Battle Tree Discussion and Records

Mimikyu in the back with M-Salamence works pretty well in Multis. I had a Megagross partner and deadweight Sableye and still got to 80.

Hello! I'm new in this forum, so I am not sure if this topic have to be here. Please move it if necessay.
This is my team in doubles for the battle tree, and i would like to know what changes can I do to improve. I know it's not the best team, but it worked 32 wins.

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Discharge
- Dazzling Gleam
- Protect
- Volt Switch

Greninja @ Expert Belt
Ability: Protean
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Grass Knot
- Scald
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam

Kartana
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
- Aerial Ace

Blaziken-Mega @ Blazikenite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Stone Edge
- Blaze Kick
- Sky Uppercut

Thank you for any help!

Hello all! This is my team, and i reached 33 wins. What could I improve?

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Discharge
- Dazzling Gleam
- Protect
- Volt Switch

Greninja @ Expert Belt
Timid Nature
- Grass Knot
- Scald
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam

Kartana
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
- Aerial Ace

Blaziken-Mega @ Blazikenite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Stone Edge
- Blaze Kick
- Sky Uppercut

Thanks for your help

Your Blaziken basically needs a complete moveset change. Too much inaccurate moves that WILL end up screwing you up.

Flare Blitz + Low Kick are good enough as stabs. You can run a further coverage (but avoid rock as inaccurate)like Brave Bird or Brick Break if you want the utility, or even Sword Dance if you feel like in the position to use it,

There's also no point in having Aerial Ace on Kartana seeing it already has a 100% move in Smart Strike which is also stab. Protect, substitute are better options which increase its longevity, and Night Slash or Psycho Cut actually add some extra supereffective coverage if you want to go 4 attacks.

It's difficult to put a place for the 3 musketeer. Terrakion suffers from having a terrible stab for Tree (outside of Z-crystal), Cobalion stats are lackluster, and Virizion just has terrible typing all around.

If you want to try for one of those, Cobalion is likely the safest to use.

Back again this time to report three completed streaks, one for Singles and two for Doubles! The second of the Doubles involves a new team which Smuckem has added to the QR3, but I'll introduce it properly further down. I feel like I should have owed this thread an update post by now; between postponing this writeup due to general laziness, other real life stuff getting in the way, wanting to keep planning new things to try (it's a hard life), to having to send off my laptop to a repair shop, it's definitely way overdue. As a result, all three losses happened a fair while ago now (at least 2+ months), so I'll also apologize in advance if the descriptions concerning each team aren't of the utmost detail. But USUM is fast approaching, and who knows what Battle Facility experiences those installments will bring, so I'd like to immortalize my Tree adventures before any of them are forgotten.

Sharkanine
:- completed at 2,180 wins

Losing battle: #2,181 vs Sina: YECW-WWWW-WWW7-TEJR [Salamence-3/Goodra-34/Uxie-3/Garchomp-3]

- Kind of an ugly one. I went for the Arcanine switch to reset Sharpedo's -1 and also get a -1 on potential Mega Mence, and I wasn't expecting Arcanine to go down even to a double target anyway. Next turn's plan was to muscle through the Goodra and finish Mence off with HH Dazzling Gleam; I didn't think Mence protecting here and sticking around for another turn was such a big deal, but Lele is forced to Gleam once again while taking a Shadow Ball from Uxie. Had I instead been able to score a double down and get both backups coming in at once, Lele would've been at full HP and thus had a better matchup against...the dreaded midgame Scarf Chomp with an EQ-immune partner, with weakened teammates and no way of outspeeding outside a double Protect from Sharpedo. I was sorta caught unawares by this, slowly realizing how much of a number this combination could do to my team. I think my downfall was not keeping Arcanine in to go for the HH Psychic Fangs KO onto Chomp; shuffling Intimidate always has its perks, but the amount of switching around I did against Scarf EQ was just playing with fire, and sure enough, my own Chomp was CH'd after Tectonic Rage fell short of the KO, which did matter after the -1. I was asking for that to happen though, I was playing too passively around Uxie-3 when I had the opportunity to KO Chomp, and chance the Quick Claw not activating on more than one occasion. I also realized I misplayed hard by the time it came down to the 1v2, with no way to avoid the EQ 2HKO due to me not having allies around for Sharpedo, thus no spread-reduced damage. If I had any chance of winning there, I would've needed to crit Chomp, dodge a Thunder, pray for no QC activation the next turn and then knock Uxie out. Alas, my brain did not comprehend that there was a slight out at that moment, so I didn't even try for it...R.I.P.

In saying that, this team has had an incredible run and I couldn't be much happier. I have a good feeling the Sharks will want to test their mettle again in a couple months' time...

