Balanced Hackmons Species Clause Vote

Should Species Clause be added to Balanced Hackmons?

• Yes

Votes: 44 45.8%
  • No

Votes: 52 54.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
No there really aren't that many other cores that are currently notable in the meta, but there could be at some point.
In that case, I'm really confused about the arguements that species clause would reduce diversity as much as a number of people are implying. I mean, you lose the double Evolite Chansey Imposter gimmick or the Fur Coat + Imposter Chansey cores, but, it's not like those are huge losses. There's several other viable Imposter candidates, like Blissey, and Fur Coat Chansey isn't even that great, IMO, since it's significantly more vulnerable after Knock Off and it's not even the most durable user on the physical side with it. I mean, it has great special bulk and is weak to an uncommon offensive typing, but... you want Fur Coat to stop physical attackers, right? And even then there's plenty that take less damage with little to no investment nor Eviolite and could just dump EVs into special bulk if surviving special attacks are needed.

252+ Atk Primal Groudon Precipice Blades vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Chansey: 272-321 (38.6 - 45.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Primal Groudon Precipice Blades vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Fur Coat Chansey: 182-215 (25.8 - 30.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

252+ Atk Primal Groudon Precipice Blades vs. 0 HP / 0+ Def Fur Coat Giratina: 107-126 (24.2 - 28.5%) -- 98.8% chance to 4HKO

252+ Atk Primal Groudon Precipice Blades vs. 0 HP / 0+ Def Fur Coat Cresselia: 107-126 (28 - 33%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

252+ Atk Primal Groudon Precipice Blades vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Registeel: 148-175 (40.6 - 48%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Primal Groudon Precipice Blades vs. 0 HP / 0+ Def Fur Coat Primal Kyogre: 137-162 (40.1 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Seriously, Registeel takes only slightly more damage than non-Eviolite Chansey, and it's getting hit super-effectively here. I really don't see what's being so irreplaceably lost here if the ability to run Fur Coat and Imposter Chansey together are removed. But, based on the votes and how these suspects work, nobody really needs to bother to argue against me here if they want Species Clause to not go through at this point.

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
In that case, I'm really confused about the arguements that species clause would reduce diversity as much as a number of people are implying. I mean, you lose the double Evolite Chansey Imposter gimmick or the Fur Coat + Imposter Chansey cores, but, it's not like those are huge losses. There's several other viable Imposter candidates, like Blissey, and Fur Coat Chansey isn't even that great, IMO, since it's significantly more vulnerable after Knock Off and it's not even the most durable user on the physical side with it. I mean, it has great special bulk and is weak to an uncommon offensive typing, but... you want Fur Coat to stop physical attackers, right? And even then there's plenty that take less damage with little to no investment nor Eviolite and could just dump EVs into special bulk if surviving special attacks are needed.

252+ Atk Primal Groudon Precipice Blades vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Chansey: 272-321 (38.6 - 45.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Primal Groudon Precipice Blades vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Fur Coat Chansey: 182-215 (25.8 - 30.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

252+ Atk Primal Groudon Precipice Blades vs. 0 HP / 0+ Def Fur Coat Giratina: 107-126 (24.2 - 28.5%) -- 98.8% chance to 4HKO

252+ Atk Primal Groudon Precipice Blades vs. 0 HP / 0+ Def Fur Coat Cresselia: 107-126 (28 - 33%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

252+ Atk Primal Groudon Precipice Blades vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Registeel: 148-175 (40.6 - 48%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Primal Groudon Precipice Blades vs. 0 HP / 0+ Def Fur Coat Primal Kyogre: 137-162 (40.1 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Seriously, Registeel takes only slightly more damage than non-Eviolite Chansey, and it's getting hit super-effectively here. I really don't see what's being so irreplaceably lost here if the ability to run Fur Coat and Imposter Chansey together are removed. But, based on the votes and how these suspects work, nobody really needs to bother to argue against me here if they want Species Clause to not go through at this point.
a few things, fur coat chanseys niche, is being able to take on ates...and being the BEST user to do so, since theres no ate user i know off that likes to use knock off over coverage,it also lets your ate use thousand arrows/earth power to get past pokemon like registeel and soundproof slowbro. this niche can not even be done as easily as chansey could let it, as even bliss has troubles managing rays power. its not meant to be fighting groudon, as v-create roasts it either way.

as for cores affected, theres no main ones...but that doesn't actually matter. there ARE cores that are going to be affected...offensive and defensive. i mean, the double groudon core i posted would be dead. double giratina, double chansey, double mewtwos (im guessing x and y will count as the same entity since they kind of ARE...and theres no reason to keep them apart. as the "they serve different roles" could easily be thrown to something like double groudon, or double ray) regardless they both cant use 2 of either, which some people DO use that. species clause would solve the problem of spamming kyogre and groudon....but why not just remove kyogre and groudon like we are about to do? as they are the only relivant two whom are unhealthaly spammable (and dual imposter somewhat, but seriously...do we really need a widespread clause specificly for nerfing it?)

lets twist that question you said around: what does (barring dual imposter, kyogrespam, and groudonspam) species clause do to help the metagame? and dont say "it diversitizes the meta" as it clearly does not as i pointed out.

