Bulu/Muk/P2 help

Running a fairly successful core with my Tapu Bulu, Muk, and Porygon2. My problem is that I really need Pokemon to fill in the other 3 slots. As it stands, my EV spreads are still simple until I have a full team for testing and I have 2 slots tentatively filled and one slot completely vacant for lack of ideas. Let's start with what is certain:

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
Grassy Surge; Jolly Nature (it's the one I caught and kept...)
252 HP/252 Atk/4 Spd
- Horn Leech
- Rock Slide
- Leech Seed
- Protect
Muk @ Black Sludge
Poison Touch; Impish Nature
252 HP/4 Atk/252 Def
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Shadow Sneak
- Protect
Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Download; Calm Nature
252 HP/252 Def/4 SpA
- Tri Attack
- Shadow Ball/Ice Beam
- Trick Room
- Recover

This core works really well for me. I have a speed control option to shift things into my favor with the best TR setter in the meta. It also provides me with at least 1 special attacker, though it isn't ideal. Muk provides a tanky support that can eliminate other P2s, Tapus, and get rid of general nuisance items. Bulu is the heavy hitter of the 3, sporting a massive attack stat that doubles as faux-HP through GT boosted Horn Leech.

I figure I need a couple things to round out what I have: 1) a competent special attacker, 2) a spread move user to threaten both enemy slots and avoid Protect mind games, 3) a competent special wall.

With that in mind, I thought Arcanine would be a good fit. It resists 3 of Bulu's weaknesses, provides immense stat support through it's move pool, and Intimidate is just gravy.

Arcanine @ Sitrus Berry
Intimidate; Calm Nature
252 HP/4 SpA/252 SpD
- Flamethrower
- Will-o-Wisp
- Snarl
- Protect

One of Bulu's big weaknesses that I've found is Poison Jab Garchomp. I don't have an adequate way, yet, of dealing with a fairly common threat. A wicked Ice Beam is necessary to take it out. Combined with a spread attack, I'm considering either Wishiwashi or Vaporeon for the role as both have Muddy Water and Ice Beam. They have respectable stats, function under TR, and can one-shot most 'Chomps. But, I'm torn between the two.

As for the last slot, it's really open. If I go Wishiwashi, another TR setter or Speed Swap user seems decent (looking at you, Ribombee and/or Mimikyu). Vaporeon is in that middling speed tier where I could get away without another TR setter if I play carefully and pick another Pokemon that is relatively independent of it. Another option for support is rain from either Pelipper or Politoed. It reduces fire damage, and boosts the power of my other Water type's spread attack. I've also been considering a combination of Milotic and Drampa to fill the last two slots and give me the things I'm missing in my core.

TL;DR: Please help fill in the blanks: Tapu Bulu/Muk/Porygon2/Arcanine/(water-type)/-

Last edited:
That Water Type should probably be Araquanid. If your running trick room and want a ton of damage, Araquanid.

Here are some calcs to back this up.

252+ Atk Life Orb Water Bubble Araquanid Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele: 335-398 (97.3 - 115.6%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Water Bubble Araquanid Liquidation vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Garchomp: 276-328 (77.3 - 91.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

As for the other member, if you want trick room go Orangoru or Mimikyu. Those two are two of the most common trick room setters.
Poitoed is a really great rain setter with scald, and has Perish Song and Encore for great support

Those are my thoughts for the two last team members

Firstly, before posting here you need to complete the mandatory homework assignment.

