Other Metagames Anything Goes: SpecsXern is Better (Peak 1832, #33)

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hello world! In case looking at the name of a thread poster is heresy, I am Tiksi, who finally decided to dabble in AG again. With Reflect Ho-oh and Shedinja being pretty rip in this newfangled generation, I decided to play around with perennial powerhouse Xerneas. I've never liked Geomancy Xerneas for some reason, so I went with a the murderous Choice Specs and had some good fun. Also while I was making this RMT, I realized my SD Poisonceus had been Timid instead of Jolly until now so... that's a thing.

Teambuilding Process:

I started with the beautifully diverse Specs Xerneas + Specs Xerneas core. Aside from general typespam principles and the value of backups, doubling up one non-Geo set is not something you anticipate, and you can double-dip tech options (HP Fire/Ground v. HP Rock, Modest v. Timid).

Even with Grass Knot on both, the Pdon matchup was definitely suboptimal, so I added Defogger Arceus-Ground to switch into and Defog on most Pdon, as well as generally muck enemy plans with speed, okay power on Judgment, and recovery.

I needed more help against priority (especially Extreme Killer's), some priority of my own, and a revenge killer less worried about getting worn down during the job. An additional way to eliminate Ho-oh didn't hurt either. What's not to like?

All of these were helpless against a Xerneas post-Geomancy, so I knew I needed a strong response. I went with physical Poisonium Z Arceus-Poison, which does that without as severe reliance on avoiding chip as other answers while also generating a bit more offensive presence overall.

I'm generally much more of an Mray fan, but I liked Sub 3 Attacks Gar here to double-up on Marshadow's role but while preventing escape, better handling certain bulky threats, and constraining play.

After a while I felt that their relative lack of Speed made it harder for the twin Xerneas to typespam break than I expected, the trouble in getting locked into tech options hampered the value of having two sets, and that I could get more benefit from a slot. I chose Pdon for its multitudinous advantages like setting Rocks, handling Pogre better, and hitting hard both physically and specially thanks to Lava Plume.

After feeling that Mgar just wasn't making a meaningful enough contribution (and missing one critical Focus Blast too many), I went with mixed Mray to further improve my Pdon-killing, priority options, and general fearsome breaking power.

Without further ado, here is the team! Apologies if the descriptions are a pinch short/vague, this team has gotten pretty intuitive for me and there's also all the stuff above.

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 244 HP / 252 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Lava Plume
- Rock Tomb

Donicus Fatticus, dominant species of the prehistoric age. Poisonceus makes me less reliant on the SpD investment, but given its additional utility potential and the interests of general care, insurance is nice. I tried investing physically out of curiosity, but wasn't impressed. The first two moves shouldn't need much explanation. Lava Plume isn't balls off the wall powerful especially with Careful, but it covers all the holes so-to-speak (accuracy problems, phys reliance, FerroCele rudeness) to make him much harder to switch into. A lack of competing status here makes burn-fishing fine too. Rock Tomb is the cleanest way to axe Ho-oh, hits Mray tolerably, and exploits switching difficulties by making many entrants suddenly worse matchups against it and the team. It also foiled a Dbond Mgar which was hot. Investment creeps fellow slow base 90s.

Xerneas @ Choice Specs
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Grass Knot
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Rock]

The star of the team. Modest Specs Moonblast hits like a total truck, especially when you expect and have to prepare for Geomancy. Ability to use crushing power more than once is a great boon for more fluid offense. Good switchins are few and usually chippable (like Pdon) or vulnerable to other pressures (like Ho-oh). GK hits the primals (but it's not like Ogre likes taking these Moonblasts), Focus Blast hits Ferro/Steelceus hard, and HP Rock crushes Ho-oh after enough chip (e.g. that of floaty rocks).

Arceus-Ground @ Earth Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Judgment
- Ice Beam
- Recover

The invaluable Pdon answer. Max speed always outspeeds Pdon/unboosted Mray, Defog gives me hazard control even if I don't need it AS much as a Ho-oh-on-Xern setup, and it's easy to use after coming in on Pdon and forcing it out. Ice Beam hits Ray (especially on the switch) and offensive Ygod for something, and Recover not only is essential to handling Pdon but generally useful when that isn't as essential and I can switch it on other things.

Marshadow @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spectral Thief
- Close Combat
- Shadow Sneak
- Rock Tomb

What did you expect? Choice Specs?

The first three are basically mandatory except if you're using Sub Bulk Up (I want LO's immediate revenge killing power, as well as Poisinium below), Rock Tomb gives me yet another way to shred Ho-oh. Speed investment outpaces Ekiller of course and ties other Marshadow to try Sneaking them. This guy is a great check to SD Normalceus and Ghostceus that would otherwise give me huge problems, and if priority users also boost Speed (like DD Mray after an Ascent) he can fire off a strong Sneak. Good fellow, cute fellow.

Arceus-Poison @ Poisonium Z
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Poison Jab
- Earthquake
- Recover

You managed to get up a Geo on me? SIIIIKE I got my TRAP CARD!!! Besides that, surprisingly able glue mon due to usable defensive typing, natural bulk, and Recover. Poisonium Z is to ensure fulfillment of my GeoXernMustDie™ campaign, and Recover prevents most chip from blocking me from that goal. Standard coverage, SD lets me pressure (and somehow even threaten to sweep sometimes), especially when Pdon after a bit of chip stands in my way.

Rayquaza-Mega @ Life Orb
Ability: Delta Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- V-create
- Extreme Speed
- Draco Meteor

Fitting with the general theme of bludgeoning opponents into the ground, here is MixQuaza Lvl X. V-create is here since, especially without DD, ferro/cele/steelceus need to die ASAP. Espeed adds a greatly appreciated second source of priority, and Draco bolsters myself against Pdon (even with Groundceus, I've welcomed the help) as well as Zygarde.

Here are a few replays with the mostly final version of the team:
Highest Ladder Win: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-671433884
High Ladder 2, I indeed get a lucky crit, but after that... http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-671655811
Think I lost to Marsh's crit hax, but still fun game: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-671436897
One more replay: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-671440878

Hope you enjoyed, and let me know what you think of it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)