Apprentice Program: Round Eighty Six

Status
Not open for further replies.
Username: AGuyWithPants
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: PS name :- VeryNiceName
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: All times except from 3AM - 3 PM +5:30 GMT
What tier do you want to learn?: OU
Tell us a little about yourself: I started competitive about 2 years ago but was never good at it due to having little time as well as not really paying attention. Now I want to learn about the many different styles of battling and how the metagame evolves as well as to learn how to play correctly and predict what your opponent is about to do. Last, I do want to become more active with this community and I feel that this is a way that can me me merge with everyone here.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Sure.
Are you interested in playing for the Round 84 Tutee Tournament?: Yes.
Brief explanation of why I should be tutored if I have fewer than 25 posts: I am not very active on the forums as I'm really shy honestly. I do want to improve so that I can help other people as well and be more active.

I WAS SKIPPED IN ROUND 84

Username: GoldNinja
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: MrThEsTaN (on Showdown)
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: Central Standard Time (GMT -6) Available later at night. Let's say... 10:00 or later.
What tier do you want to learn?: XY OU
Tell us a little about yourself: I got into battling early/mid BW after seeing my first competitive battles in DPP on youtube. I started off on Pokemon Online but quickly switched to Showdown once I discovered it. I had some limited success towards the end of BW, when I managed to put a team together that won 18 out of its first 20 battles and got over 2100 on the ladder. That was a long time ago and based more on luck than anything else. Once I began to face quality opponents and Keldeo was introduced, I completely fell apart and reverted back to my losing tendencies at the end of the generation. I have adjusted poorly to the XY metagame, only hovering around 1300. Teambuilding is by far my biggest weakness. When I had my high rating in BW, my team just happened to be a good counter to the current OU metagame. Most of the time, including now, I have lots of trouble developing strategies and teams when the metagame shifts/new Pokemon are introduced.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Absolutely.
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?: Yes, I've always wanted to do one of these.
EXPLANATION:
I'm no novice to Smogon or battling; training me should be relatively easy. I learn quickly, and am frustrated with my weaknesses as a trainer. I joined Smogon recently because I want to be able to contribute, specifically to CAP projects, and I feel like I can do a much better job if I know how to build a proper team and adjust to new banlists and Pokemon.

Username: Buckmuligan
Pokemon Showdown: KING BUCK
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT+2, About 16:00pm to 20:00pm
Tell us about yourself: I have played pokemon since I was 10 or so, but in terms of competitive game, I have started in this gen . I'm an not an experienced player and my metagame knowledge is not very strong. I would really like to expand this knowledge and improve both my skills in team building (it actually sucks) and in battling (my ladder in showdown is always between 1300 and 1400). I've just finished my degree in English Language and literature and a course in Teaching and now I will have plenty of time to dedicate myself to my hobbies. In smogon I have been more a reader than a poster, in fact I signed up yesterday but I have been visiting this site for a couple of years.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Actually I don't really know what it is, but yes.
Are you interested in playing for the Round 85 Tutee Tournament?: Sure

Regarding the question of why I should be tutored without having 25 posts I must tell that at the momento I do not feel that my knowledge is strong enough to actually hel otrher people. I have been trying to learn by reading the forum, and in fact I have learnt a some things, but now I feel that the interaction with an experienced tutor will help me more. Thanks!

Last edited:
Username: ShibaWiz
Age: 26 (Looking at all the other ages I suddenly feel old)
Pokemon Showdown Username: ShibaWiz
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: 8pm - 11 pm (weekdays) and 10 am - 11 pm (weekends) UTC +1
What tier do you want to learn?: XY OU Doubles
Tell us a little about yourself: Been playing Pokemon ever since Red & Blue. Though only started to play the competitive part after X&Y release and discovering Pokemon Showdown, been enjyoing it ever since. So much that I have to start my workday by playing a couple of matches before I leave home in the morning. :D Enjoy a challenge and enjoy to theory craft teams.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Definitely.
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?: Sure.

