SM UU BellyDrum Veil (USUM)

Intro:

It hasn't been too long since my last rmt, and I rarely do them until I find a team that I actually think are my best ones, but hey, this one is pretty damn good. Now, Hyper Offense has always been my favorite play style, games go by quick, and you get rewarded for you plays. And this team is no different, its Aurora Veil Offense. Now let me just say this quick, uu has just put Aurorus and A Slash at A- on vr, and that's a bit sus, they might be trying to ban veil, as did Ru and below... #SaveVeil

As I said earlier, I only make RMT's of highly successful teams, and with this team I Peaked at 27 on the uu ladder:

The Team:

Aurorus @ Focus Sash
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Blizzard
- Encore
- Freeze-Dry/Hidden Power Fire
This is the lead for Aurora Veil teams. It sets up the hail and provides rocks for the team. Even if Alola Tales drops, I think I would still use Aurorus and Slash for veil as they provide the utility for the team with rocks and spin respectfully. Sash will almost always guarantee Rocks, and Freeze Dry can be used to snipe the likes of Swampert, Seismitoad, and Mantine. Alternatively, HP fire can be used to snipe Scizor which is always nice.

Sandslash-Alola @ Light Clay
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
This is the veiler of the team, and basically all Aurora Veil teams, as its the only viable veiler (sorry cryo). With Slush Rush its speed stat is a blistering 502 speed! But even with that speed, its slower than scarf Ape and Mienshao, so always be sure to scout for scarf vs those mons. As I said earlier, I prefer Alola Slash than Alola Tales due to the support they provide, with Rapid Spin in Alola Slash's case. Icicle Crash is STAB, and hits decently but not really hard off of base 100 attack, and EQ is just there for coverage, as it hits more mons than Iron Head would.

RU KING (Linoone) @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Extreme Speed
- Seed Bomb
- Stomping Tantrum
Ok, not going to lie, this team was just going to be a joke team with triple Belly Drum, but it actually worked out really well. And ofc, if there's veil, there's gotta be Linoone, just how it works. I've literally nommed Linoone like 3 or 4 times in uu/Ru vr's, and I still do believe that it deserves to be ranked in uu's vr, especially since Veil itself is ranked. The big selling point in Linoone is, Belly Drum and Extreme Speed. And with Linoone's ability Gluttony, it only has to live a hit to Belly Drum up. And with the move tutors, Linoone does have access to STANT now, where it can actually damage Steel types! With some chip, Linoone can easily sweep, and is incredibly hard to revenge kill since it will almost always go first with E-Speed since it has +2 Priority.
+6 252+ Atk Linoone Stomping Tantrum vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Filter Aggron-Mega: 171-202 (49.8 - 58.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+5 252+ Atk Linoone Stomping Tantrum vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Arcanine: 348-410 (90.8 - 107%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+6 252+ Atk Linoone Stomping Tantrum vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Empoleon: 532-626 (143 - 168.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Linoone Stomping Tantrum vs. 196 HP / 208+ Def Klefki: 380-448 (125 - 147.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Linoone Stomping Tantrum vs. 236 HP / 0 Def Metagross: 382-450 (106.1 - 125%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Linoone Stomping Tantrum vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Doublade: 226-266 (70.8 - 83.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Kommo-o @ Salac Berry
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Substitute
- Belly Drum
- Fire Punch
Now this is the mon that made me want to make this team, after using it to major success in Ru, and honestly, is the real mvp of this team. It has such good defenses already with 75/125/105 bulk, which is further'd by Veil, and its subs are actually difficult to break under veil. Kommo-o just sets up on so many mons, and just slurps back all of its hp with Drain Punch. Fire Punch is the coverage option I chose since it hits more mons than EQ in the tier like Gliscor, Crobat and Togekiss. This is honestly my favorite wincon on this team, since its so easy to win with. The best part is its ability, Soundproof, which not only makes it so it can't be roared out, but makes sound moves, which go through Sub, not work. Which sound move is the most important in uu? Sylveon's Hypervoice! This makes Sylveon set up bait for Kommo-o.
252 Atk Gliscor Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Kommo-o with an ally's Aurora Veil: 54-64 (18.4 - 21.9%) -- possible 5HKO
Atk Swampert Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Kommo-o with an ally's Aurora Veil: 48-57 (16.4 - 19.5%) -- possible 6HKO
252 Atk Cobalion Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Kommo-o with an ally's Aurora Veil: 63-75 (21.5 - 25.6%) -- 1.2% chance to 4HKO
0 SpA Rotom-Wash Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Kommo-o: 59-70 (20.2 - 23.9%) -- guaranteed 5HKO (this one is w/o veil, Hydro never breaks the sub)

