Other Metagames Balanced Hackmons Builds and Ideas

Hello All,

I would like to present some of my favorite Balanced Hackmons teams, and ask for criticism of one specific team. Along the way I would like to discuss some of the most central concepts that I feel are present in the Balanced Hackmons metagame.

BH is an incredible metagame due to the equally viable options of Stall, Balanced, and Offensive playstyles and team builds. I think my team builds lean more towards the latter two of these three categories, however I have taken great inspiration from some of the stall builds that I have faced on the BH ladder.

My experience in the BH metagame is not incredibly deep, but I have spent quite a few hours toying around with team builds and messing around on the ladder. I have a few accounts and I think my highest BH account is somewhere around 1400-1500 Elo. I hope that anyone reading this will feel inclined to reply with their experiences in BH, because it is a truly diverse metagame in which it is impossible to account for specific threats – there are simply too many combinations of ability, moveset, and pokemon that are viable in the metagame for teambuilding to prepare for anything but general principles.

The first team I would like to discuss is a Psychic-type centered balance team.

Psychic Spam Balance: The BH Learning Cuve

Alakazam-Mega @ Life Orb
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psystrike
- Moongeist Beam
- Secret Sword
- Ice Beam

Mewtwo-Mega-Y @ Terrain Extender
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psystrike
- Taunt
- Moongeist Beam
- Ice Beam

Deoxys-Defense @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Calm Nature
- Spectral Thief
- Baton Pass
- Recover
- Psystrike

Rayquaza-Mega @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Aerilate
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Sleep Talk
- Moongeist Beam
- Secret Sword

Registeel @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Careful Nature
- Nature's Madness
- U-turn
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shore Up

Zygarde-Complete @ Safety Goggles
Impish Nature
- Sunsteel Strike
- Thousand Arrows
- Heal Bell
- Recover
The basic principle of this team build, and variations I have that are similar to it, is to use Psychic Surge (presented here on Mewtwo Mega-Y) to prevent any priority; this is an immensely powerful tool in the BH meta littered with Prankster users, as well as pokemon with Triage or traditional priority moves. Basically, this kind of build will demolish low-ladder with Alakazam alone, however safety measures in the two defensive pivots (Unaware Deoxys-D and Regen Registeel) as well as Unaware Zygarde to take on stat-boosting Primal Groudons and many other threats. Defensive synergy is not perfect, however it is nearly impossible to account for all threats anyways, so I have used a defensive core that is imperfect but at least familiar to me. Really, this team is meant to showcase how much of a threat Psychic Surge abusers can be in BH.

After I first started toying around with Psychic Surge in BH, I realized that the biggest issue I faced was insufficient measures against stat boosting pokemon. Obviously the above team does have two Unaware users (one with Spectral Thief, the most spammable move in BH), but I really started too see success when I began using defensive Unaware Xerneas on some of my teams. The below team illustrates what I have learned from spamming Xerneas on the ladder.
Sticky Web Offense: featuring Xerneas the MVP

Rayquaza-Mega @ Choice Specs
Ability: Aerilate
Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Sleep Talk

Gengar-Mega @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Sticky Web
- Moongeist Beam

Xerneas @ Safety Goggles
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Blue Flare
- Quiver Dance
- Shore Up

Impish Nature
- Spectral Thief
- Swords Dance
- Shore Up
- Thousand Arrows

Metagross-Mega @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Sunsteel Strike
- Rapid Spin
- Icicle Crash

Ho-Oh @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Recover
This team really illustrates the brutality of Aerilate Rayquaza, especially when paired with a near-guaranteed sticky web in most matchups. Ho-Oh is meant to pressure most steel types that threaten Xerneas, and soak up hits from Rayquaza and Metagross. Gengar is probably not the most effective Sticky Web user, but this effective set could be applied to many fast or bulky pokemon depending on one's preferences. Gengar's respectable offensive pressure in Moongeist Beam alone is useful to this particular build, which aims to be more offensive in nature. Zygarde's set is really not the best, but still largely effective in a variety of matchups, with stellar bulk to act as an emergency brake to a variety of sweepers. I think that Steel types are incredibly effective in the BH metagame; this Metagross set illustrates the concept of a bulky steel that I have more frequently seen on the likes of Solgaleo, but is at least comparably effective on the faster Metagross.

