OU Blacephalon

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
[OVERVIEW]

Blacephalon is blessed with an outstanding Special Attack stat, which, coupled with its great offensive typing in Fire / Ghost, turns it into a deadly wallbreaker. Blacephalon sets itself apart from other special wallbreakers thanks to its high Speed stat, which lets it act as a late-game cleaner and revenge killer when equipped with a Choice Scarf and outspeed a fair amount of the metagame without a boosting item. On top of that, Blacephalon's Beast Boost ability boosts its Special Attack by one stage after each KO, further bolstering its late-game cleaning capabilities. However, Blacephalon has a fair amount of issues that hold it back in the metagame, such as an annoying vulnerability to every entry hazard and a weakness to Stealth Rock. Additionally, Blacephalon is weak to common priority moves like Ash-Greninja's Water Shuriken and Mega Mawile's Sucker Punch, which allows these Pokemon to stop a late-game sweep from it and gain momentum by forcing it out. Finally, the presence of Tyranitar as a top-tier threat in the metagame hurts Blacephalon's viability, since it's unable to 2HKO Tyranitar on the switch without prior damage and falls prey to Pursuit.

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Shadow Ball
move 2: Flamethrower
move 3: Fire Blast
move 4: Trick / Explosion
item: Choice Scarf
ability: Beast Boost
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Shadow Ball, albeit weak due to its low Base Power, is Blacephalon's most reliable Ghost-type STAB move that hits a wide amount of the tier for neutral damage. Similarly, Flamethrower boasts decent power alongside 100% accuracy, which makes for a reliable Fire-type STAB move, although it doesn't have the same neutral coverage Shadow Ball provides due to the abundance of Water-types in the tier that can switch into it easily. Fire Blast is a significantly stronger option that can be useful in a pinch where Blacephalon needs the damage to get a KO, though it's usually not the best move for Blacephalon to lock itself into in a late-game scenario because of Fire Blast's unreliable accuracy. Trick is a useful utility move that lets Blacephalon cripple defensive Pokemon like Chansey in matchups where the Speed Choice Scarf grants won't be necessary. Explosion allows Blacephalon to revenge kill a boosted Volcarona or worst case scenario force it out, since Blacephalon can only use this move once in a game. Hidden Power Ice can be used to surprise Landorus-T and Zygarde and hit them for super effective damage.

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Attack investment gives Blacephalon's attacks as much power as possible while ensuring that Beast Boost boosts its Special Attack. Maximum Speed investment with a Timid nature allows Blacephalon to outpace the whole unboosted metagame and even some Choice Scarf users like Landorus-T, Tapu Lele, and Heatran when equipped with a Choice Scarf. Beast Boost is Blacephalon's only available ability and an amazing ability for a late-game cleaner, since it boosts its Special Attack after a KO.

Usage Tips
========

Remove or weaken Blacephalon's answers like Tyranitar, Mantine, and Gastrodon before sending it into the field to attempt a late-game sweep. Tyranitar in particular is annoying due to Pursuit, so make sure it's either gone or weakened to the point where Blacephalon can pick it up. Blacephalon is frail, so avoid letting it take too much residual damage or else it'll be put in range of neutral priority moves or weak attacks from defensive threats too soon, which would let your opponent stop its sweep very easily. If the opponent has a Chansey, cripple it by removing its Eviolite with Trick as it switches in. If possible, keep entry hazards off the field, since Blacephalon is vulnerable to all entry hazards, though this set is meant for late-game cleaning and revenge killing, so it won't be switching onto the field as often and thus doesn't require heavy entry hazard control.

Team Options
========

Tyranitar lures like Earthquake Mega Latios, Surf Latios, and non-Choice item Hoopa-U bait Tyranitar early-game and either remove it entirely or weaken it enough for Blacephalon to KO it. Wallbreakers that can punch holes into more defensive teams Blacephalon struggles against, like Swords Dance Landorus-T, Choice Specs Tapu Lele, and Swords Dance Tapu Bulu, make for great partners and can ease a late-game sweep with the amount of offensive pressure they provide. Entry hazards weaken the opposing team for a late-game sweep, so Pokemon that can reliably set them up like Landorus-T and Heatran for Stealth Rock and Ferrothorn and Greninja for Spikes make for great teammates. Defoggers like Kartana, Latios, and Landorus-T take care of entry hazards in case Blacephalon needs to switch in repeatedly in a game.

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 2: Fire Blast / Flamethrower
move 3: Overheat
move 4: Trick / Hidden Power Grass
item: Choice Specs

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Shadow Ball is Blacephalon's most spammable move due to its great neutral coverage and reliable accuracy. Fire Blast is a high-Base Power Fire-type STAB move with decent accuracy that can dish out a lot of damage even on targets that resist it like Greninja and Keldeo. Flamethrower is a weaker, more reliable Fire-type STAB move that can be used instead of Fire Blast if the extra Base Power from the former isn't needed. Overheat is a stronger Fire-type STAB move that guarantees an OHKO on some Pokemon like defensive Landorus-T and Clefable, but it drops Blacephalon's Special Attack by two stages when used, which means that Blacephalon will be usually forced out after using it. Trick is meant to cripple Chansey on the switch in the stall matchup, which makes it easier for Blacephalon's teammates to break through it. Hidden Power Grass 2HKOes Choice Band Tyranitar after some prior damage, OHKOes Greninja on the switch, and deals with Gastrodon.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed investment along with a Timid nature puts Blacephalon at a nice Speed tier for a wallbreaker, outspeeding base 100s like Mega Medicham and Mega Charizard X as well as everything slower. Maximum Special Attack investment maximizes Blacephalon's power and makes Beast Boost increase Special Attack. Beast Boost is Blacephalon's only ability and isn't as useful for a Choice Specs set, since Blacephalon is usually forced out by a revenge killer after KOing a foe, but it still can be helpful.

