Project Break This Team (Week 42)

I somehow missed it before but something tells me that Zard-X is going to have a lot of fun with this team considering the team gives it so many set-up opportunities what with Foul Play-less Mega Sab, Zapdos, Thunder Wave-less Clef and Tangrowth. Your counterplay to it is Gastrodon which is normally fodder for Serperior or Manaphy which gets paired up with Zard-X in most teams.

Posho

local gaymer weeb
is a Tiering Contributoris the Smogon Tour Season 23 Championis a Past SCL Champion
As it is my team I could say some of its weaknesses, one for example and the most noticeable are Dark types that attack by the physical side, my counterplay for them are Clef, Gastro (which is able to tank at least 1 hit from them) and Tangrowth which are easily overwhelmed by strong attackers like Bisharp, Weavile and band Tyranitar. Cores like Mew + Sableye counter are incredible annoying to deal with since I'm barely able to touch Mew, breaking through other common stalls is difficult for it too, etc.

lol sd chomp.
bold clef and tangrowth .-.

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Ability: Aerilate
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Frustration
- Quick Attack
- Stone Edge

Edge pinsir is cool since it OHKOs zapdos at +2. if u set up on something like chansey or clef or tangrowth the game is p much over oo

jolly still OHKOs zap at +2 idk what the cool kids in OU run these days if jolly is better or something.

Last edited:
posho ur a god and all and I fucking love you dude. However, I am an extremely careful and meticulous teambuilder. How easy is it to pressure clef? very. Especially because it's unaware and hazards. Also imo ff sd is decidedly average because doing a strong 50 to tang and skarm isn't great, so I use blast, but I'm not sure about others. However ABR chomp still has no switchins.

If anyone wants to test cores Im available tommorow. Also Reserving Mega Lopunny + Gengar

+

Sets
Playgirl of Demise (Lopunny) (F) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Shiny: Yes
Jolly Nature
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Substitute
- Power Up Punch

Ghost of Ending (Gengar) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Trick

Explanation: Gengar alone is a nightmare as nothing can switch into shadowball save for chansey whom does not like to be tricked or deal with its partner. Even Mega Sableye struggles with he specs boosted shadowball and is forced to come in cleanly just to check it and while Gengar wont always 6-0 it puts in plently of Work. Mega Lopunny is the perfect partner in crime dealing with chansey and exploiting swtiching oppurtunities with PUP/Sub to punch holes through everything short of unaware clef who is both easily worn down and Beatan Gengar

Viability: The Lopunny Goon Squad has long proven viable in the game dealing with a wide range of threats in as few slots as possible and while the bulky meta and gengar frailness have reduced the cores effectiveness its still something to look out for

Replays: Sorry about my lack of replays. I forget to save them ROFL

Last edited:
Well Lots of discussion this week (Well 2 more like it) but only 3 cores oh well. Anyway its time to vote so please give a warm welcome to.

Core 1 - Heatran + Gliscor
Core 2 - Mega Pinser + Healing Wish Jirachi (I normally wouldn't allow a single mon so I added a Healing wisher to it. Done some testing and pinser can nearly shred the team solo so I will allow it this once)
Core 3 - Mega Lopunny + Gengar

Since theres only 3 cores everyone will get 1 vote. Voting ends Monday night or Tuesday morning depending on how busy we are. Goodluck and may the best core win. I'll update the hall of fame soon :)

Core 1

Fat teams really hate facing Stallbreakers like these and they don't really have a counterplay to this kind of strategy as they lack the offenses to take Gliscor down quickly.

Sorry about taking so long Work blindsided me. Anyway its tiume to wrap things up. Congrats to Clair and Creator of Chaos for adding to there hall of fame tally for this week with there respective core's. Small turn out but nonetheless thanks :)

Votes
Core 1 - 2
Core 3 - 2

This week we are borrowing from the team sample thread again and cosine180 s team shall be our victim. Diancie has been a force in the metagame in recent months and as my favourite fairy (So much better then that borring gardevoir) its only fair she gets her time in the sun. The team is built around Diancie and talonflame and is a bulky offense squad. So here enjoy

Sets
Hydrogen Oxide (Kyurem-Black) @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Roost

Carbon (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Knock Off
- Power Whip

Dolomite (Landorus-Therian) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
IVs: 29 Spe
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

H2O (Starmie) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Thunder Wave
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Eosphorite (Diancie) @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Protect

Oxygen (Talonflame) @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 224 SpD / 36 Spe
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Will-O-Wisp
- Brave Bird
- Roost

Explanation: The Team is built around Max attack diancie and her ability to lure and break down its usual checks specifically Standard Clef, Chansey after rocks and the like. Steels Sadly make her life hard even with Hidden power fire so shes partnered with Wisp Talon to not only check steels but lure in grounds to. Kyurem is added to break apart bulky teams. Ferrothorn exploits Diancies, Kyruems and talons abilities to force switchs by setting up spikes and acts as another steel Check. Bulky lando sets up rocks and further diancie. Bulky Starmie rounds out the team providing vital speed control and dealing with speedy threats.

