Balancing work with play

Well if i had anything to say about my some-what average grades, it would have to be that i could do so much better, but it's like i have add, tough i've never been check for it, and it's pretty much a myth around here, and because of that i may be studying or doing homework and then all of sudden shift to play some video games or watch TV or get on the computer or something among the lines.

This has taken it's toll on school, and tough i tell myself not too get distracted or stay focused i just seem to go there anyways.

So i'm asking for advice to keep focused or not distracted, also say if this happens to you....

OOH SOMETHING SHINY!

listen to music while you work, its the most enjoyable thing you can really do without using your eyes or your hands.

computer/tv is bad idea though, youll get caught up in something on it and just wont focus out.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
Man up.

Developing a work ethic gets you everywhere in life and everything worthwhile requires commitment and hard work.

Time is finite and it is always against you so organise it wisely. Here is what you do:

1. Use a spreadsheet; have M/T/W/T/F/S/S going across the top and the time in 15 minute increments down the side. Colour code the cells etc.
2. Establish and maintain a consistent sleep cycle; THIS IS SO IMPORTANT and is the foundation of any manageable routine. Plan to sleep 7-8 hours a day and make up lost sleep.
3. Plan your study for when you feel the most awake/alert (this will depend on the individual) and use standard session limits (60/90 minutes).
4. Take 15 minute breaks in between sessions; check email, browse Smogon, eat something, phone a friend, whatever.
5. Keep to a realistic timetable; 1-3 sessions a day (3-5 during exam season) and keep to it. That way there is still some flexibility if you feel like doing more.
6. Psychologically, it feels infinitely better to do 5 hours of work when you planned for 4 than if you planned for 6.
7. Reserve 15 minutes at the end of each day to review the work you have done that day.
8. Reserve 15 minutes at the beginning of each day to review the work you did on the previous day.

It will be challenging to start off with, but once you become accustomed to the routine, you will wonder wtf you were doing with your time before.

Edit: BTW, employers love this shit. If you are asked a question in an interview about time management, you should most definitely fist pump in your head.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)