Usage Tips
========

Unlike the Choice Scarf set, Choice Specs Blacephalon will be switching in several times during a game, so keeping entry hazards off the field is a priority. Blacephalon is very frail, so it's going to need to be brought into the field with the aid of VoltTurn users to start punching holes in the opposing team. Shadow Ball has few Pokemon that resist it in the tier, so it's a pretty safe move to use most of the time when facing a foe that Blacephalon forces out, though you have to watch out for Pursuit users like Weavile that could take advantage of Shadow Ball and trap it. Finally, don't throw out attacks recklessly if there's a Tyranitar on the opponent's team; play smart until you manage to weaken it for Blacephalon.

Team Options
========

Defog users like Kartana, Latios, and Landorus-T take care of any entry hazards that would otherwise limit Blacephalon's switching opportunities. Pokemon with access to VoltTurn like Landorus-T, Tapu Koko, and Rotom-W are great teammates because they can bring Blacephalon safely onto the field. Defensive pivots to fall back on when forced out by an offensive threat, like defensive Landorus-T and Assault Vest Magearna, also make for great partners, especially if they are VoltTurn users that can get Blacephalon back onto the field easily. Teammates that pressure Tyranitar like Earthquake Mega Latios, Surf Latios, and Corkscrew Crash Heatran improve Blacephalon's matchup against Tyranitar teams by weakening or removing it from the game for Blacephalon to use its attacks safely. Finally, late-game cleaners that can capitalize on the holes Blacephalon punches, like Choice Scarf Kartana and Ash-Greninja, form a potent offensive core with it.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A set consisting of Calm Mind / Flamethrower / Shadow Ball / Substitute and Ghostium Z can pose a big threat to bulky and stall teams, although Choice Specs Blacephalon does a pretty good job at annoying defensive builds already. Knock Off on Choice Specs Blacephalon lets it get rid of items like Chansey's Eviolite and Mantine's Leftovers without losing the breaking power of Choice Specs, which allows it to even 2HKO Chansey on the switch with Fire Blast. Mind Blown can also be used for an even stronger Fire-type move, but the extra power rarely makes a difference and losing half of Blacephalon's HP is a pretty big downside.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Pursuit**: Dark-types with access to Putrsuit like Tyranitar and Weavile are a big nuisance for any Blacephalon set, since locking itself into a move they resist like Shadow Ball, or Flamethrower in Tyranitar's case, allows them to remove it from the game. Tyranitar in particular is quite troublesome because Blacephalon has no way to 2HKO it on the switch without prior damage.

**Faster Pokemon**: Faster offensive Pokemon like Ash-Greninja, Tapu Koko, and Kartana all outspeed and OHKO Choice Specs Blacephalon, while faster Choice Scarf users like Greninja and Latios can deal with Choice Scarf variants

**Priority**: Common priority moves like Water Shuriken from Ash-Greninja, Sucker Punch from Mega Mawile and Bisharp, and Shadow Sneak from Mimikyu force out Blacephalon pretty reliably, since it's not bulky enough to take any of those hits.

**Bulky Water-types**: Water-types like Toxapex, Mantine, and Gastrodon resist Blacephalon's Fire STAB moves and aren't 2HKOed by Shadow Ball without prior damage.

**Residual Damage**: Residual damage from entry hazards, weather, and poison all stack up pretty quickly and can severely cripple Blacephalon, especially Stealth Rock, since it loses 25% of its HP every time it switches in.

Last edited:
Isn't Smack Down an option on the Scarf set? It can OHKO Volc after 1 layer of Spikes 75% of the time

44 Atk Blacephalon Smack Down vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 264-312 (84.8 - 100.3%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes

At least, I think that it should be in "Other Options"

Last edited:
Isn't Smack Down an option on the Scarf set? It can OHKO Volc after 1 layer of Spikes 75% of the time

44 Atk Blacephalon Smack Down vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 264-312 (84.8 - 100.3%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes

At least, I think that it should be in "Other Options"
Volc does not switch into Blacephalon as it's always 2hkoed, and that's without specs - LO- Beast Boost, Blacephalon beats it 1v1 if needed because HP Ground doesn't OHKO, and it cannot act as a switch in to a +1 Volc because it's outsped and killed by +1 HP Ground. That being said, if Volc runs Shattered Psyche, it OHKOs 81.3% of the time, so i guess non specs - LO - Beast boosted Blacephalon could use a move that always OHKOs that variant, but it seems too situational and redundant of a scenario to me. Maybe if Smack Down hit more targets more consistently, it could be a viable option, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Posting so i can get notifications on this thread. I wanna learn all about Blacephalon and hear other's thoughts on this poke. I'm also here because i would like to suggest a set that i have used quite a few time to some degree of success.

Blacephalon @ Firium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Mind Blown
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Flame Charge

What this set does is it takes advantage of flame charge to boost its speed while also gaining boosts in Sp.Atk via beast boost. I really like this set a lot because with it you can gain even more speed than what you would with a scarf set it also gives you the liberty to switch up moves and allows you to bombard the opponent with big damage with inferno overdrive and 2 mind blowns after. I'll be glad to give more info on this set if needed, but i just wanted to give my two cents on this Pokémon.

Tyranitar lures like Earthquake Mega Latios, Surf Latios, non choiced Hoopa
I think you mean to say Tyranitar is lured here. Move HP Grass in moves for the specs set, it's a significantly better option than Smack Down. Mention how frail it is as well which makes it hard for it come in without the aid of VoltTurn or double switches. On the SubCM sets, you can mention the Z-moves as options since that is pretty much the only time that you would run them.