I think it is worth mentioning that sometimes simply using a variety of offensive pokemon, with one or two reliable supportive teammates, is effective enough to advance on the BH ladder. The below team illustrates the concept of a team focused around preparing a sweep in Tinted Lens Arceus with Z-Geomancy. I think this team illustrates the viability of an
Aim-to-Sweep team, which could use a variety of setup mons in place of Arceus.

Set'm Up: Z-Geomancy + Gengar Trapping

Arceus @ Fairium Z
Ability: Tinted Lens
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Boomburst
- Stored Power
- Moongeist Beam

Mewtwo-Mega-Y @ Terrain Extender
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Psystrike
- Moongeist Beam
- Spikes

Deoxys-Speed @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Sticky Web
- Taunt
- Psycho Boost

Regigigas @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Jolly Nature
- Shift Gear
- Facade
- Shadow Claw
- Drain Punch

Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Download
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Secret Sword
- Ice Beam
- Moongeist Beam

Registeel @ Safety Goggles
Careful Nature
- Defog
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
This team demonstrates the effectiveness of Sticky Web + Hazard Stacking in combination with a setup mon (Arceus in this case) and Shadow Tag Mega Gengar to forcibly grab momentum and demolish your opponent's defensive resources. There are two taunt users, something which seeks to prepare the bulky + effective setup of Arceus, especially under psychic terrain where stored power gets a boost. Regigigas should look somewhat familiar to those who frequent the BH ladder, as it takes large inspiration from 6th gen's BH metagame. Notice the usage of Registeel once again as a defensive pivot in role compression with status spamming and item removal.

Finally, I would like to ask for your advice on one of my latest builds, which is nothing
extraordinarily unique, but largely inspired by the principles I have discussed above:

Dual Deoxys-S Support: A New Test Team

Xerneas @ Safety Goggles
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Spectral Thief
- Moonblast
- Quiver Dance

Groudon-Primal @ Choice Band
Ability: Desolate Land
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Sacred Fire
- Icicle Crash
- Sunsteel Strike

Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Simple
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Moongeist Beam
- Secret Sword
- Ice Beam

Ability: Magic Bounce
Impish Nature
- Core Enforcer
- Toxic
- Shore Up
- Thousand Arrows

Deoxys-Speed @ Safety Goggles
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Healing Wish
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- U-turn

Deoxys-Speed @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 SpA
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Memento
- Sticky Web
I am convinced that Deoxys-S is an incredible support pokemon; here I use Webs + Dual Screens to make Primal Groudon immensely threatening, and still have Xerneas + Zygarde to check a significant chunk of many potential threats. Gengar doesn't sweep every game, but in my testing it has been reliable in forcing the opponent onto their back foot, with most reliable answers to this set feeling incredibly pressured to Banded Primal Groudon. If I'm being honest, this team's composition was largely inspired by the Ubers metagame (aka the Xerneas-Groudon show).

One last note: Imposter Chansey is Cancer, and should be banned from BH. I can play around it, but I think it is far too used on the ladder, thus why it is none of these builds. Unaware Xerneas almost always single-handedly beats teams that rely on Imposter Chansey as a "check" due to PP advantage.

Thanks for reading; please leave your thoughts & criticism!

(A couple of low-ladder testing replays & funstuffs):
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-586809087
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-586810429
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-586811787

Last edited:
One thing is you should probably always be using Cresselia over Deoxys Defense. Cresselia is just straight-up bulkier:

4 Atk Life Orb Abomasnow Ice Shard vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Deoxys-Defense: 29-35 (9.5 - 11.5%) -- possible 9HKO

4 Atk Life Orb Abomasnow Ice Shard vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 32-40 (7.2 - 9%) -- possibly the worst move ever

You need to imposter-proof your pokemon, friendo.

Simple stuff like running Judgement + Spooky Plate on M-Alakazam/Spore on Safety Goggles pokemon will save you a lot of trouble with Chansey

morogrim

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Hello All,

I would like to present some of my favorite Balanced Hackmons teams, and ask for criticism of one specific team. Along the way I would like to discuss some of the most central concepts that I feel are present in the Balanced Hackmons metagame.

