[AMA] Treecko

Status
Not open for further replies.
<treecko|away> man cherub why can't you be gay =(
<treecko|away> me you and nick would make
<treecko|away> the best gay trio
can you confirm

opinion on user insanedragoniteHD
opinion on user celever(and his 2k thread)
if your opinion on any of them is negative/something you dont like about them explain in a detailed para with proper grammar (preferably htmled)

why didnt you want a scrollin set =(
edit-wow i put such work into that and you reply with a one liner
such hurt

Last edited:
Hi there, I was hoping to write an article about berries in the metagame and in the outline I was hoping to include examples of effective berry strategy as well as two examples that particularly utilize the new Kee and Maranga berries.

I'm a little stuck here because I'm not sure if the pokemon I'm using for the Kee berry would be necessarily the best examples to utilize the berries effectively and I'm struggling to find a good pokemon to test out the Maranga (I was thinking maybe gourgeist or exeggutor )

As for the Kee berry well...here's my example:

Kee-ute charm Sylveon (I'm horrible)
Bold/calm @ Kee berry (EV spread is still debatable but so far sticking to 252 sp.atk/ 252 defense/ 4 sp.def)
Ability: cute charm (preferable with a female eevee)

- baton pass
-misty terrain
-moon blast
-Draining kiss/ hp ground

The strat: Kee berry acts as a cushion when sylveon switches in to boost it's mediocre defenses, preferably should the sylveon be switching onto a wish. This sylveon is built to take full advantage of cute charms annoying gimmick to go straight to draining kiss or general sweeping should it be used at the end of a baton chain for end game clean up. Misty terrain keeps para flinchers from trying to stall while baton pass exists to get sylveon out of sticky situations without sacrificing the stat gains or to pass the Kee buff to a stored power user like sygiliph or espeon.

I'm very nervous about writing things to do with making strat and I've literally seen little to no discussion about the Kee/Maranga berries apart from a little bit of research and a suggestion for an exeggutor set with Maranga. I was thinking of maybe posting this in the sylveon thread but at the same time I feel extremely intimidated by my lack of experience dealing with coming up with strategy and feel as though I might be immediately crushed should my strategy prove ineffective in execution.

Tl;dr: could you critique my Kee berry strat? Do you have any suggestions of where I could start digging for the Maranga berry considering many special bulks hoard lefties or assault vests?

Yeah, Kee and Maranga Berry aren't very good items. The issue with them is that they are one time use items. As soon as you switch out after using them, they're done for, and you will probably wish that you'd used a more consistent item such as Leftovers, which helps you out throughout the duration of your entire battle (unless it gets Knocked Off or Tricked, in which case it doesn't particularly matter what you had to begin with).

Baton Pass can help remedy this a tad, but it's important to remember that few Pokemon really appreciate a Defense boost in the long-run. If you're trying to help something sweep, it's going to want Speed and Attack/Special Attack boosts, and if you're trying to help something wall, you're better off just using something with good natural bulk and recovery and augment it by statusing the things it's trying to wall and providing opportunities for chip damage with stuff like entry hazards, Leech Seed, sandstorm, etc.

Probably the worst part about those two items is that they are tailored to help Pokemon with lower Defense or Special Defense, but require them to take a hit from the spectrum that they lack in. This means that you're forced to switch in your special wall on a physical attack or vice-versa, when ideally you'd be switching something with bulk in the stat that you're walling.

Unfortunately as it stands you're kind of trying to make something work that just won't work. Underrated items and strategies are always really cool to talk about, but they need to be usable as well.

Favorite Mega-evolution?
What do you want to be when you grow up?
What got you into the mentorship program?
Who is your favorite DBZ character?

What is your least favorite food?
Who is your least favorite Smogon user?
If you could have any badge you don't already which would it be?
shitty vegetables (cauliflower, broccoli, artichoke). I love a lot of vegetables, but those ones make me sick.

dunno.

there is none.

Favorite Mega-evolution?
What do you want to be when you grow up?
What got you into the mentorship program?
Who is your favorite DBZ character?
Yanmega, Mega Absol, and Mega Banette all tie for first

drunk

I just really like everything it's about. Helping new users get acquainted to the site makes everyone's time on the site better, and the gratitude from them is fantastic.

I don't watch DBZ, but I liked Trunks when I was growing up

why r u so cool
I was born this way baby.

Yeah, Kee and Maranga Berry aren't very good items. The issue with them is that they are one time use items. As soon as you switch out after using them, they're done for, and you will probably wish that you'd used a more consistent item such as Leftovers, which helps you out throughout the duration of your entire battle (unless it gets Knocked Off or Tricked, in which case it doesn't particularly matter what you had to begin with).

Baton Pass can help remedy this a tad, but it's important to remember that few Pokemon really appreciate a Defense boost in the long-run. If you're trying to help something sweep, it's going to want Speed and Attack/Special Attack boosts, and if you're trying to help something wall, you're better off just using something with good natural bulk and recovery and augment it by statusing the things it's trying to wall and providing opportunities for chip damage with stuff like entry hazards, Leech Seed, sandstorm, etc.