... I'd just like to point out that the anti-species clause people are assuming that Species Clause would mean limit of 1, when that's not stated in the OP, in the poll, or anywhere "official" in the thread. If you're worried about double-cores, a Species Clause of limit=2 has no effect on those while still blocking 6 Primal Groudon teams from being a thing, and is potentially in the cards.

"limit=1 hurts the metagame so a Species Clause of any kind hurts the metagame" is a bad argument. Please use better ones.

[quote="limit=1 hurts the metagame so a Species Clause of any kind hurts the metagame" is a bad argument. Please use better ones.[/quote]
literally no one made that arguement.

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
... I'd just like to point out that the anti-species clause people are assuming that Species Clause would mean limit of 1, when that's not stated in the OP, in the poll, or anywhere "official" in the thread. If you're worried about double-cores, a Species Clause of limit=2 has no effect on those while still blocking 6 Primal Groudon teams from being a thing, and is potentially in the cards.

"limit=1 hurts the metagame so a Species Clause of any kind hurts the metagame" is a bad argument. Please use better ones.
lets not forget "species clause" is already a thing, and not some new thing we made up for BH. its more safe-no, its mandatory- to assume "Species clause" being the exact same to other versions, then guessing it wont be, enless otherwise mentioned by TI/Verbatim. i don't think there is ANYONE here who said "species clause of any kind is bad".

however, i do agree a 2 poke species clause is the best choice of action if anything.

While I think that a 2 species clause is better, I still don't think that multiples of the big 5 are a big problem. if there are 3 of the same pokemon the team is already probably gimmicky and won't fair too well.

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
Just curious, how many of those who voted no would change to yes with 2 species limit.

(you can like this post to show)
I wouldn't, as even still the big 5, more specifically the hoenn trio, are still too strong. Let me demonstrate with my rain and sun teams.

The first thing I built the rain team around was Gale Wings Mega-Rayquaza, to show that it doesn't need Aerilate to be good. Next I added a Drizzle user because rain team (plus I can abuse Dumbicane which at least 2HKOs almost everything that doesn't resist; those things I can just trick Specs to and cripple). Now, I needed something for Primal Kyogre, because rain team. No worries, I can just run Primal Groudon with Dry Skin to get around that, and can run Bolt Strike to deal with it. Next up, Mega-Ray, how about I run Ice Shard too to get around that on said mon. Just like that I've only limited the counters to this set to other Primal Groudon. Now I need something to deal with that, or else I get swept. As a result I choose Fur Coat Giratina due to its ability to take most of them on. For my Prankster, I choose POgre as rain boosted scalds hit hard even when uninvested, as well as possessing decent special bulk. Just like that, the entire hoenn trio is on my team.
As for my sun team, I obviously needed something to abuse the sun, so I thought "why not Groudon-Primal?" So I decided to run a physical Chlorophyll set to outspeed and KO other Groudon-Primal [This even takes advantage of the Desolate Land that they can set]. Then I realized that Slowbro is the embodiment of all evil to this, so I decided to run a Special Chlorophyll set designed to take it out. The physical Chlorophyll set I felt that I would have a hard time dealing with, so I decided to slap Primordial Sea Mega Rayquaza (yes, that's right) on my team to deal with it. The special Primal Groudon I can easily run Ice Beam for other Mega Rayquazas and Giratinas, and Boomburst to bypass Substitute and hit Slowbro-Mega harder (outside of Soundproof; even so Eruption deals dumb damage with sun + specs) Now I just have to run Flash Fire Aegislash to deal with it, which opens up Magma Storm as an option for Shed! Just like that, I have 2 of the hoenn trio on my team, specifically designed to take certain things that would otherwise cause them trouble out, with teammates that made sure they'd be walled easily in case of Imposter.

You can literally slap the Hoenn trio on any team and it will somehow work as long as you can deal with it yourself. In the aforementioned examples, Dry Skin Groudon-Primal, a set with absolutely no STAB whatsoever, was the MVP of my rain team thus far due to its ability to lure in and KO its "counters" (except for that one time when my opponent got greedy with Contrary and based Ogre saved me), and on my sun team, the dual Pdon core pretty much decimated whatever the opponent decided to switch in, and even the gimmicky Primordial Sea M-Ray with Icicle Plate Judgment put in work. None of these teams have Imposter or Sturdy Shedinja, for reference.