BH is an incredible metagame due to the equally viable options of Stall, Balanced, and Offensive playstyles and team builds. I think my team builds lean more towards the latter two of these three categories, however I have taken great inspiration from some of the stall builds that I have faced on the BH ladder.

My experience in the BH metagame is not incredibly deep, but I have spent quite a few hours toying around with team builds and messing around on the ladder. I have a few accounts and I think my highest BH account is somewhere around 1400-1500 Elo. I hope that anyone reading this will feel inclined to reply with their experiences in BH, because it is a truly diverse metagame in which it is impossible to account for specific threats – there are simply too many combinations of ability, moveset, and pokemon that are viable in the metagame for teambuilding to prepare for anything but general principles.

The first team I would like to discuss is a Psychic-type centered balance team.

Psychic Spam Balance: The BH Learning Cuve

The basic principle of this team build, and variations I have that are similar to it, is to use Psychic Surge (presented here on Mewtwo Mega-Y) to prevent any priority; this is an immensely powerful tool in the BH meta littered with Prankster users, as well as pokemon with Triage or traditional priority moves. Basically, this kind of build will demolish low-ladder with Alakazam alone, however safety measures in the two defensive pivots (Unaware Deoxys-D and Regen Registeel) as well as Unaware Zygarde to take on stat-boosting Primal Groudons and many other threats. Defensive synergy is not perfect, however it is nearly impossible to account for all threats anyways, so I have used a defensive core that is imperfect but at least familiar to me. Really, this team is meant to showcase how much of a threat Psychic Surge abusers can be in BH.

After I first started toying around with Psychic Surge in BH, I realized that the biggest issue I faced was insufficient measures against stat boosting pokemon. Obviously the above team does have two Unaware users (one with Spectral Thief, the most spammable move in BH), but I really started too see success when I began using defensive Unaware Xerneas on some of my teams. The below team illustrates what I have learned from spamming Xerneas on the ladder.
Sticky Web Offense: featuring Xerneas the MVP

This team really illustrates the brutality of Aerilate Rayquaza, especially when paired with a near-guaranteed sticky web in most matchups. Ho-Oh is meant to pressure most steel types that threaten Xerneas, and soak up hits from Rayquaza and Metagross. Gengar is probably not the most effective Sticky Web user, but this effective set could be applied to many fast or bulky pokemon depending on one's preferences. Gengar's respectable offensive pressure in Moongeist Beam alone is useful to this particular build, which aims to be more offensive in nature. Zygarde's set is really not the best, but still largely effective in a variety of matchups, with stellar bulk to act as an emergency brake to a variety of sweepers. I think that Steel types are incredibly effective in the BH metagame; this Metagross set illustrates the concept of a bulky steel that I have more frequently seen on the likes of Solgaleo, but is at least comparably effective on the faster Metagross.

I think it is worth mentioning that sometimes simply using a variety of offensive pokemon, with one or two reliable supportive teammates, is effective enough to advance on the BH ladder. The below team illustrates the concept of a team focused around preparing a sweep in Tinted Lens Arceus with Z-Geomancy. I think this team illustrates the viability of an
Aim-to-Sweep team, which could use a variety of setup mons in place of Arceus.

Set'm Up: Z-Geomancy + Gengar Trapping

This team demonstrates the effectiveness of Sticky Web + Hazard Stacking in combination with a setup mon (Arceus in this case) and Shadow Tag Mega Gengar to forcibly grab momentum and demolish your opponent's defensive resources. There are two taunt users, something which seeks to prepare the bulky + effective setup of Arceus, especially under psychic terrain where stored power gets a boost. Regigigas should look somewhat familiar to those who frequent the BH ladder, as it takes large inspiration from 6th gen's BH metagame. Notice the usage of Registeel once again as a defensive pivot in role compression with status spamming and item removal.

Finally, I would like to ask for your advice on one of my latest builds, which is nothing
extraordinarily unique, but largely inspired by the principles I have discussed above:

Dual Deoxys-S Support: A New Test Team

I am convinced that Deoxys-S is an incredible support pokemon; here I use Webs + Dual Screens to make Primal Groudon immensely threatening, and still have Xerneas + Zygarde to check a significant chunk of many potential threats. Gengar doesn't sweep every game, but in my testing it has been reliable in forcing the opponent onto their back foot, with most reliable answers to this set feeling incredibly pressured to Banded Primal Groudon. If I'm being honest, this team's composition was largely inspired by the Ubers metagame (aka the Xerneas-Groudon show).