Everything else looks good. QC 1/3

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
i think hp grass should be slashed on specs (with overheat). i know it's already mentioned, but i definitely feel that being able to break standard cb tar with rocks up is a big deal, especially because you only need to hit it with hp grass once and then it is no longer a switch-in to fire blast. when i've played with overheat, the amount of scenarios i end up using it is pretty limited because fire blast is already very strong, and overheat forces blace out immediately after using it. there is value to have the extra nuking power, but the vast majority of the time you will just be clicking one of shadow ball or fire blast anyways, so i think having the option to deal with tar on blace instead of relying on partners is very useful. either way, you can also mention gastro as a target for it.

it's worth mentioning somewhere in usage tips that you want to be careful about when you're using trick. for scarf, it means losing your revenge killing capabilities, whereas for specs blace has to deal with a pretty notable drop in its power. essentially, you want to be sure that the trick you are going for will be rewarding (not too difficult), but moreover ensure that you actually don't need the item anymore. this is an advantage you could mention when talking about knock off - when you use knock off, you don't have to give up your specs, allowing you to do things like put actual pressure on chansey with specs fire blasts and potentially 2hko pex with sball if rocks are up.

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
i think hp grass should be slashed on specs (with overheat). i know it's already mentioned, but i definitely feel that being able to break standard cb tar with rocks up is a big deal, especially because you only need to hit it with hp grass once and then it is no longer a switch-in to fire blast. when i've played with overheat, the amount of scenarios i end up using it is pretty limited because fire blast is already very strong, and overheat forces blace out immediately after using it. there is value to have the extra nuking power, but the vast majority of the time you will just be clicking one of shadow ball or fire blast anyways, so i think having the option to deal with tar on blace instead of relying on partners is very useful. either way, you can also mention gastro as a target for it.

it's worth mentioning somewhere in usage tips that you want to be careful about when you're using trick. for scarf, it means losing your revenge killing capabilities, whereas for specs blace has to deal with a pretty notable drop in its power. essentially, you want to be sure that the trick you are going for will be rewarding (not too difficult), but moreover ensure that you actually don't need the item anymore. this is an advantage you could mention when talking about knock off - when you use knock off, you don't have to give up your specs, allowing you to do things like put actual pressure on chansey with specs fire blasts and potentially 2hko pex with sball if rocks are up.
I'll discuss slashing grass with Overheat, rest is stuff I usually add during write up. Also added Gastro as hp grass target

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
I think it's worth mentioning what notable OHKOs Choice Specs Overheat grabs over Fire Blast (if there are any). Reading the move description now doesn't give me a reason to run Overheat other than "it hits things 1.18x harder but drops your SpA by two stages" and just makes me want to run Fire Blast + Flamethrower or Fire Blast + HP Grass since I'm not always forced out by the SpA drop. Not saying Overheat is bad - just that you could be a little more clear about what it's useful for.

Mention spikes as team options for scarf - in my experience it has been incredibly useful in enabling the sweep and scarf doesn't need removal as frequently as specs

Also on the note of scarf, maybe don't stress the need for fog as much cuz its mostly revenging infrequently / sweeping and not trying to come in a ton - it really likes hazards on the other side

Smack down probably shouldn't be an option

On specs, hpgrass can probably be slashed after trick, not just in moves section

Otherwise looks good

QC 2/3

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Looks great Leo. Thinking SubCM is fine in OO for now - maybe it'll get a set in the future (this was from earlier discussions from when you first did the write-up).

Seems rather straightforward and many of the users above (even non-QC!) covered a lot of my thoughts on this. You can also mention Knock Off removing Leftovers from Mantine and Gastrodon as examples as, without Leftovers, they become incredibly pressured by Specs Shadow Ball - especially Mantine since Stealth Rock keeps it from switching in freely without taking a lot of punishment.

3/3

autumn

only i will remain
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
C&C Leader
GP 1/2 sorry for the ugly colours
add remove comments
[OVERVIEW]

Blacephalon is blessed with an outstanding Special Attack stat, which, coupled with its great offensive typing in Fire / Ghost, turns it into a deadly wallbreaker. Blacephalon sets itself apart from other special wallbreakers thanks to its high Speed stat, which lets it act as a late-game cleaner and revenge killer when equipped with a Choice Scarf and lets it outspeed a fair amount of the metagame without a boosting item. (when you say this do you mean if blace lacks a boosting item when you've just said scarf, or the unboosted metagame?) On top of that, Blacephalon's Beast Boost ability boosts its Special Attack by 1 one stage after each KO, further bolstering its late-game cleaning capabilities. However, Blacephalon has a fair amount of issues that hold it back in the metagame, (AC) such as an annoying vulnerability to every entry hazard and a weakness to Stealth Rock. Additionally, Blacephalon is weak to common priority moves like Ash-(AH)Greninja's Water Shuriken and Mega Mawile's Sucker Punch, which allows these Pokemon to stop a late-game clean from it and gain initiative (what do you mean by this? momentum?) by forcing it out. Finally, the presence of Tyranitar as a top tier threat in the metagame hurts Blacephalon's viability, since it's unable to 2HKO it Tyranitar on the switch without prior damage and falls prey to Pursuit.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Shadow Ball is a Blacephalon's most reliable Ghost-type STAB move, (AC) albeit weak due to its low Base-power Base Power, (AC) that hits a wide amount of the tier for neutral damage. Similarly, Flamethrower boasts decent power alongside perfect 100% accuracy, which makes for a reliable Fire-type STAB move, (AC) although it doesn't have the same neutral coverage Shadow Ball provides due to the abundance of Water-types in the tier that can switch into it easily. Fire Blast is a significantly stronger option for a Fire-type STAB move that can be useful in a pinch where Blacephalon needs the damage to get a KO, though it's usually not the best move for Blacephalon to lock itself into in a late-game scenario because of Fire Blast's unreliable accuracy. Trick is an useful utility move that lets Blacephalon cripple defensive Pokemon like Chansey in matchups where the Speed won't be necessary. Explosion allows Blacephalon to revenge kill a boosted Volcarona, (AC) or worst case scenario force it out, (AC) since Blacephalon can only use this move once in a game. Hidden Power Ice can be used to surprise Landorus-T and hit Landorus-T and Zygarde for super effective damage. (it hits them both)

