AAA Almost Any Ability

I haven't actually seen a single Poison Heal Snorlax or Suicune- I suppose my problem is that I'm in an unsettled meta and poison heal users seem unpredictible. I should go more offensive, I suppose, but I'm scared of them UBs..

But thanks- I'll put your sentiments to as good a use as I can muster.

Man, Speed boost Xurk is absolutely BROKEN.

After Tail glow, it OHKO's most things.

Oh, thought you could send your bulky Dale or Hippo to eat up that Thunderbolt? Here's a Grass Knot to easy OHKO. Also, sorry, you can't outspeed it lol.
Volt Absorb Celesteela is a good counter, though I like Speed Boost Celesteela for the flinchhax. :P

Man, Speed boost Xurk is absolutely BROKEN.

After Tail glow, it OHKO's most things.

Oh, thought you could send your bulky Dale or Hippo to eat up that Thunderbolt? Here's a Grass Knot to easy OHKO. Also, sorry, you can't outspeed it lol.
I personally enjoy No Guard Xurk with Z-Hypnosis (boosts Speed by 1 stage). For something that occasionally gets hard-countered, Xurk really enjoys the ability to put a counter to sleep rather than hope that you can pull a double with it. More than +1 Speed is nice, but +1 should be enough late-game and Hypnosis+Zap Cannon gives bulkier builds much more trouble.

I was using Lightning Rod Keldo earlier, but people see things like that coming a mile away.
The difference being that Xurkitree can't really touch celesteela outside of tbolt. Keld still gets rekt by energy ball or dazzling gleam.

Also yeah, poison heal Snorlax is absolutely ridiculous, both from using it and facing it. If you're not packing a hard counter to Snorlax (like regenblade or regen Cobalion) then you have to take Lax into account in almost every single play you make. Even if you have a hard counter that means you pretty much have to go into it every time and still don't get anywhere closer to beating it, you just have a guarantee that at least it can't win.
I'd argue that Snorlax is even better now because of the shifts in meta. Fluffy, buzzwole and tapu fini are a big middle finger to most fighting types and the remaining few prefer to run Triage Drain Punch which doesn't even come close to the power level needed to threaten a +1 Snorlax (or it's Phero who runs HJK).

Snorlax (I'd argue PH in general too) is very low risk, high reward. You can send it on like half the meta and every passive mon ever and immediately put immense pressure on the opposing team as they have to choose between predicting Facade or Curse, the first one can result in losing their only mon that can deal significant damage to snorlax, the second one can result in them just losing. Prediction that is completely insignificant to you since you can just try again every single time Lax comes back in, which also means they have to accurately predict the facade / curse shit everytime too.

Merciless exists.
I am silly for not realizing this sooner.

But while Snorlax is counterable, its TH Azumarill and Zygarde are stumping me. I guess I need more ice for the latter, but the former keeps setting up full toxic heal by whirlpool trapping. I guess phasing is needed to keep TH heals low?

Merciless exists.
I am silly for not realizing this sooner.

But while Snorlax is counterable, its TH Azumarill and Zygarde are stumping me. I guess I need more ice for the latter, but the former keeps setting up full toxic heal by whirlpool trapping. I guess phasing is needed to keep TH heals low?
Anything that can pressure them enough that they can't constantly heal. Hazards are good as with multiple hazard and good double switch they won't even heal anything, same for pivoting moves, powerful attackers like tough claws stuff or adapt mamoswine can deal enough damage that PH doesn't heal enough, set-up can punish them for using protect and disgustingly funnily enough PH is a good way to fight PH, for example PH azumarill can trap and beat PH zygarde via whirlpool, charm / encore and Perish song while Snorlax for example can beat Tapu fini with Facade and Tapu Fini can beat Azumarill with taunt. PH manaphy was also an excellent stallbreaker last gen and should be just as good this gen.

shiloh

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tiering Lead
im bored and played some aaa and had fun so ill drop some sets ive been abusing

Muk-Alola @ Dread Plate
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Def / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot
- Shadow Sneak

probably the best bulky pursuiter atm, since its easily able to handle psychics / ghost moves & whatever other coverage like focus blast and trap with with adap pursuit / knock. dread adap knock off is strong as fuck and does crazy things like have a chance to 2hko a hippo after rocks and other things like that. gunk is obvious stab boosted by adap, and in the last slot i personally run sneak since you can hit non dazzle phero & psy terrain zam for quite a bit before they kill you. ev spread is made to mazimize atk first, then enough hp & def to tank lo phero hjk. the rest is just a bit of creep for things like alolan wak.