One last note: Imposter Chansey is Cancer, and should be banned from BH. I can play around it, but I think it is far too used on the ladder, thus why it is none of these builds. Unaware Xerneas almost always single-handedly beats teams that rely on Imposter Chansey as a "check" due to PP advantage.

Thanks for reading; please leave your thoughts & criticism!

(A couple of low-ladder testing replays & funstuffs):
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-586809087
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-586810429
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-586811787
Hi, it's always nice to see newcomers that are this interested in the BH meta. I will be giving you my advice and thoughts about the general meta and also more specifically the last team which you requested.

While BH is a meta where the limitations are far less than other metas, I still wouldn't say that the 3 team builds are equally effective. In fact, HO and Stall are actually weak compared to Balance atm. More specifically, there is a specific balance build that is typically run on bh which is referred to as "Pivot Balance." It is essentially a balance team with walls that have slow pivoting moves (for example a min Speed Giratina with U-turn).

Additionally, while there is a lot of room for creativity in BH and you see the meta changing every once in a while, when you reach the higher ladder you will see that there are always a few "staple" threats that every team is prepared for. These threats are the ones that usually outshine other options either in terms of viability, power, or both. I'll list a few of the top threats of the tier which players need to be prepared for when they build teams currently. Afterwards, I will give you my opinion of the RMT team based on the things I mentioned beforehand:

1. Imposter

Imposter Chansey has been around for a very long time, and provides BH with a unique characteristic that other metas do not really have: Unlike other metas, in BH you always need to pay attention to your offensive (and sometimes even defensive) mons and you need to build in a way that opposing Imposters cannot use your own mon against you for a countersweep. This process is known as Imposter-proofing, or Improofing for short. You can Improof in 2 ways: either the mon itself is Improof (an example of this would be the famous Spooky Plate Gengar) or it becomes Improof with the help of a teammate (an example for this would be the Tinted Lens Dialga + Magnet Pull Xerneas core). Going through your teams, I can see that many of your offensive threats are not Imposter-proof. Some examples would include Mega Alakazam, Mmy, Mega Ray, and Registeel from the first team, Arceus, Regigigas, Mega Gengar, Deo-S, and Registeel from the third team, and finally Pdon, Mega Gengar, and both Deo-S from the fourth team (which is the team you showcased for this RMT). I will not be explaining how to generally Improof mons here since this is an RMT thread, not a place for tutoring. Feel free however to contact me if you would like to learn more about Improofing and the BH meta in general.

2. Primal Groudon (Pdon)

Pdon is an extremely strong and versatile mon, being capable of running a multitude of sets (Tinted Lens, Adaptability, DesoLand, Stakeout, ...) and generally being unpredictable as a result. The typical Pdon however is usually walled by a Fur Coat (FC) physical wall such as Giratina, Mega Slowbro, or Zygarde-C.

3. Power Trip Sweepers

With the introduction of Power Trip, Sunsteel Strike (SSS), and Moongeist Beam (MgB) in gen7, setup sweepers gained access to new tools that enabled them to bypass Unaware walls more easily. With Power Trip being essentially a physical Stored Power that has no immunities and the buff to Dark type mons (becoming immune to Prankster), many players started running things like Dazzling Yveltal with Shell Smash, Power Trip, and Sunsteel Strike. Power Trip takes care of a majority of the walls while Sunsteel Strike defeats Unaware users (especially if they are Fairies) and Shedinja. The most common ways to prepare for these threats are either Prankster Haze or Unaware Mega Gyarados, as it resists Power Trip and Sunsteel Strike and is additionally immune to Stored Power and resists MgB.

4. -Ate

Aerilate, Pixilate, and Refrigerate used to be top threats in gen6. They were however nerfed in gen7 both directly (nerfed from a 1.3 multiplier to 1.2) and indirectly (EV limit removal and introduction of priority blocking tools such as Psychic Surge and Dazzling). Even so, they are still big threats that need to be prepared for. Additionally, we have an additional -ate ability in gen7 (Galvanize) which adds to the team preparation list. In gen6, Steel types such as Registeel resisted all 3 of the -ates and were perfect candidates for walls. Soundproof users such as Mega Slowbro and Groudon were immune to Boomburst and could take Extreme Speeds from the -ate users as well. In gen7, Steel types are still great but they aren't that great in walling Galvanize as it hits them neutrally. Soundproof on the other hand has the general flaw that if the -ate user is carrying Techno Blast, it will no longer be able to wall it at all. As a result, if you want to be completely prepared for -ates currently, you need to do so through at least 2 mons (but make sure to compress roles as much as you can so those 2 mons are also walling other threats as well).

