SM OU Bull's Eye - Tapu Bulu Bull-ky Offense Team

I was really tempted to choose a different title

Bull's Eye

Tapu Bulu has gotten really, really good recently. I remember how just several months ago, it was using an Assault Vest set with Wood Hammer. Now that the Specially Defensive Swords Dance set has become so popular it outclassed AV and became its main set, Tapu Bulu is sitting at A+. I was really excited to try out Tapu Bulu, but I haven't until I made this team a couple of weeks ago. While I do like how it's turning out, it really needs a few more tweaks.

The Team:

Tapu Bulu
Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Synthesis

Tapu Bulu is used as a wallbreaker, and I often like to use them to soak up hits. I chose this EV spread because 248 HP, 252 Special Defense, and a Careful nature helps Bulu survive super effective hits, like Heatran's Magma Storm and Tornadus-T's Hurricane. I didn't maximize the HP because 248 HP gives you more recovery from Leftovers and Grassy Surge. (I don't know how the math works, I'm just repeating what people told me in the chatroom) I put the rest into Defense. I'm using Leftovers because it heps keep Tapu Bulu healthy by providing passive recovery, and it recovers quite a bit when in Grassy Terrain! Swords Dance helps Tapu Bulu break past Clefable and Reuniclus. Horn Leech is a good move that does a good amount of damage under the terrain, and recovers a nice amount of HP. Superpower is for dealing with Steel types like Heatran and Ferrothorn. Because 4 recovery options isn't enough, Synthesis is for more reliable recovery, especially when it forces something to switch out.

Heatran
Heatran @ Firium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Heatran forms a nice core with Tapu Bulu, as it can absorb any Poison or Fire moves that come their way. Heatran is also able to trap the opponent and damage them a little each turn. This can be useful when facing stall. Earth Power is used to hit other Heatran, as well as Toxapex. Taunt shuts down passive walls like Toxapex and Chansey, making them easier to deal with. Stealth Rock, well, duh. The 252 Speed EVs is used to outspeed Timid Magearna and speed tie most other Heatran. I'm using Firium Z to fire off a poweful Inferno Overdrive, which KOs Mega Sableye after Magma Storm damage and OHKO Tangrowth before it can pull off an Earthquake.

Kartana
Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike
- Knock Off

I've been loving Kartana lately! I chose them because they formed a nice core with Tapu Bulu. Because of Kartana's already sky high attack stat and good STAB move, Grassy Terrain turns it into a monster! Kartana also blocks any Poison moves like Sludge Wave. Beast Boost also makes it a devastating sweeper. Leaf Blade is Kartana's best STAB move, especially with its high crit rate. Sacred Sword compliments this because it can hit Heatran, Ferrothorn, and other Steel types and it ignores stat changes. Smart Strike is used to hit opposing Tapu Bulu and Clefable. Knock Off is used to cripple Pokemon that wall Kartana, like Zapdos and Celesteela. I’ve been using Choice Scarf because I kept having scenarios where I wished I was scarfed, particularly when facing one of my bigger threats in Mega Lopunny.

Sacred Sword vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Lopunny-Mega: 266-314 (98.1 - 115.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

And, surprise surprise, Lopunny can OHKO with HJK, so Scarf really helps out here.

I was also recommended Scarf Victini and Zapdos, but I wasn’t really feeling the latter and I still gotta try Victini. I wanna know what you guys think!

Tornadus-T
Tornadus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Defog

Tornadus is meant to be a pivot. He’s meant to help with Lopunny, especially when it comes to their strong physical attacks. Rocky Helmet is meant to punish these attackers and U-Turn users like Landorus or Mega Scizor. It also hurts Bulu and Kartana. Hurricane is meant to hit Kartana, Tapu Bulu, and Mega Medicham. Knock Off cripples Pokemon that resist Hurricane and would otherwise wall Tornadus, like Celesteela, Zapdos, and Heatran. U-Turn helps Tornadus serve as a pivot and bring in teammates safely. Maximum HP investment allows Tornadus to take hits from Kartana, Tapu Bulu, and non-Stone Edge Landorus-T.

Ash Greninja
Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes

Ash Greninja is a very versatile mon that can be a sweeper, wallbreaker, or cleaner. I'm using Hydro Pump because it is a powerful move that lets Ash Greninja grab more KO's than a move like Surf, though I have to pray to RNGesus that it hits. Water Shuriken is a powerful, 3-hit priority move that helps it revenge kill. Dark Pulse is meant to hit Pokemon that resist Hydro Pump, like Toxapex (sort of, it's still a hard matchup), Tapu Fini, and Gastrodon. It also deals with non-Scarfed variants of Kartana. While both Hydro Pump and Dark Pulse secure the OHKO, do you really wanna miss a Hydro Pump against a Kartana? Spikes is really helpful to wear down the opposing team and helps to grab KOs, most noticeably, it puts Toxapex into a 2HKO range from Dark Pulse. Choice Specs significantly boosts Greninja's attacking power, and it doesn't come with the Life Orb recoil penalty.