Celebi @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Leaf Storm
- Psychic

was looking for cool utility psychic terrain setter and in the end i settled on bi. sr + turn + decent stabs is good enough for me, and its amazing support for fast sweepers. colbur to tank pursuits / knocks & generally strong stabs in order to hit shit as hard as possible before foddering it to get up terrain. there are a ton of alternatives in terms of moves / items as well so im curious if you guys have run any cool dedicated terrain setters & what you guys chose to use.

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Aura Sphere

probably the best & most viable set that i started using was regenvest mag. max spa since you want to hit as hard as possible & its already bulky as fuck with only hp investment. this thing is crazy in what it checks though, being able to easy check shit like zam / mana / xurkitree. volt switch is a godsend for this set as its easy af to scout special attackers then pivot out to faster threats like phero / zydog / xurkitree. overall i think mag is going to be a huge threat in the meta, and im curious as to what ppl have been using on offensive sets like shift gear & specs.

here's a fun team ive been using if you wanna see the sets ive used above in action. built around phero & muk to trap shit like doublade & bulky psychics. speed boost xurkitree bc its broken and is a great late game cleaner. celebi to support both of the above since prio is their downfall, zydog to revenge phero & be strong in general. mag cleans up & pivots into special attackers like zam.

in terms of the meta, ive been having fun playing it love the offensive route its taken as opposed to a more stally / defensive one. however there are a few things that council should probably qb (which is honestly the best way to handle suspects as long as council members give their reasoning and post in the threads, goes by faster & public can still give opinions in the thread).

first one the list is probably speed boost as its a hilarious how broken shit like xurkitree
is once you get +3 / +1 and just sweep any offensive team and most defensive ones as well. tbolt / energy ball hits most of the meta & after a tail glow your spa stat is so high it doesnt matter if its a neutral hit.

something else that should probably be looked at is illusion as its still as stupid as it was lasty gen, even though there are less megas its still so easy to bluff & easily sweep with things like zard-x. this is probably something that could be looked at later, but i def think speed boost should be getting the boot within a ~week

also pheromosa
is fucking insane, as it has all the qualities it has in regular ou that make it broken along w/ dazzling & protean which are just fucking insane on it. not being revenge killed by priority is huge as it can just quickly chip with u-turn and go to a trapper to remove a check then come back out and do it again. in order to handle it ive been having to look at this like mold breaker prio mons / using things that are usually sub par in a healthy metagame.
ps feel free to chall me anytime you see me on ps main / smogtours as i love playing the tier and usually whenever i remember to play nobody is on to play with me :(

Last edited:

Muk-Alola @ Dread Plate
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot
- Shadow Sneak

probably the best bulky pursuiter atm, since its easily able to handle psychics / ghost moves & whatever other coverage like focus blast and trap with with adap pursuit / knock. dread adap knock off is strong as fuck and does crazy things like have a chance to 2hko a hippo after rocks and other things like that. gunk is obvious stab boosted by adap, and in the last slot i personally run sneak since you can hit non dazzle phero & psy terrain zam for quite a bit before they kill you. ev spread is made to mazimize atk first, then enough hp & def to tank lo phero hjk. the rest is just a bit of creep for things like alolan wak.

Celebi @ Colbur Berry
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Leaf Storm
- Psychic

was looking for cool utility psychic terrain setter and in the end i settled on bi. sr + turn + decent stabs is good enough for me, and its amazing support for fast sweepers. colbur to tank pursuits / knocks & generally strong stabs in order to hit shit as hard as possible before foddering it to get up terrain. other setters ive found to be cool are prankster uxie w/ z-memento, but celebi is the best one for a team to keep up its offensive presense imo. there are a ton of alternatives in terms of moves / items as well so im curious if you guys have run any cool dedicated terrain setters & what you guys chose to use.

