[AMA] MikeDecIsHere

Status
Not open for further replies.

This Ask Me Anything (AMA) thread is a resource provided to you by the Smogon Mentorship Program. In it, feel free to ask this mentor about anything you'd like. They're most prepared to answer Smogon-related questions, but don't be afraid to ask them about their personality and life outside of this site. Have some patience when you post a question in this thread; it will likely take the mentor a few days to reply. If you're looking for our up-to-date list of mentors, check out our Mentor Profiles onsite. Read through their relevant information below, and enjoy!

Username: MikeDecIsHere

Areas of Expertise: Smogon Youtube, Smogcast, Tournaments, Pokemon Showdown, Congregation of the Masses

Background: I used to run the Smogon Youtube channel, as well as revived the now ever popular smogcasts. I used to also be incredibly active in the tournament scene. Currently, my contributions to the site are modding the PS! server and being active in Cong (rip A Forum), as well as throwing a rare rate every so often in the RMT forum.

Hobbies: I was a college varsity tennis player. Now I coach a high school girls tennis team, and sing / play guitar in my free time.

Favorite Pokemon: Fennekin is so freaking cute omg

Good Questions to Ask Me: You can ask me whatever you want really. I've been around in almost every part of Smogon minus like C&C, so I can answer whatever. I don't frequent IRC all too often (I don't even have status in #mentor lol), so this is the best place to ask me things.

Last edited:
Where can I post an incomplete team asking for advice on the last 2 slots?
The Rate My Team section is where you would go in order to get team advice. However, there really isn't a section for "incomplete" teams. Your best bet is just to try things out until you think you have an idea of what you want the team to somewhat look like, and then post a thread to ask for help. Before you post a thread though, make sure to read the rules so your thread doesn't get deleted!

The Rate My Team section is where you would go in order to get team advice. However, there really isn't a section for "incomplete" teams. Your best bet is just to try things out until you think you have an idea of what you want the team to somewhat look like, and then post a thread to ask for help. Before you post a thread though, make sure to read the rules so your thread doesn't get deleted!

Okay thank you!

What is college like?

Would you recommend living in New York?

If I were forced to go gay, you would totally get it. No homo.

:toast:

What is college like?

Would you recommend living in New York?

If I were forced to go gay, you would totally get it. No homo.

:toast:
1) College is what you make of it really. It's a lot of work at times, and you need to be really careful not to let it all gather up or it can bite you in the ass. Work wise, no one is there to hold your hand, so what you put into it is what you get. Socially, it's the same thing. You need to make an effort to go out and meet people, which can be intimidating if you're not used to it (my high school graduating class was 37, so it was definitely tough for me). But for me, college was an amazing experience socially, and I've made friends there that will hopefully last a lifetime. It's also significantly easier to meet women in college than the real world, so enjoy that while you can.

2) If you're referring to Manhattan, part-time for like a summer or something, absolutely. For an extended period of time, probably not. It's an awesome experience to go to NYC, especially if you've never been there before. However, the city can be a bit overwhelming sometimes, especially if you're not used to metropolitan life. In addition, rent is fucking expensive, no matter where you are living. Night life can be cool though, if you know the right places.

3) I'm not gay though, so I would decline your advances.

McMeghan

Dreamcatcher
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the 5th Smogon Classic Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 14 Championis a defending SPL Championis a Past SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
What was your favorite tournament?
You don't have to answer tho, I know it's the one we won :heart:

What was your favorite tournament?
You don't have to answer tho, I know it's the one we won :heart:
Haha of course stud.

My favorite tournaments are ones that heavily involve team elements. WCOP and SPL are really great because its a lot more entertaining to play this game as a team than by yourself. Even though I didn't actively attempt to be a part of metro's roster (how can I beat the sun lord???), testing, helping team build, and coming up with different strategies is a fantastic experience, and really can help you develop as a player if you need to learn how to play/defeat certain play styles.

Thoughts about this battle?
Speed Tie turn 1, which basically ruined any chance I had of winning.

My team also gets fucked by Cloyster, so that didn't really help either.

Shofu is actually a friend of mine, so if you were trying to imply something with that, I don't really care.

What is the best advice you can give to people looking to get involved in livecasting for smogon?
I tried thinking of a single "best advice" I could give, but there are a few that I think really stand out, so I'll just say them all.

1) You need a good microphone. It's apparent from our recent XY live battle video that microphone quality matters (EVERY single comment was mentioning how they hated the audio). Logitech headsets are cheap, and provide a decent enough microphone quality where our viewers won't want to hate us. If you're including visual apsects (live smogcasts), then you need a good camera or webcam as well. Remember, the viewers really matter more.

2) Charisma goes a long way. There are many times when I would begin watching a cast or video, only to immediately turn it off about two minutes in due to incredibly monotone speaking. You should feel like you're having a conversation with someone when you're making the video, so try to show a bit of personality when making these things.

3) Don't use offensive language. We're Pokemon players, let's be real. Seeing someone who looks like they could be stuffed in a locker during school (no offense to some people) shout "nigga" over and over again is the saddest thing, and we honestly don't want to possibly offend any of our audience, since we most likely have children watching. Cursing should also be avoided to an extent.

4) Know what you're talking about or want to talk about before the video. It helps smooth things along during to avoid dead space, and you don't want to look silly trying to come up with what to say. Most casts usually have a predetermined list of topic, so you can ask the host for them so you can begin thinking about it.

Regime

the party is December 18th
is an Artist Alumnus
Hey. I'm not really new, but I'm just starting to get active. I'm really interested in art. I run top JV Cross Country for my school (I'm a Freshman). Im luckily popular, but my secret is I like Taylor Swift's songs. Red is my favorite. I do Chorus and I just got into my magircal group (idk if i spelled that right) and my dream is to get into the accapella group. I'd like a mentor who shares the same interests, as your self, and I want to get into Smogon more. Please Respond, Agous. :)

Favorite generation of competitive pokemon and why?

Favorite movie of all time?

Fuck, Marry Kill: Mila Kunis, Jennifer Aniston, Scarlett Johansson

ADV OU, because most of the time, you need to simply be better than your opponent to win.

Favorite movie is the Notebook. Yes I am serious.

I actually think Mila Kunis is pretty over rated, so I would probably go with the following:
Fuck Jennifer Anniston. If you saw horrible bosses, you know why.
Marry Scarlett Johansson: Trophy wife!!!! (actually Trophy husband obviously)
Kill Mila Kunis: I would fuck her, but here she's dead weight.

Tokyo Tom

Somewhere between psychotic and iconic
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Necroposting, mb -
Do you follow the ATP? If so what did you think of Stan the man's breakthrough, and do you think he's got any more in him?

Ah, the Tokyo Tom :]

I do, and I did watch Stan's victory over Nadal, even though it was a rather unfortunate way to win a Grand Slam.

Stan is a very up and down player. There are days when he seems like he's a god (like the Djokovic match), and there are times when he plays abysmally. I think he's done a much better job maintaining the highs now than he has in the past, and if he continues the way he does, then he definitely could win some more big tournaments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)