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Attack investment gives Blacephalon's attacks as much power as possible while ensuring that Beast Boost boosts its Special Attack. Maximum Speed investment with a Timid nature allows Blacephalon to outpace the whole unboosted metagame when equipped with a Choice Scarf and even some Choice Scarf users like Landorus-T, Tapu Lele, and Heatran when equipped with a Choice Scarf. Beast Boost is Blacephalon's only available ability and is an amazing ability to have for a late-game cleaner, since it boosts its Special Attack after a KO.

Usage Tips
========

Remove or weaken Blacephalon's answers like Tyranitar, Mantine, and Gastrodon before sending it into the field to attempt a late-game sweep. Tyranitar in particular is annoying due to Pursuit, (AC) so make sure it's either gone or weakened to the point where Blacephalon can pick it up off. Blacephalon's is frail, (AC) so avoid taking letting it take too much residual damage or else it'll be put in range of neutral priority moves or weak attacks from defensive threats too soon, which would let your opponent stop your its sweep very easily. If the opponent has a Chansey, cripple it by removing its Eviolite with Trick as it switches in. If possible, keep entry hazards off the field, (AC) since Blacephalon is vulnerable to all entry hazards, though this set is meant for late-game cleaning and revenge killing, (AC) so it won't be switching into onto the field as often and thus doesn't require heavy entry hazard control.

Team Options
========

Tyranitar lures like Earthquake Mega Latios, Surf Latios, (AC) and non-Choiced item Hoopa-U (I think) bait it Tyranitar early-game into the game and either remove it entirely or weaken it enough for Blacephalon to KO. Wallbreakers that can punch holes into more defensive teams Blacephalon struggles against, (AC) like Swords Dance Landorus-T, Choice Specs Tapu Lele, and Swords Dance Tapu Bulu, (AC) make for great partners and can ease a late-game sweep with the amount of offensive pressure they provide. Entry hazards weaken the opposing team for a late-game sweep, so Pokemon that can reliably set them up like Landorus-T and Heatran for Stealth Rock and Ferrothorn and Greninja for Spikes make for great teammates. Defoggers like Kartana, Latios, and Landorus-T take care of entry hazards in case Blacephalon needs to switch into the field repeteadly in a game.

[SET]
move 4: Trick / Hidden Power [Grass] Grass

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Shadow Ball is Blacephalon's most spammable move due to its great neutral coverage and reliable accuracy. Fire Blast is a high-Base Power Fire-type STAB move with decent accuracy that can dish out a lot of damage even on targets that resist it like Greninja and Keldeo. Flamethrower is a weaker, more reliable Fire-type STAB move that can be used instead of Fire Blast if the extra Base Power from the former isn't needed. Overheat is a stronger Fire-type STAB move that drops Blacephalon's Special Attack by 2 two stages when used, which means that Blacephalon will be usually forced out after using it, but guarantees an OHKO on some Pokemon like defensive Landorus-T and Clefable. Trick is meant to cripple a Chansey on the switch in the stall matchup, (space) which makes it easier for Balcephalon's Blacephalon's teammates to break through it. Hidden Power Grass 2HKOes Choice Band Tyranitar after some prior damage, OHKOes Greninja on the switch, (AC) and deals with Gastrodon.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed investment along with a Timid nature puts it at a nice Speed tier for a wallbreaker, outspeeding the base 100's 100s like Mega Medicham, (RC) and Mega Charizard X and as well as everything slower. Maximum Special Attack investment maximizes Blacephalon's power and makes Beast Boost increase Special Attack. Beast Boost is Balcephalon's Blacephalon's only ability and isn't as useful for a Choice Specs set, (AC) since Blacephalon is usually forced out by a revenge killer after KOing a foe, (AC) but it still can be helpful.

Usage Tips
========

Unlike the Choice Scarf set, Choice Specs Blacephalon will be switching into the field several times during a game, (AC) so keeping entry hazards off the field is a priority. Blacephalon's is very frail, (AC) so it's going to need to be brought into the field with the aid of VoltTurn to start punching holes onto in the opposing team. Shadow Ball has few resists in the tier, (AC) so it's a pretty safe move to use most of the time when facing a foe that Blacephalon forces out, though you have to watch out for Pursuit users like Weavile that could take advantage of this Shadow Ball and trap it. Finally, don't throw out attacks recklessly if there's a Tyranitar on the opponent's team, play smart until you manage to weaken or lure (the lures weaken it, pretty redundant) it for Blacephalon.

