SM OU Aurora - SM OU Bulky Offense (Nominated for RMT of the week)

Aurora
--------------------

Introduction
Hi there! Welcome to this RMT! Aurora is a Bulky Offense team I've created in the past couple of weeks and it has brought me quite a lot of success. I used to struggle when laddering because I'd always want to make my own teams, but they generally turned out pretty bad, so I had some trouble getting high enough in the ladder to prove myself I'm decent at Pokémon. However, one day I decided to build around Tapu Koko, and guess what? After hours of wisely selecting the ideal teammates for Tapu Koko, the team was ready, I started getting some Ls at first because I was quite rusty and the lack of using good teams was demotivating me, but after I got the hang of OU back again, the team started to work pretty good, at least in my opinion. Now, obviously, if the team was perfect, I woudn't be posting it here, as this is called Rate My Team for a reason! I can't really identify any major issues with it, but I'm still afraid this team isn't working to its full potential, so if you're reading this, and have some knowledge of the SM OU Metagame, please stick around, read the whole thing and then give me your rates! I need them :)

Without further ado, let's get started:

Teambuilding Process
I started off with Tapu Koko, it is just an amazing Pokémon in the current meta, and while I started with Electrium Z after some test I changed it back to the classic Life Orb.

After Koko, I chose to add Icium Z Kyurem-B, a Pokémon that breaks down most Koko answers. Tangrowth, Chansey? Gone! Kyurem-B also benefits from Electric Terrain with Fusion Bolt, which is quite a combo if you ask me.

Now that we have already quite a solid offensive core in our hands, I figured it'd be interesting to add Mega Camerupt to the mix, as it is a secondary wallbreaker that can dismantle anything not called Chansey, which Kyurem-B already deals with, it also provides a Volcarona and a Charizard-Y awnser. It also breaks down AV Magearna and Bulky Steel-types in general that Koko + Kyurem-B have trouble against.

As of now, I decided to add a defensive backbone to the team, SpDef Ferrothorn felt like a great pick as it can deal with non HP Fire Greninja, opposing Tapu Koko, Choice locked Tapu Lele and dent Magearna. It also adds Spikes to the mix, making those three wallbreakers even harder to switch into.

Another defensive backbone was needed, so I chose to add CroCune, also known as Rest Talk Suicune, to complement Ferrothorn and Camel, creating a defensive FWG core. Suicune also gives a powerful PP Stalling tool to the team, in case a match comes down to it.

Finally, I wanted a very fast revenge killer to be a secondary stop to set-up sweepers and also clean up late game. I decided on Hawlucha, as with Electric Seed it can hit absurd Speed Tiers, outspeeding even +2 Volcarona as well as many other threats such as Ash Greninja, Mega Charizard Y, Mega Swampert, Kingdra, Excadrill and many more.

In Depth Analysis

Suicune
@ Leftovers @
# Pressure #
* Bold Nature *
248 HP EVs | 0 Atk IVs | 136 Def EVs | 52 SpDef EVs | 72 Spe EVs
- Scald -
- Calm Mind -
- Rest -
- Sleep Talk -

The famous CroCune set is here! Suicune acts as a check to most physical attackers that can overwhelm Ferrothorn and deal with most Fire-types that don't have any coverage move for it. Leftovers, along with Rest and Sleep Talk gives Suicune a lot more longevity, allowing it to keep healthy troughout a match and reliably check what it needs to. Pressure can be useful if a match comes down to PP stalling. The EV spread allows Suicune to outpace standard Defensive Landorus-T and the Defense EVs hit a jump point while leving some EVs to SpDef. Scald gives it some offensive presence as Scald is quite an annoying Move to switch into, and Calm Mind can act as a option for Suicune to check Special Attackers better if need be.