Some people (neomon) have also recommended Protean Greninja. It's a bit of an untraditional set, but they recommended this set:
Greninja @ Expert Belt
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power Fire
- Spikes

Well, they just mentioned the moves and the item. I just took the EV spread and nature from the traditional Protean set. It's meant to help against stall.

Mega Medicham
Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch

Mega Medicham is used as a wallbreaker. Fake Out is used to deal chip damage, finish off weakened threats like Ash Greninja, Mega Alakazam, and Tapu Koko, and it's good for scouting to see if the opponent will switch or not. High Jump Kick is a hard hitting STAB Fighting move, which is deadly since Medicham has Pure Power. Zen Headbutt hits Toxapex, Amoonguss, and Mega Venusaur. Ice Punch is used to provide a good amount of coverage alongside High Jump Kick, being able to super effectively hit Landorus, Tornadus, Zapdos, and the Mega Lati Twins. Most noticeably, it can 2HKO Mega Latias. I'm using a Jolly nature to outspeed Kyurem-B, Tapu Lele, and Landorus-T. Telepathy is used over Pure Power in its base form because it stops Ditto from abusing Pure Power before Medicham mega evolves. While this is a rare case, there is no reason for Medicham to stay in its base form anyway.

Threats

Mega Lopunny

Tangrowth

Zapdos

Mega Medicham

Stall
Stall teams are a really bad match up for me. Pokemon like Alomomola, and the aforementioned Tangrowth and Zapdos really make it hard for me. These Pokemon just don't die...

Rotom Wash
I know I have 2 Grass types, but they're both physical and I'm afraid of Will-o-Wisp.
Also Kartana has absolute garbage special defense.
Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Synthesis

Heatran @ Firium Z
Modest Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike
- Knock Off

Tornadus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Defog

Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes

Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Telepathy
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch

Replays

Wins:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-864451495
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-864457471

Losses:

Attachments

Last edited:
This team looks good man, totally my kind of build and i'm gonna use it for sure but i'm puzzled as to how you deal with specs lele. Heatran can tank some hits but i wouldn't throw it in its way without grassy terrain up. has it ever been a problem for you?

This team looks good man, totally my kind of build and i'm gonna use it for sure but i'm puzzled as to how you deal with specs lele. Heatran can tank some hits but i wouldn't throw it in its way without grassy terrain up. has it ever been a problem for you?
I mean, I don't remember having too much trouble with it. After all, I do have Kartana.

As already said team looks pretty solid, doing a bit of theory here, but if you potentially want to lure in zapdos/ tangrowth to help the matchup vs them you could run toxic over one of the potential coverage options on kart. Toxic on torn is also an option as it lures Rotom-Wash and zapdos. It also can potentially help against mega latias who seems a bit annoying for the team. Rockium z Garchomp/ z fb torn is also a pain.

Last edited:
As already said team looks pretty solid, doing a bit of theory here, but if you potentially want to lure in zapdos/ tangrowth to help the matchup vs them you could run toxic over one of the potential coverage options on kart. Toxic on torn is also an option as it lures Rotom-Wash and zapdos. It also can potentially help against mega latias who seems a bit annoying for the team. Rockium z Garchomp/ z fb torn is also a pain.
I think I'd rather put Toxic on Tornadus, since it would suck to be locked into Toxic on Kartana.

What move would I give up? Not 100% sure if I'm going to go for it, but I just wanted to know.

I think I'd rather put Toxic on Tornadus, since it would suck to be locked into Toxic on Kartana.

What move would I give up? Not 100% sure if I'm going to go for it, but I just wanted to know.
I'd say best option would be knock off, only things that I see knock off hitting for anything really worth it is chansey/opposing torn/ heatran, and tangrowth, two of those sometimes being z move instead ,so besides knock off revealing that it's z move, I don't see it doing much that medicham or heatran doesn't cover already.

I'd say best option would be knock off, only things that I see knock off hitting for anything really worth it is chansey/opposing torn/ heatran, and tangrowth, two of those sometimes being z move instead ,so besides knock off revealing that it's z move, I don't see it doing much that medicham or heatran doesn't cover already.
Yeah. but I believe finding out the z on a switch in gives crucial input for a good switch in and allows you to gain momentum. Plus 130 damage on ko is enough to get a ko on a chipped mon, and beast boost on a 180 base kart racks up QUICKLY.