Type: Salaslash
:- completed at 530 wins

Losing battle: #531 vs Veteran Priya: 8KRG-WWWW-WWW7-TEJG [Suicune/Azelf/Cobalion]

- Basically me playing sloppy against Suicune and letting it wear down my team way too much. I tried to coax out another Rest by spamming Substitute with Mega Mence, what a bad idea that was when I forgot Quick Attack Cobalion was a thing. Always check the Trainer pools, kids! Still, I'm fairly content in getting this far in Singles play with an inferior Chansey.

I did save a few Battle Videos along the way but ended up deleting almost all of them along the way to make room for battles offered by more "interesting" teams (shout out to '10 uploads at a time restriction'); there was some degree of satisfaction in the earlier stages spending ten million turns to ensure a safe, uninterrupted sweep and wanting to save a few instances of that, but then you realize that stallfest went on for 15 minutes just to advance the streak counter by 1 and you think, "who the hell would actually enjoy watching this?" I decided to keep one extra though (#449: T6AG-WWWW-WWW8-VH6L), purely for the amusing sight of Passimian (an already uncommon Tree mon) flinching Aegislash five times in a row with Rock Slide, achieving a net damage of 10 after Leftovers recovery.

Telepathy Trick Room
:- completed at 239 wins

Oranguru (F) ("Cornelia") @ Mental Herb
Nature: Sassy
Ability: Telepathy
IVs: 31/0/31/31/31/0
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 SpD
- Trick Room
- Instruct
- Psychic
- Protect

Mudsdale (M) ("Horsepower") @ Groundium Z
Nature: Brave
Ability: Stamina
IVs: 31/x/31/31/31/0, Hyper Trained to 31/31/31/31/31/0
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
- Earthquake {Tectonic Rage}
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Vikavolt (M) ("Bug Zapper") @ Life Orb
Nature: Quiet
Ability: Levitate
IVs: 31/1/31/31/31/0
EVs: 212 HP / 252 SpA / 44 SpD
- Discharge
- Thunderbolt
- Bug Buzz
- Protect

Mawile (F) ("Tooth Fairy") @ Mawilite
Nature: Brave
Ability: Intimidate --> Huge Power
IVs: 31/x/31/31/31/0, Hyper Trained to 31/31/31/31/31/0
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
- Play Rough
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

The second Doubles team involved another Trick Room jaunt, this time however I attempted to exploit the synergy offered by Telepathy Oranguru, Earthquaking Mudsdale and Discharging Vikavolt, who naturally also has Levitate. Obvious flaws aside from not having reassurance vs Fake Out users and other flinch moves, the lineup reads something like 'click appropriate attack for the situation, then Instruct it.' Life Orb Vikavolt and M-Mawile in particular can be devastating in this fashion, while somewhat alleviating Play Rough's imperfect accuracy. Not much thought went into designing the squad - a pretty one-dimensional affair enabling use of two Alola natives I hadn't tried prior which was fun - and the structure wasn't that bad where shit immediately hits the fan if you can't set TR; there were a few such instances throughout the run where Oranguru was not fit to stay in, instead switching to Mawile for Intimidate and just attacking without the Room's aid was rewarded.

Losing battle: #240 vs Sina: ERGG-WWWW-WWW7-TEYL [Abomasnow/Drampa/Glaceon/Lilligant]

- Not focusing accurate fire on Glaceon (Close Combat instead of Rock Slide for instance) definitely contributed to my downfall here; Snow Cloak is never good news, granted this team doesn't have reliable switch-ins to hail abusers but I should've tried to target down Glaceon first. CH and freeze on Mawile was unfortunate, as well as the first Iron Head miss, but still I didn't play this too well, with Vikavolt also being weakened by the time he was able to do much of anything.

..Oh, and I might as well mention now that Mega Lopunny is reaching impressive heights; she's currently going strong at 800 wins along with Landorus/Tapu Fini/Aegislash. I can't really upload more without deleting some others first, so I'm planning to either compile the list of BVs racking up into another YouTube video if I manage to hit 1,000, or simply do it anyway whenever I lose. Always some entertaining battles whenever Encore or Misty Terrain are involved, I'll tell you that.

I post my team again with a few changes:

Tapu Koko @ Fairium Z
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Protect
- Volt Switch

Greninja @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Grass Knot
- Scald
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam

Kartana
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
- Protect

Garchomp-Mega @ Garchompite
Ability: Sand Force
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Protect
- Dragon Claw
- Stone Edge

I don't like stone edge in garchomp, and i don't know what object give to kartana (i think life orb, but in that case i dont know what give to greninja)

Thanks for your help

I post my team again with a few changes:

Tapu Koko @ Fairium Z
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Protect
- Volt Switch

Greninja @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Grass Knot
- Scald
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam

Kartana
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
- Protect

Garchomp-Mega @ Garchompite
Ability: Sand Force
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Protect
- Dragon Claw
- Stone Edge

I don't like stone edge in garchomp, and i don't know what object give to kartana (i think life orb, but in that case i dont know what give to greninja)

Thanks for your help
If you really want the Rock type move on Garchomp, Rock Slide is much better than Stone Edge, just for accuracy reasons.