I can probably go on at how the Hoenn Trio can save games without the need of other metagame threats such as Imposter but eh. The Mega-Mewtwos are slightly more powerful than the trio in terms of an offensive stat and speed but in my experience their sets are well-defined outside of what coverage they choose to run, meaning it's easier to prepare for them; heck I don't even consider them when teambuilding and just prepare for the trio and dealing with them casually falls into place. For those of you who say it's all the same with the Hoenn trio just look above and you'll notice that these can run a plethora of unsual sets and still be good. Heck, Uselesscrab ran Blizzard which is pretty much a bad move on his Pdon and it worked, as well as motherlove (iirc) running a Physical set on Ogre to deal with others which also worked quite well.

tl;dr words, rain and sun team in BH were actually decent thanks to the trio, more words

We're losing the possibility of any double core ever existing
You can't run or vote on a suspect thread for what might happen in the future. Suspects are for what's happening in the metagame now, not whatever theorymons may or may not exist in the future. If future possibilities can determine whether bans go through or not, then all bans can be rejected on the ground of "this might hurt something that could exist in the future" or "there might be something in the future that checks/counters this well enough to make a ban unnecessary".

Plus it's not like bans are forever. See Huge Power at the start of this gen, even though it was rebanned.

Also, the double species clause thing mentioned, which, while not my preferred option since it's weird compared to all others, it's better than nothing, IMO.

as for cores affected, theres no main ones...but that doesn't actually matter. there ARE cores that are going to be affected...offensive and defensive. i mean, the double groudon core i posted would be dead. double giratina, double chansey, double mewtwos (im guessing x and y will count as the same entity since they kind of ARE...and theres no reason to keep them apart. as the "they serve different roles" could easily be thrown to something like double groudon, or double ray) regardless they both cant use 2 of either, which some people DO use that. species clause would solve the problem of spamming kyogre and groudon....but why not just remove kyogre and groudon like we are about to do? as they are the only relivant two whom are unhealthaly spammable (and dual imposter somewhat, but seriously...do we really need a widespread clause specificly for nerfing it?)
It wouldn't be the first time things would be hurt by a ban. Ability clause killed a triple Regen-core I was working on a team that made most forms of stall just cry because their damage was too low to do anything to it. -Ate clause invalidates the Trick Room team I posted a replay of back over in the "creative BH sets" thread, not to mention nuked the Refrige Kyu-B/Kyu-W core. Would you want those clauses undone just to get those cores back?

That aside, the cores aren't dead, you just have to find different Pokemon, which is what you have to do in every other meta that's not Anything Goes, Classic Hackmons, or Custom Games, all of which are "no rules" metas. (And well, also No Species Clause OU if that's a thing. But if it is, it's clearly dead and unpopular.) I mean, take Arcanine, for example. In UU, if there was no species clause, I could easily run two or three different sets with different roles. Or take Mew for example. You could build a team of six of them and still have a dozen or so viable sets left over. But you can't, so you have to get a little more clever and determine which Pokemon would fill those roles the most effectively rather than just throwing the same mon with a different set there.

Also, my stance on this is about the current metagame, since, while the Hoenn trio, or at least some of them, are likely about to get the boot, that's not a 100% probability. The suspect was posted before that, so I have to vote and argue as if they aren't banned because, well... they're not right now. But, I doubt my position would change because if the whole big five were removed, they'd probably just get replaced with Mega-Diancie spam or Mega-Latios spam or whatever comes along as the next super-versatile offensive and defensive threat. (But if that didn't happen and people stopped spamming the same mon, then, well, my position probably would change.)

lets twist that question you said around: what does (barring dual imposter, kyogrespam, and groudonspam) species clause do to help the metagame? and dont say "it diversitizes the meta" as it clearly does not as i pointed out.
Well, to be blunt, it does. Let's say you're building a team and need a Mold Breaker sweeper. You look through your options and decide that Mega-Gengar is the best fit for your team at this point (because let's bring up a different example that's not at risk and not a problem mon). You decide then that you need something to harass and heckle your opponents team. You decide that a disruptive Normalize + Entrainment Ghost would be ideal. Without species clause, you'd probably just do a second Mega-Gengar. Channeling your inner Kit Kasai, you decide you want an Illusion user. There's a good chance you'll probably just go with Gengar again. So, now you have three Gengars on your team. Sure, they have different roles, but that's not very diverse, now is it?

Without species clause, you might get to the first Gengar and be okay, but then you run into the second set and you have to stop and think. "Do I value Gengar more as a Mold Breaker or for Normalize + Entrainment disruption". And whichever role you put it in, then you have to think which Pokemon might fit the other role rather well. In this case, you might decide that Giratina-O, a Pokemon that's normally overlooked, might make for a good Mold Breaker sweeper since it has a number of qualities Gengar does, but you want Gengar's speed for the disruption more since, while Giratina is bulky, it's not very fast. Then when you get to the third, Illusion member, you have to stop and think again if you value Gengar where it is now or if you'd rather it be an Illusion user. You might channel your inner Kit Kasai even more and pick Chandelure instead, and then change your -ate to Kyurem or Rayquaza for even more sneaky Illusion fun, rather than just throw another Gengar in there and call it a day.

