SM UU Balanced UU Team

Just started trying UU a week or two ago, and this is the team I've been using. So far it's peaked in the low 1500s, which I know is not great, but that's why I'm posting this thread; I know it's missing something, but I don't know what. (Also, everyone ignored me when I tried to post it in the RMT chat :/)

So, here's what I got!

Prudence (Infernape) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

"On my mark, soldiers! GO!"

I started out my teambuilding process with a pretty typical physical ScarfNape set, with Flare Blitz and Close Combat for STAB, Stone Edge for hitting Flying-types, and U-Turn for pivoting (and also nailing Psychic-types who switch in). In practice, she tends to be the one to sweep through the opposing team late-game, after her slower but more powerful teammates have punched enough holes in the opposition.

Esteban (Scizor) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Defog

"When I'm through with you, you'll be nothing more than a pile of tatters on the ground."

I heard somewhere that Scizor has good offensive synergy with Infernape, so he was a natural choice for the second team member. Psychic-type switches in, Infernape U-turns into Scizor, Scizor uses Pursuit, and boom! No more Psychic. Scizor also constitutes my main check to Mega Aerodactyl, capable of downing it with a single Bullet Punch.

As for why I gave him Defog... well, my team loses pretty badly to hazard stackers otherwise.

Leopold (Primarina) (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Surf
- Moonblast
- Energy Ball
- Psychic

"Don't underestimate me because I'm beautiful."

There's a reason I gave both Infernape and Scizor U-Turn: namely, so that they both can pivot out of physical walls they can't handle and hand things over to Primarina, who can then proceed to nuke the opposing team. I decided to invest in bulk rather than speed to take advantage of Primarina's decent SpD stat, allowing him to switch into a lot of special attacks and go to town.

As for the moveset, it's pretty self-explanatory. Surf and Moonblast for STAB, Energy Ball to lure bulky Waters, and Psychic to lure Poison-types.

Hugh (Gastrodon) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Recover
- Toxic

"Wha?...Sorry, I spaced out for a sec."

Gastrodon here is my physical damage sponge. His job is to tank hits from the likes of Infernape and Scizor, heal off the damage, and spread as many Scald burns and Toxic poisonings as he can before he's forced out. That's all there is to it, really.

Cassie (Blissey) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled

"What in God's name would y'all do without me?"

Now here's my special damage sponge. Blissey here acts as a blanket check to several of the special attackers in the tier, as she's practically impervious to any form of special offense barring Tail Glow Xurkitree and Psyshock Latias. Since there are so many threats she can safely switch into, she has plenty of opportunties to keep her team healthy with both Heal Bell and Wish.

As an aside, I recently played someone on the ladder who got salty and ragequit because Blissey was supposedly "carrying my team". I thought it was just a standard teambuilding process to choose teammates who can compensate for the weaknesses of the rest of the team, but apparently it's a total scrub move. *shrug*

Puck (Celebi) @ Grassium Z
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- Leaf Storm
- U-turn

"What fools these mortals be!"

And finally, you have my offensive SR setter, Celebi. Its resistances to Ground, Electric, Grass and Fighting let it check or counter a lot of threats that threaten my other teammates. It's a particularly effective check to Xurkitree (depending on what Hidden Power it's carrying), and it's great at revenge killing Conkeldurr and Buzzwole (the latter of whom, I should point out, can give my team a really hard time).

As for the Z-move, I opted for Bloom Doom instead of Shattered Psyche. The benefit of firing off a Grass nuke without risking a miss or lowering SpA seemed too good to pass up. Also, U-Turn, because there's no such thing as too many pivoters.

And that's it! All feedback is greatly appreciated.

Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Esteban (Scizor) (M) @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Defog

Modest Nature
- Surf
- Moonblast
- Energy Ball
- Psychic

Hugh (Gastrodon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Recover
- Toxic

Bold Nature
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled

Puck (Celebi) @ Grassium Z
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- Leaf Storm
- U-turn

Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Esteban (Scizor) (M) @ Occa Berry
Adamant Nature
- Defog
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Natural Gift

Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Moonblast
- Sparkling Aria
- Psychic

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Protect

Bold Nature
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled

Puck (Celebi) @ Groundium Z
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Psychic
- Giga Drain
- Earth Power

Last edited:
Hey Blumetwitz, I decided to look over your team here, and after going over it here's what I've got.
Your team, while not too shabby, has incredible struggle against Chandelure, Alolan Muk, and Forretress. You only have at least one pokemon on your team that can counter each of the three. Also some of your choices are very questionable such as a defensive Blissey and defog on a choiced pokemon. That being said it's a good team overall. The scarf Infernape is incredibly scary, and Celbi is a good choice for a special sweeper. Here's what I'd do to improve your team.
1. Swap Primarina's Choice specs for an Assault vest. This should allow you to handle chandelure a little better, especially if it's a specs one. it can also allow you to stay in against pokemon that would normally give it trouble, especially with Pirmarina's current item. Speaking of Primarina
2. Change surf to scald. Despite have a little less power, it chance of burn, can allow you to deal with physical sweepers, especially since primarina's def is sub-par.
3. Get rid of Gastrodon entirely. Two water types, especially two special ones isn't worth it in my opinion. Not only does it leave you incredibly vulnerable to grass types or other types that use grass moves (which is why you're weak to chandelure), but it also leaves you much more likely to be swept. I mean it, I was in a match with a guy who had 2 fire types and 2 grass types, and I 6-0'd him. here's the replay file:///C:/Users/Austin/Downloads/Gen7UU-2017-06-23-md38-austinxx555.html . Now for a replacement here's my suggestions.

