Calling all tutors! Learning with Jim casting call

Ok, I've recently started doing a show called "Learning with Jim" on Smogon's official Twitch channel. It's a weekly-ish show where I get tutored live on stream by experienced players, with each guest covering a tier for a few shows before we move onto a new tier and a new guest tutor. Basically, I'm bad enough that I need tutoring, but not bad enough that I'll be a poor example for people trying to learn from the stream. The challenge here, of course, is that I need a steady stream of guests to come on the show and teach me.

So this is my casting/recruiting post. I'm looking for people with experience teaching Pokemon, that have working microphones that aren't complete and utter garbage in terms sound quality, that don't mind appearing on Twitch in front of an audience that may exceed 100 people (if we're lucky anyway), and that can do so at a time when I can actually stream. There's no solid schedule, but availability will have to be some time in the afternoon or evening (EST) on a day other than Friday.

We'll be doing the voice chat component over Skype, so if you don't have it you'll need to download it (it's free). Skype information will be exchanged via private convo.

If your interested, respond to this post or start a private convo with me. This show has been a great success so far, so I'm looking forward to your help in keeping it going!

Last edited:

Ragnarock

Banned deucer.
Been successful with every tutee that I had in terms w/ ORAS OU, so i'm interested. Obviously let's do it when i'm not completely busy and I can teach a few things.

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'd like to add that Wednesday, Thursday, and Sunday will not be happening either.

Doesn't match up with my schedule. So Monday, Tuesday, and Saturday are the only three options right now.

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
when the time comes for new tiers etc., I do believe I will be available to teach Doubles basics in this fashion.

this seems like a really good idea, as it will give a possibility for users who don't immediately get assigned a tutor to learn something anyway :]

I'd be down for this. I'm not very good at oras (and that's being generous), but I do know the metagame well, like to think I'm decent enough at the mons in general and am a good speaker as has been shown in the many smogcasts I've been in. however you'd probably want me for dpp adv and unfortunately bw! I can also do ubers alongside the mainstays of the tier.

Thanks for everyone who has volunteered! I've set up a stream with Laurel in OU for tomorrow evening (7:30 est). I'll contact the others who volunteered once your tier comes up or in the case of OU after this stream. I hope that some of you will be able to attend the pilot stream!

EDIT: Well Twitch had a security breach and all the passwords got reset, and since Ace Emerald isn't around today to change and give SuperJOCKE the password, we can't access the SmogonU Twitch account. Stream is delayed until 7:45 tomorrow. Hopefully Ace will come on before then!

Last edited:
OK seriously need some more volunteers. Particularly looking at RU and NU right now, though Ubers and Doubles would be OK too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)