Kyurem-Black
@ Icium Z @
# Teravolt #
* Naive Nature *
252 Atk EVs | 4 SpA EVs | 252 Spe EVs
- Freeze Shock -
- Ice Beam -
- Fusion Bolt -
- Earth Power -

Kyurem-B is a powerful Wallbreaker and has very few safe switch-ins. It breaks down and weakens the opponent's team for Tapu Koko or Hawlucha to clean up, not to mention the dent it puts on Stall. Icium Z gives it a 200 BP Subzero Slammer which is capable of doing massive amounts of damage to resists and straight up OHKOing like 90% of the Pokémon that don't resist it. Teravolt helps when facing Mega Venusaur, Rotom-W and Mimikyu. Ice Beam is a secondary STAB and is useful when Subzero Slammer has already been used or wanted to be preserved. Fusion Bolt destroys anything under Electric Terrain and makes Kyurem-B a nightmare to switch into when coupled with its Ice-type STAB. Finally Earth Power rounds its coverage by hitting Alolan Marowak, Magnezone and Rotom-W.

Tapu Koko
@ Life Orb @
# Electric Surge #
* Timid Nature *
252 SpA EVs | 4 SpD EVs | 252 Spe EVs
- Thunderbolt -
- Dazzling Gleam -
- Hidden Power [Fire] -
- U-turn -

Tapu Koko serves as the team's pivot, as it provides lots of support to the squad (Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt and Hawlucha's Electric Seed). Koko can also clean late game, but most of the time it sets the stage up for Hawlucha to take the win. Life Orb is the item of choice thanks to the high damage output it provides for Dazzling Gleam and Hidden Power [Fire]. Thunderbolt is Koko's obligatory STAB (or Wild Charge I guess...) and is just extremely powerful. Dazzling Gleam and Hidden Power [Fire] hit most Pokémon that take Thunderbolt and U-turn helps Koko escape Dugtrio as well as provide momentum for the team.

Mega Camerupt
@ Cameruptite @
# Solid Rock #
* Modest Nature *
216 HP EVs | 168 SpA EVs | 124 Spe EVs
- Fire Blast -
- Earth Power -
- Ancient Power -
- Stealth Rock -

Mega Camerupt is the second wallbreaker of the team, the combination of Sheer Force and its massive Special Attack stat makes it deadly to switch into, it also doesn't have much trouble setting up Rocks because of the number of switches it forces, including Mega Sableye. The EV spread gives it enough Speed to outrun Toxapex and OHKO it with Earth Power, while the rest is reserved to maximize its bulk. Fire Blast and Earth Power annihilate everything thanks to their amazing coverage, for the few Pokémon that dodge the 2HKO from these attacks, Ancient Power usually seals the deal, its also great for Charizard-Y and Volcarona as Camel can take one hit.

Hawlucha
@ Electric Seed @
# Unburden #
* Adamant Nature *
252 Atk EVs | 4 Def EVs | 252 Speed EVs
- High Jump Kick -
- Acrobatics -
- Stone Edge -
- Swords Dance -

Hawlucha is quite an underrated revenge killer, Unburden + Electric Seed is a nasty combo that allows it to outspeed literally anything and (attempt to) KO it with its high BP STAB Moves + Stone Edge for Zapdos, Swords Dance also helps when dealing with Choice Scarfed Ground-types or Pokémon like Tangrowth that simply can't break Hawlucha at all. It serves as an answer to most set-up sweepers the team struggles against, such as Volcarona and Fightium Z Shift Gear Magearna and is overall a very solid revenge killer. Also the spread allows it to outspeed Timid Charizard-Y without Electric Terrain, as well as +2 Volcarona under the Terrain and speed tie with opposing Hawlucha.