Azumarill @ Normalium Z
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Belly Drum
- Knock Off
Like I said, this team is Aveil + Triple BD core, which Azu completes. Everyone from ORAS ou knows what BD Azu can do, and it still does it great. Since the Z slot was open on the team, Azu is able to use Z Belly Drum, which restores its HP, then uses Belly Drum. This is amazing for Azu as similarly to Linoone, it only needs to live an attack to get off the Belly Drum. What makes it even better is, it gains the hp, then uses Belly Drum, which fails if the user is already at +6, which Azu will be if Belly Drum was already used. This means that Azu will restore all of its HP when using Z Belly Drum after already setting up. And, again, similarly to Linoone, Azu has priority in Aqua Jet to go along with Belly Drum, and is a great late game cleaner with it, as its difficult to revenge kill. The thing about Azu is, it only has 50 base speed, which is incredibly slow, and will have to rely on Aqua Jet, which is weak in itself, to kill a lot of mons.

Manectric-Mega @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]​

Since the team was lacking a special attacker, and the mega slot was not used up, I decided to put Mega Mane here, and honestly it has been working great. It forces a lot of switches, and has Volt Switch for momentum, it can bring in mons like Kommo-o to set up and sweep. Also, with intimidate it gives its teammates easier time to set up on some physical attackers. The team was also really weak to Scizor, and Mane is a great check to Sciz with intimate, and access to Overheat/Flamethrower. Mane also helps out since the team is also lacking in immediate speed.
Threats:

: Hippowdon puts a stop to all of the sweeps with Whirlwind, and breaks the hail with Sand Stream, making it so Alola Slash cannot set up the Veil. It also stops Mega Mane from volting out, which is very annoying
: Scarf Lati outspeeds the entire team, including Kommo-o at +1, and can defog the veil away. Azu also has to Jet it after a Belly Drum if below 50.
: Chandy makes it so Azu has to be the wincon, unless the opponent throws it away. Its immune to E-Speed, and all of Kommo-o's moves, if Flash Fire (which it should be)
Conclusion:

This team was initially just made to be fun, but it turned out to be actually good as well. I hope this team does not get veil to be banned, bc its not dumb, and the move isn't broken, but yeah... Also Aurorus and A Slash should not be A- on the Vr. One, they only fit on one type of team, being Aveil, and that itself is not a reason to be that high on vr. When Aurora Veil was legal in Ru, those two were just B-, and that seemed perfect for what they can do.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-670240707 - shows Kommo-o's bulk and how easy it can set up
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-671604690 - Shows how Linoone can sweep once the normal resists are gone
I forgot to save them, but here is an easy time to shamelessly plug my yt:
- Here is where I climb big to the 1600s with the team and only lose one game where I lost bc of a roll.

First lemme shout out Lord Death Man since he made Sub Salac BD Kommo-o a thing, and damn, ty for that
Then Ima s/o teachable for telling me to make a team with that set, and so I did
Ima also s/o explodingdaisies for jumping on the veil train, its not broken right?
And lastly ima s/o my man Volttackle37 Please get back into competitive please =]

Cynde

toasty
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
this team just hard loses to stall. literally just does not beat quag at all. the quag switch in is also something like linoone or something which i find really really questionable but eh. i would recommend changing manectric to np salazzle and move the z move to this. with np / z move / hp grass it puts a load of pressure on stall teams which should create some openings for everything else.

i really do not consider normalium bd azumarill to be effective at all. because in order for the gimmick to actually work you have to hope your opponent gives you one free turn to get the first belly drum off and then the second free turn to get you back up to full which is really just not realistic. if you really really want to run normalium on this i would recommend using double edge over knock off which gives you a chance to beat quagsire after a little bit of chip damage, and it would let you beat the itemless / z move amoonguss that some bulkier teams are running to beat most azu. i really would recommend just making this sitrus though

like i said i hate the fact that the only thing you have to switch into quagsire is like, linoone so i know this is taking away from the triple belly drum gimmick but consider using latias over kommo-o, you can run an hp fire set to limit scizor's manoeuvrability but eh, i guess the whole point is to have 3 belly drum users. this does help with your hippo thing too btw.