Yeah. but I believe finding out the z on a switch in gives crucial input for a good switch in and allows you to gain momentum. Plus 130 damage on ko is enough to get a ko on a chipped mon, and beast boost on a 180 base kart racks up QUICKLY.
I'm talking about removing knock off on tornadus as that's what they decided. On kartana, it's a nice coverage for it but it's still optional and not something I'd say is absolutely required. And just cause you know it's z move doesn't exactly help you switch into it, if anything it makes it more daunting. For example, you knock a heatran and you see it's z move, you're now worried about whether it's firium, steelium, or something uncommon such as grassium. And getting chip damage for kart shouldn't be that hard especially with medicham and Ash-Greninja.

I'm talking about removing knock off on tornadus as that's what they decided. On kartana, it's a nice coverage for it but it's still optional and not something I'd say is absolutely required. And just cause you know it's z move doesn't exactly help you switch into it, if anything it makes it more daunting. For example, you knock a heatran and you see it's z move, you're now worried about whether it's firium, steelium, or something uncommon such as grassium. And getting chip damage for kart shouldn't be that hard especially with medicham and Ash-Greninja.
I think they mean it helps you figure out what kind of set they’re running

It does make it safer, and more daunting at the same time. You can kind of predict what the z will be based on the rest of their mons and their moves. The only situation in which knock off doesn't help you out is if you're lead, but who the hell leads with Kartana anyway.

On the Torn, it makes sense I guess.

Yo bro, i would like to give my point of view of the team, since it could help you, first i'd like to say that it's a cool one, it can be used without changing anything and you are going to have success for sure, the offensive core is very strong and Torna helps you pivoting.

Z Heatran and Kartana aren't enough to stop threats like Kazam or Tapu Lele unless you play the game very well and pressure a lot.
Fighting types like Medi or Lopu are very difficult to switch out, considering that Lopunny 2HKOs and outspeeds Torna, but well, Kartana is a good RK so you are fine if you don't get predicted and Medi has free ins.
And well, stall isn't such a big problem, it depends on how you play against it because you have enough wallbreakers.

I suggest you to try the team with Lando T as the scarfer, over Kartana
>>>

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 232 HP / 80 Atk / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Explosion

A set with enough bulk to switch on Lopu and Medi and also threatens as a revenge killer, fits well here i guess.

You could also try to use a bulkier Tran set to help around with Lele and Kazam, and well psychic/fairy types in general.

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 128 SpD / 132 Spe
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Toxic

And finally last thing i think you could try is using Z Hurricane or Focus Torna if you try a version with Spdef Tran, or well without changing anything of the team you could maybe use Taunt over U-Turn to help with Stall MUs

Yo bro, i would like to give my point of view of the team, since it could help you, first i'd like to say that it's a cool one, it can be used without changing anything and you are going to have success for sure, the offensive core is very strong and Torna helps you pivoting.

Z Heatran and Kartana aren't enough to stop threats like Kazam or Tapu Lele unless you play the game very well and pressure a lot.
Fighting types like Medi or Lopu are very difficult to switch out, considering that Lopunny 2HKOs and outspeeds Torna, but well, Kartana is a good RK so you are fine if you don't get predicted and Medi has free ins.
And well, stall isn't such a big problem, it depends on how you play against it because you have enough wallbreakers.

I suggest you to try the team with Lando T as the scarfer, over Kartana
>>>

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 232 HP / 80 Atk / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Explosion

A set with enough bulk to switch on Lopu and Medi and also threatens as a revenge killer, fits well here i guess.

You could also try to use a bulkier Tran set to help around with Lele and Kazam, and well psychic/fairy types in general.

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 128 SpD / 132 Spe
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Toxic

And finally last thing i think you could try is using Z Hurricane or Focus Torna if you try a version with Spdef Tran, or well without changing anything of the team you could maybe use Taunt over U-Turn to help with Stall MUs
I guess I could try Landorus-T as a scarfer!

I'll try these changes! Thank you so much!

Hi, NylaTheWolf

Nice team you got there, Kartana + Tapu Bulu is a really nice core, and I like the way you approached it. However, as you mentioned, the Kartana weakness is a bit overwhelming, also Ash-Greninja and your own Heatran is far from enough for opposing Heatran, I'd say, so I think you could try a sturdier check. Other threats like Flynium Z Landorus-T and Mega Lopunny also look a bit scary, so with that in mind I'm suggesting these changes:

Major Changes
  • Tornadus-T > Zapdos
    • Code:
      Zapdos @ Leftovers
      Ability: Static
      EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
      Bold Nature
      - Discharge
      - Heat Wave
      - Defog
      - Roost
    • Zapdos helps against opposing Kartana, Flynium Z Landorus-T, Mega Lopunny, and has a decent enough matchup against Mega Medicham, as you can Roost on Ice Punch until Mega Medicham gets paralyzed. Zapdos is also a Defogger that doesn't lose to Ferrothorn, which is alway nice. Lastly, it also provides another Flying resist, which can be nice for opposing Tornadus-T.

