Better late than never

So I'm one of those players who isn't really getting into gen VI. At the moment the metagames still seem to be too unstable and too full of broken stuff for my liking, and everything will be shaken up again when Pokebank goes online. With that said, I decided to see the other delights gen V had to offer, and to go over to gen VI when I've played the cartridges (still don't own it), and when Pokebank mons are available. The title of this RMT hopefully sums up the motivation for creating this team. It may not be the best (it's around 1700 on PS) but I really enjoy using it, and it can hold its own against teams that may look better on paper.

So anyway, onto the team.

Golurk @ Leftovers
- Earthquake
- Shadow Punch
- Drain Punch
- Stealth Rock
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
The only Pokemon in any tier that can lay Stealth Rocks and prevent them being spun away. On top of that he comes out on top against Armaldo and Torkoal, leaving Wartortle as the only NU spinner which can take him on, and Earthquake makes it difficult for Skuntank to Pursuit trap it. That's all pretty cool. Shadow Punch and Drain Punch have perfect neutral coverage, and with Iron Fist they hit pretty hard; Drain Punch's recovery can also make him surprisingly durable. The EVs are straight from Smogon, and allow Golurk to outrun Adamant Golem - since Golem often has Sucker Punch anyway I might change this to beat Armaldo, who I really want to kill with minimal fuss. One problem I have found is that he can often be prevented from laying Rocks by opposing offensive pressure. The solution is... well, just read on.

Carracosta @ Life Orb
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet
- Shell Smash
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature​

Let's be honest, this thing's only in NU because Omastar is already in RU and is just slightly better. Still, once the opponent's Scarfer has gone, often one turn is all that is needed to stomp the opponent's team. Solid Rock is really nice as it allows Carracosta to set up even on weaker physical super-effective attacks. Stone Edge has caused me far more frustration than any opposing team, but its ability to OHKO most Mandibuzz after Stealth Rock - even without Shell Smash - shows just how powerful it can be. Aqua Jet sometimes allows me to sweep even before the Scarfer has gone if I've weakened it sufficiently, and also really helps with Charizard (especially Scarf Charizard) who is a big threat to the team.

Klang @ Eviolite
- Gear Grind
- Shift Gear
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 240 HP / 136 Def / 40 SpD / 92 Spe
Impish Nature​

Another Smogon EV spread - very unimaginative I know. Still, I wanted a late-game win condition and RestTalk Klang fitted the bill. He's also often my answer to opposing bulky boosters: SubBU Braviary, SubCM Musharna, RestTalk Dragonair etc, because he can just boost alongside them and, thanks to his Steel typing, generally win. Gear Grind's ability to smash through substitutes is also priceless given that several Pokemon on this team allow them to be set up. Apart from that, great bulk and a Steel typing allows Klang to function as a useful damage sponge and sleep absorber. Oh, and he eats Jynx for breakfast (he's EV'd to outrun her after one Gear Grind, and Scarfed Jynx after two), which is nice considering how much she walks over the two Pokemon above. If I were to make a change it would be to make this more specially bulky - my team doesn't have much of that.

Rotom-F @ Choice Scarf
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Blizzard
- Trick
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature​

So the rest of my team was really struggling to beat physical walls like Alomomola, Mandibuzz and Tangela, and this seemed like a good solution. I chose it over the fan because I wanted to be able to hurt opposing electric types, and to OHKO Serperior, who seriously bugs Carracosta by outrunning it even at +2. Rotom-S has its own merits like killing Sawk, who is always a threat. While Blizzard's accuracy is every bit as hair-pullingly annoying as Carracosta's Stone Edge, STAB BoltBeam coverage is great as I can do at least neutral damage to everything relevant but Piloswine, who hates Trick. Volt Switch is another move that does good work on any Scarfer.

Victreebel @ Life Orb
- Leaf Blade
- Sucker Punch
- Sleep Powder
- Swords Dance
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
Victreebel is, almost uniquely, usable in every tier up to and including Ubers (at least, it has an Ubers analysis). It's quite good in NU too. Sucker Punch has surprised many an opponent, particularly killing Jynx, and with a Swords Dance boost behind it, it's pretty powerful too. It's pretty easy to get that boost with sleep powder - most sleep absorbers are dealt with clinically enough with Golurk (Primeape, Miltank, Ursaring etc) so the combination works fairly well if I can predict it. Chlorophyll is a useless ability but I can't think of a good use for Gluttony - Salac Berry seems pointless when I already have Sucker Punch and the attack-raising berry (can't remember its name) actually works out weaker than Life Orb after a Swords Dance boost. Running Sunny Day doesn't seem like a good idea - I am weak enough to Fire-types as it is.