5. Mega Mewtwo Y (Mmy) and Primal Kyogre (Pgre)

Being the two strongest special attackers in the game, it is very hard to be able to wall both of these threats with the same mon as Mmy and Pgre often run very different sets. RegenVest (Regenerator + Assault Vest) Solgaleo is generally a good answer to Psychic Surge Mmy as it resists its STAB Psycho Boosts and Psystrikes by x4 (it is also a good -ate answer), and having a slow Core Enforcer that can take a few unboosted hits from Pgre can generally be fine since Pgre's most common set is PH (Poison Heal). Sheer Force is also something that is run on Mmy, and is usually walled by dedicated Special walls such as FC Chansey.

6. Shedinja

Despite the introduction of SSS and MgB in gen7 which was a huge nerf to Shed, it is still something that must be prepared for as unprepared teams can still end up either getting completely walled or even swept by it. SSS and MgB are the easiest methods of dealing with Shedinja, but hazards, Mold Breaker, Rocky Helmet, and indirect damage (Spiky Shield, burn/poison status, Hail/Sandstorm, Leech Seed, and moves such as Infestation/Whirlpool) are all good methods of dealing with Shed. In addition, some combos such as Core Enforcer + damaging move and Entrainment + damaging move can also defeat Shedinja but are not as reliable since they give Shedinja time to switch out.

Now I will briefly talk about some of the abilities, moves, and mons that you are using since some of them are outright outclassed by other things:

- Soulheart Mega Alakazam: Good Speed, weak power. Generally outclassed by Mmy. The only niche it has is that it outspeeds Mmy. Soulheart is generally outclassed by things such as Contrary.

- Deo-D: Due to its bad typing, it is generally a bad wall in BH as there are many alternatives out there that have much better typing (Registeel, Mega Audino, etc.). For Unaware specifically, Power Trip and MgB hit Deo-D for SE (super effective) damage, which is not good at all. Mega Gyarados, Zygarde-C, and even Mega Audino outclass Deo-D for Unaware users. Hell, even Registeel is a better Unaware user.

- Sleep Talk: Interesting move to use on -ate, but you are usually better off running additional coverage. You almost never want to switch your Ray into things to potentially get Spored in the first place, you want to bring it in safely on a slow pivot. You also want to scout for Spore with your Safety Goggles walls beforehand, so I really don't see the value in Sleep Talk.

- Mold Breaker Mega Gengar for hazards: Generally speaking, if you want a hazard setter that also spinblocks, you would want something that isn't frail like Mega Gengar. Giratina is a good option for this case. Also, if you are already running Mold Breaker, there is no point in running MgB. I would suggest Spooky Plate Judgment instead as it also Improofs your mon.

- Unaware Xerneas: Unaware Mega Audino outclasses this as it is immune to MgB, both are however weak to SSS so they're not the best Unaware users (Zyg-C and Mega Gyarados are better alternatives).

- Gengarite Mega Gengar: Currently, the niche that Gengarite Gengar has is its access to Shadow Tag (STag), which allows it to trap and KO key walls on the opposing team. You should generally not be running an attacking moveset as something like Adaptability Mega Gengar would outclass you in terms of damage, instead you should take advantage of your ability (STag) and try to PerishTrap opposing walls. In a meta where almost all walls have a pivoting move, the most common way to trap walls with STag is to come in after the wall uses a utility move such as Recover or Defog, use Encore, and then Perish Song. Additionally, Protect is outclassed by Spiky Shield and Baneful Bunker as they both do the same things as Protect and have additional benefits. King's Shield does not protect you from status but is also an alternative. The typical moveset of STag Gengar is Encore, Perish Song, a method of recovery (Strength Sap or Shore Up), and a filler move (Spiky Shield for example). Ice Beam can be run on the fourth moveslot so you could trap and revenge kill Mega Rayquaza (Flash Cannon could be run for Mega Diancie, Sludge Wave could be used for Mega Audino).