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Aura Sphere

probably the best & most viable set that i started using was regenvest mag. max spa since you want to hit as hard as possible & its already bulky as fuck with only hp investment. this thing is crazy in what it checks though, being able to easy check shit like zam / mana / xurkitree. volt switch is a godsend for this set as its easy af to scout special attackers then pivot out to faster threats like phero / zydog / xurkitree. overall i think mag is going to be a huge threat in the meta, and im curious as to what ppl have been using on offensive sets like shift gear & specs.

here's a fun team ive been using if you wanna see the sets ive used above in action. built around phero & muk to trap shit like doublade & bulky psychics. speed boost xurkitree bc its broken and is a great late game cleaner. celebi to support both of the above since prio is their downfall, zydog to revenge phero & be strong in general. mag cleans up & pivots into special attackers like zam.

in terms of the meta, ive been having fun playing it love the offensive route its taken as opposed to a more stally / defensive one. however there are a few things that council should probably qb (which is honestly the best way to handle suspects as long as council members give their reasoning and post in the threads, goes by faster & public can still give opinions in the thread).

first one the list is probably speed boost as its a hilarious how broken shit like xurkitree
is once you get +3 / +1 and just sweep any offensive team and most defensive ones as well. tbolt / energy ball hits most of the meta & after a tail glow your spa stat is so high it doesnt matter if its a neutral hit.

something else that should probably be looked at is imposter as its still as stupid as it was last gen, even though there are less megas its still so easy to bluff & easily sweep with things like zard-x. this is probably something that could be looked at later, but i def think speed boost should be getting the boot within a ~week

also pheromosa
is fucking insane, as it has all the qualities it has in regular ou that make it broken along w/ dazzling & protean which are just fucking insane on it. not being revenge killed by priority is huge as it can just quickly chip with u-turn and go to a trapper to remove a check then come back out and do it again. in order to handle it ive been having to look at this like mold breaker prio mons / using things that are usually sub par in a healthy metagame.
ps feel free to chall me anytime you see me on ps main / smogtours as i love playing the tier and usually whenever i remember to play nobody is on to play with me :(
O yeh I remember this team from seeing it in a room tour earlier this week or smt might've won if not for dank fleur canon miss, anyway, I kinda feel like Alolan-Muk has one of the most interesting combination of type and stats this gen an I could see a lot of different sets being viable. It pretty much hard counters Gengar and is a really good check to lati, zam and probably doublade, I've been meaning to try some regenvest set, haven't gotten around to doing so but I was pretty surprised when this did a clean like 55% to max Def Hippo or smt.

Magearna is hands down the best regenVest user there is currently given how many ppl already caught on with it, I've been slappin PhisDef regenvest on pretty much every team since I can check everything from triage fighting types to thundy / latios / special attackers to Hoopa, Kyurem-B and Aerilate Dragonite, the range of this thing is insane and it's hard to not run it on a team as the benefits far outweight what little flaws it may have.
Thought I've legit not seen an offensive set since Contrary got banned.

Anyway I'm glad you brought up speed boost because it's, imo, busted. The combination of psychic terrain, gale wing nerf and some new powerful mons just makes speed boost completely unmanageable unless you're running unaware (or like some really bulky shit), xurkitree just walks through teams, scarfers is the main way to rk stuff in standard and speed boost renders them completely useless so it's borderline impossible to offensively check a speed boost mon, especially if it has access to boosting. Xurkitree is one example (and one of the better ones) but I very much doubt it's limited to the pokemon, I've been using speed boost alolan-marowak quite a bit and it just shreds after a swords dance and can't even be beat by triage drain punch. I kinda wanna get more use out of different mons like manaphy or Hoopa but I think a fair number of people would agree with me that speed boost is definitely and issue right now and I'd love to see what others on this thread think about it.