Anyway Enjoy the team guys and goodluck :).

+

Thundurus (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 32 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 220 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Explanation: Thundurus is probably the single most threatening pokemon vs this team. It 1v1s Landorus, Talonflame, Starmie, and Ferrothorn unboosted. While boosted, it outright OHKO's the entire team (assuming it hits). The Manaphy set is straightforward and not that obscure. You simply click Tail Glow vs Lando-T or whatever and guarantee a kill or more. All they can do vs this set is allow you to get +6 by Twaving with Starmie, but that is generally a huge risk considering that Rain Dance is possible and even if they go Starmie they are losing 1 or 2 pokemon vs a +6 Manaphy (nothing on the team can outright OHKO it).

Viability: The Thundurus set is pretty much as standard as it gets, so I'm not gonna comment much on it. Basically lefties > orb on almost all NP sets, but in particular vs this team so you can click freely without having to predict ever. As for Manaphy, the set is less standard than that of Thundurus but it is still plenty viable. HP Fire Manaphy is a great tool for tearing apart balanace teams that rely on Ferrothorn as an initial switchin to it, while also hitting grasses like Tang/Amoong for decent damage. Once TG, Scald, and HP Fire are on the set, it really comes down to Shadow Ball or Dazzling Gleam, as both hit Lati@s + others. Sball hits Starmie + Slowbro harder while Dgleam hits Keldeo + Kyurem harder. I like Dgleam more at the moment due to the surge in Specs Kyurem usage anyways.

Last edited:

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 208 Def / 52 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
Rotom-Wash annoys everything on this team that isn't named Kyurem-Black, and actively counters Starmie, Talonflame, and Landorus-T. It can basically click Volt Switch once it gets in on any of those three, or Hydro Pump if you enjoy overpredicting with a pivot for some reason. Given that the switch-in will likely be Kyurem-Black or Ferrothorn, Mega Scizor makes a solid teammate. It hard-counters the former and can click Swords Dance on the latter while Roosting off the Leech Seed damage. Starmie and Talonflame threaten it, but the former REALLY hates switching in on U-Turn, while the latter still can't do anything against Rotom-Wash.

These are bog-standard sets on A+ mons, with the exception of Rotom-Wash's speed creep, which lets it outspeed standard 8 Spe Lando-T. Obviously, it only needs 36 Speed EVs to outspeed this team's Lando-T, but it'll need more to outspeed other Lando-T.

Last edited:

MegaStarUniverse

Banned deucer.

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Thunder Punch
- Ice Punch
- Hammer Arm

How does this team handle M-Metagross along with the combined force of Specs Keldeo? Everyone on the team either dies or comes close to it if you click the right move. Defensively M-Metagross can switch into M-Diancie then threaten the whole team with Ice-Punch, Thunder Punch, Meteor Mash, and Hammer Arm. and Keldeo can catch its switch in Starmie with HP Electric and force some predictions. Overall M-Metagross + Keldeo can Break a lot of the team. here is a replay showing a team around M-Metagross where it gets 3 kills and damage on Landorus-T http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ou-197887[/hide]

+

Sets
Death Incarnate (Clefable) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled

Dark nostalgia (Reuniclus) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
Bold Nature
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Calm Mind
- Recover

Explanation: This Team tends to struggle against fat set-up sweepers and is extremly reliant on Talonflame to check the most omni-present pokemon in the metagame Clefable since Ferrothorn Lacks Ironhead and any clef that is Bold will beat this Diancie. As good as this team is that is a huge glaring weakness that will cost games. So what happens when you start spamming calm mind. The Team virtually implodes. 4 of this teams mons are downright set up fodder for both, Starmie relies on para hax to not get set up on and Talon can be beaten with your own Parahax. Basically the idea is if one member of the core cant destroy the team the Other certainly will. Clefable can switch directly into ferro, Diancie and Lando with ease and just calm mind. Can cleanly switch into kyurem and do the same or play paragames. Reuniclus Can do the same but also switch directly kyurem and shadowball starmie if dares stay in on it. Talon is tricky but can be needs to play around rocks and brave bird recoil so it cant really counter both.

