Monotype Balanced Electric (ORAS Monotype)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguinn

Banned deucer.
Hey everyone, Penguinn here (or Shady). I have been in monotype since 2014 but been on showdown since 2013. I started off monotype using normal, then water, and now here I am in 2016 using electric.
I think electric is a very underated type, but at the same time a very flawed one. It takes a lot of experience in building and knowing the meta and liking the play style that is volt-turn (or just volt). I have peaked 1769 with the team, however I don't have a screen shot of that, but I do have decent proof of this team getting high.
Http://prnt.sc/9j675u my account shady ladder got to 1693 and had a very good gxe for being a pure electric account. And with that being said let's get into the team

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Toxic
- Focus Blast
- Dragon Pulse
- Volt Switch

Okay, so mega ampharos is my mega of choice because I prefer him as my toxic user and it takes pressure off rotom wash, which is a mon every electric team should have. Ampharos is the only pokemon on electric that can take a fake out into high jump kick or ice punch from mega medicham, from there you'd volt switch into raikou and volt switch again. Ampharos is a probably the best switchin to scarf hoopa this type has and any other hoopa really just gives this type as a whole trouble. Also toxic for cradily and zapdos is nice, focus blast is mostly for ferrothorn and bisharp, overall this is a great pokemon.

Calcs for mega medicham: 252+ Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Fake Out vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Ampharos: 56-67 (14.5 - 17.4%) -- possible 6HKO

252+ Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Ampharos: 271-319 (70.5 - 83%) -- Garunteed 2hko

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
-Will-O-Wisp
-Hydro Pump
-Volt Switch
- Pain Split

Rotom wash is the other physical wall on the team for 2 reasons. One, he has will-o which cripples physical attackers and two, he takes dragon hits than ampharos can't after it mega evolves. Rotom is great because of its ability levitate and pain split means if it takes a hit it might be taking HP from its opponent too or burning it. This pokemon may be the sole reason electric beats ground.

Magnezone @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 192 HP/ 252 SpA/ 64 Spe
Modest Nature
-Thunderbolt
-Mirror Coat
-Flash Cannon
-Hidden Power [Grass]
IVs: 30 Atk/ 30 SpA

Alright magnezone is an interesting spread but I promise it has it's reasons. First, this HP investment means that its a roll for choice banded dragonite to 2hko with outrage. The speed makes me faster than clefable easily and baits a scarf or even specs. Mirror coat is meant for volcarona, volcarona is not only a big threat to my team, but every electric team without rock slide eele. Weakness policy is good for mangezone because of his sturdy ability, if he gets hit super effectively, he's getting a kill.

Magnezone vs Choice Banded Dragonite Outrage: 252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Outrage vs. 192 HP / 0 Def Magnzone: 146-172 (44.3 - 52.2%) -- 18.4% chance to 2HKO

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP/ 8 Def/ 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
-Discharge
-Heatwave
-Roost
-Defog

Zapdos is the dedicated special wall to the team, a lot of you may be thinking, "why no speed creep?" Well, it is a good question and the answer to that is I view ampharos as a solid switch in to both breloom and bisharp which is what zapdos normally speed creeps. Zapdos is great to electric because its the only hazard remover we have and this Pokemon can almost single handedly beat steel, even with only 8 defense evs, scarf excadrill struggles to do more than 50% to zapdos. Zapdos having roost is the reason it can take special attackers on by itself but it can't be played recklessly.

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave

Now electric has a big clear problem with it, there are no solid physical attackers, so I decided to make thundurus that. With the ability prankster, I get to taunt hazard setters like skarmory and most of the time force a switch or thunderwave Mons like kyurem black so that magnezone can kill them. Taunt in this meta is great in this meta because it stops the current mew set that runs no attacks. Knock off and superpower is my check to normal types minus staraptor and mega audino. This thundurus doesn't run wild charge for the sheer fact that its just too much recoil and knock off and superpower covers what it needs to.

Raikou @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 Def/ 252 SpA/ 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk/ 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Extrasensory
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Alright so raikou is my hard hitter of the team as the dragon slayer and the mega venusaur check with extrasensory, in my eyes and to my knowledge there is only two checks to mega venusaur being choice specs magnezone and choice specs raikou. Not running shadow ball makes psychic harder to beat but psychic is weak to volt spam from my experience.