Team Options
========

Defog users like Kartana, Latios, and Landorus-T take care of any entry hazards that would otherwise limit Blacephalon's switching opportunities. Pokemon with access to VoltTurn like Landorus-T, Tapu Koko, and Rotom-W are great teammates because they can bring Blacephalon safely into onto the field. Defensive pivots to fall back on when forced out by an offensive threat, (AC) like defensive Landorus-T and Assault Vest Magearna, (AC) also make for great partners, especially if they are VoltTurn users that can get Blacephalon back into onto the field easily. Teammates that pressure Tyranitar like Mega Latios, Surf Latios, and Corkscrew Crash Heatran improve Blacephalon's matchup against Tyranitar teams by weakening or removing it from the game for Blacephalon to use its attacks safely. Finally, late-game cleaners that can capitalize on the holes Blacephalon punches, (AC) like Choice Scarf Kartana and Ash-(AH)Greninja, (AC) form a potent offensive core with it.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A set of Calm Mind / Flamethrower / Shadow Ball / Substitute and Ghostium Z can pose a big threat to bulky teams and stall teams, althought Choice Specs Blacephalon does a pretty good job at annoying defensive builds already. Knock Off on Choice Specs Blacephalon lets it get rid of items like Chansey's Eviolite and Mantine's Leftovers without losing the breaking power of Choice Specs, which allows it to even 2HKO Chansey on the switch with Fire Blast. Mind Blown can also be used for an even stronger Fire-type move, (AC) but the extra power rarely makes a difference and losing half of Blacephalon's HP is a pretty big downside.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Pursuit**: Dark-types with access to Pursuit like Tyranitar and Weavile are a big nuisance for any Blacephalon set, (AC) since locking itself into a move they resist like Shadow Ball, (AC) or Flamethrower in Tyranitar's case, (AC) allow them to remove it from the game. Tyranitar in particular is quite troublesome because Blacephalon has no way to 2HKO it on the switch without prior damage.

**Faster Pokemon**: Faster offensive Pokemon like Ash-Greninja, Tapu Koko, and Kartana all outspeed and OHKO Choice Specs Blacephalon, while faster Choice Scarf Pokemon users like Choice Scarf Greninja and Latios can deal with Choice Scarf variants

**Priority**: Common priority moves like Water Shuriken from Ash-Greninja, Sucker Punch from Mega Mawile and Bisharp, and Shadow Sneak from Mimikyu force out Blacephalon pretty reliably, (AC) since it's not bulky enough to take any of those hits.

**Bulky Water-types**: Water-types like Toxapex, Mantine, and Gastrodon resist Blacephalon's Fire STAB moves and aren't 2HKO'd 2HKOed by Shadow Ball without prior damage or aid of entry hazards.

**Residual Damage**: Residual damage from entry hazards, weather, and poisoning all stack up pretty quickly and can severely cripple Blacephalon, especially Stealth Rock, (AC) since it takes loses 25% of its HP every time it switches in.

Reactions: Leo

Leo

after hours
MPL Champion
GP 1/2 sorry for the ugly colours
add remove comments
[OVERVIEW]

Blacephalon is blessed with an outstanding Special Attack stat, which, coupled with its great offensive typing in Fire / Ghost, turns it into a deadly wallbreaker. Blacephalon sets itself apart from other special wallbreakers thanks to its high Speed stat, which lets it act as a late-game cleaner and revenge killer when equipped with a Choice Scarf and lets it outspeed a fair amount of the metagame without a boosting item. (when you say this do you mean if blace lacks a boosting item when you've just said scarf, or the unboosted metagame?) On top of that, Blacephalon's Beast Boost ability boosts its Special Attack by 1 one stage after each KO, further bolstering its late-game cleaning capabilities. However, Blacephalon has a fair amount of issues that hold it back in the metagame, (AC)such as an annoying vulnerability to everyentry hazard and a weakness to Stealth Rock. Additionally, Blacephalon is weak to common priority moves like Ash-(AH)Greninja's Water Shuriken and Mega Mawile's Sucker Punch, which allows these Pokemon to stop a late-game clean from it and gain initiative (what do you mean by this? momentum?) by forcing it out. Finally, the presence of Tyranitar as a top tier threat in the metagame hurts Blacephalon's viability, since it's unable to 2HKO it Tyranitar on the switch without prior damage and falls prey to Pursuit.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Shadow Ball is a Blacephalon's most reliable Ghost-type STAB move, (AC) albeit weak due to its low Base-power Base Power, (AC) that hits a wide amount of the tier for neutral damage. Similarly, Flamethrower boasts decent power alongside perfect 100% accuracy, which makes for a reliable Fire-type STAB move, (AC) although it doesn't have the same neutral coverage Shadow Ball provides due to the abundance of Water-types in the tier that can switch into it easily. Fire Blast is a significantly stronger option for a Fire-type STAB move that can be useful in a pinch where Blacephalon needs the damage to get a KO, though it's usually not the best move for Blacephalon to lock itself into in a late-game scenario because of Fire Blast's unreliable accuracy. Trick is an useful utility move that lets Blacephalon cripple defensive Pokemon like Chansey in matchups where the Speed won't be necessary. Explosion allows Blacephalon to revenge kill a boosted Volcarona, (AC) or worst case scenario force it out, (AC) since Blacephalon can only use this move once in a game. Hidden Power Ice can be used to surprise Landorus-T and hit Landorus-T and Zygarde for super effective damage. (it hits them both)

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Attack investment gives Blacephalon's attacks as much power as possible while ensuring that Beast Boost boosts its Special Attack. Maximum Speed investment with a Timid nature allows Blacephalon to outpace the whole unboosted metagame when equipped with a Choice Scarf and even some Choice Scarf users like Landorus-T, Tapu Lele, and Heatran when equipped with a Choice Scarf. Beast Boost is Blacephalon's only available ability and is an amazing ability to have for a late-game cleaner, since it boosts its Special Attack after a KO.

