[AMA] Arcticblast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Can I have dibs on Middle Cup XY thread when you let me post all of my amazing ideas that other people came up with forever ago?
If Zystral doesn't want to do it (since he made the original Middle Cup), then sure.

Favorite Kalos Pokemon?
Probably one of either Aurorus, Aromatisse or Pumpkaboo.

Favorite LC Kalos bunny?
loaded question imo

What are some good general teambuilding tips for OMs? I realize that no two OMs are super similar, but whenever I teambuild for new OMs, I spend about an hour theorymonning all of these awesome sets and no time actually constructing a well-rounded team. Specifically, my question is: how do you stay on track when you teambuild for OMs considering how many possibilities there always are?
The best thing to do is to keep an open mind. There can only be minute differences in ruleset between two OMs, but that minor difference in theory can make a big difference in play (i.e. Middle Cup vs. NFE or STABmons vs. Ability Bridge). There's a lot of stuff out there that gets a lot better in a given OM, and you shouldn't be afraid to try it - but don't swear by all new Pokemon; sometimes the classics are still the best.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Don't waste your 4k, by all means have at it. I still play Middle Cup, but I don't think I could pioneer it and be a tier leader.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
How are you coping with your arctic blast atm?

What metagame will become official next in your opinion? Why?

What is your least favourite OM atm? Why?

Arcticblast

is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
What are your tips for anyone trying to get into Doubles? (totally not a personal question I promise)
lose to me

Kind of the same as getting into any other metagame - lurk a bit and find out what works then hit the ladder.
Whether you're looking to get into the metagame or just the Doubles crowd, definitely join #doubles. We all hang out there for the better part of the day (most of the time) and if you have questions or just want to chat we can help :)
How are you coping with your arctic blast atm?

What metagame will become official next in your opinion? Why?

What is your least favourite OM atm? Why?
1. Currently by bragging to my brothers about how I'm home for winter and they have this last week of school left - fuck yeah college.

2. I can't see any metagame becoming official even for the next generation unless we get Triples, and even then I don't see triples having nearly the same popularity as Doubles did before it became official.

3. I can't really say I've had a least favorite, but I dislike most mods because literally everything is changed in its own specific way and it's hard to keep track of it all...
Why you hate Stantler :( ?
(Faced you yesterday)

Thanks and have a nice day! :P
I don't hate Stantler, I just gaze down upon it in disapproval.
Why are you Farcticblast
why does your username describe your head so accurately

How do you feel about the doubles meta-game centralizing itself on "archetypes"? Yeah I know there is "goodstuffs" and the idea behind it, but it has always seemed to me in doubles that the "archetype" style teams always end bringing more to the table and being more powerful. By archetype I am referring to the weathers+trick room. The weathers especially fall prey to this: passively the opponent can gain a team wide advantage "pre-turn 1." Meanwhile you have to spend turn 1 with at least one of your pokemon: a. spending 1 pokemon's turn reversing the weather effect b. switching to reset the effect. The opponent essentially pins down a Pokemon without really doing anything while having a complimentary threat right on your toes in addition to the weather starter itself.

Mega-Charizard Y is the best example I have of this. His Mega Evolution essentially acts as a passive priority Sunny Day. Its not that you do not have the options for the threat, its that you have to respond to it while the opponent gets a free go. It's akin to white going first against black in chess.

Last edited:
To be good in OMs is necessary being good in standard metas (OU, etc...)?

To make a new OM is necessary know about coding and programming stuff?

Arcticblast

/lateresponses
How do you feel about the doubles meta-game centralizing itself on "archetypes"? Yeah I know there is "goodstuffs" and the idea behind it, but it has always seemed to me in doubles that the "archetype" style teams always end bringing more to the table and being more powerful. By archetype I am referring to the weathers+trick room. The weathers especially fall prey to this: passively the opponent can gain a team wide advantage "pre-turn 1." Meanwhile you have to spend turn 1 with at least one of your pokemon: a. spending 1 pokemon's turn reversing the weather effect b. switching to reset the effect. The opponent essentially pins down a Pokemon without really doing anything while having a complimentary threat right on your toes in addition to the weather starter itself.

Mega-Charizard Y is the best example I have of this. His Mega Evolution essentially acts as a passive priority Sunny Day. Its not that you do not have the options for the threat, its that you have to respond to it while the opponent gets a free go. It's akin to white going first against black in chess.
While I can't deny the influence of archetypes, I personally think it isn't a bad thing as you seem to be implying. In fact, the presence of archetypes allows a player to play around a bit more - knowing what Pokemon you'll generally need to counter and what Pokemon are good in a particular archetype can really help out at times. There's even room to use archetypes to your advantage - Charizard-X is an excellent bluff that can really throw opponents for a loop, and there's the classic "fast mode" included in the best TR teams. Really though, an archetype is often more of a method of obtaining your endgame - be it "6-0 with Char-Y," "punch holes with Sand Rush Exca so Kang can clean," or "pick things off slowly with Conk etc." This response doesn't really make a lot of sense looking back (in my defense it's a complicated question) but I don't feel like changing it.
To be good in OMs is necessary being good in standard metas (OU, etc...)?

To make a new OM is necessary know about coding and programming stuff?
Neither of these things are necessary to succeed in Other Metagames, although having some OU background can't hurt.
Hi, I was wondering if you could be my mentor for doubles battle? kind of new with this format. thanks :)
Sure thing - send me a forum PM or hit me up on #doubles on SynIRC some time and I'll help you with whatever you need :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)