Raikou vs Mega Venusaur: 252 SpA Choice Specs Raikou Extrasensory vs. 248 HP / 144 SpD Mega Venusaur: 182-216 (50.1 - 59.5%) -- garunteed 2HKO
I used the standard defensive mega venu for the calc

So overall there are a lot of weaknesses to electric. I don't want to cover every mon so I will cover the types.
Dragon: dragon is a threat because of mega latias, there is no solid check to it. Also outrage spam destroys this type.
Normal: It spreads status everywhere and life orb wears down my win con, a well played chansey beats electric along with diggersby because there is no switch in.
Gravity Ground: Excadrill ohkos everything and landorus does too, its a roll vs zapdos.

Shout outs? Well I'd like to thank Tylacto for inspiring me to do this type and for believing in me. As well as Electric Apples, even though I don't get a long with him he did make weakness policy mag before me and its a great idea.
I know as a person I'm not the most accepted in this community, but with this RMT I hope I can show my place as a good battler and builder at least.

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 30 Atk/ 30 Def
- Toxic
- Focus Blast
- Dragon Pulse
- Volt Switch

Rotom - Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
Ivs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split

Magnezone @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 192 HP / 252 SpA / 64 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Mirror Coat
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP/ 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Discharge
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Defog

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave

Raikou @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Extrasensory
- Hidden Power [ Ice]

Last edited:

Confluxx [Old]

Banned deucer.
Hey dude, really cool team! That Magnezone set is a very creative Volcarona check. I have a few suggestions for you.

So this is a really easy change you can make on Rotom-W. Putting 8 EVs in Speed will allow you to outspeed Adamant Crawdaunt which otherwise outspeeds you and will weaken you a lot and you don't have a good switchin.

252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 133-159 (43.7 - 52.3%) -- 14.1% chance to 2HKO

Taking this damage comes into play because on Dark-type teams, you need Rotom-W healthy to check Weavile and Bisharp, and on Water-type teams you need it for Mega Sharpedo. 248 EVs in HP give Rotom-W an odd HP number which is going to allow it to take less damage from Stealth Rock, so this benefits you in more ways than one.

Hope you like this suggestion, good luck with the team!

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Okay so interesting team you have with some pretty niche sets like Weakness Policy Magnezone and SpD Zapdos (which is rare on Electric iirc because people tend to run Defensive). I also like how Toxic Ampharos beats Zapdos on Flying teams so it doesn't constantly wall you. I really don't like how your Volcarona answer is a WP Sturdy Magnezone because looking at the SR users of Bug and Fire, Zapdos will have a hard time getting a defog in front of Armaldo, and gets overwhelmed by Fire's strong attackers. So a Volcarona will still pretty much ravage through your team.

So I'm going to focus on fixing the issue with Volcarona on your team, it usually has two sets: Fiery Dance / HP Ground / Quiver Dance / Roost and 3 Atks Quiver Dance. First set can be checked fairly easily by Rotom, but Volcarona can actually set up on Rotom because Hydro Pump can miss. Therefore, I'd like to run Thunder Wave over Pain Split on Rotom to stop Volcarona from setting up. Of course this vastly reduces Rotom's longevity but if you play carefully with Rotom you'd realise you don't need to click Pain Split that often. If you still want to retain the health, then try running Thunder Wave over Will-O-Wisp, because I think Volcarona is a much more major issue for Electric than Ground-types because you can pretty much wall almost all of them, apart from SD Garchomp but that's rare as fuck.

For the second set, you have to give up on that Magnezone set. Giving Weakness Policy seems like you don't really have an idea on what to run on Magnezone as an item so you gave it that due to Sturdy. You'd have a much better shot vs Volcarona if you're running Occa Berry on it, which would allow you to live a +1 Fire Blast. Running a spread of 252 HP / 84 SpD lets you live a +1 Fire Blast after rocks so I'd go with that EV Spread.

Hope I helped and good luck with your team!