Usage Tips
========

Remove or weaken Blacephalon's answers like Tyranitar, Mantine, and Gastrodon before sending it into the field to attempt a late-game sweep. Tyranitar in particular is annoying due to Pursuit, (AC) so make sure it's either gone or weakened to the point where Blacephalon can pick it up off. Blacephalon's is frail, (AC) so avoid taking letting it take too much residual damage or else it'll be put in range of neutral priority moves or weak attacks from defensive threats too soon, which would let your opponent stop your its sweep very easily. If the opponent has a Chansey, cripple it by removing its Eviolite with Trick as it switches in. If possible, keep entry hazards off the field, (AC) since Blacephalon is vulnerable to all entry hazards, though this set is meant for late-game cleaning and revenge killing, (AC) so it won't be switching into onto the field as often and thus doesn't require heavy entry hazard control.

Team Options
========

Tyranitar lures like Earthquake Mega Latios, Surf Latios, (AC) and non-Choiced item Hoopa-U (I think) bait it Tyranitar early-game into the game and either remove it entirely or weaken it enough for Blacephalon to KO. Wallbreakers that can punch holes into more defensive teams Blacephalon struggles against, (AC) like Swords Dance Landorus-T, Choice Specs Tapu Lele, and Swords Dance Tapu Bulu, (AC) make for great partners and can ease a late-game sweep with the amount of offensive pressure they provide. Entry hazards weaken the opposing team for a late-game sweep, so Pokemon that can reliably set them up like Landorus-T and Heatran for Stealth Rock and Ferrothorn and Greninja for Spikes make for great teammates. Defoggers like Kartana, Latios, and Landorus-T take care of entry hazards in case Blacephalon needs to switch into the field repeteadly in a game.

[SET]
move 4: Trick / Hidden Power [Grass] Grass

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Shadow Ball is Blacephalon's most spammable move due to its great neutral coverage and reliable accuracy. Fire Blast is a high-Base Power Fire-type STAB move with decent accuracy that can dish out a lot of damage even on targets that resist it like Greninja and Keldeo. Flamethrower is a weaker, more reliable Fire-type STAB move that can be used instead of Fire Blast if the extra Base Power from the former isn't needed. Overheat is a stronger Fire-type STAB move that drops Blacephalon's Special Attack by 2 two stages when used, which means that Blacephalon will be usually forced out after using it, but guarantees an OHKO on some Pokemon like defensive Landorus-T and Clefable. Trick is meant to cripple a Chansey on the switch in the stall matchup, (space) which makes it easier for Balcephalon's Blacephalon's teammates to break through it. Hidden Power Grass 2HKOes Choice Band Tyranitar after some prior damage, OHKOes Greninja on the switch, (AC) and deals with Gastrodon.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed investment along with a Timid nature puts it at a nice Speed tier for a wallbreaker, outspeeding the base 100's 100s like Mega Medicham, (RC) and Mega Charizard X and as well as everything slower. Maximum Special Attack investment maximizes Blacephalon's power and makes Beast Boost increase Special Attack. Beast Boost is Balcephalon's Blacephalon's only ability and isn't as useful for a Choice Specs set, (AC) since Blacephalon is usually forced out by a revenge killer after KOing a foe, (AC) but it still can be helpful.

Usage Tips
========

Unlike the Choice Scarf set, Choice Specs Blacephalon will be switching into the field several times during a game, (AC) so keeping entry hazards off the field is a priority. Blacephalon's is very frail, (AC) so it's going to need to be brought into the field with the aid of VoltTurn to start punching holes onto in the opposing team. Shadow Ball has few resists in the tier, (AC) so it's a pretty safe move to use most of the time when facing a foe that Blacephalon forces out, though you have to watch out for Pursuit users like Weavile that could take advantage of this Shadow Ball and trap it. Finally, don't throw out attacks recklessly if there's a Tyranitar on the opponent's team, play smart until you manage to weaken or lure (the lures weaken it, pretty redundant) it for Blacephalon.

Team Options
========

Defog users like Kartana, Latios, and Landorus-T take care of any entry hazards that would otherwise limit Blacephalon's switching opportunities. Pokemon with access to VoltTurn like Landorus-T, Tapu Koko, and Rotom-W are great teammates because they can bring Blacephalon safely into onto the field. Defensive pivots to fall back on when forced out by an offensive threat, (AC) like defensive Landorus-T and Assault Vest Magearna, (AC) also make for great partners, especially if they are VoltTurn users that can get Blacephalon back into onto the field easily. Teammates that pressure Tyranitar like Mega Latios, Surf Latios, and Corkscrew Crash Heatran improve Blacephalon's matchup against Tyranitar teams by weakening or removing it from the game for Blacephalon to use its attacks safely. Finally, late-game cleaners that can capitalize on the holes Blacephalon punches, (AC) like Choice Scarf Kartana and Ash-(AH)Greninja, (AC) form a potent offensive core with it.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A set of Calm Mind / Flamethrower / Shadow Ball / Substitute and Ghostium Z can pose a big threat to bulky teams and stall teams, althought Choice Specs Blacephalon does a pretty good job at annoying defensive builds already. Knock Off on Choice Specs Blacephalon lets it get rid of items like Chansey's Eviolite and Mantine's Leftovers without losing the breaking power of Choice Specs, which allows it to even 2HKO Chansey on the switch with Fire Blast. Mind Blown can also be used for an even stronger Fire-type move, (AC) but the extra power rarely makes a difference and losing half of Blacephalon's HP is a pretty big downside.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Pursuit**: Dark-types with access to Pursuit like Tyranitar and Weavile are a big nuisance for any Blacephalon set, (AC) since locking itself into a move they resist like Shadow Ball, (AC) or Flamethrower in Tyranitar's case, (AC) allow them to remove it from the game. Tyranitar in particular is quite troublesome because Blacephalon has no way to 2HKO it on the switch without prior damage.