In the end, you have three Pokemon all with different roles, but in one case you're just spamming the same mon while in the other you have three different mons and need to account for their unique strengths and weaknesses rather than just plop down one "Gengar-counter-counter" and call it a day. Your team is more diverse because you have different Pokemon (although the number of Ghosts on this theoretical team is alarming in my opinion, but just bear with me since I'm thinking this up as I type) and the decision making in building your team is far more involved and interesting.

And you cannot tell me that the results of species clause there is a bad thing because you have to make those types of species-related decisions in every single metagame, Smogon or VGC, besides this one, CH, AG, CG, and if it even exists, that NSCOU thing. If it was a bad thing, then species clause would not be so prevalent in 90+% of all competitive Pokemon metagames. And while BH is a bit different due to its lax limits, it still has some metagames very similar where you'd be making the types of decisions I just brought up (AAA and Stabmons are probably the closest.)

Oh, and since we're twisting questions around, lemme ask you this. Pretend species clause was in BH and you thought it should go. What arguments would you make to remove it? Or another theoretical along those lines, what arguments would you use to bring it up to remove it from another metagame, official or unofficial. I mean, your points are valid since, as I mentioned above, I could run a dozen Mews that all have different roles. But surely those have been brought up before, right?

...of course, I realize this is all probably pointless and I'm most likely wasting my time because I doubt Yes will get 10+ more votes without No getting any before the end and I imagine a lot of No votes are there to help get the Hoenn trio banned in the next suspect rather than having species clause used against such a ban. But, I guess I just like making long-winded replies about my opinion. That or I feel more strongly on this than I'm willing to admit even to myself.

a few things, fur coat chanseys niche, is being able to take on ates...and being the BEST user to do so, since theres no ate user i know off that likes to use knock off over coverage,it also lets your ate use thousand arrows/earth power to get past pokemon like registeel and soundproof slowbro. this niche can not even be done as easily as chansey could let it, as even bliss has troubles managing rays power. its not meant to be fighting groudon, as v-create roasts it either way.
I'm not arguing Fur Coat Chansey's viability any further in this thread since it's off topic and I don't want either of us to get modsmacked. I'll also resist the urge to drop more of my opinion on the matter in this post because that's not fair for me to do so. But if you or anyone else wants to keep talking about that, I'll be happy to explain my position in more detail and respond to this in the regular BH topic.

You can't run or vote on a suspect thread for what might happen in the future. Suspects are for what's happening in the metagame now, not whatever theorymons may or may not exist in the future. If future possibilities can determine whether bans go through or not, then all bans can be rejected on the ground of "this might hurt something that could exist in the future" or "there might be something in the future that checks/counters this well enough to make a ban unnecessary".

Plus it's not like bans are forever. See Huge Power at the start of this gen, even though it was rebanned.

Also, the double species clause thing mentioned, which, while not my preferred option since it's weird compared to all others, it's better than nothing, IMO.
In the current meta it solves 0 problems while limiting teambuilding massively.

In the current meta it solves 0 problems while limiting teambuilding massively.
Same-mon spam, whether it be a dozen Hoenn Trios, Mewtwos, Diancies, or whatever, isn't a problem? And it's really not massive team building limitation since, even with the Hoenn trio, since the pool of viable Pokemon isn't that tiny (and if the big 5 do get banned, then there'll just be even more viable Pokemon). I mean, you of all people should know that since you're one of the few people brave enough to bring stuff like Cacturn to the OMPL and successfully have it put in work.

I mostly want to eliminate the same-mon spam bull, which that double clause would also satisfy. Standardization and increasing diversity are also goals, but those are secondary.

Same-mon spam, whether it be a dozen Hoenn Trios, Mewtwos, Diancies, or whatever, isn't a problem? And it's really not massive team building limitation since, even with the Hoenn trio, since the pool of viable Pokemon isn't that tiny (and if the big 5 do get banned, then there'll just be even more viable Pokemon). I mean, you of all people should know that since you're one of the few people brave enough to bring stuff like Cacturn to the OMPL and successfully have it put in work.

I mostly want to eliminate the same-mon spam bull, which that double clause would also satisfy. Standardization and increasing diversity are also goals, but those are secondary.
No same-mon spam is not a problem.

Well, let's just agree to disagree then, since I don't feel like arguing in circles. Especially with my tendency to write really friggin' long posts without meaning to.
Sounds good, I didn't feel like arguing at all in the first place if you hadn't noticed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)