YOU MUST PROVIDE A BRIEF EXPLANATION OF WHY YOU SHOULD BE TUTORED IF YOU HAVE FEWER THAN 25 POSTS

Although I have a general concept of the vgc 2014 rules and gameplay I'd very much like to know more about xy OU doubles format as it seems even more fun, seeing as it's not limited to Kalos only.
And who better to learn from than the actual veterans and pros. Seeing Belgium doesn't have any tournaments (official or the odd unofficial) it's hard to meet up with more experienced ppl I thought it would be a good idea to try here.
(If we beat the US in the WC next week Nintendo might take notice and we might be hosting the vgc 2015 championships next year. :p)

Username: LEGOLAS / SOMALIA
Pokemon Showdown username: LORDOFTHERINGS91
Timezone: GMT+1
Tier: XY OU

Preferred tutor: NOG

Last edited:
Reactions: Nog
Username:Nightcore
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username:Nightcore
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: gmt +2, 3 pm to 10:00 pm
What tier do you want to learn?:XY OU
Tell us a little about yourself:'I've been playing pokemon since gold and silver, I entered the competitive scene after latias ban and began bw since 2011. unfortunately, I had to quit for important reasons as such my knowledge on the metagame is rather reduced and for this i'd like to join the tutor program.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?:yes
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?: why not

Username: Adversary
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: Adversary
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: +1 (usually all the afternoon)
What tier do you want to learn?: XY UU
Tell us a little about yourself: I have started playing this game in 2010, with BW incoming I lost the interest for it, I re-started playing 3 months ago with XY that seems a good-potencial mg
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: yes
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?: yes

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
Username: Piexplode
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: Piexplode [PS]/[Totoro]Piexplode [PO]
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: I'm from the UK [is that GMT or GMT+1 I never know] And I am active throughout the day from usually like 8am-11pmish
What tier do you want to learn?: XY OU Doubles and GSC OU would both be great options to me :)
Tell us a little about yourself: I've been playing this game for years, but I had a few year hiatus.. after that I've been playing for probably over a year now anyway. I'm a good XY Ubers player with a 2-2 UPL record [and will be playing in the final] and I'm well known in the RBY OU, XY Ubers, and XY Doubles community (but I'm not very good at doubles)
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Sure, I am active on the forums virtually daily.
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?: Sounds fun.

phil

could do worse
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Username: Phil
Pokemon Showdown Username: phil
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT +1/BST (I think, I'm in England), I'm normally around between about 4.30 and 7 on weekdays, as well as a lot of the time on weekends.
What tier do you want to learn?: XY RU
Tell us a little about yourself: I started Showdown and competitive mons around this time last year, I'm decent atm I guess but I've been trying to get into lower tiers more recently because I've been bored of ou and I found I really enjoyed RU and would like to get a bit better in it.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Sure, why not.
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?: If I'm not away by then

Last edited:
Username: Geopolitics
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: GeopoliticsYT
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday 1-4 PM, Thursday/Friday 1-11PM
Tell us a little about yourself: Hey, I'm Geopolitics, but you can call me Geo. I've picked Competitive Pokemon up in the final months of Gen 5, and was absolutely terrible. I've developed a little bit as a player (without help) and have made some surprisingly solid teams that can hold their own from 1400-1500 in OU. However, I feel that I’ve capped. I am not able to get reqs for suspect testing (and often come about 1000 pts short) and want to make it to the top 500 members of the ladder (which I’ve never done). Hopefully, with this program, I can improve :D
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Fosho.
Are you interested in playing for the Round 85 Tutee Tournament?: Heck yeah!
Why should I be tutored w/ less than 25 posts?: While I’m new to Smogon, I’m a relatively competent player. I’m in no way new to the gen 6 meta, I just need a way to hone my claws - I mean skills - as I feel that I’ve capped in a nasty way. If I am chosen, it’s not like I’m going to need tutoring on everything under the sun - just things to teach me a higher level of battling.

Skipped last round

Arkian

this is the state of grace
is a Contributor Alumnus
Username: Rohail
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: Rohail / Flarebot
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: Weekdays from around 10:00 a.m - 5:00 p.m GMT -5. Weekends are all over the place, but I can usually do mornings.
What tier do you want to learn?: ADV OU / DPP OU
Tell us a little about yourself: On Smogon, I'm a GP checker and a C&C mentor, and on PO I'm an OU QC member. I mostly play XY tiers and I'm fairly good at them, but I want to learn the older gens. I find ADV to be the most interesting old gen, with DPP close behind. I have already started to teambuild and play with some PO friends for both tiers, so I'm not completely new to them. I think that a tutoring session or two is all I need to master at least one of the older gens :)
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Yep
Are you interested in playing for the Round 85 Tutee Tournament?: Sure, but I'm usually too late to signup :/

