Battle Tower Team [HeartGold]

I've been having good matches with this team on PO. Here is the only saved log I could find: http://pokemon.aesoft.org/replay-Ducky22-vs-rockycrab--2012-05-26. It's not a good example because it's 3 vs 6, and for the fact that the Dream World ability, Unaware, screwed me over. Remember that Battle Tower trainers rarely switch out Pokemon, unlike PO trainers who try to give me a hard time. Anyways, here is my team:

Starmie @ Choice Scarf
Natural Cure
Timid 252 HP/4 SpD/252 Spe
-Trick
-Thunder Wave
-Flash
-Confuse Ray
This EV spread lets Starmie be fairly bulky while still retaining maximum speed. Choice Scarf Starmie is bloody fast and outruns Ninjask (which my previously used Metagross was having problems with). Thunder Wave, Flash, and Confuse Ray makes the attacks of opposing Pokemon harder to execute. Even if the opponent's Pokemon is scarfed, it is still locked-on to the move it uses (likely something super-effective against Starmie), so setting up would be easy with my other Pokemon. If the opposing Pokemon is locked on to a non-attacking move, I basically win!

Garchomp @ Salac Berry
Sand Veil
Jolly 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
-Substitute
-Swords Dance
-Earthquake
-Dragon Claw
Garchomp can freely come in on a locked-on electric or resisted attack. The idea is that since the opposing Pokemon is extremely crippled, Garchomp would easily outspeed it for safe substitutes and possibly avoid some attacks. Garchomp is probably the best setup sweeper with the best typing.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Sturdy
Careful 252 HP/4 Atk/252 SpD
-Curse
-Payback
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
Skarmory's typing goes well with my other Pokemon, being immune to ground-type moves, essentially making her only weakness fire, since Garchomp can take the electric attacks. I could go with a Swords Dance set, but then lack of defensive EVs would be risky. Unlike my previous Pokemon, Suicune, Skarmory's Payback hits everything in the game with 100% accuracy, while Suicune's Surf had problems with water absorbers. Skarmory functions similarly to Crocune; that is, to set up with Curse, to take status attacks, to get more HP back with Rest and Sleep Talk, and to attack with a boosted Payback. Sturdy is an amazing ability for hax tower, since OHKO moves will fail.

Threats: Priority moves like Ice Shard pose a problem for Garchomp, especially if Garchomp is not behind a substitute (although Skarmory could take on Ice Shard users easily). If one of the remaining two Pokemon knew special fire-type attacks like Overheat, Skarmory would be placed in a sticky situation because although it should have sky-high defense and attack after several Curses, its speed would be middling. The HP and special defense EV investment should let Skarmory survive at least 1 critical STAB Overheat. A revenge sweeping Garchomp could be at risk of a burn for other fire-type attacks.

I would like to know your thoughts on this before I set out to train these Pokemon in-game.

Thanks for rating!

There are better Pokemon to run a flash set than Starmie. And even if you did keep it, I would recommend changing it to double team. Its the same thing as flash except it doesn't reset every time you kill something. And that Curse set you have there is interesting, but I wouldn't say its amazing. Strong water type attacks would easily wear you down. It my seem like an unorthidox way to go, but why not try a Sheer Cold Articuno in place of Starmie.

Articuno @ Leftovers
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Sp. Def
-Lock-On
-Sheer Cold
-Roost
-Ice Beam
This set is designed to compliment your Skarmory (whom I will discuss in a sec). Because Lock-on makes any move after it a surefire hit, Articuno is able to 2HKO every pokemon in the game, except those with Sturdy, many of which are weak to ice beam or stopped cold by Skarmory. Also, in the battle tower, there is no better pokemon for dealing with defensive pokes, or those stupid Double Teamers. Articuno has massive special bulk, so it can also clear any of those specially based pokemon that can hurt Skarmory and the quick ice types that plague Garchomp. Also, this way, you have an answer to Special Attackers (with Articuno) Physical Attackers (with Skarm) Defenisve Pokes (with Articuno again), Mixed attacks (just about all are killed with SD chomp after a boost or super effective hit) in addition to any type advantages you may have.

I recommend Changing Skarms moveset a bit too.
Did you know that Skarmory gets Roost? Its a much better option as it doesn't leave you vulnerable for two whole turns and Skarmory is already resistant to Toxic (Rest's biggest advantage over 50% recovery moves). You also no longer need Sleep talk, so how about we put Drill Peck in there? You'd have to remake the Skarm because it doesn't naturally learn it. I guess if you wanted to be lazy, you could use steel wing, but it wouldn't provide near as much coverage.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck with the team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)