Battle Spot BEASTS BOOSTING

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
phero kart finished.png

B E A S T S _ B O O S T I N G

Another round of BSSC is over, and with a whole bunch of troublesome new megas being released soon that will shake up the meta quite a bit (and one that has already impacted this team) I thought I'd retire another team. I've been interested in the potential of Beast Boost recently so I've tried to make the abuse of that the focus of a team. I tried a few things until I stumbled upon the simplicity of Explosion Lando and realised it was the best. I also wanted to try something super offensive because I often default to bulky offense (because it's the best) and playing that style on cart can be quite slow so I wanted something faster since Showdown's fast animations has destroyed my patience, so I backed up the core with more boosters. I had quite a bit of success with the team, most notably is that it won me a bunch of games in BSSC4, of which I was runner-up, so the hyper-offense style seemed to work decently for me

Teambuilding Process:

Lando + Ultra Beasts was the start so I could use Lando as a suicide lead that chunked something so bad that getting a KO and subsequent Beast Boost was easy. Kart and Phero were chosen so I had physical and special options.

Kart and/or Phero have trouble with things like Mimikyu, Mega Gengar, and Mega Lucario, so I added Mega Gyara as a way to deal with them, and Lele as a revenge killing option.

I still somewhat struggled with bulky steels like Celesteela, and Aegislash, and some other things like Thundurus-T, so I added Mega Zard X since it has a positive matchup with those and I haven't used it much ever.

Pretty straight forward here!

The Team:

Landorus-T @ Focus Sash | Intimidate
Jolly | 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Earthquake | Rock Tomb | Explosion | Stealth Rock

This is what you want to lead with most of the time to get the Beast Boosts rolling, however with the Focus Sash this can also act as an emergency check to boosted threats like DD Charizard X, Conversion Porygon-Z, Blaziken, and Volcarona. Stealth Rock, while not completely necessary in BSS, helps get chip damage and break Focus Sashes which helps all the offensive mons on the team. A combination of Rock Tomb and either Earthquake or Explosion hurts a lot of things in the meta, if it isn't just KOing them you're crippling something real bad.

Kartana @ Darkinium Z | Beast Boost
Jolly | 4 HP / 180 Atk / 4 Def / 108 SpD / 212 Spe
Swords Dance | Leaf Blade | Sacred Sword | Night Slash

I like Kartana as a sweeper because it has the coverage to beat a lot of common physical checks in the meta like Hippowdon, Ferrothorn, Landorus-T, Tapu Fini, Rotom-W and Suicune. Z Night Slash is chosen as it covers a wide variety of Pokemon (super effectively and neutrally), allowing you to get the Beast Boost on more things. The EV spread drops the speed down to Nihilego as there's nothing really relevant between that and max, and gives special bulk to help against things like Tapu Koko and Tapu Lele so they can't revenge kill you from full health.

Pheromosa @ Fightinium Z | Beast Boost
Modest | 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Quiver Dance | Focus Blast | Bug Buzz | Ice Beam

I've used the standard Life Orb / Focus Sash Phero a lot and really liked it, and always wanted to try the Quiver Dance version. Getting the QD off is pretty tricky without the security of a Focus Sash, but I really like using Fightinium Z so you can KO something reliably without missing Focus Blast. I used Hidden Power Electric over Bug Buzz for a while because I kinda hated facing Gyarados, and I still think it's a good option, but then Focus Blast is your STAB and that kinda sucks so I switched to Bug Buzz.

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite | Intimidate
Jolly | 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Dragon Dance | Waterfall | Ice Fang | Earthquake

Despite being weak to Fairy, this is a great offensive check to Mimikyu as it can bust through its Disguise with Mold Breaker, it also has great Special Defense so it can usually take on Mega Gengar unless it gets Wisped. You can even keep this as non-mega if you need to take on Blaziken in a pinch, and Intimidate can come in clutch. Pretty straight DD set, other options I used were Crunch, Substitute, and Taunt, but I found the current three attacks provided the most utility.