• Mega Medicham > Garchomp
    • Code:
      Garchomp @ Rockium Z
      Ability: Rough Skin
      Jolly Nature
      - Earthquake
      - Stone Edge
      - Swords Dance
      - Stealth Rock
    • While Garchomp may seem a bit odd here as its Earthquakes are weakened, 5 turns of Grassy Terrain is definitely something you can play around, and honeslty, Garchomp is the perfect fit here, aside from this minor nuisance, it checks Heatran for you, frees up a moveslot for Heatran (Stealth Rock), helps pressure Zapdos and Tornadus-T that could annoy Kartana, and also puts Landorus-T in range of Kartana, which is very notable. Finally, having a Ground-type is very important on pretty much every team, as blocking Volt Switch is really important, especially from Tapu Koko, even though Garchomp is nuked by Hidden Power Ice, it makes your opponent think twice before mindlessly clicking Volt Switch every single time.
Minor Changes
  • Offensive —> Defensive
    • Code:
      Heatran @ Leftovers
      EVs: 252 HP / 128 SpD / 128 Spe
      Calm Nature
      - Magma Storm
      - Earth Power
      - Toxic
      - Taunt
    • A more defensive Heatran sets lets your team more adequately handle threats like Tapu Lele, Mega Alakazam, and Mega Mawile. Since you already have Stealth Rock on Garchomp, you can afford to run Toxic and annoy most Heatran switch ins, especially Mega Alakazam.
So these are my suggestions for your team! I hope you liked the changes. Shoutouts to talah for helping me a bit with the rate, you're the best bruh! Anyway here's the final team:

Code:
Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Synthesis

Heatran @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Taunt

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike
- Knock Off

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Heat Wave
- Defog
- Roost

Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes

Garchomp @ Rockium Z
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

Last edited:
Hi, NylaTheWolf

Nice team you got there, Kartana + Tapu Bulu is a really nice core, and I like the way you approached it. However, as you mentioned, the Kartana weakness is a bit overwhelming, also Ash-Greninja and your own Heatran is far from enough for opposing Heatran, I'd say, so I think you could try a sturdier check. Other threats like Flynium Z Landorus-T and Mega Lopunny also look a bit scary, so with that in mind I'm suggesting these changes:

Major Changes
  • Tornadus-T > Zapdos
    • Code:
      Zapdos @ Leftovers
      Bold Nature
      - Discharge
      - Heat Wave
      - Defog
      - Roost
    • Zapdos helps against opposing Kartana, Flynium Z Landorus-T, Mega Lopunny, and has a decent enough matchup against Mega Medicham, as you can Roost on Ice Punch until Mega Medicham gets paralyzed. Zapdos is also a Defogger that doesn't lose to Ferrothorn, which is alway nice. Lastly, it also provides another Flying resist, which can be nice for opposing Tornadus-T.

• Mega Medicham > Garchomp
    • Code:
      Garchomp @ Rockium Z
      Jolly Nature
      - Earthquake
      - Stone Edge
      - Swords Dance
      - Stealth Rock
    • While Garchomp may seem a bit odd here as its Earthquakes are weakened, 5 turns of Grassy Terrain is definitely something you can play around, and honeslty, Garchomp is the perfect fit here, aside from this minor nuisance, it checks Heatran for you, frees up a moveslot for Heatran (Stealth Rock), helps pressure Zapdos and Tornadus-T that could annoy Kartana, and also puts Landorus-T in range of Kartana, which is very notable. Finally, having a Ground-type is very important on pretty much every team, as blocking Volt Switch is really important, especially from Tapu Koko, even though Garchomp is nuked by Hidden Power Ice, it makes your opponent think twice before mindlessly clicking Volt Switch every single time.
Minor Changes
  • Offensive —> Defensive
    • Code:
      Heatran @ Leftovers
      Calm Nature
      - Magma Storm
      - Earth Power
      - Toxic
      - Taunt
    • A more defensive Heatran sets lets your team more adequately handle threats like Tapu Lele, Mega Alakazam, and Mega Mawile. Since you already have Stealth Rock on Garchomp, you can afford to run Toxic and annoy most Heatran switch ins, especially Mega Alakazam.
So these are my suggestions for your team! I hope you liked the changes. Shoutouts to talah for helping me a bit with the rate, you're the best bruh! Anyway here's the final team:

Code:
Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Synthesis

Heatran @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Taunt

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike
- Knock Off

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Heat Wave
- Defog
- Roost

Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes

Garchomp @ Rockium Z
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock
I actually really like this!! Thanks a million, buddy!!

I'm a bit iffy on not having a mega, but I'll try it out! Thanks again!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)