Monotype Balance Grass Team

Hey everyone!

I haven't been playing for about half a year now, and I just made this Grass team for Monotype. Each Pokemon has its own individual role. Any suggestions?

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 126 Def / 126 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed

This is the hazard setter of the team. Stealth Rock is SO helpful against Fire and Flying. He also provides nice damage with Gyro Ball and Power Whip. Leech Seed is just a nice move to have in wall vs wall battles.

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Encore
- Moonblast
- Taunt
- Tailwind

Full on support. Against hazard-stacking Steels or self-buffers, Taunt and Encore are great moves to have with Prankster out-prioritizing everything. Tailwind is always nice to have if I have the chance to use it. Moonblast is just there for damage.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 220 HP / 252 SpA / 36 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Psychic
- Giga Drain
- Nasty Plot

At first, I had a Light Screen/Reflect/Clay Celebi, which worked pretty well, but I had problems with coverage. So I threw everything out the window and now we have a Nasty Plot Celebi. Earth Power is for Steel, Fire and Rock, and Psychic is for Fighting and Poison.

Rotom-Mow @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Leaf Storm
- Signal Beam

Rotom has a nice role here. He's my best counter to Flying types, and functions as a pivot with Volt Switch. I would like to replace Signal Beam though... I haven't found a sufficient use for that yet...

Breloom @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Spore
- Rock Tomb

Mmm mmm.... Breloom provides some nice juicy damage. The coveted Spore puts everything to sleep. Mach Punch does huge Extreme-Speed Level priority damage, while Bullet Seed does a suprising amount of STAB damage. Rock Tomb does coverage against Flying and Fire.

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder

Big daddy himself. He's extremely beefy and Thick Fat helps tank against Fire and Ice. On top of that, Sleep Powder puts things to sleep, rendering them easy targets. Giga Drain and Synthesis help him stay alive for a HUGE AMOUNT OF TIME. Lastly, Sludge Bomb is a good source of damage when Venusaur's at full health.

What do you think? I've had some great results with this team, although my wish list would be:

- a hazard remover (This one time my Whimsicott was dead and I had 3 layers of spikes, 2 layers of toxic spikes, and stealth rock on my side of the field.)

- better fire and steel-type coverage

- a way to fit Decuidye, my favourite Pokemon (I had him with Choice Scarf before)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey letterman4, nice Grass team right there! Though I'll share you some of my thoughts on it:

First off, Protect over Power Whip on Ferrothorn. Your team already does have a lot of Grass-type STABs (After all, it's a Grass team), so Power Whip really feels unnecessary, especially when you can dish good amounts of damage on most offensive targets with Gyro Ball (since Ferro is hella slow). Protect, on the other hand, would give you the power to ease prediction vs. Choice-locked targets such as Diggersby with Fire Punch, Victini, Dragonite with Superpower, among others, making it possible for you to go to the right switch-in to tank the respective move. Changing its spread to a more optimized standard 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD with an Impish nature is a good move as well.

Another change I would definitely suggest is Cradily over Whimsicott. I honestly don't see Whimsicott doing much to your team aside from being an annoyer, which the Grass Defensive Core already does quite well, so Cradily is pretty darn good over it for tanking most special Flying- and Fire-type attacks that really threaten your team, such as Mega Charizard Y's Fire Blast and Mega Pidgeot's Hurricane. It also provides a much-appreciated Stealth Rocker (which is something almost every team needs for succeeding) and a Fire check in general. The set would be as following:

Cradily @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rock Slide
- Toxic
- Synthesis
- Stealth Rock

For your Rotom-Mow, I'd suggest Scarf over Specs. Choice Specs Rotom-C is surprisingly not as powerful as you would expect from a jump to Specs, whereas Scarf gives you a good mean of speed control and a nice pivoting weapon as well. Also, change Signal Beam to either HP Ice (for 4x weak Dragons) or Trick (which I find to be the best option, wrecking walls such as Chansey, Porygon2 and Skarmory).

Lastly, some minor tweaks (some are optional): Run max speed on Celebi, just so you can hit hard most threats as possible. A Z-Move (like Groundium-Z EP) could be effective too. Also, Psyshock is definitely something I would run over Psychic, for hitting special walls weak in Physical Defense (e.g: Chansey). Run a Focus Sash over LO on Breloom, for sleep inducing most offensive targets more effectively if you keep its sash intact. Offensive Venu is a thing, but I think the team would appreciate a more defensive spread, like the Monotype Analysis one of 252 HP / 212 Def / 28 SpD / 16 Spe, with a Bold Nature.

Good luck with your team, and hope those changes might help you a bit :)

Hey letterman4,
Another change I would definitely suggest is Cradily over Whimsicott. I honestly don't see Whimsicott doing much to your team aside from being an annoyer, which the Grass Defensive Core already does quite well, so Cradily is pretty darn good over it for tanking most special Flying- and Fire-type attacks that really threaten your team, such as Mega Charizard Y's Fire Blast and Mega Pidgeot's Hurricane. It also provides a much-appreciated Stealth Rocker (which is something almost every team needs for succeeding) and a Fire check in general. The set would be as following:

Cradily @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rock Slide
- Toxic
- Synthesis
- Stealth Rock
Isn't it kind of redundant to have two Stealth Rockers on the same team? Should I switch Ferrothorn's Stealth Rock for Spikes? I would rather replace Cradily/Whimsicott with a Rapid Spin or Defogger. I am considering Dhelmise, Decuideye, or Kartana.

Also Celebi can't learn Psyshock.

Last edited:
Isn't it kind of redundant to have two Stealth Rockers on the same team? Should I switch Ferrothorn's Stealth Rock for Spikes? I would rather replace Cradily/Whimsicott with a Rapid Spin or Defogger. I am considering Dhelmise, Decuideye, or Kartana.

Kartana is banned from Monotype.

Oops, thought it did learn Psyshock, my bad. And yeah, I also didn't realize Ferro had SR; replace it for Spikes then. Grass doesn't imperatively need hazard removal (no pokemons of your team is weak to it whatsoever, and you have a resist to it), so it's better to go with Cradily, which can wall or threaten most wallbreakers that wrecks Grass otherwise; it also promotes good specially defensive synergy altogether with the team.

Use Recover > Synthesis on Cradily, I was dumb enough to not remind Cradily has Recover.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)