Username: EpicNikolai
Shoddy Username: EpicNikolai
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: UTC - all day. Basically 24/7 (Really flexible). Might be exception a few days.
Tell us a little about yourself: In 2000 I got my first Pokemon game with Pokemon Red and have been a fan of the series ever since. I play on Showdown about every day and is active in the chat and play a lot. I have a general good knowledge about the game, and I am not bad by any means. My problem is that I am struggling to get better from here. I would appreciate someone who could help me improve so that I can win even more, and avoid doing unnecesary mistakes. Also, I could probably take some advice in Team Building if possible :) After over year on Showdown, I feel like the time is right to get this opportunity.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Yes
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?: Yes
YOU MUST PROVIDE A BRIEF EXPLANATION OF WHY YOU SHOULD BE TUTORED IF YOU HAVE FEWER THAN 25 POSTS: Well. I haven't been active on Smogon Forums since I have mainly used Showdown only for Battling and chatting to have fun. I updated my profile this week and are up to become active on Smogon Forums as well, and my plans for Showdown/Smogon are big in general, so I hope I'll get the chance to be tutored and hopefully improve. I really need this opportunity. Tutoring will help me out a lot. I know the time is right, and I really need this chance now.

Last edited:
Username: Orch
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: Orch
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: EST, any
What tier do you want to learn?: XY UU
Tell us a little about yourself: Hi. I play ubers exclusively rn. I'm looking to diversify my tier knowledge. XY UU seems like an excellent meta, unlike cancerous ou and ubers. So, I wanna get into that. :)
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: yeah sure
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?: no

Username: Ekans
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: Ekans647
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT -7 I am available anytime, however I'll alert the mentor is something comes up.
What tier do you want to learn?: XY OU & OU Monotype
Tell us a little about yourself: I started playing Pokemon when I was 5 years old, with Pokemon Sapphire. This was my first video game, and I still have 11 years later.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: I don't really know what it is, but sure.
Why should you be picked if under 25 posts: I've been battling competitively since 2012, but due to lack of skilled players in my region, I have no one to improve or train against. I am playing on Showdown however I perform inconsistently there. The reason I apply here is so I can learn more about the metagame and ladder on Showdown. Also, I find it hard to post here on smogon.

I was skipped in Round 85.

Username: Sir Red

Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: Berserkers

Your timezone and usual hours of availability: EST (GMT -5) I'm usually available from 12PM - 6PM and then 10PM - 2AM. Sometimes this may be off, so I will previously warn tutors of any extended absences.

What tier do you want to learn?: XY Doubles and VGC 2014

Tell us a little about yourself: Long-time Pokemon and general gaming fan. I've been lurking around Smogon since the Gen 5 days, only really getting into battling during BW2, however, I've played the games casually since Gold and Silver. I'm an experienced OU singles player and I'm looking to try out some doubles so that one day I can achieve my dreams of entering VGC's and not entirely embarrassing myself (xD). Most of my friends have recently turned to other games than Pokemon, so I have no one to play with, which I figured was a good time to learn a new meta.

Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?:No

YOU MUST PROVIDE A BRIEF EXPLANATION OF WHY YOU SHOULD BE TUTORED IF YOU HAVE FEWER THAN 25 POSTS.

I've lurked about Smogon for a long time while I was very into XY OU battling (Yes, I'm a new guy). Since then, singles has become boring and monotonous for me and I wanted a fresh metagame. The rules of VGC are nothing new to me, however, I want to be able to join in on the action instead of watching it from behind a computer screen. I'm a dedicated, trial-and-error worker, constantly experimenting with new teams. I'd really like to get one-on-one help from an experienced player and hone my skills a bit.

Username:fingerscrossed
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username:fingerscrossed
Your timezone and usual hours of availability:western USa
What tier do you want to learn?:xy ou
Tell us a little about yourself:I'm still p new, really only started playing at the end of gen five. :]
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?:sure
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?: uh sureeeee

Reactions: Nog
Username: Rob.
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: My ps username is Rob
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: EST, and the time varies, and really depends on if I want to go outside or stay in. Mostly free on weekends and weekdays from 5 - 11.
What tier do you want to learn?: OU, NU
Tell us a little about yourself: I'm still fairly new, I started playing competitively in BW2. I guess I'm a really chill person and easy to talk to.

Username:Quarkx
Pokemon Showdown Username:Quark
Your timezone and usual hours of availability:GMT Minus 5 (USA Central Time) Active from 2 PM to 10 PM
What tier do you want to learn?:XY OU
Tell us a little about yourself:I love playing Pokemon both competitive and non-competitive, and I want to find a way to both improve my Pokemon battling skills and kind of get into the Smogon community. While not playing Pokemon, I love cramming for tests and improving my class rank.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?:Of Course
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?:Sure
Explanation: Even though I have less than 25 posts, I do lurk around in the fourms alot, and I go on Showdown almost every day. Additionally i already know the basics of Pokemon, so I will be easy to teach. Finally, I want to find a platform to get out of the lurk zone and better contribute to the community.

