SM PU Balance for ladder

Hello, the team i have been using lately is balanced. It seems to have at least a decent match-up vs most teams, aside from borderline cheesy builds. I have been struggling with a couple of choices, mainly mainly my options versus stall and would like to hear an opinion on tweaks.

Primeape @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Scarfed primeape is my revenged killer of choice. Maximum attack and speed ensures i can go first, u-turning out to a better matchup. It can ohko and outspeed shell smash omastar which seems to be common at lower ranks. Close combat is its hardest hitting move and should be used to KO after coming in safely. Stone-edge is used to beat and predict flying switch ins, able to ohko some of them, like articuno. Ice punch is for coverage, hitting grass types. It is sometimes used as a lead, u-turning out turn one.

Mudsdale @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Stamina
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Protect

Defensive tank, stealth rock setter and volturn stopper all in one. Is ofter brought out soon to set up stealth rock and versus physical attackers. Is a great switch versus u-turning scyther and primeape to a lesser extent, damaging them with rocky helmet. After switching into good matchup, has options to either toxic or stealth rock to get ahead. Earthquake is it's only damaging move, and can hit fairly hard due to mudsdale's nice natural attack. Protect is used to scout out moves and stall with toxic.

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Toxic
- Shadow Ball
- Recover

Main Special wall. Jellicent is used as a check to threats mudsdale fears, aside from grass types. Scald and toxic are used to beat walls and attackers on the switch. Recover is used for toxic stalling.With 180 Def IV's, It can switch into thunderpunching hitmonchan and wall it with recover and leftovers. Hitmonchan can beat it with hazard support when switching directly into thunderpunch. With this split i can block the common hitmonchan from rapid spinning away stealth rocks. Shadow ball is a coverage move, which im actively replacing in and out of this set and experimenting with.

Rotom-Frost @ Icium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Volt Switch
- Defog
- Pain Split

Rotom is often one of my most useful team members. It does so many roles. It can switch into grass types that my mudsdale jellicent defensive core cant beat and threaten to kill them in return. It is alsu the second part of the voltturn core with primeape. It also has a one time icium z nuke for tougher opponents i really need to get rid of. It is my only form of hazard control on the team. Pain split is used when switchins aren't hurt by it's electric/ice stabs to regain health and slightly damage healthy opponents.

Guzzlord @ Choice Specs
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 136 Def / 252 SpA / 120 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Knock Off

Guzzlord is a wallbreaker on the team. It is used early to drop draco meteors on the enemy and get of damage for my primeape and rotom to then clean up after. 136Def is used as recommended by smogon, to survive alolan sandslash better. Dark pulse is it's secondary stab move and is used to beat slower switch in's by flinching and double stab dark pulse, because it doesn't drop special attack like draco meteor. Fire blast is used to destroy steel types that can easily eat it's other moves. Knock of is used last, when opponent's switch ins are not hurt by either of it's moves much, to at least provide some utility. I often play around with guzlord's EV's, putting some of it's speed IVS into health or spDef, even attack.

Mesprit @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish

My last team meber is a setup sweeper. It can be brought in to clean up after a calm mind or two, and use dazzling gleam to destroy some of it's dark type checks that want to pursuit trap it. Psyshock is used to beat some of the special walls, after a boost of two. Finally, healing wish is often used if mesprit isn't needed late to heal up guzlord, primeape or rotom.

Threats and weaknesses:
Defensive eviolite clefairy. -> I have had games where it could come in on most of my team and toxic stall them. A smart opponent can switch out of guzzlord's knock of and keep it's eviloite and bulk. My two walls that rely on toxic can't stall it, because of it's ability.

No taunt or encore user -> I sometimes miss a taunt user to stop leads and setup sweepers or some walls like clefairy. I can't steem to fit them on my team.

Grass switch-ins. -> My grass switch in's are terrible. Primeape can't ohko victreebell or roselia for example. Rotom is the only one that can beat them, but is often overloaded with tasks such as volturn chipping, defogging and beating flyers. I have been thinking lately about switching guzzlord out for sap sipper drampa as a wallbreaker.

No priority -> A single move that could revenge kill boosted opponents is often missed.