Ferrothorn
@ Leftovers @
# Iron Barbs #
* Sassy Nature *
252 HP EVs | 48 Def EVs | 208 SpDef EVs | 0 Spe IVs
- Power Whip -
- Gyro Ball -
- Leech Seed -
- Spikes -

Ferrothorn, along with Suicune and Mega Camerupt form the team's defensive core, SpDef Ferrothorn is quite an unpredictable set that allows this team not to lose to Specs Gengar, Tapu Lele and other dedicated Special Attackers.The EV spread gives it a jump point in Special Defense and allows it to avoid the 2HKO from Adamant Landorus-T's Eathquake. Power Whip and Gyro Ball give it offensive presense, while Leech Seed provides passive recovery along with Leftovers and Spikes wears the opponents team down.

Threatlist
Threat scale:

Most Threatening - Major Threat - Minor Threat - Least Threatening

Mega Lopunny

This Pokémon is probably the number one threat to this team, as my only way of revenge killing it is with Hawlucha, and none of my Tanks can actually take a hit if it has Power-Up Punch. But, what's the deal, just revenge kill it with Hawlucha! Its not that simple, because Hawlucha can only outspeed Mega Lopunny once, becuase after that the Unburden effect is gone... So if one of Lopunny's teammates is stopping Hawlucha from sweeping, there's nothing I can do to deal with Loppuny except hope my opponent chokes or force him / her to sack his / her Hawlucha check so Hawlucha can win.

Mega Pinsir

Unless Suicune Scald burns this monster, it can easily take down my Defensive Core as well, SpDef Ferrothorn drops to Close Combat and has a big chance to get 2HKO'd by Return, while Suicune absolutely needs a Scald Burn. Yeah, Koko can Revenge Kill, but that's about it, it is also a Hawlucha check because Quick Attack straight up OHKO's, so it prevents Hawlucha from sweeping and forces me sack something to bring Koko, which takes like 40% from +2 Quick Attack.

Mega Medicham

Mega Medicham is similar to Mega Loppuny in the sense that I have absolutely no switch ins to it, but the bright side is that Tapu Koko and Hawlucha can revenge kill it without Unburden (just remeber that Acro will have 55BP before Electric Seed)

Kyurem-Black

Just like Cham and Lop, Kyurem-B demolished my defensive core if it has Earth Power, but its much more manageble because Hawlucha, Koko and my own Kyurem-B can reliably revenge kill it (I'm the only one to run Naibe Kyurem-B, trust me). But still, you gotta sack something everytime it comes in.

Mega Heracross

Mega Heracross completely dismantles my defensive backbones. Suicune, Camerupt and Ferrothorn are all either 2HKO'd or OHKO'd. Hawlucha, Tapu Koko and Kyurem-B can revenge kill but this is still a monster.

Tapu Bulu

Zero switch ins, same thing as the 'mons above it, revenge kill it with Kyurem-B, but something has to be sacked. Superpower blows SpDef Ferrothorn away, and let's not even mention Suicune in this.

Stall

This isn't that big of a threat as Camerupt can force out Sableye and get up Stealth Rock, but it is indeed trapped by Dugtrio, so that's quite a issue, but after Sableye is gone, Icium Z Kyurem-B kind of deals with it, just remeber to click HP Fire first if Dugtrio traps you that way Reversal doesn't OHKO later. Save Icium Z for Clef, Fusion Bolt / Thunderbolt Skarm and Thapex and beat Chansey with Hawlucha, it should work in theory but Stall is still always a threat.

Mew

Mew is quite annoying to break you kind of have to lure it with Icium Z Kyurem-B or hope it randomly decides to stay in on Camel, otherwise you're gonna have a tough time. It is also nearly a full stop to Hawlucha.

Mega Mawile

With Fire Fang this thing blows away Ferrothorn, and if I don't Burn it with Scald Suicune is also gone too, without Stealth Rock Camel can actually switch in and not get 2HKO'd though, that's why its no higher on the list, also, Kyurem-B, Koko and Hawlucha can all Revenge Kill without much struggle.

Webs

This playstyle can turn out to be quite an issue despite its gimmicky orientation. Because of my lack of hazard control. Webs are guaranteed on my side of the field. And with Pokémon like Mega Pinsir, Thundurus and Mimikyu preventing Hawlucha from sweeping I literally have to pray my opponent sacrifices them, which probably won't happen in higher ladder so...

