Attitude Adjustment

Status
Not open for further replies.

EV

Banned deucer.
Approved by Hollywizzle and Arctizzleblizzle

Tired of losing Speed ties when it matters the most? Tired of that pivotal OHKO falling short by only a few hit points? Tired of getting OHKO'd by only a few hit points? Then Attitude Adjustment is the metagame for you.

In this metagame, natures (AKA attitudes, get it?) are increased by a bonus percentage when a Pokemon with the corresponding type carries that nature. For example, Adamant Grass-types now will receive a 20% bonus to Attack while eating a 20% drop in Special Attack, but all other Adamant Pokemon keep the regular +10%/-10%.

But there's 20 natures and only 18 types. What gives? Hold on and I'll tell you. Two of the natures, Lax and Gentle, will remain the same. I decided on them because they are arguably the worst competitively in most cases and I didn't want to saddle any type with them.

What about Pokemon that change type via an ability like Protean or Color Change; or through Camouflage or Conversion; or Mega Evolution? According to The Immortal, due to coding restrictions the +20/-20 is factored in for their base type only, meaning Greninja will only ever benefit from Timid or Naughty.

Here's the full breakdown: (pairings were randomly selected out of a hat)

So how will this affect the metagame besides just an extra dose of stats? Speed is the biggest winner here, allowing Rock, Ghost, Fairy, and Dark Pokemon to win every speed tie against their same tiers. For the sake of a Speed-related example, remember Choice Scarf Tyranitar? A Jolly ScarfTar used to hit 364 with max investment, letting it get the jump on 252+ base 115s. Now it hits 397, comfortably outspeeding 252+ base 130s. The difference is pretty significant.

But who would run ScarfTar this gen when it can Mega Evolve now? That's what Attitude Adjustment is about: encouraging players to run the nature that benefits that type the most and in the process coming up with new strategies and techniques.

What are some other examples?
  • Modest is a nice boon for Gengar, but Naive may be even better. A drop in Special Defense feels not so terrible when you know you're always going to outspeed base 110s with max investment (assuming no Scarf Latios*.)
  • Quiet Magnezone rly? New Special Attack of 430+Analytic+Choice Specs-Speed=just guaranteed a 2HKO somewhere
  • Calm was already pretty standard on Heatran and now it's even bulkier with no drawbacks. But it can also run Bold, too, should it need to improve its physical bulk. Either way it doesn't care about the drop in Attack.
  • *Speaking of Scarf, now that Latios got a buff to its Special Attack, it might look better with Choice Specs instead.
  • Did the blob need any more improvements? Well it got some anyway thanks to its pairing with Relaxed. The drop in Speed is pretty paltry when you consider Chansey's boost is augmented by Eviolite, letting it take extra advantage of its new defensive buff. 252 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-B Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 294-346 (41.7 - 49.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO whereas before it had a 33% chance to 2HKO.
Attitude Adjustment is pretty much a variation of OU and should have that overall feel with just enough tweaks to make old threats morph and new threats arise. Fans of OU and Theorymon may be drawn to it because of that, but I hope it still appeals to other OM players, too. Also, it plays with standard clauses and banlists. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Ok some pokemon that got nerfed to hell:
Nearly all electric types
psychics LOL@zam
Sylveon and Florges
Most ice types
Most flying types
Will add mroe in the morning,

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Speedy Aegi FTW. With a Naive nature, it hits 262 Speed, which is exactly 1 point above Adamant Gyarados.
Belly Drum Azumarill might want to run a Naughty nature now. Although the decrese in special defense is risky, hitting a ludicrous 477 Attack seems well worth it. Or it go go the fast route and sport a Hasty nature and hit 238 Speed, which Rotom-W now needs to sacrifice half its bulk to outspeed.
Jolly Terrakion now hits 378 Speed, outspeeding Greninja by one point and basically everything else with a Scarf.
Oh and offensive MVenu looks amazing.

Speedy Aegi FTW. With a Naive nature, it hits 262 Speed, which is exactly 1 point above Adamant Gyarados.
Belly Drum Azumarill might want to run a Naughty nature now. Although the decrese in special defense is risky, hitting a ludicrous 477 Attack seems well worth it. Or it go go the fast route and sport a Hasty nature and hit 238 Speed, which Rotom-W now needs to sacrifice half its bulk to outspeed.
Jolly Terrakion now hits 378 Speed, outspeeding Greninja by one point and basically everything else with a Scarf.
Oh and offensive MVenu looks amazing.
unscarfed jolly Terrakion doesn't outspeed greninja if it has a hasty nature

also: 100th post! woo hoo!

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
unscarfed jolly Terrakion doesn't outspeed greninja if it has a hasty nature

also: 100th post! wo ho!
Ah, well spotted, although it's Timid not Hasty. Speaking of, Greninja seems fantastic in this metagame nice it hits 411 Speed, enabling it to outspeed the likes of Mega Manectric.

EV

Banned deucer.
Keep in mind that when a Timid Greninja changes into another type than Dark its Speed will drop.

EV

Banned deucer.
How'd that go? I'm not sure if it's possible to change nature mechanics during a battle.
I don't know. I just assumed that if a type no longer agreed with the corresponding nature it would go back to normal 10/10.
So Timid Greninja starts with 20/20 because it's part Dark, right? Uses Ice Beam, changes to Ice-type and even though it's still Timid, it no longer gets the 20/20 because it lost its Dark-typing so it goes down to 10/10.
The Immortal can you weigh in on the coding, too?

I don't know. I just assumed that if a type no longer agreed with the corresponding nature it would go back to normal 10/10.
So Timid Greninja starts with 20/20 because it's part Dark, right? Uses Ice Beam, changes to Ice-type and even though it's still Timid, it no longer gets the 20/20 because it lost its Dark-typing so it goes down to 10/10.
The Immortal can you weigh in on the coding, too?
It's not possible to do with the current code. I suggest banning abilities and moves that change types.

EV

Banned deucer.
It's not possible to do with the current code. I suggest banning abilities and moves that change types.
After talking with TI, I clarified this in the OP. Pokemon will keep their bonus for their base types only due to coding. This means you can't run a Mild Ampharos to receive the extra Special Attack boost when it mega evolves and gains Dragon for example.

Couldn't you code it so if you are compatible with the bonus and debuff, it can't go away and you can't get another? Of course i don't know how to code so it might be harder than i think.

SpartanMalice

Y'all jokers must be crazy
Great idea, the metagame. It's just the name I don't like since I don't like Cena but eh, that doesn't matter :p and it fits, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)