Thoughts:
I like the position of jellicent, mudsdale, primeape and rotom. The last two members seem to be replacable. I often can't find opprtunities to setup with mesprit and it seems to not do that much. Rotom is often overloaded with things it must do and is chipped and KOed.
Team seems to function OK, but needs some tuning to be good.

Thank you for reading and thank you for help in advance.

ShuckleDeath

They call me the kign of typos
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hello iamsneaky642, I also enjoying using balance teams and have a lot of experience in using them. I can help improve this team while leaving the four Pokemon you want intact I think they can work well together with a bit set work and a change of the final two Pokemon.

Primeape @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch ---> Gunk Shot
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

A simple change here, Gunk Shot hits Grass-types still while also hitting Clefairy which will help you with your concerns about it. Flying-types are hit by Stone Edge so it doesn't really hurt to change this. While Gunk Shot has low accuraccy Primeape clicks Close Combat or U-turn most of the time and you have other ways of dealing with Clefairy so you do not have to worry about losing games to a Gunk Shot miss for the most part.

Mudsdale @ Rocky Helment ---> Leftovers
Ability: Stamina
EVs: 248 HP / 132 Atk / 128 Def
Impish ---> Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Protect ---> Rock Slide

The standared spread helps you with Clefairy as well as it can 2HKO it, however, this set is more important so it can 2HKO Kanghaskan which Mudsdale is your only real switch into it and it is already a shaky check. You have more ways of checking Kanghaskan so I don't thinbk your super weak to it but having this helps in beating it that much more. Rock Slide lets Swanna not come in for free, Toxic does that too, but on teams using Swanna you will most likely need your Jellicent healthy and your way to beat it defenivly would be to use Toxic then go into Jellicent.

Jellicent @ Leftovers ---> Colbur Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 228 Def / 32 Spe
Calm ---> Bold Nature
- Scald
- Shadow Ball ---> Taunt
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp

You want physcally defenisve Jellicent on this team. It is your way of dealing with Alolan Sandslash on Hail teams. Taunt fits in here over Shadow Ball which helps against things like Quagsire. Colbur is important here just in case you run into Knock Off Alolan Sandslash it can sweep this team easily if Jellicent goes down so keep that in mind when playing against them.

Rotom-Frost @ Icium Z ---> Iapapa Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Volt Switch
- Defog
- Pain Split ---> Hidden Power [Fighting]

Rotom-Frost can act as another check to Alolan Sandslash as well as Aurorus which is why I put Hidden Power Fighting on it. Iapapa Berry is used over Icium Z cause it helps check them better as well as makes it have an easier time Defogging. The Z Stone is used else where as well with the team changes. You do not really want to Switch this directly into Aurorus as CHoice Specs Hidden Power Rock is a OHKO.

--->

Lycanroc @ Lycanium Z
Ability: Steadfast
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Drill Run
- Accelerock

Lycanroc makes this team usable in my opinion. It does several key things which really patched up a lot of weaknesses so I would defenitly suggest keeping this change. It gives you a reliable way to beat offenisve teams which other wise I think you would struggle against greatly. Oricorio-Pom-Pom would have been the biggest threat to this team but with Lycanroc you have an easy way to check it. Acclerock is better over Sucker Punch on this team I feel as it gives you an reliable way to revenge kill Jynx which this team would otherwise be weak too. It can aslo help wallbreak for Primeape. Between Choce Scarf Primeape and Lycanroc I feel you have a good chance against non-weather offenisve teams where as before I felt you were very weak to them.

--->

Oricorio-Pom-Pom @ Lum Berry
Ability: Dancer
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Hurricane
- Taunt

Oricorio-Pom-Pom keeps you from being increbly Gurdurr weak. With taunt it helps you match-up against stall teams. Lum Berry is your best option of Item here as it helps not lose to Toxic stall. Rocky Helment could be used to help get chip on Primeape which helps Lycanroc.

Team Changes

Hello, thank you for your response. I have been testing the changes you made and have been very pleased with them. Oricorio has been an MVP in many stall match ups, stopping pyukumukus, audinos and clefairies a lot. It works great as a calm mind sweeper as well.
I sometimes struggle to setup with lycanroc, but when i do it usually manages to clean up. I was really weak to gurdurr before, this seems to help a bit, jellicent gets knocked off. I'm actively testing minor variations to what you posted and am having success with the team overall.
Thank you for your response, will post back with result after playtesting a bit. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)