Penguinn

Banned deucer.
Okay so interesting team you have with some pretty niche sets like Weakness Policy Magnezone and SpD Zapdos (which is rare on Electric iirc because people tend to run Defensive). I also like how Toxic Ampharos beats Zapdos on Flying teams so it doesn't constantly wall you. I really don't like how your Volcarona answer is a WP Sturdy Magnezone because looking at the SR users of Bug and Fire, Zapdos will have a hard time getting a defog in front of Armaldo, and gets overwhelmed by Fire's strong attackers. So a Volcarona will still pretty much ravage through your team.

So I'm going to focus on fixing the issue with Volcarona on your team, it usually has two sets: Fiery Dance / HP Ground / Quiver Dance / Roost and 3 Atks Quiver Dance. First set can be checked fairly easily by Rotom, but Volcarona can actually set up on Rotom because Hydro Pump can miss. Therefore, I'd like to run Thunder Wave over Pain Split on Rotom to stop Volcarona from setting up. Of course this vastly reduces Rotom's longevity but if you play carefully with Rotom you'd realise you don't need to click Pain Split that often. If you still want to retain the health, then try running Thunder Wave over Will-O-Wisp, because I think Volcarona is a much more major issue for Electric than Ground-types because you can pretty much wall almost all of them, apart from SD Garchomp but that's rare as fuck.

For the second set, you have to give up on that Magnezone set. Giving Weakness Policy seems like you don't really have an idea on what to run on Magnezone as an item so you gave it that due to Sturdy. You'd have a much better shot vs Volcarona if you're running Occa Berry on it, which would allow you to live a +1 Fire Blast. Running a spread of 252 HP / 84 SpD lets you live a +1 Fire Blast after rocks so I'd go with that EV Spread.

Hope I helped and good luck with your team!
I really do appreciate the help and where you were going with it but I'll give some valid reasons to why some of those suggestions don't work. First, volcarona's most used item is lum berry, if I I were to run thunder wave it'd just get set up on and potentially giga drain. Second, special defense zapdos is used to take on latis and outspeeds Armaldo so I can remove hazards, which is its job vs bug. Vs fire spec def zapdos takes fire blast in the sun after sr entry vs mega zard y. Plus ampharos and rotom take care of the physical offense fire has to give. Will-o-Wisp on rotom isn't for ground types, if for offensive presence in general, hawlucha, moxie heracross, terrakion. Moving forward, I'm fully aware of viable items on magnezone, occa berry isn't one because fire isn't a bad match for me and 2 that spread weakens my offensive presence which means fairy would become impossible after clef gets one comsmic power up. Also if I'm to get hit with earth power or earthquake by Mons like gastrodon, swampert, or even close combat from heracross, they're as good as dead. Also without max special attack, even if modest u lose ur shot at OHKOing kyurem-b with flash cannon even if modest, which isn't worth it to me in the end. The best checks to volcarona aren't good in this meta which is why electric as a whole struggles vses it. Last note about this, special defensive zapdos isn't a niche or anything, its just that this meta is more physically attacker based, but that doesn't excuse the type from not having a switch in to Mons like zard y. In the case you run physical defensive zapdos, you're probably spec def amphy with power gem or mixed defenses to take hits all together. Thanks for your input and I hope this information teaches you more about the electric build process!

Last edited:

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I really do appreciate the help and where you were going with it but I'll give some valid reasons to why some of those suggestions don't work. First, volcarona's most used item is lum berry, if I I were to run thunder wave it'd just get set up on and potentially giga drain.
As I said there are two sets, the first one is bulky QD with HP Ground, which Rotom can wall with ease. The offensive one should be checked by Magnezone.
Second, special defense zapdos is used to take on latis and outspeeds Armaldo so I can remove hazards, which is its job vs bug. Vs fire spec def zapdos takes fire blast in the sun after sr entry vs mega zard y. Plus ampharos and rotom take care of the physical offense fire has to give.
lol good luck with that, Zapdos can't beat Armaldo 1v1 because EdgeQuake or it gets crippled by knock off. Vs Fire Band Nape is an easy example which can destroy the core if you predict incorrectly.
Will-o-Wisp on rotom isn't for ground types, if for offensive presence in general, hawlucha, moxie heracross, terrakion.
You do realize twave literally does the same thing and stops them right?
Moving forward, I'm fully aware of viable items on magnezone, occa berry isn't one because fire isn't a bad match for me and 2 that spread weakens my offensive presence which means fairy would become impossible after clef gets one comsmic power up. Also if I'm to get hit with earth power or earthquake by Mons like gastrodon, swampert, or even close combat from heracross, they're as good as dead. Also without max special attack, even if modest u lose ur shot at OHKOing kyurem-b with flash cannon even if modest, which isn't worth it to me in the end. The best checks to volcarona aren't good in this meta which is why electric as a whole struggles vses it. Last note about this, special defensive zapdos isn't a niche or anything, its just that this meta is more physically attacker based, but that doesn't excuse the type from not having a switch in to Mons like zard y. In the case you run physical defensive zapdos, you're probably spec def amphy with power gem or mixed defenses to take hits all together.
Occa Berry should definitely be considered because Cosmic Power Clefable isn't even good enough to be a set. Calm Mind is, but it can still be stopped by spamming Flash Cannon. Idk why you're bringing up Gastro / Kyu-B when ur original set cant beat it as well esp when u forget Kyurem-B has Teravolt (cwl). SpD Zapdos is rare on Electric because it tends to check Physical threats unlike your team, where you're allowing a Pokemon will lesser physical attack resistances like Rotom as the wall.
Thanks for your input and I hope this information teaches you more about the electric build process!
Idk why you wanted to sound like a dick here but if you're too keen on not changing the team I suggest you to ignore a rate.

Penguinn

Banned deucer.
As I said there are two sets, the first one is bulky QD with HP Ground, which Rotom can wall with ease. The offensive one should be checked by Magnezone.

lol good luck with that, Zapdos can't beat Armaldo 1v1 because EdgeQuake or it gets crippled by knock off. Vs Fire Band Nape is an easy example which can destroy the core if you predict incorrectly.

You do realize twave literally does the same thing and stops them right?

Occa Berry should definitely be considered because Cosmic Power Clefable isn't even good enough to be a set. Calm Mind is, but it can still be stopped by spamming Flash Cannon. Idk why you're bringing up Gastro / Kyu-B when ur original set cant beat it as well esp when u forget Kyurem-B has Teravolt (cwl). SpD Zapdos is rare on Electric because it tends to check Physical threats unlike your team, where you're allowing a Pokemon will lesser physical attack resistances like Rotom as the wall.

Idk why you wanted to sound like a dick here but if you're too keen on not changing the team I suggest you to ignore a rate.
Alright now u asked me to be a douche, first buddy, go to the monotype hub, go to sample teams, my team, tylactos team and perish song me's team all carry spec def zapdos. I brought up gastro because it supports me running weakness policy because after an epower, its dead with hp grass. I brought up kyruem because ur suggested spread means I'm taking from my special attack because no magnezone should be slower than clefable. And you saying that flash cannon beats calm mind clefable is false, there are rolls, not in my favor either and a 10% chance to drop isn't likely. And mirror coat occa berry, my magnezone would be limited to checking one mon, its not worth it. Next, rotom is a great DRAGONITE check, will-o-wisp breaks the scale and weakens it. Last, banded fire punch... Fire struggles to hazard on me because heatran loses to my thundurus and banded infernape gets ohko'd by my raikou if that the situation u want to play out, and torkoal gets taunted as well, or walled by zapdos.

iLlama

Nothing personal, I protect my people
Y'all need to chill. It's just an RMT of a pretty good Electric team.

Specially Defensive Zapdos on Electric is the most common set. Sets with berry and t wave coverage are solely dependent on tHe user, their play style, and how they want to cover for weaknesses. Banded nape is dangerous, but who uses band nape, and who uses it often, either on ladder or in tournament? I'd rather not drag on, so I'll end it at that.

Great team Shady, but mine's better. ;)

Great team shady :) btw you failed to mention that this team is the one I created. I dont even mind you RMT-ing it and taking credit for making it as long as you give me a shout out. Also your team loses to Psychic Mono without shadow ball on raikou. Extrasensory is good for 2hkoing venusaur only w/o leech seed. You deal with venusaur on this team by wisping it then taunting and stopping its recovery because grass teams cant do too much to this team besides breloom. WP is to take out gastros in one hit while whomping spdef gliscor which is a real nuisance to this team.