This core looks very similar to the second to last iteration of Ashin Mehta's San Jose team, which is a variation of Wolfe's London team. Here is a link to his team report (you can find Wolfe's team report by searching on youtube).
http://www.trainertower.com/the-deadly-magnet-and-slug-a-top-8-san-jose-regionals-report/

However, there are some issues with the Pokemon. Muk wants a +Attack nature as it is its highest base stat and a bit of investment is required to ensure certain important offensive benchmarks are hit. Poison Touch isn't ideal, as in most situations Muk benefits much more from Gluttony+Figy Berry. There are certain situations where AV is a decent option and Poison Touch would be the preferred ability, but these are very team specific. Bulu really loses a lot by not running an Adamant nature. I can't think of anything significant that Jolly allows Bulu to outspeed, so Adamant is always the preferred nature on Bulu. Just an example of what I mean, your current Bulu hits HP, Att, Sp.Def and Speed stats of 177, 182, 116 and 104 (assuming perfect IVs). These same exact stats can be reached with a lot less investment with an Adamant nature (the speed stat is reached with a 68 EV investment, while the attack stat is reached with 124 EVs invested, leaving 60 EVs to play with that would have otherwise been wasted). I'm not saying this is a good spread as it doesn't hit any specific benchmarks, but I hope this explains the importance of having the right natures.

Firstly, before posting here you need to complete the mandatory homework assignment.

This core looks very similar to the second to last iteration of Ashin Mehta's San Jose team, which is a variation of Wolfe's London team. Here is a link to his team report (you can find Wolfe's team report by searching on youtube).
http://www.trainertower.com/the-deadly-magnet-and-slug-a-top-8-san-jose-regionals-report/

However, there are some issues with the Pokemon. Muk wants a +Attack nature as it is its highest base stat and a bit of investment is required to ensure certain important offensive benchmarks are hit. Poison Touch isn't ideal, as in most situations Muk benefits much more from Gluttony+Figy Berry. There are certain situations where AV is a decent option and Poison Touch would be the preferred ability, but these are very team specific. Bulu really loses a lot by not running an Adamant nature. I can't think of anything significant that Jolly allows Bulu to outspeed, so Adamant is always the preferred nature on Bulu. Just an example of what I mean, your current Bulu hits HP, Att, Sp.Def and Speed stats of 177, 182, 116 and 104 (assuming perfect IVs). These same exact stats can be reached with a lot less investment with an Adamant nature (the speed stat is reached with a 68 EV investment, while the attack stat is reached with 124 EVs invested, leaving 60 EVs to play with that would have otherwise been wasted). I'm not saying this is a good spread as it doesn't hit any specific benchmarks, but I hope this explains the importance of having the right natures.
I look at the top listings, but I've been trying to make this from scratch as much as possible. I guess he and I must have had similar ideas. Anyway, you're probably right on Gluttony, but I've always used Black Sludge. I've also noticed the lack of damage on the Muk. I've mostly been using it for utility and tanking hits more than damage. Both ideas are definitely worth exploring. The Bulu's nature is just something I can't change without a game reset. I'll just have to deal with that.

That Water Type should probably be Araquanid. If your running trick room and want a ton of damage, Araquanid.

Here are some calcs to back this up.

252+ Atk Life Orb Water Bubble Araquanid Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele: 335-398 (97.3 - 115.6%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Water Bubble Araquanid Liquidation vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Garchomp: 276-328 (77.3 - 91.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

As for the other member, if you want trick room go Orangoru or Mimikyu. Those two are two of the most common trick room setters.
Poitoed is a really great rain setter with scald, and has Perish Song and Encore for great support

Those are my thoughts for the two last team members
Have heavily considered Araquanid for that slot, but I'm still short a spread attacker. The last slot, with Araquanid, screams out for another TR setter, but none of them are really offensive powerhouses with access to spread attacks. The best combination that I can see is Araquanid+Drampa and I've run out of slots for a TR setter other than P2.

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Have heavily considered Araquanid for that slot, but I'm still short a spread attacker. The last slot, with Araquanid, screams out for another TR setter, but none of them are really offensive powerhouses with access to spread attacks. The best combination that I can see is Araquanid+Drampa and I've run out of slots for a TR setter other than P2.
why would you need another setter? the mons should be able to function reasonably effectively without tr, using tr as a trump card. building a team which can't function unless every step of your plan is executed flawlessly is begging to lose to any sort of disruption.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)