And the item to give to Kartana depends on how you use it. A Choice item, Focus Sash, Assault Vest, Z-Crystal, or even Scope Lens can work. If it only comes in after another member gets KO'd, a Focus Sash means it can still come in without losing it's item. Even if you decide to choose a Z-Crystal for Kartana, Tapu Koko can run a few other items, like a Choice item.

Poison jab is a decent coverage option for Garchomp, allows him to hit several grass types supereffectively, have supereffective hits vs Fairies, actually hits shiinotic and whimsicott for 4x, and only really be walled by Skarmory which your other team mates easily deal with anyway.

As for Kartana, your safest bet is focus sash. Come in, pick up free Beast Boost on weakened target, hopefully pick up a 2nd with the +1 before going down.

I've been working on my new team but I'm unsure on how to run Tapu Fini. I've looked at the various ways others here have run it for ideas but that's left me even more confused. I'm thinking of running a Bold natured one with Muddy Water, Moonblast, Haze and possibly Protect but I have no idea on the EV spread. It will be paired with the below Pokemon, leading with Weavile.
Weavile @ Focus Sash
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Pressure
IVs: 31/31/31/X/31/31
EVs: 0/252/6/0/0/252
Moves:
- Fake Out
- Protect
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
(egg moves: Throat Chop, Ice Shard, Icicle Crash, Fake Out)

Thundurus-Therian @ Electrium Z
Nature: Timid
Ability: Volt Absorb
IVs: 31/0/31/31/31/31 (Hyper Trained)
EVs: 0/0/0/252/6/252
Moves:
- Thunderbolt (Gigavolt Havoc)
- Hidden Power Ice
- Protect
- Psychic

Lucario @ Lucarionite
Ability: Justified > Adaptability
Moves:
- Protect
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Crunch
(egg moves: Blaze Kick, Crunch, Bullet Punch, Agility)
Anyone have any suggestions on how I should run Tapu Fini? I haven't caught it yet so I'm up for nature and moveset suggestions as well.

if you are going for a pure defensive build, might as well go hp/def. If you decide to have an offensive plan, Scald generally overshadows Muddy Water simply due to the terrible accuracy.

And for Weavile, i'd definitely replace Icicle crash with Ice Punch (egg move, or tutored if you have accesso to a gen 6) for same reason, accuracy.

Sludge Bomb or Clear Smog on TR Amoonguss? One is useful for some 2HKOs on grass types who can't be spored, as well as making it less deadweight if it must attack. The other is a really good albeit highly situational utility, particularly neutering Stockpile spammers and wiping evasion away.

Other three moves will unquestionably be Rage Powder/Spore/Giga Drain. I'm toying with a spread slightly less heavy on HP- 209, for Black Sludge but putting a considerable amount into Def because of some promising calcs (however still Sassy with more SpD than Def.)

I'm compelled to try both, though I was wondering if someone had an opinion.

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Clear Smog.

In the few times I've used Amoonguss, I have found very, very few opportunities for it to enact any offense; keep the thing as support-based as possible.

Then again, you well know what format I've exclusively used it in...

I'm no expert, but I'd say sludge bomb. Set up sweepers are less threatening in TR due to usually still under speeding your TR optimal Pokémon, so you can probably just KO them with your other mons, or the extra firepower of sludge bomb

Personal opinion is that singe Amoonguss is already passive enough on its own, having the option to remove buffs is generally superior to a tad extra damage, since it would allow you to not be threatened by most setup sweepers, expecially certain Rest sets.

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
We (your fans at the Discord channel) were actually wondering what sorts of partners you have planned for Amoongus, since not running Sludge Bomb means you have no immediate way to deal with opposing Grasses right now.

I also doubt you're going to be insane and run Power Item Staraptor or Arcanine...

Until Triples becomes a thing again, Power Item Staraptor won't even be on standby, heh. Arcanine has been taken out of the lineup entirely as well, and probably has even less chance of ever leaving the Bank.

As for Amoonguss, it doesn't have a definitive place on any team, but then, no one does. You of all people know how my team selection works, silly. That said, what made me breed a Foongus in the first place was memories of the grief it was giving me in the tree, much like Shiinotic; surprisingly bulky and incredibly annoying or dangerous alongside much stronger threats. Ideally, Triples will become a thing again soon, because some of my most enjoyable teams included pokes with no role beyond support, like Blissey. I expect Amoonguss to be utterly fantastic in that regard.