But anyways if anything good came out of this people have seen the team that I created. And for that matter i peaked at 1781 with this team. So shout outs to me for making your mono career even halfway memorable :]

Penguinn

Banned deucer.
Great team shady :) btw you failed to mention that this team is the one I created. I dont even mind you RMT-ing it and taking credit for making it as long as you give me a shout out. Also your team loses to Psychic Mono without shadow ball on raikou. Extrasensory is good for 2hkoing venusaur only w/o leech seed. You deal with venusaur on this team by wisping it then taunting and stopping its recovery because grass teams cant do too much to this team besides breloom. WP is to take out gastros in one hit while whomping spdef gliscor which is a real nuisance to this team.

But anyways if anything good came out of this people have seen the team that I created. And for that matter i peaked at 1781 with this team. So shout outs to me for making your mono career even halfway memorable :]
Alright aszi let me make a few things clear here; first, the meta for psychic has changed, there are multiple ways to play it with this team, taunt thundurus stops mew and beats it, from there I with by volt spamming into proper checks to a Mon. Second, if u read this whole thread and my response to arifeen you would of realized that I did make a note about gastrodon and swampert because it can beat both. And don't take credit for half my mono career because I fixed the team to my own standards, you don't play my battles for me, I do. You did teach me a damn thing about electric, as a matter of fact you left this community and said do what I please with this team. So I had to go to Tylacto for help, I wouldn't be where I am if it wasn't for him, not you. I have grown as an electric user as a whole. The only build of electric I have never touched and don't want to is Tesla's. And you didn't make a good mag spread to handle dragonite, your build would auto lose. Our thought of electric are different and times have changed, and it seems you forgot who your true friend was.

Last edited:
Alright aszi let me make a few things clear here; first, the meta for psychic has changed, there are multiple ways to play it with this team, taunt thundurus stops mew and beats it, from there I with by volt spamming into proper checks to a Mon. Second, if u read this whole thread and my response to arifeen you would of realized that I did make a note about gastrodon and swampert because it can beat both. And don't take credit for half my mono career because I fixed the team to my own standards, you don't play my battles for me, I do. You did teach me a damn thing about electric, as a matter of fact you left this community and said do what I please with this team. So I had to go to Tylacto for help, I wouldn't be where I am if it wasn't for him, not you. I have grown as an electric user as a whole. The only build of electric I have never touched and don't want to is Tesla's. And you didn't make a good mag spread to handle dragonite, your build would auto lose. Our thought of electric are different and times have changed, and it seems you forgot who your true friend was.
kk fam if ur gonna post something as ur team and not give me credit then at least peak the highest with it :]

http://prntscr.com/c73mm7 <<fresh off my lack of knowledge of the current mono meta.

P.S. I didn't know "help" was the new word for "ghosting on ladder matches by better electric users"

Penguinn

Banned deucer.
kk fam if ur gonna post something as ur team and not give me credit then at least peak the highest with it :]

http://prntscr.com/c73mm7 <<fresh off my lack of knowledge of the current mono meta.

P.S. I didn't know "help" was the new word for "ghosting on ladder matches by better electric users"
/rank iPenguinn, straight off that "ghosting".
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-309202333
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-298282572
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-382543260
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-299795471
Who needs shadow ball.... I did all these battles on my own lmao, shocker. I sacked my wincons vs eric, came back. Beat soma, one of the hardest matches for elecric to be fair. Beat bit, but forfeited banded terrak rapes electric. And yeah a 6-0 vs psychic. If I gotta show more I will. I did the electric team builder challenge with izaya, it was HO webs offense with rotom heat, galvantula, mega manectric, magnezone, banded thundurus, and heliolisk. I went 27-3 with it. So you doubt me, but u don't even know me. And when I tried to talk to you and contact you before I posted this thread you never contacted me back and when u did go on PS I contacted you about it again and you didn't reply. You want too much for things I did myself.

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Locking since nothing constructive has been posted in the past two weeks. If you guys want to continue arguing feel free to do it over PM but don't derail threads for it please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)