Importable

https://pokepast.es/005f678423968fe2
--------------------

Click here for the ELO Proof

Last edited:
I'd recommend using this suicune set instead
Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 24 SpD / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Protect
- Substitute
- Calm Mind

It can pp stall most of the mons that are threats to ur team that restcune just cant.

I also think you should use rock slide > ancient power on mega camerupt since it does more to zard y and charti volc even if you are modest.

I do quite like your team

Last edited:
I'd recommend using this suicune set instead
Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 24 SpD / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Protect
- Substitute
- Calm Mind

It can pp stall most of the mons that are threats to ur team that restcune just cant.

I also think you should use rock slide > ancient power on mega camerupt since it does more to zard y and charti volc even if you are modest.
I appreciate the input :) but the thing is, I already have Hawlucha for Volcarona and Ancient Power already OHKOs Zard-Y so no big deal running Rock Slide imo. As for VinCune (the set you suggest) while it is definitely an amazing set, CroCune (Rest Talk) fits better on the team, I use Suicune more as a tank than anything else, so my goal is for Suicune to stay healthy troughtout the match and switch into Pokémon like Alolan Marowak and what not, with VinCune, it no longer has this advangtage, VinCune is more of a win condition then a wall if you get my point. And I need a wall, I already have enough win cons, if you want to use this set when playing with my team feel free to, but I prefer the classic RestTalk one :)

the problem with this is, you cant come in to volc mid game when it starts to setup and you dont have electric terrain up youll need to go into koko first giving volcarona 2 quiver dances.
1) Not really, cuz' I switch into Koko as it QDances, forcing it to attack me and I can sack something else, that it is at +1 Speed anyways.
2) and even if it does manage to predict my sack and QDance again getting to +2, Hawlucha still outspeeds because of my EV Spread.

But I do get your point though, if I have trouble with Volcarona when laddering I'll change it to Rock Slide, for now, Ancient Power seems fine. Again, thanks for the input :)

How did u get the colors to fade like that from light to dark and vice versa? I know this isn't relevant but its cool and looks lit

Hey dude! I really liked this team, and i would like give some thoughts about it. (I'm in cell Phone, sorry for the lack of more elaborate rate, but still this would help)

1.- In first place, I don't think running LO Koko with U turn is good, because You get recoil while doing pitiful damage, also, as You lack hazard removal, Koko will be worn down pretty fast. In this case, i would use Roost over U-Turn. It gives You pretty solid longevity and let You switch in more recklessly.

2.- I think this team needs hazard removal as hell. Nearly all of your mons are grounded, then things like Spikes Greninja and also Toxic Spikes Will put you into a massive pressure, while cutting the chances of your breakers to come in and do their job. In this vein, i would run Mantine instead of Suicune. You keep a Fire-check, a ZardY counter and a solid volcarona check, giving you the needed defog, also having great defensive sinergy with ferrothorn and camel to back it up. If You make this change, then You could run stealth rock with ferrothorn, instead of Spikes, and run HP Ice in camel to lure in shit like zygarde and garchomp. Also, this change takes off pressure from Koko and Hawlucha to Revenge kill volcarona.

However, the Main change of running Mantine, doesnt fix your threaslist, so it is up to you. Another thing, could be run a Bold Clefable with Magic Guard, this gives You a check to Loppuny and Medicham, also dealing pretty good with Mew and improving your matchup vs stall being able to set up stealth rock as M-Sableye scares away.

I'll include sets latter today :) good luck Buddy and i hope this suggestion may be useful :)

Hey dude! I really liked this team, and i would like give some thoughts about it. (I'm in cell Phone, sorry for the lack of more elaborate rate, but still this would help)

1.- In first place, I don't think running LO Koko with U turn is good, because You get recoil while doing pitiful damage, also, as You lack hazard removal, Koko will be worn down pretty fast. In this case, i would use Roost over U-Turn. It gives You pretty solid longevity and let You switch in more recklessly.