- Shadow Claw and Drain Punch on PH Regigigas: Spectral Thief completely outclasses Shadow Claw. In addition to higher base power, it also provides the utility of being able to steal boosts from the opponent without risking the boosts being stolen back (since you are Normal type). Drain Punch isn't the best option for Regigigas as it makes it vulnerable to Imposter. My suggestion would be to run Avalanche instead as a counter measure for Core Enforcer. Since Avalanche will always go after Core Enforcer because of its negative priority, Core Enforcer will never suppress your ability. In addition, Avalanche will hit for double damage this way and can usually do significant damage to FC Giratina and Zygarde, which are the usual switchins for PH Regigigas. Another common set is Shift Gear, Facade, Knock Off, and Spore which is more Imposter-proof than the avalanche set and has more utility, but a bit less power.

- Pdon: While Sacred Fire is a very good move to use, the sheer power of V-create is just too good to pass up on. If you were using a more utility-based Pdon, Sacred Fire would make more sense as it could help spread burns. But in your case, you are trying to break walls with your banded Pdon in which case V-create is almost always the better option.

Now, based on everything I have mentioned so far, I will give you my opinion on the showcased team:

Deo-S (Mold Breaker): There is nothing preventing your opponent from Impostering your Deo-S and also getting webs and screens up for themselves, which effectively would end your strategy then and there since now you cannot outspeed things with Pdon anymore as you are also slowed. I would suggest at least running Rapid Spin (preferably on a Ghost type such as Giratina) so you could get rid of the webs on your side. You could also run a trapping move like Spider Web instead of Memento or one of the screens to trap and PP stall the Imposter to death if it chooses to stay in and set webs (note that the trapping move has to be non-damaging since your Deo-S has no recovery moves). This is one of the methods of Improofing where you take advantage of the 5 PP-per-move weakness of the Imposter to trap and PP stall it for a KO (although in your case the Imposter will eventually be forced to use Memento, but usually they end up KOing themselves with Struggle). My suggestion would be Sticky Web, Spider Web, Memento, and Spore/Heart Swap along with Safety Goggles (if you choose Spore). Keep in mind however that if you do trap an Imposter, you shouldn't use Spore on it as that would delay the PP stalling process and would result in you wasting more PP than you should. Instead, simply use Sticky Web repeatedly after you have trapped the Imposter with Spider Web. Heart Swap is for when the Imposter eventually uses Memento so you could Heart Swap the Memento over to the opponent and save your own Memento for later use.

Zygarde-C: I'm personally not a big fan of running bounceable moves on Magic Bounce users since an Imposter switchin can lead to huge backfires. In this case, if Imposter switches in on a Toxic, you have just put one of your main walls on a timer. I am also not a big fan of running Thousand Arrows on walls and prefer utility moves such as Defog, Rapid Spin (refer to the previous paragraph), Knock Off, Spectral Thief, Anchor Shot, U-turn, Wish, Aromatherapy, Metal Burst, Whirlwind, Perish Song etc. So in conclusion I would suggest running Core Enforcer, Recovery, Rapid Spin, and an additional utility move and changing Zygarde to Giratina. I would also run min Speed so Core Enforcer has the highest chance of suppressing the opponent's ability, in addition to providing your team with a slow pivot if U-turn is chosen as the 4th move.

Xerneas: As mentioned before, there are better alternatives to Xerneas for an Unaware user. But since you are running a more offensive team and you need even your Unaware user to be a threat, I would suggest using Primal Kyogre or Arceus instead since neither of these two are weak to SSS. Additionally, running Quiver Dance (QD) and Spectral Thief seems a bit redundant to me (not entirely since Spectral Thief can sometimes steal Def boosts but for a team like yours every single moveslot has very high value and imo it's not worthwhile to run both of these moves). My suggestion to you would be to run Primal Kyogre with QD, Revelation Dance, Recover (or any variant of this move), and a filler move such as Ice Beam or Anchor Shot. Revelation Dance is for Normalize Mega Gengar as it can hit it even if you get Entrained and allows your Kyogre to serve as a Normalize check. Ice Beam allows you to nab an OHKO on Mega Rayquaza and forms a good coverage along with Water, Anchor Shot is an alternative that traps and punishes Imposters and setup sweepers that choose to stay in.