Probably the worst part about those two items is that they are tailored to help Pokemon with lower Defense or Special Defense, but require them to take a hit from the spectrum that they lack in. This means that you're forced to switch in your special wall on a physical attack or vice-versa, when ideally you'd be switching something with bulk in the stat that you're walling.

Unfortunately as it stands you're kind of trying to make something work that just won't work. Underrated items and strategies are always really cool to talk about, but they need to be usable as well.
Ah, I see. You brought up my entire issue as a whole and hit the nail on the coffin xD. I'm still going to write about my berries, but I definitely see your point and will probably not be able to use Kee or Maranga examples at all (a shame as I liked some of the concepts...it'd have been nice if they had done what the super effective berries did and activated before the attack.) anywho, thanks for the help again!

Oh, these two just popped into my head, hope you don't mind if I ask more in such a short time.

Do you like NU the most compared to other tiers? Why or why not?

How tall are you?

Used to love NU, still like it a lot, but I'm moving onto XY. BW in general is just kind of worse than XY lol.

6' flat

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
are there 10 people more deserving than you to be a smod onsite right now or am i forgetting someone and it's really 11?

if i were to try and make an lc team what would you recommend?

who is your favorite doubles player with a username that has 11 letters and begins with an a?

really though how many places do you mod?

are there 10 people more deserving than you to be a smod onsite right now or am i forgetting someone and it's really 11?

if i were to try and make an lc team what would you recommend?

who is your favorite doubles player with a username that has 11 letters and begins with an a?

really though how many places do you mod?
it's actually 12

Bunnelby. Aside from that, try out Pawniard. It's really good right now. :)

Agreeing with Lolkomori

all of them I guess, including Suggestion Box ;)

Ok so i am gonna appologize for this befor hand but i am gonna ask a real question, Is there a thread/ convo devoted to theory mons (not cap) just something for people to post ideas that they think would be interesting

Ok so i am gonna appologize for this befor hand but i am gonna ask a real question, Is there a thread/ convo devoted to theory mons (not cap) just something for people to post ideas that they think would be interesting
I don't believe so. If I find anything, I'll let you know.

Do you have any advice for someone looking to get involved in C&C?
Oh boy, this was so much easier for me to do in gen 5. Bear with me.

C&C is a super cool part of the site, but it has a lot of very technical aspects to it that can get really overwhelming. The first thing I would recommend when you go to reserve a Pokemon, however, would be to make sure you've used that Pokemon and that you know what it does, what works, what doesn't, how to play with it, etc. Experience is really crucial in C&C, and the only people who can pull off writing analyses for Pokemon that they haven't used a ton are ones who have played the metagame a ton and just know what works and what doesn't. After you've figured out what Pokemon you want to write about based off of this, make sure you understand all the crazy formatting. To be totally honest, you don't have to understand the formatting so long as you follow it. Still, you can read over the new formatting here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/generation-6-analysis-format.3495073/ There's an copy/paste-able structure towards the bottom of the first post which you can use.

From there, it's just following along with the skeleton and filling in the blanks with bullet points. Other important things to remember in C&C is that QC teams (the people who advise you on your skeleton and eventually approve it), have experience in the metagame, and their advice is generally solid. If you disagree with them, so long as you're willing to justify your decisions and cooperate, you should be fine. Sometimes something that you think is good will need to be cut, and walking into the process with a superiority complex (I know what I'm doing, everyone else needs to listen to me and not the other way around) is a really good way to ensure that you won't be able to work in C&C.

Basically, as long as you know what you're doing, you follow the structure and formatting, and you're willing to cooperate with QC, you'll be fine. If you have any specific questions about the C&C process, message me, and I'll be happy to respond to whatever you need help with.

What's your favorite meta?

Favorite mon in that meta?

Meta you'd like to get into?

Fav member from this year?

Any way to rephrase that last question and this question so it's the same length as the others?

What should my next avi be?

What's your favorite meta?

Favorite mon in that meta?

Meta you'd like to get into?

Fav member from this year?

Any way to rephrase that last question and this question so it's the same length as the others?

What should my next avi be?
favorite meta is BW NU hail meta

favorite mon in that meta was easily Rotom-Frost

meta I'd like to get into is MIDDLE CUP, but we need a more active playerbase before that can be a thing. if anyone wants to get into it, the thread is here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/middle-cup.3494887/

favorite member of the year is really, really hard. I'll just give a few special mentions! Shame That and SteelEdges both get a shoutout for being really hard workers on PS and as mentors, tennisace gets a shoutout for being a really great friend as well as a hard worker, and HispanicPanic gets a shoutout for being a really cool new user who should get more active. sorry if I didn't mention anyone who deserves it; I'm friends with a lot of people on this site who work really hard, and all the work every does is hugely appreciated!

I don't think so :(

a Bunnelby for sure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)