2.- I think this team needs hazard removal as hell. Nearly all of your mons are grounded, then things like Spikes Greninja and also Toxic Spikes Will put you into a massive pressure, while cutting the chances of your breakers to come in and do their job. In this vein, i would run Mantine instead of Suicune. You keep a Fire-check, a ZardY counter and a solid volcarona check, giving you the needed defog, also having great defensive sinergy with ferrothorn and camel to back it up. If You make this change, then You could run stealth rock with ferrothorn, instead of Spikes, and run HP Ice in camel to lure in shit like zygarde and garchomp. Also, this change takes off pressure from Koko and Hawlucha to Revenge kill volcarona.

However, the Main change of running Mantine, doesnt fix your threaslist, so it is up to you. Another thing, could be run a Bold Clefable with Magic Guard, this gives You a check to Loppuny and Medicham, also dealing pretty good with Mew and improving your matchup vs stall being able to set up stealth rock as M-Sableye scares away.

I'll include sets latter today :) good luck Buddy and i hope this suggestion may be useful :)
Hey, thanks for the rate and sorry for the late reply, while I do appreciate the rate, I'm not sure if it is the best idea.

1) Koko really needs U-turn, not only is it an amazing move for bringing Camel or Kyurem-B but also for escaping Duggy, if anything you could go with Roost over HP Fire, but I still feel like the coverage it provides is more useful in the long run.

2) Mantine does alleviate the Sticky Web + Mega Pinsir issue, but in the first place, Mantine would struggle to Defog against Pinsir, so it isn't even the best awnser anyways, also, Suicune is a lot more bulkier on the physical side, allowing me to deal with Landorus-T, Garchomp and Tyranitar way better. Lastly, Mantine checks mostly Special Attackers, which it fails to damage because of how passive it is, unlike Suicune that can Scald Burn everything that it can take a hit from, so overall, while Mantine does ease the matchup versus Webs a bit, I feel like Suicune is overall better.

So i tested this team out thinking it was some fire shit. couple of issues tho:
  1. this team struggles with the main ground pokemon in the tier. they basically can get a free set up and sweep you.
  2. hazards, this team struggles greatly against spike stacking teams
I think you might like tangrowth over ferrothorn to help handle those threats better. Im not entirely sure how to handle spike stacking but zygarde is definitely a huge issue for the team

So i tested this team out thinking it was some fire shit. couple of issues tho:
  1. this team struggles with the main ground pokemon in the tier. they basically can get a free set up and sweep you.
  2. hazards, this team struggles greatly against spike stacking teams
I think you might like tangrowth over ferrothorn to help handle those threats better. Im not entirely sure how to handle spike stacking but zygarde is definitely a huge issue for the team
Thanks for the input :) I like that you considered my team to be fire shit lol!

1. Not really, Suicune threatens Lando-T, Garchomp and Zygarde with Scald and even if it does get out of control you can always sac Koko and allow Hawlucha to outspeed and KO after some damage from Suicune. I have to agree, they are indeed a threat, but not ubeatable for sure.
2. Yeah, this is true but I had some trouble trying to fit a Deffoger / Spinner in, but at least I have Spikes of my own, so its not that bad.
3. Tangrwoth might be interesting, but loosing Spikes doesn't feel like the best idea imo, Zygarde is indeed a threat, but Devastating Drake would still be able to overcome Tang, so idk, if it is the best option :P

I started using this team a few days ago. It's amazing. I feel like Tapu Koko + Hawlucha is cheating almost. Usually people send in Ferrothorn thinking it will wall Hawlucha, when in reality it just gives me a free setup opportunity.

Hawlucha is a beast. When I bring him out and sweep the team, I feel like I'm doing the 4-move checkmate in chess. It's too easy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)