**Faster Pokemon**: Faster offensive Pokemon like Ash-Greninja, Tapu Koko, and Kartana all outspeed and OHKO Choice Specs Blacephalon, while faster Choice Scarf Pokemon users like Choice Scarf Greninja and Latios can deal with Choice Scarf variants

**Priority**: Common priority moves like Water Shuriken from Ash-Greninja, Sucker Punch from Mega Mawile and Bisharp, and Shadow Sneak from Mimikyu force out Blacephalon pretty reliably, (AC) since it's not bulky enough to take any of those hits.

**Bulky Water-types**: Water-types like Toxapex, Mantine, and Gastrodon resist Blacephalon's Fire STAB moves and aren't 2HKO'd 2HKOed by Shadow Ball without prior damage or aid of entry hazards.

**Residual Damage**: Residual damage from entry hazards, weather, and poisoning all stack up pretty quickly and can severely cripple Blacephalon, especially Stealth Rock, (AC) since it takes loses 25% of its HP every time it switches in.
Implemented, thanks! Also re: some comments; I meant unboosted blace in the first paragraph so mb if that wasn't too clear. And yeah I meant momentum so I changed that to make it more clear for the readers.

Fireflame

Silksong when
is a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
The new colors are bad...

Remove Add Comments (AC)= add comma (RC)= remove comma (AH)= add hyphen (RH)= remove hyphen
[OVERVIEW]

Blacephalon is blessed with an outstanding Special Attack stat, which, coupled with its great offensive typing in Fire / Ghost, turns it into a deadly wallbreaker. Blacephalon sets itself apart from other special wallbreakers thanks to its high Speed stat, which lets it act as a late-game cleaner and revenge killer when equipped with a Choice Scarf and lets it outspeed a fair amount of the metagame without a boosting item. On top of that, Blacephalon's Beast Boost ability boosts its Special Attack by one stage after each KO, further bolstering its late-game cleaning capabilities. However, Blacephalon has a fair amount of issues that hold it back in the metagame, such as an annoying vulnerability to every entry hazard and a weakness to Stealth Rock. Additionally, Blacephalon is weak to common priority moves like Ash-Greninja's Water Shuriken and Mega Mawile's Sucker Punch, which allows these Pokemon to stop a late-game clean sweep from it and gain momentum by forcing it out. Finally, the presence of Tyranitar as a top-(AH)tier threat in the metagame hurts Blacephalon's viability, since it's unable to 2HKO Tyranitar on the switch without prior damage and falls prey to Pursuit.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Shadow Ball,(AC) albeit weak due to its low Base Power,(AC) is Blacephalon's most reliable Ghost-type STAB move,(RC) albeit weak due to its low Base Power,(RC) that hits a wide amount of the tier for neutral damage. Similarly, Flamethrower boasts decent power alongside 100% accuracy, which makes for a reliable Fire-type STAB move, although it doesn't have the same neutral coverage Shadow Ball provides due to the abundance of Water-types in the tier that can switch into it easily. Fire Blast is a significantly stronger option for a Fire-type STAB move that can be useful in a pinch where Blacephalon needs the damage to get a KO, though it's usually not the best move for Blacephalon to lock itself into in a late-game scenario because of Fire Blast's unreliable accuracy. Trick is an a (this is determined phonetically) useful utility move that lets Blacephalon cripple defensive Pokemon like Chansey in matchups where the Speed Choice Scarf grants (clarification) won't be necessary. Explosion allows Blacephalon to revenge kill a boosted Volcarona,(RC) or worst case scenario force it out, since Blacephalon can only use this move once in a game. Hidden Power Ice can be used to surprise and hit Landorus-T and Zygarde for super effective damage and hit them for super effective damage ("...can be used to surprise Landorus-T and Zygarde for super effective damage" doesn't really work).

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Attack investment gives Blacephalon's attacks as much power as possible while ensuring that Beast Boost boosts its Special Attack. Maximum Speed investment with a Timid nature allows Blacephalon to outpace the whole unboosted metagame and even some Choice Scarf users like Landorus-T, Tapu Lele, and Heatran when equipped with a Choice Scarf. Beast Boost is Blacephalon's only available ability and is an amazing ability for a late-game cleaner, since it boosts its Special Attack after a KO.

Usage Tips
========

Remove or weaken Blacephalon's answers like Tyranitar, Mantine, and Gastrodon before sending it into the field to attempt a late-game sweep. Tyranitar in particular is annoying due to Pursuit, so make sure it's either gone or weakened to the point where Blacephalon can pick it up. Blacephalon is frail, so avoid letting it take too much residual damage or else it'll be put in range of neutral priority moves or weak attacks from defensive threats too soon, which would let your opponent stop its sweep very easily. If the opponent has a Chansey, cripple it by removing its Eviolite with Trick as it switches in. If possible, keep entry hazards off the field, since Blacephalon is vulnerable to all entry hazards, though this set is meant for late-game cleaning and revenge killing, so it won't be switching onto the field as often and thus doesn't require heavy entry hazard control.

Team Options
========

Tyranitar lures like Earthquake Mega Latios, Surf Latios, and non-Choice item Hoopa-U bait Tyranitar early-game and either remove it entirely or weaken it enough for Blacephalon to KO it. Wallbreakers that can punch holes into more defensive teams Blacephalon struggles against, like Swords Dance Landorus-T, Choice Specs Tapu Lele, and Swords Dance Tapu Bulu, make for great partners and can ease a late-game sweep with the amount of offensive pressure they provide. Entry hazards weaken the opposing team for a late-game sweep, so Pokemon that can reliably set them up like Landorus-T and Heatran for Stealth Rock and Ferrothorn and Greninja for Spikes make for great teammates. Defoggers like Kartana, Latios, and Landorus-T take care of entry hazards in case Blacephalon needs to switch in repeteadly repeatedly in a game.