Speaking of soon, I was pleased to note that a certain new poke is going to be UM exclusive, as if either of the two were going to be TR-worthy, it'd probably be that one. Resetting for Guzzlord was pretty unenjoyable but I'm willing to do it again. (Oh, yeah, and dumping Dragon Rush for the innately superior Z-Outrage. There's that to look forward to. I should use Oranguru/Vikavolt/Crabominable/Guzzlord again... incredible shitmons...)

It is awesome! And I call it shit in the most endearing way possible. Coming from me, it's a compliment.

If anything, I am normally the one to come to a shitmon's defense when people cast it aside, refusing to acknowledge its purpose. And if a pokemon isn't considered sub-par, I find a way to make it so.

Snip...

Speaking of soon, I was pleased to note that a certain new poke is going to be UM exclusive, as if either of the two were going to be TR-worthy, it'd probably be that one. Resetting for Guzzlord was pretty unenjoyable but I'm willing to do it again. (Oh, yeah, and dumping Dragon Rush for the innately superior Z-Outrage. There's that to look forward to. I should use Oranguru/Vikavolt/Crabominable/Guzzlord again... incredible shitmons...)
I personally like the look of UB Burst more - though I have a suspicion that it is Electric/Poison type... (I'm guessing Assembly is either Steel, Rock, or Steel/Rock type).

I've been working on my new team but I'm unsure on how to run Tapu Fini. I've looked at the various ways others here have run it for ideas but that's left me even more confused. I'm thinking of running a Bold natured one with Muddy Water, Moonblast, Haze and possibly Protect but I have no idea on the EV spread. It will be paired with the below Pokemon, leading with Weavile.
Weavile @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
Moves:
- Fake Out
- Protect
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
(egg moves: Throat Chop, Ice Shard, Icicle Crash, Fake Out)

Thundurus-Therian @ Electrium Z
Nature: Timid
Ability: Volt Absorb
IVs: 31/0/31/31/31/31 (Hyper Trained)
EVs: 0/0/0/252/6/252
Moves:
- Thunderbolt (Gigavolt Havoc)
- Hidden Power Ice
- Protect
- Psychic

Lucario @ Lucarionite
Ability: Justified > Adaptability
Moves:
- Protect
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Crunch
(egg moves: Blaze Kick, Crunch, Bullet Punch, Agility)
Anyone have any suggestions on how I should run Tapu Fini? I haven't caught it yet so I'm up for nature and moveset suggestions as well.
Leading with Lucario alongside Weavile appears to make more sense given how frail it is; you might not even get one move in keeping it in the back vs. tricky matchups, Trick Room users for example. Your team would then perhaps benefit more from a bulkier Bold Fini with Leftovers, Scald/Moonblast/Protect/support move - I'm personally biased toward Taunt for its stallbreaking and TR-stopping effect, haven't tried Haze but it might not be bad in Doubles with a more defensive set. Fini should grant you ample opportunities to switch it in thanks to natural solid bulk, typing and to of course generate Misty Terrain, while Thundurus isn't exactly bulky its two immunities can also give you options to preserve your leads throughout a battle.

As for Amoonguss, it doesn't have a definitive place on any team, but then, no one does. You of all people know how my team selection works, silly. That said, what made me breed a Foongus in the first place was memories of the grief it was giving me in the tree, much like Shiinotic; surprisingly bulky and incredibly annoying or dangerous alongside much stronger threats. Ideally, Triples will become a thing again soon, because some of my most enjoyable teams included pokes with no role beyond support, like Blissey. I expect Amoonguss to be utterly fantastic in that regard.
Speaking of Shiinotic... you might have had this happen as well (and anyone else who's used Oranguru on a team), but just to add another tick as to why Instruct is my favourite move of this generation, while using that last TR team my M-Mawile got Spored under TR (due to being outsped by the funguy), she burned her first sleep turn as I then Instructed her for the hell of it; to my surprise she woke up and got her revenge right away with an Iron Head to the face.

But really, I should have suspected this was possible after witnessing the "Protect and attack in the same turn" shenanigans with Araquanid; that in-game counters for Protect failing, being asleep, confusion, lock-in moves etc. aren't hinged on strict turns, rather actions (using a move). Combine this fact with Instruct and on rare occasions you can pull off some awesome yet totally plausible feats!

Yyyyyep. I've had confusion wear off in this manner more times than I care to remember. Oranguru is a serious contender for best Trick Room setter in the game, but I might still rank Slowbro higher if the format is Triples.

It pains me when Mega Audino comes up often in "worst mega" threads because she is also an extremely good setter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)