Viability: Arguebly the best Calm mind spam core in the game capable of dealing with each others checks and overwelming poorly built teams it is somewhat rare due reu's dark weakness. All said tho clefable is the number one pokemon in OU for a reason and Reu is still very much a threat so its a good partner.

Fast Physical set up sweepers like Scizor, Fast SD talon and CB victini are troublesome so pairing the 2 up with rocky helm/Barb users or mega's like manetric are essential.

Replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-448657052 As you can see y ferro and lando go down early getting hazards up and weakening talon but once reu comes in its virtually game over right there as it sets up on diancie. Pretty much nothing that could be done to stop it

FlamingVictini

FV - msg on discord FlamingVictini#3784
is a Top Tiering Contributorwon the 16th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
+

Sets
Death Incarnate (Clefable) (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled

Dark nostalgia (Reuniclus) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
Bold Nature
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Calm Mind
- Recover

Explanation: This Team tends to struggle against fat set-up sweepers and is extremly reliant on Talonflame to check the most omni-present pokemon in the metagame Clefable since Ferrothorn Lacks Ironhead and any clef that is Bold will beat this Diancie. As good as this team is that is a huge glaring weakness that will cost games. So what happens when you start spamming calm mind. The Team virtually implodes. 4 of this teams mons are downright set up fodder for both, Starmie relies on para hax to not get set up on and Talon can be beaten with your own Parahax. Basically the idea is if one member of the core cant destroy the team the Other certainly will. Clefable can switch directly into ferro, Diancie and Lando with ease and just calm mind. Can cleanly switch into kyurem and do the same or play paragames. Reuniclus Can do the same but also switch directly kyurem and shadowball starmie if dares stay in on it. Talon is tricky but can be needs to play around rocks and brave bird recoil so it cant really counter both.

Viability: Arguebly the best Calm mind spam core in the game capable of dealing with each others checks and overwelming poorly built teams it is somewhat rare due reu's dark weakness. All said tho clefable is the number one pokemon in OU for a reason and Reu is still very much a threat so its a good partner.

Fast Physical set up sweepers like Scizor, Fast SD talon and CB victini are troublesome so pairing the 2 up with rocky helm/Barb users or mega's like manetric are essential.

Replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-448657052 As you can see y ferro and lando go down early getting hazards up and weakening talon but once reu comes in its virtually game over right there as it sets up on diancie. Pretty much nothing that could be done to stop it
I just wanted to comment since I was browsing this thread that cosine's team team is also extremely similar to many other variants that utilize diancie / talon / starmie / ferro / lando (or hippowdon) / filler, such as GTM's version which uses cm raikou > kyub (or Jamvad's version with hippo and cofagrigus). My personal opinion about these types of builds is that the filler slot should be able to handle fat set-up sweepers like reuni or cm resttalk cune because they otherwise just fall prey to them (for example, one of my favorite variants is one abr used vs me in olt 2 with cb hoopa (when it was ou) in the filler slot), so its seems very natural that a variation utilizing something like kyub would fall prety to reuniclus (and/or clefable). While the other cores are definitely really strong, I find this one really hits at the underlying weakness of the squad.

Thanks FlamingVictini . The team Is good but given that calm minders are pretty common at the moment It's a glaring weakness. I'd definitely swap kyub for something that could smash calm minders.

Anyway guys last chance to post cores or discuss the team. Voting go's up tonight

Alright my fairy enjoying OU friends the time for discussion and core posting is over. Time to vote on a core and I can say Im pleased with everyone's contributions So far. Anyway I'm off to Singapore tomorrow for a week so I'll be able a tad more available then I have been for next weeks team if anyone is interested. If I get a lack a pokemon battles you will all be punished with a T-wave spam Squad so dont disappoint.

Core 1 - Thundorous + Manaphy
Core 2 - Rotom W + Mega Scizor
Core 3 - Keldeo + Mega Metagross
Core 4 - Reuniclus + Clefable

Everyone gets 1 Vote and voting will end Friday night or Saturday Morning. Goodluck

Core 1

ABR really hit the nail on the head here with NP Thundurus, as it both exploits the lack of defensive answers and offensive counterplay. HP Fire Mana is another scary opponent as this team relies primarily on Ferro to keep Mana in check.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)