252 SpA Life Orb Latias Psychic vs. 252 HP / 176 SpD Hippowdon: 179-212 (42.6 - 50.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

and at least this way you have something that can actually force latias to click draco which would open things up for your teammates.

this team just hard loses to stall. literally just does not beat quag at all. the quag switch in is also something like linoone or something which i find really really questionable but eh. i would recommend changing manectric to np salazzle and move the z move to this. with np / z move / hp grass it puts a load of pressure on stall teams which should create some openings for everything else.

i really do not consider normalium bd azumarill to be effective at all. because in order for the gimmick to actually work you have to hope your opponent gives you one free turn to get the first belly drum off and then the second free turn to get you back up to full which is really just not realistic. if you really really want to run normalium on this i would recommend using double edge over knock off which gives you a chance to beat quagsire after a little bit of chip damage, and it would let you beat the itemless / z move amoonguss that some bulkier teams are running to beat most azu. i really would recommend just making this sitrus though

like i said i hate the fact that the only thing you have to switch into quagsire is like, linoone so i know this is taking away from the triple belly drum gimmick but consider using latias over kommo-o, you can run an hp fire set to limit scizor's manoeuvrability but eh, i guess the whole point is to have 3 belly drum users. this does help with your hippo thing too btw.

252 SpA Life Orb Latias Psychic vs. 252 HP / 176 SpD Hippowdon: 179-212 (42.6 - 50.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

and at least this way you have something that can actually force latias to click draco which would open things up for your teammates.
I haven't actually faced too many quags, but when I do, I usually tend to save Aurorus who has freeze dry. I might also try using hp grass Mane since the Ice Type coverage is plentiful with Aurorus and A Slash on the team.

I haven't actually faced too many quags, but when I do, I usually tend to save Aurorus who has freeze dry. I might also try using hp grass Mane since the Ice Type coverage is plentiful with Aurorus and A Slash on the team.
And the Z Belly Drum helps it always set up a belly drum, even when below 50%, which can come in at times, though I will try out Z Double edge or Sitris on it

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
I think this was team was underappreciated before and if it wasn't one of the top Aveil teams, it definitely set the wave for it and a bunch of Belly Drum users.

UU didn't ban Aurora Veil but they did ban Ninetales Alolan, which obviously doesn't directly affect your team, but it got me thinking, why not use Hail Sandslash?

Have you considered running that and having a better Rocker in Auroros slot? I have been using your team with Hail Sandslash, Azelf over Auroros, and Vincune over Manectric to deal with the surge in TR.

However, the team is still too weak to VoltTurn and Toxic Spikes with my modifications so more changes will be needed to make it a good team.

Here's a replay of what I'm talking about

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-688090312

I've even considered running Dual Screen Mamoswine over Azelf but it's slow, lacks both STAB if running SR, and sounds kind of fishy overall.

It's still unfortunately stall weak, not least because of the Toxic Spikes weakness, so I'm considering removing one of the BD users to deal with that. Salazzle like mentioned above sounds attractive although that still has trouble with Quagsire to some small extent (HP Grass doesn't always KO) and Pyukumuku stall could be annoying lol.

Overall your team is great, keep us updated (even on YouTube which I subbed to) if you manage to adapt this team to the newest metagame.

I think this was team was underappreciated before and if it wasn't one of the top Aveil teams, it definitely set the wave for it and a bunch of Belly Drum users.

UU didn't ban Aurora Veil but they did ban Ninetales Alolan, which obviously doesn't directly affect your team, but it got me thinking, why not use Hail Sandslash?

Have you considered running that and having a better Rocker in Auroros slot? I have been using your team with Hail Sandslash, Azelf over Auroros, and Vincune over Manectric to deal with the surge in TR.

However, the team is still too weak to VoltTurn and Toxic Spikes with my modifications so more changes will be needed to make it a good team.

Here's a replay of what I'm talking about

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-688090312

I've even considered running Dual Screen Mamoswine over Azelf but it's slow, lacks both STAB if running SR, and sounds kind of fishy overall.

It's still unfortunately stall weak, not least because of the Toxic Spikes weakness, so I'm considering removing one of the BD users to deal with that. Salazzle like mentioned above sounds attractive although that still has trouble with Quagsire to some small extent (HP Grass doesn't always KO) and Pyukumuku stall could be annoying lol.

Overall your team is great, keep us updated (even on YouTube which I subbed to) if you manage to adapt this team to the newest metagame.
Some of the changes I have made before these massive metagame changes were hp fire aurorus for sciz (since people usually lead sciz anyway) and to help with quag I added hp grass m mane to catch Quagsire or even pert/seismi by surprise, and ofc the change by fire punch to shadow Claw on kommo-o.

I have not messed with the new changes yet, but I do plan on updating this team to adapt to the new meta.

I have thought about changing a move on a slash to hail, but never really wanted to get rid of eq or spin (which you got rid of iirc).

Getting a better rocker is something I have not thought of, and one that sets screens at that. It does seem interesting, and getting more protection besides just veil does seem helpful, and I think I’ll mess around with that at some point.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)