Beginner Friendly YouTube Channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCBarrett

i love it when you call me big hoppa
Hey guys, MCBarrett here to propose a few ideas for Smogon's YouTube Channel. Before I get started I figured this would be an okay place to post this but if it would be better served in another Forum or if there is anyone specifically I should run this by to get the ball rolling I would appreciate it if you could let me know.

Anyway, I had this idea a while ago after coming off of a short break from Pokemon only to see that the daily users on Pokemon Showdown had been growing rapidly in my absence. After a few battles I noticed quickly that all of these new users were clearly inexperienced and had no real idea of how to play the game correctly at all. I had been aware of the problems with trying to integrate new users into Smogon for some time and I felt that a good way to make sure new users were comfortable and had a good idea of what they were supposed to be doing would be to introduce them to the site, and to competitive battling in general, before they even made an account. Social Media seemed like a great medium to get this sort of thing out there, and there have been some advances on the Facebook Page that I feel have been positive but the YouTube channel has stuck to being focused on high level Tournament battles and SmogCasts. Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy these programs myself and think it is great for the community and should definitely stay. I just feel that there are some opportunities on YouTube to get people who are interested in Competitive Pokemon interested in the Smogon community, and to properly teach them how to play the game competitively. The Pokemon YouTube community is huge but there are very few channels that actually go through things like Team Building, Basic Prediction, and just useful information for competitive battling in general. And the few channels that do this are usually drastically undersubbed in comparison to people like Haydunn who just encourages people to use derp teams and clog the PS! ladder with new players ranging from mediocre to down right abysmal in skill.

As far as more specific ideas go I think having a few basic tutorials, with ideas along the lines of Shurtugal's How to Battle and Win for Beginners Guide in the OU Forum, some videos showcasing various Forums that beginners are usually drawn to like RMT or C&C, and guides outlining how to be a good user on the Forums and on the Battle Simulator would be a good start. We could also have weekly uploads showcasing the basics of various tiers, or have a Pokemon of the week video similar to what the Facebook page does, and we could take requests and do videos on some specific questions people may have. These are just ideas but I think things along these lines, which will keep beginners interested and excited on becoming part of the community, is what we should be going for. I also realize that this seems like a lot of ideas thrown out there at once, and it is to an extent, but I know there are a ton of capable users on site that would be able to help out with this channel and we have a good amount of users with YouTube experience as well so it shouldn't be too hard to get these things done.

Overall, I think this would help improve Smogon's image and would help new users make a smoother transition from beginner to competent poster/battler. It could also lighten the load on the Battling 101 project as people would have something to learn from without having a one on one tutor.

Thank you for taking the time to read my proposal, any feedback is greatly appreciated and any help to get the ball rolling on this idea would be great!

Toast++

Nexus is literally the worst.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
As someone who has very little idea about battling, I support this thread.

And as you can see, it'd help more than just new users.

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This is definitely a good idea. If you want to get started, you can try contacting @MikeDecIsHere and @locopoke since they have access to the Smogon YouTube account. :) idrmb who else has access to it but yea those people are probably the ones who you might want to approach. Or kd24 and LonelyNess too idk :o!

Sure, I have a few projects I need to work on for smogonu, but I can do a read through of shurtgal's guide with my own addition of flavor and such.

This definetly sounds like a good idea, 90% of the time I would help put the new guy myself. Get them setup with a solid team and teach them the basics. Anyway I'd love to see these types of videos be put up.

Mr. Uncompetitive

What makes us human?
is a Contributor Alumnus
You know, a while back, I thought of this kind of idea and yeah of course I'd support

I also think videos explaining why X is banned or why Y isn't banned would be very very very helpful for newcomers, as it's not easy to find that information without having to ask someone experienced in said tier or having to search through the forums for Suspect Threads.

tehy

Banned deucer.
Can you make one about why legendaries aren't broken or problematic? That'd be super awesome (I have some ideas about how it'd go, which I can give if this becomes a reality.)

Really it'd be cool if you did a small series about common PS misconceptions as well, although I understand these videos aren't targeted at that exact demographic

Can you make one about why legendaries aren't broken or problematic? That'd be super awesome (I have some ideas about how it'd go, which I can give if this becomes a reality.)

Really it'd be cool if you did a small series about common PS misconceptions as well, although I understand these videos aren't targeted at that exact demographic
Finnaly, The annoying people yelling at my latias and terrakion can stop. lol In all seriousness imo this is needed x.x

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Well it has to be said, some metagames have already started up their own youtube channels and are doing their own casts there. SmogonU can do OU, sure, but this isn't exactly all-metagames is it? It will be horrifically difficult to reach out to NU, RU, UU, OU, Ubers and LC at the same time...

MCBarrett

i love it when you call me big hoppa
Well it has to be said, some metagames have already started up their own youtube channels and are doing their own casts there. SmogonU can do OU, sure, but this isn't exactly all-metagames is it? It will be horrifically difficult to reach out to NU, RU, UU, OU, Ubers and LC at the same time...
Well chaos has said that, if possible, he would prefer having just one channel. If it were properly organized and there were multiple people with access to uploading on to the channel I don't think it would be too much of a problem. The new YouTube makes it pretty simple to categorize videos on your channel and keep them organized. However, I'm not opposed to the main channel being restricted to more generalized topics, like the ones I mentioned in the OP, and allowing each tier to do what they want regarding their own casts and whatnot.

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Well chaos has said that, if possible, he would prefer having just one channel. If it were properly organized and there were multiple people with access to uploading on to the channel I don't think it would be too much of a problem. The new YouTube makes it pretty simple to categorize videos on your channel and keep them organized. However, I'm not opposed to the main channel being restricted to more generalized topics, like the ones I mentioned in the OP, and allowing each tier to do what they want regarding their own casts and whatnot.
There is an ongoing longterm effort to reboot Smogon youtube and increase quality. We eventually hope to have videos for users of all skill levels, and potentially find new players through high quality, enjoyable videos. If you'd like to help, anything you can do would be appreciated. Seems like you've already talked to him, but chaos has been really great about giving people manager access and answering questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)