Last edited:
Username: Awesomeceus
PS Username: Awesomeceus
Your timezone and usual hours of availabilty: GMT +8 (SE Asia), every weekends, Saturday afternoon and whole day Sunday
What tier do you want to learn: XY OU, XY Ubers
Tell us a little about yourself: Meh, stereotypical Asian, consistent honor student so I'm busy every weekday, I want to learn more about the ins of competitive battling, to be able to create efficient teams and utilize them with great skill.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads with you tutors: Absolutely.
Are you interested in playing for the round 86 Tutee Tournament: Sure, why not?
Under 25 Posts: 2 months before I made an account, I've been doing a fair amount of lurking so I know a little about Smogon's inner workings. I'm doing pretty well on Showdown but I feel that I need to learn a hell lot more in order to be of more help and to better me as a competitive battler overall.

Username: LzrGunPewPew
Pokemon Showdown Username: LzrGunPewPew
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: EST (GMT -4)
What tier do you want to learn?: XY Doubles
Tell us a little about yourself: Canadian student, got into Pokemon about 8 months ago, have been interested in it since. Would love to learn as much as I can.
Tutoring for under 25 posts: I'm very passionate and eager to learn, and have been wanting to learn the tier ever since I was told about it. I'm familiar with a lot of Smogon's policies and tiers.

Username: skrtel
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: skrtel
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: is summer i can easily adapt to everyones timezone. gmt +2
What tier do you want to learn?: dpp ou
Tell us a little about yourself: im spanish boy. i like football. ala madrid. i like beer and pkmn too. i want to practice dpp ou because is still relevants in tournament play.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: sure
Are you interested in playing for the Round 84 Tutee Tournament?: yes

i was skipped last 2 rounds (84 and 85)

I was skipped in Round Eighty Three

Username
: Mean Mr. Snorlax
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: Ya Boi MMS (PS)
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT -5, usually avaliable between 10 AM-1 AM.
Tell us a little about yourself: I'm a 14 year old boy from Chicago. I enjoy playing Soccer and Basketball. I ladder on PS on occasion, and regularly participate in OU room tournaments.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Sure
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?: Of course!

Why I should be tutored, despite having a measly 20 posts on this forum: I've been playing competitive pokemon since late 2010, though I've only gotten serious about it since XY came out. I have a decent understanding of the metagame already, and have received some pointers from friends that also do competitive, but I feel I could still learn plenty from being tutored. Being tutored would also help me post with higher quality and quantity on these forums.

Username: Fyrefoxx13
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: RQ13
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: I'm currently doing my final exams, so in a week i'll be free all day
What tier do you want to learn?: OU
Tell us a little about yourself: I want to learn :D
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament? Yes

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
pairings will be posted within the next couple of hours or so

EDIT:

Raseri - AGuyWithPants - OU
Manaphy - Bean - Ubers
Mizuhime - Minus - Doubles
Laga - malefic - Doubles
Reymedy - Quickbobhero - OU
Molk - Ekans - OU
Funkasaurus - horyzhnz - UU
youngjake93 - Seismitoad - Doubles
BKC - DSM01 - DPP
ShootingStarmie - Vacate - OU
Nog - Brytmonlee and LEGOLAS - OU
Pwnemon - Ununhexium - Doubles
Zebraiken - SteelEdges - NU
Dice - rot1npieces - OU
Hollywood - s_aman - NU
Ace Emerald - Mean Mr Snorlax - OU
col49 - Geopolitics - OU
Audiosurfer - Ninjosh - Doubles
DTC - Lost Soul - RU
Jio - Sir Red - VGC 14
Srn9130 - King UU - UU
Valentine - fingerscrossed - OU
macle - Maxite - LC
Cherub Agent - Paradiseh - RU
Reverb - Bostonl1 - OU
Fried Rhys - 13ulbasaur - OU
Goddess Briyella - Sunny. - LC
EonX - SoulSapphire - RU
Nova - Rohail - ADV
Calloflochie - morgie123 - UU
Bluwing - Smog Frog - UU
Edgar - TRC - Ubers
Steve Angello - Shaymin :D - Ubers
Fakes - Skrtel - DPP

If you're wondering why you got skipped over, you were a tad bit late in posting. Make sure you check the Battling 101 Schedule thread for the dates as to when we post signup threads. I'll make an effort to post the exact time of the signup thread at least a day in advance. And remember that if you got skipped over, you get priority in selection for the future round.

If your tutor or tutee goes inactive just let us know. A lot of tutors are on hiatus at the moment so unfortunately we probably won't be able to accommodate you for this round, so make sure you post in the next round that your tutor/tutee was inactive so you can get priority.

If you a dope ass nigga holla at yaboy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)