Battle Mechanics Research

Hypothetical situation: A Swift Swim Ludicolo is on the field, in rain. After Ludicolo KOes a pokemon, an Altaria with the ability Cloud Nine switches in. The next turn, Altaria mega evolves. Which pokemon would move first? (for the purposes of the example, both mons are max speed w/ boosting nature, and neither use a priority move) I'm guessing that Altaria goes first because turn order is determined at the beginning of the turn, but I just wanted to make sure.

I can confirm that Origin Pulse, despite being a "pulse" move (its Japanese name is 'Kongen no Hadou' after all), can't hit non-adjacent Pokémon in a Triple Battle. Tested in a Free Battle on Battle Spot.

Such a shame: it would have been the first move of its kind that can hit two opponents, one of them being non-adjacent.

I think Mega Launcher should increase the BP of Origin Pulse, though I've read that Origin Pulse fails if used by Pokémon other than Kyogre, so further research can't be done. Is this true?

Assuming that there are two Pokemon in battle, one with harsh weather ability (Desolate Land, Primordial Sea, or Delta Stream), and second with ability that removes weather effects (Cloud Nine or Air Lock), can a move (or ability in double/triple battles) be used to change weather into something else?

Showdown suggests that it can (http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/balancedhackmons-199117088, ignore illegal stuff, I just used them for fun, this can be easily done with legal stuff), but I wonder about actual game.

Assuming that there are two Pokemon in battle, one with harsh weather ability (Desolate Land, Primordial Sea, or Delta Stream), and second with ability that removes weather effects (Cloud Nine or Air Lock), can a move (or ability in double/triple battles) be used to change weather into something else?

Showdown suggests that it can (http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/balancedhackmons-199117088, ignore illegal stuff, I just used them for fun, this can be easily done with legal stuff), but I wonder about actual game.
I just tried this on cart, and it doesn't work.

Does Autotomize half the user's weight, or does it reduce the user's weight by 100 kg? The internet seems to disagree as far as which one is right.

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
Hypothetical situation: A Swift Swim Ludicolo is on the field, in rain. After Ludicolo KOes a pokemon, an Altaria with the ability Cloud Nine switches in. The next turn, Altaria mega evolves. Which pokemon would move first? (for the purposes of the example, both mons are max speed w/ boosting nature, and neither use a priority move) I'm guessing that Altaria goes first because turn order is determined at the beginning of the turn, but I just wanted to make sure.
Your assumptions are correct.
Would a Pokémon immune to Rock-type (i.e. Wonder Guard in Hackmons) take any damage from Stealth Rock?
Wonder Guard is not an immunity to indirect damage, so yes it would.
I can confirm that Origin Pulse, despite being a "pulse" move (its Japanese name is 'Kongen no Hadou' after all), can't hit non-adjacent Pokémon in a Triple Battle. Tested in a Free Battle on Battle Spot.

Such a shame: it would have been the first move of its kind that can hit two opponents, one of them being non-adjacent.

I think Mega Launcher should increase the BP of Origin Pulse, though I've read that Origin Pulse fails if used by Pokémon other than Kyogre, so further research can't be done. Is this true?
Origin Pulse works when used by any Pokemon (only Hyperspace Fury is coded not to), and yeah, it is a pulse move.
In a double battle, does lightning rod redirect Electrify itself?
Yes.
Does Autotomize half the user's weight, or does it reduce the user's weight by 100 kg? The internet seems to disagree as far as which one is right.
This is the right answer: http://pokemonshowdown.com/dex/moves/autotomize

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Something interesting I just found out that OM players might care about. If a Pokemon with Protean uses Curse, they will inflict themselves with the damage-over-time effect.

EDIT: Thought I should clarify that this video isn't mine, I found it on a different forum.

Last edited:
According to Serebii, Thunder (and now hurricane) still have a chance to break Protect under rain (25 percent rather than 30 percent.) Link is here, look under Rain:
http://www.serebii.net/games/weather.shtml
Is this true? I know Serebii can be incorrect about battle mechanics at times, is there any way to prove this?
That mechanic is exclusive to Diamond and Pearl (it doesn't happen even in our Gen 4 formats, which use the engine from Platinum onwards, where the glitch was removed)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)