[SET]
move 4: Trick / Hidden Power Grass

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Shadow Ball is Blacephalon's most spammable move due to its great neutral coverage and reliable accuracy. Fire Blast is a high-Base Power Fire-type STAB move with decent accuracy that can dish out a lot of damage even on targets that resist it like Greninja and Keldeo. Flamethrower is a weaker, more reliable Fire-type STAB move that can be used instead of Fire Blast if the extra Base Power from the former isn't needed. Overheat is a stronger Fire-type STAB move that guarantees an OHKO on some Pokemon like defensive Landorus-T and Clefable,(AC) but it drops Blacephalon's Special Attack by two stages when used, which means that Blacephalon will be usually forced out after using it,(RC) but guarantees an OHKO on some Pokemon like defensive Landorus-T and Clefable. (flows better) Trick is meant to cripple a Chansey on the switch in the stall matchup, which makes it easier for Blacephalon's teammates to break through it. Hidden Power Grass 2HKOes Choice Band Tyranitar after some prior damage, OHKOes Greninja on the switch, and deals with Gastrodon.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed investment along with a Timid nature puts it Blacephalon at a nice Speed tier for a wallbreaker, outspeeding base 100s like Mega Medicham and Mega Charizard X as well as everything slower. Maximum Special Attack investment maximizes Blacephalon's power and makes Beast Boost increase Special Attack. Beast Boost is Blacephalon's only ability and isn't as useful for a Choice Specs set, since Blacephalon is usually forced out by a revenge killer after KOing a foe, but it still can be helpful.

Usage Tips
========

Unlike the Choice Scarf set, Choice Specs Blacephalon will be switching in several times during a game, so keeping entry hazards off the field is a priority. Blacephalon is very frail, so it's going to need to be brought into the field with the aid of VoltTurn users to start punching holes in the opposing team. Shadow Ball has few resists Pokemon that resist it (can't use resists as a noun to refer to a Pokemon) in the tier, so it's a pretty safe move to use most of the time when facing a foe that Blacephalon forces out, though you have to watch out for Pursuit users like Weavile that could take advantage of Shadow Ball and trap it. Finally, don't throw out attacks recklessly if there's a Tyranitar on the opponent's team,(RC);(SC) play smart until you manage to weaken it for Blacephalon.

Team Options
========

Defog users like Kartana, Latios, and Landorus-T take care of any entry hazards that would otherwise limit Blacephalon's switching opportunities. Pokemon with access to VoltTurn like Landorus-T, Tapu Koko, and Rotom-W are great teammates because they can bring Blacephalon safely onto the field. Defensive pivots to fall back on when forced out by an offensive threat, like defensive Landorus-T and Assault Vest Magearna, also make for great partners, especially if they are VoltTurn users that can get Blacephalon back onto the field easily. Teammates that pressure Tyranitar like (I would specify if this is Earthquake Mega Latios or not. You did it in the last Team Options) Mega Latios, Surf Latios, and Corkscrew Crash Heatran improve Blacephalon's matchup against Tyranitar teams by weakening or removing it from the game for Blacephalon to use its attacks safely. Finally, late-game cleaners that can capitalize on the holes Blacephalon punches, like Choice Scarf Kartana and Ash-Greninja, form a potent offensive core with it.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A set consisting of Calm Mind / Flamethrower / Shadow Ball / Substitute and Ghostium Z can pose a big threat to bulky and stall teams, although Choice Specs Blacephalon does a pretty good job at annoying defensive builds already. Knock Off on Choice Specs Blacephalon lets it get rid of items like Chansey's Eviolite and Mantine's Leftovers without losing the breaking power of Choice Specs, which allows it to even 2HKO Chansey on the switch with Fire Blast. Mind Blown can also be used for an even stronger Fire-type move, but the extra power rarely makes a difference and losing half of Blacephalon's HP is a pretty big downside.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Pursuit**: Dark-types with access to Putrsuit like Tyranitar and Weavile are a big nuisance for any Blacephalon set, since locking itself into a move they resist like Shadow Ball, or Flamethrower in Tyranitar's case, allows them to remove it from the game. Tyranitar in particular is quite troublesome because Blacephalon has no way to 2HKO it on the switch without prior damage.

**Faster Pokemon**: Faster offensive Pokemon like Ash-Greninja, Tapu Koko, and Kartana all outspeed and OHKO Choice Specs Blacephalon, while faster Choice Scarf users like Choice Scarf (this is already implied) Greninja and Latios can deal with Choice Scarf variants

**Priority**: Common priority moves like Water Shuriken from Ash-Greninja, Sucker Punch from Mega Mawile and Bisharp, and Shadow Sneak from Mimikyu force out Blacephalon pretty reliably, since it's not bulky enough to take any of those hits.

**Bulky Water-types**: Water-types like Toxapex, Mantine, and Gastrodon resist Blacephalon's Fire STAB moves and aren't 2HKOed by Shadow Ball without prior damage or aid of entry hazards. (this would be prior damage too)

**Residual Damage**: Residual damage from entry hazards, weather, and poisoning poison all stack up pretty quickly and can severely cripple Blacephalon, especially Stealth Rock, since it loses 25% of its HP every time it switches in.
GP 2/2

Colonel M

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)