Natu @ Eviloite
- Night Shade
- Toxic
- Reflect
- Roost
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature​

Whereas Victreebel's ability is pretty much useless, Natu is all about the ability. I said earlier that I had trouble consistently laying rocks against offensive teams. Well, I can always just bounce back my opponents'! The set is designed to beat most Stealth Rock users 1v1; Reflect is key as nearly all of them are physical attackers - Seismitoad is really the only exception. Toxic really helps kill the walls like Tangela that I hate so much, but, honestly I don't always need to use it - just switch in at the right time and let Magic Bounce do the rest. Reflect is also great for helping Carracosta and, to a lesser extent, Victreebel, set up more easily. Initially I had Light Screen and a specially defensive spread but this stopped Natu from doing its job of preventing Stealth Rock.

Anyway, that's the team, advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Last edited:
A very solid team. However, looking over your team, CB Sawk gets an OHKO on every one of your pokemon, and Alomomola walls your entire team bar Rotom-F who can be widdled down by Stealth Rocks. Tangela also takes your team on fairly well, again bar Rotom-F.

The first suggestion I would make is to give Golurk 80 Spd EVs. The Difference in bulk is negligible, but having a jump on Smogon Golurk Set means that you can get the advantage with your Shadow Punch.

My Next Suggestion is to use Offensive Roselia over victreebel. It serves the same purpose of hitting opponents hard as well as supporting your team with sleep, but isn't walled by Tangela and gives you a solid check to Alomomola. Beinga able to break down Physical Walls helps your two primary sweepers Carracosta and Klang, do their jobs correctly. It still carries the poison typing, giving you a way to continue to absorb T-Spikes.

My Final Suggestion is to utilize Defensive Pivot Musharna over Natu. Your team really isn't that SR Weak, and doesn't exactly benefit from a pokemon who loses your team's momentum, and doesn't really serve a purpose for this team. What Musharna gives you is a check to Sawk, who otherwise blitzes through your entire team with Close Combat + Ice Punch. It also helps you much like Natu, spread Toxic, but is much bulkier and has access to Baton Pass, bringing your team momentum once again.

Again overall a strong team, and Good Luck with the team!

Roselia @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 152 HP / 252 SAtk / 104 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis

Musharna @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Toxic
- Moonlight
- Baton Pass

Golurk @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 180 Spd / 76 HP
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Earthquake
- Shadow Punch
- Stealth Rock

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I really like the idea behind this team which is a late game sweep with Klang, but I think some of your Pokemon doesn't do as much as other Pokemon could to help this goal. I strongly believe any team with Klang needs Toxic Spikes as they are so awsome to wear down Pokemon who takes it on so easily, such as Alomomola, Torkoal, and various Ground-types. Like Brawlfest suggested, Roselia over Victreebel seems to fit your team better than Victreebel, but I think you should be running a specially defensive set instead with Toxic Spikes. It will help you take on opponent's Water-types and Rain teams way easier while providing your team with Toxic Spikes!

Roselia @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 244 SDef / 16 Spd
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Toxic Spikes
- Synthesis / Rest / Spikes

Secondly, this is up to you, but I strongly believe Rotom-Frost isn't the best Revenge Killer for this team as it can easily dies to Shell Smash Carracosta's Aqua Jet after little damage and Stealth Rock (and yes, any good player can remove Natu :s), so I would like to suggest running Jynx over Rotom-F with a little twist to help with opponent's Jynx as you would be surprised at how many people runs Probopass with Magnet Pull with it, so as always choose what you prefer:

Jynx @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Psyshock / Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball / Trick / Focus Blast
- Lovely Kiss

Also, and again that's also up to you because I refuse to force you with my changes (It's mostly because I love the idea behind the team, but I might be changing too much *-*), your team looks to have difficulty against Sun teams in general, even with Victreebel, and I really think Gardevoir could be a good option over Natu. Gardevoir gives you the possibility to beat any weather team quite easily, while providing your team with a way to beat Mandibuzz and other bothersome Pokemon in a pinch with the following set:

Gardevoir @ Life Orb
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt / Signal Beam (Thunderbolt let you hit Mandibuzz harder, while Signal Beam hits Psychic-types harder)
- Destiny Bond

Finally, the next change I would consider is mostly with your ev spreads on Golurk: Even though you have Gardevoir and Jynx on your team, nothing really enjoys switching in on Sawk and other Fighting-types and Charizard,like always, can be dangerous. A bulkier spread could help you with those threats, which can also let Golurk survive a Choice Specs Fire Blast from Charizard at full so you can set up Stealth Rock if necessary or hit it with Shadow Punch. You could also play around with the item as Colbur Berry sounds cool to have another Pokemon able to deal with Skuntank in a pinch and maybe allowing it to set up Stealth Rock as Mandibuzz try to OHKO Golurk with Foul Play, but it's your choice!

Golurk @ Leftovers / Colbur Berry
EVs: 80 Atk / 248 HP / 180 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Shadow Punch
- Drain Punch / Ice Punch

Hopefully this will help you, and sorry if I'm proposing a little too much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)