Pdon: Your Pdon is not Improof at all, which means that you could potentially get swept by your own mon. Also keep in mind that even with webs up, the Imposter copies your Pdon's stat changes so they will both have the same Speed. Even if you win the Speed ties, the Imposter easily lives banded Tarrows and can KO you back. Your Zygarde-C is not a switchin either since Pdon is carrying Ice coverage. To fix this problem, I would suggest changing Zygarde-C to Giratina. Additionally, I would change Sacred Fire to V-create. You may also change Icicle Crash to Ice Hammer for higher power and accuracy but at the expense of lowering your Speed.

Mega Gengar:
Once again, your Gengar is not Improof and your Unaware mon cannot stop it because of MgB. Additionally, STag doesn't seem like the best choice here since the ability does not help you in eliminating walls as much as other power-boosting abilities would. In BH, most if not all walls have pivoting moves so STag does not really trap anything unless if you have a way of preventing the walls from using their pivoting move, which your Gengar does not. If you are looking for a power house, I would suggest running Mold Breaker Mega Gengar with Tail Glow, Spooky Plate Judgment, Secret Sword, and Sludge Wave. Tail Glow over Shell Smash for added power and because Sticky Web already gives you the Speed advantage. Spooky Plate makes you Imposter-proof and gives additional power to your Ghost STAB. Secret Sword gives you fantastic coverage while still keeping your set Improof. Sludge Wave is for Fairies and is a secondary STAB move, but makes you vulnerable to Imposters. You do however x4 resist Sludge Wave and your Judgment does KO the Imposter, so it shouldn't be a problem. Mold Breaker gives all of your moves the MgB effect, ignoring abilities such as Unaware and Sturdy. This allows you to break through entire teams after a single Tail Glow if you have Sticky Web up.

Deo-S (Psychic Surge): This set is fine, I would only change Healing Wish to Lunar Dance as it is slightly more optimal since Lunar Dance additionally fully restores the mon's PP. Keep in mind however that this set lacks the offensive presence that your team needs to have, and running something like Specs Mmy with Lunar Dance, Stealth Rock, Psycho Boost, and Volt Switch is probably better. Unfortunately however, that set is not Improof given your team which means that you should stick to Deo-S.

EDIT: I thought of an alternative for your Psychic Surge user that is still Improof: Mind Plate Mmy with the same moveset that I mentioned earlier. Both your Giratina and Mega Gengar are immune to the Imposter's Judgment (since the Imposter does not carry a Plate), and Volt Switch does negligible damage to Giratina and allows Mega Gengar to setup as well. You could replace Mmy with Mega Alakazam here since sometimes outspeeding opposing Mmy to use Lunar Dance might be a priority, but you do also have webs so I do not think that would be an issue.

Important note: One HUGE threat to your team would be Contrary users, which get a Speed boost thanks to webs and can potentially outspeed and sweep your entire team, your only way to play around this is your Unaware user, so play around Contrary carefully.

Here's the importable for your team after applying my suggestions:
Kyogre-Primal @ Safety Goggles
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Revelation Dance
- Ice Beam
- Quiver Dance

Groudon-Primal @ Choice Band
Ability: Desolate Land
Adamant Nature
- V-create
- Thousand Arrows
- Icicle Crash
- Sunsteel Strike

Gengar-Mega @ Spooky Plate
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Judgment
- Secret Sword
- Sludge Wave

Giratina @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Core Enforcer
- Rapid Spin
- Shore Up
- U-turn

Mewtwo-Mega-Y @ Mind Plate
Timid Nature
- Lunar Dance
- Stealth Rock
- Judgment
- Volt Switch

Deoxys-Speed @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Spider Web
- Heart Swap
- Memento
- Sticky Web

GL with your team!

Last edited:
Hey everyone,
Thank you so much for your suggestions/criticism. I know that my teams are a bit weak to Imposter users; I think that building against Imposter-centered teams leaves me weak to some of the Hyper Offense builds that I have seen on the ladder, but I am hoping that further experience & community feedback (as in this thread) might help me to prepare for Imposter better.
I will take your suggestions and ideas into account the next time I take on the BH ladder, and update this thread with my experiences.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)