Ash-Greninja Discussion

Seems to me that BB Greninja will be used as a revenge killer in conjunction with a STAB Z-move to activate BB. If move tutors make a return at some point in a future game, one addition that would make for some interesting mind games would be allowing BB Greninja to learn Pursuit.

Since most will be expecting a Z-move nuke, any Pokemon not sporting protect or an equivalent will likely switch into something that can better absorb the hit. Pursuit not only would grant the STAB and ensure a KO in most cases for a revenge kill but it could also free up an item slot for Life Orb that a Z-Crystal would occupy. This could keep teams guessing between what kind of a Greninja they are up against: Protean, BB w/Z crystal, BB w/LO.

Not quite the mind games that the Charizard guessing game played in OU but should be interesting nonetheless depending on BB Greninja's actual viability in this Gen's competitive scene.

For non pursuit BB Greninja we are currently stuck with (and seemingly no access to Gunk shot), it could either buy your team a spikes or toxic spikes set up by Protean Greninja if the opposing team has a slower Mon and switches or protects to avoid the Nuke (in suspicion that your Protean Greninja was a BB)

Last edited:

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just a reminder: Though we encourage competitive discussion in these threads, please do not make arguments about whether something is likely to be banned. That's a later step in the process and is for tiering councils and suspect tests, not prerelease speculation.

My question is will it be treated as a separate pokemon from Greninja? So will it have to follow the tier Protean Greninja is in like Torrent Greninja? Technically it's just a Greninja with a different ability.

My question is will it be treated as a separate pokemon from Greninja? So will it have to follow the tier Protean Greninja is in like Torrent Greninja? Technically it's just a Greninja with a different ability.
by coding it's fundamentally a whole nother pokemon, though it retains all the same stats and the name/level-up. I think separate tiering would be appropriate, since Ash-Greninja can only run BB. It would be a separate form just like lando/torn/thund in all essence. it just doesn't look different

by coding it's fundamentally a whole nother pokemon, though it retains all the same stats and the name/level-up. I think separate tiering would be appropriate, since Ash-Greninja can only run BB. It would be a separate form just like lando/torn/thund in all essence. it just doesn't look different
Oh right I wasn't thinking about therians, it's basically the same thing. That's cool because I really want to use it outside Ubers.

Do we know if the Battle Bond transformation works like Meloetta's where if you switch it out in a battle, it reverts to the standard form? I just don't want to use U-Turn for the first time with this, only to get a disappointing surprise.

Oh right I wasn't thinking about therians, it's basically the same thing. That's cool because I really want to use it outside Ubers.
Yeah! I'm just viewing it from the perspective of someone on showdown. If you pick Greninja, you are inherently not picking Ash-Greninja because standard Greninja has torrent/torrent/protean as its ability set. Ash-Greninja (a separate option) only has battle bond/battle bond/battle bond. So they physically couldn't both occupy Greninja's standard slot anyway

Do we know if the Battle Bond transformation works like Meloetta's where if you switch it out in a battle, it reverts to the standard form? I just don't want to use U-Turn for the first time with this, only to get a disappointing surprise.
Nope, demo and gameplay already show Ash-Greninja's form is kept throughout the whole battle, regardless of switching. Just like a mega evolution

Is this Battle Spot legal?
I would suppose it depends on whether you mean free or rated battles. Any legal Pokémon are usable in free battles, but rated battles do have their own bans, and I am assuming BB Greninja will be on that list.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)