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf | Psychic Surge
Modest | 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Psychic | Psyshock | Moonblast | Shadow Ball

Hard to go past Lele when you need a strong revenge killer / late game cleaner. Boosted psychic moves hurt pretty much everything, and Psychic Terrain stops my fast mons from not getting picked off by priority, which is super important an a really offensive team like this. I like Shadow Ball over Hidden Power Fire because Ferrothorn are set up fodder for Kartana.

Charizard @ Charizardite X | Blaze
Jolly | 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Dragon Dance | Outrage | Flare Blitz | Thunder Punch

This was originally a Flame Charge + Swords Dance Zard but I've been using DD for a little while and is what's currently in the team. I'm not sure what's better for the team, Swords Dance was much better at wallbreaking and Flame Charge was cool for picking off things like Ferrothorn and breaking Mimikyu's Disguise while getting a boost at the same time, but with Mega Blaziken out I changed to DD to try and get a free boost while they Protect. I've also wanted to try out Thunder Punch for a while, even though I have Kartana for Water-types I think it's kinda cool.​

And that's the team! Feel Free to give it a try if you like more offensive teams, but beware of Mega Blaziken. The team was made before that came out and I've found that it's really hard to keep in check. Apart from that I think it's a pretty user-friendly team that people should be able to pick up and get a feel for pretty easily.

Replays:
note: contains severe hax in my favour which sucks for showing off the team but I didn't save replays of laddering so I wouldn't get scouted lol. will attach some more later

BSSC Rd 2 vs terrors
Didn't play this one optimally because he kept DCing for minutes at a time and I lost my train of thought (evidenced by sacking Gyara while his Ferro heals back lol) but pulled through anyway

BSSC Rd 3 vs Natalie.
Back when I was using SD+Charge Zard. I choked by not SDing on the obvious Protect, but she misses HJK and gives me the game anyway

BSSC Rd 4 vs Psynergy
Got a super lucky Stone Edge miss but it was a 50/50 chance to OHKO before that with Outrage so idk lol

Threatlist:
As I said above, this was released after I made this team and never really adapted it to handle it. Sash Landorus and regular Gyarados can at least do something against it though.
Outspeeds Kartana, unboosted Gyarados, Pheromosa can't KO it, and Zard X kinda struggles with it. Lando often has to deal with it which stops me from being able to explode and get Kartana set up.
A well played Aegi can wreck almost anything. They're often paired with something that can easily switch in on Lando or Zard. Bopping them with Z Night slash is cool though.
Icicle Spear and/or Focus Sash leads totally mess up Lando. Kartana and Gyarados can easily switch in on it though. Found out the hard way that Choice Scarf sets bop me though.
Same as Koko, outspeeds Kartana and Phero can't do shit to it. Gyara fears burn but can set up a couple DDs to mitigate that. Zard is decent but hates Hypnosis + Hex sets (but I mean what doesn't)
Even though Zard doesn't really care about it, the rest of my team struggles pretty hard so I'm forced into bringing Zard when I see it.
Toxapex isn't really a HUGE problem on its own because of Lele, but when paired with the standard stall core mons like Chansey, Muk, and Skarmory, taking down the Toxapex I find is the trickiest.

There's more but I'm kinda drained from writing all this so might add more later

Importable:
Landorus-Therian @ Focus Sash
Ability: Intimidate
Level: 50
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
- Explosion
- Stealth Rock

Pheromosa @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Focus Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Ice Beam

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Shadow Ball

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang
- Earthquake

Kartana @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 180 Atk / 4 Def / 108 SpD / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Night Slash

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Flare Blitz
- Thunder Punch

Nice team already bro, i like a lot this super offensive style. Plus that sashed lando is really a thing these days, and it's even more seen than hippo lately. I totally like the team

Given this, even if scarf Lele is always a great idea, wouldn't Screens Lele help a little more the team? I would try it out if i were you, since rocks + screen + setup sweepers is a very solid combo.

@ Light Clay
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 212 Spe
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Psychic / Moonblast
- Taunt

The spread is to maximize its bulk while still being able to outspeed Jolly Excadrill. While taunt is a given on a support.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)