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Dragon Pulse
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower

or

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Counter
- Tailwind
- Roost

Either one of these can do Gastradon's role much better. I'd lean more towards the hydreigon if I were you however, because it can deal with Alolan Muk and forretress, but you can go gliscor if you'd rather do that.
4. Swap Blissey's def and spdef evs, and change nature to Calm. Max def on blissey, really? That's like putting status moves on Deoxys-Attack, it just won't work.
There's my advice to make your team better.

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
Primarina
252 HP ---> 252 Spe
Modest ---> Timid
Energy Ball ---> Sparkling Aria
Surf ---> Hydro Pump

These changes are addressing two mons in particular your team looks to struggle with: Scizor and Buzzwole. Sub-Punch Buzzwole can substitute up on a good portion of your team, and proceed to Focus Punch it into oblivion. Sparkling Aria ensures you can get through their Substitute and OHKO; the loss of Energy Ball isn't really an issue considering with Primarina you're better off spamming your STAB moves anyhow. The EVs are to deal some with your Scizor issue; the standard Choice Band/offensive Swords Dance sets give you a big issue, with Infernape being an easily worn-down check. Here is a calc that proves these changes beneficial:

252 SpA Choice Specs Primarina Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Scizor: 315-372 (112 - 132.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Scizor
Scizor can also function as a counter to every other Scizor set in existence with this totally legitimate set:

Scizor @ Occa Berry
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Natural Gift

This set OHKOs most Scizor variants 100% of the time, with it killing defensive Scizor a good amount of the time as well. Occa Berry also lets you beat HP Fire Latias much more safely, as HP Fire will never OHKO you with Occa Berry.

Blissey
Heal Bell ---> Protect/Toxic
Softboiled ---> Protect/Toxic

You really don't need Heal Bell on your team seeing as how you have two mons with Natural Cure, one of those mons being able to absorb sleep entirely. And personal preference: I prefer Wish + Protect over Wish + Softboiled since it's safer, but that's up to you. If you keep Softboiled, then drop Heal Bell for Toxic.

I also think switching Blissey for SpDef Empoleon would work alright too, since Empoleon can provide you Defog + Stealth Rock support. Scarf Hydreigon works well here too since it checks Chandelure hard (though you'd want to change Infernape were you to use Scarf Hydreigon).

Celebi:
Celebi @ Groundium Z
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Psychic
- Giga Drain
- Earth Power

Not a fan of your Celebi set in all honesty, as it feels like it wants to do too much in one set. Your team lacks a dedicated win-con (Scarfape is fine I suppose, but it's really risky); this Celebi set gives you a great win-con. Groundium Z is a off-meta, but at +2 secures an OHKO on AV A-Muk, a mon your team seems to struggle with.

I do believe switching Gastrodon for a different defensive mon would do you well, and I'm leaning towards standard Sub-Punch Buzzwole since it checks most of the tier without any actual defensive investment except the standard HP EVs for 101 subs.

On a side note:
Hey Blumetwitz, I decided to look over your team here, and after going over it here's what I've got.
Your team, while not too shabby, has incredible struggle against Chandelure, Alolan Muk, and Forretress. You only have at least one pokemon on your team that can counter each of the three. Also some of your choices are very questionable such as a defensive Blissey and defog on a choiced pokemon. That being said it's a good team overall. The scarf Infernape is incredibly scary, and Celbi is a good choice for a special sweeper. Here's what I'd do to improve your team.
1. Swap Primarina's Choice specs for an Assault vest. This should allow you to handle chandelure a little better, especially if it's a specs one. it can also allow you to stay in against pokemon that would normally give it trouble, especially with Pirmarina's current item. Speaking of Primarina
2. Change surf to scald. Despite have a little less power, it chance of burn, can allow you to deal with physical sweepers, especially since primarina's def is sub-par.
3. Get rid of Gastrodon entirely. Two water types, especially two special ones isn't worth it in my opinion. Not only does it leave you incredibly vulnerable to grass types or other types that use grass moves (which is why you're weak to chandelure), but it also leaves you much more likely to be swept. I mean it, I was in a match with a guy who had 2 fire types and 2 grass types, and I 6-0'd him. here's the replay file:///C:/Users/Austin/Downloads/Gen7UU-2017-06-23-md38-austinxx555.html . Now for a replacement here's my suggestions.

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Dragon Pulse
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower

or

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Counter
- Tailwind
- Roost

Either one of these can do Gastradon's role much better. I'd lean more towards the hydreigon if I were you however, because it can deal with Alolan Muk and forretress, but you can go gliscor if you'd rather do that.
4. Swap Blissey's def and spdef evs, and change nature to Calm. Max def on blissey, really? That's like putting status moves on Deoxys-Attack, it just won't work.
There's my advice to make your team better.
Those two sets are really not good; Hydreigon makes no use of Earth Power, and Scarf Hydreigon is the best set beyond a shadow of a doubt currently. And I refuse to comment on that Gliscor set.

The EVs the OP used are standard EVS; running full SpDef on Blissey leaves you being chipped down much faster by the U-Turns of Hydreigon, Mega-Pidgeot, and any other pivoting U-Turner.

Thanks for the feedback, both of you! Though I'm seeing a bit of disagreement on how I should change up my team, so I'll play around with both of your suggested changes and see what works best for me.

EDIT: Sorry I took so long to get back to this. The sets I eventually settled on can be seen in the OP.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)