(srry for writing liek shit Im prety tired)

Muk-Alola @ Dread Plate
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot
- Shadow Sneak

Celebi @ Colbur Berry
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Leaf Storm
- Psychic

was looking for cool utility psychic terrain setter and in the end i settled on bi. sr + turn + decent stabs is good enough for me, and its amazing support for fast sweepers. colbur to tank pursuits / knocks & generally strong stabs in order to hit shit as hard as possible before foddering it to get up terrain. there are a ton of alternatives in terms of moves / items as well so im curious if you guys have run any cool dedicated terrain setters & what you guys chose to use.

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Aura Sphere

something else that should probably be looked at is illusion as its still as stupid as it was lasty gen, even though there are less megas its still so easy to bluff & easily sweep with things like zard-x. this is probably something that could be looked at later, but i def think speed boost should be getting the boot within a ~week

also pheromosa
IMO, Pheromosa is a major player, but is definitely counterable due to her defenses, predictible movepool and typing. (Protean won't protect you from rocks)

Xurkitree though? In one turn, I'm guaranteed to lose two pokemon, and that's if I have my primary strategy working successfully and two priority revenge pokemon on my team.

Arceus forbid your opponent has a Zstone, because nothing will survive that hit after one turn setup, barring immune pokemon.

With Triage being a thing to nerf it, I'd love for Speed Boost to exist here somewhere, but I know specific pokemon/ability combos are not typically banned in Smogonland, and there still are just too many mons whom can probably still abuse this, albeit to a lesser degree.

But, hypothetically, if Xurkitree itself was banned or otherwise never existed, would we be having Speed Boost issues like this?

Also, Arielate dragonite is giving me some trouble- that extremespeed counters my revenge killers. Is anyone getting mileage out of Mamoswine this gen, or should I be looking for a galvanizemon?

On, and what's with the lack of Zmove use? I've only seen one other person use them (xuirkitree user) and its great for breaking those poison healers.

But, hypothetically, if Xurkitree itself was banned or otherwise never existed, would we be having Speed Boost issues like this?
Umm I don't think so. I got a lot of sweeps with Speed Boost Manaphy (which I think is better than Xurkitree because of bulk and coverage). I believe Speed Boost is the main problem. It makes wallbreakers near-unrevengeable and ridiculously hard to manage in general. Also it made Scarf pretty useless as stated. And I think it's not just Manaphy. Many strong Swords Dance/Nasty Plot sweepers are pretty much unstoppable with Speed Boost. I got swept by LO Speed Boost Garchomp just by one SD because I didn't carry Skarmory.

Also don't use Protean Pheromosa. It's coverage is bad imo. Use Tough Claws. 3 out of 4 of it's best moves (U-turn, HJK, Poison Jab) got boosted. It's crazy strong. LO + Tough Claws High Jump Kick 2HKOs even resists, unless it has Fluffy or something.

Poor Exeggcution Pheromosa is a fighting type, it's not weak to rocks.
The biggest issue with Pheromosa is that it's too damn fast to the point that even your scarfers have to be unreasonable fast to outspeed it. But I don't think it's unwallable or unmanageable for now, I'll have to try playing with it / against it more.
Also adapt swine is really good against more defensive teams, thought it wishes that it had swords dance really badly.

Yeah speed boost is definitely the problem more than xurk is, I already said this but with Psychic terrain and dazzling being a thing (along with a few other things) Prio in general has lost a bit of use and viability and scarfers have taken over as the primary way to rk stuff, which speed boosts completely invalidates.
Hell why even run scarf mons when you can just run speed boost yourself? Just click protect and you essentially have a scarf + a life orb or smt.

Landorus-T, Rampardos, Garchomp, Xurkitree, Manaphy, Hoopa-U, anything that learns a relatively strong boosting move can quickly become unmanageable after a speed boost and a lot of abusers / potential abusers have the bulk or typing to live priority (Lando, Marowak).

The issue is definitely not in Xurk alone but in speed boost as a whole since it pretty much forces you to carry defensive answers, that's assuming you can find defensive answers that can deal with most of the common sp users (not to say there won't be any issues with xurk without speed boost but w/e).

Poor Exeggcution Pheromosa is a fighting type, it's not weak to rocks.
The biggest issue with Pheromosa is that it's too damn fast to the point that even your scarfers have to be unreasonable fast to outspeed it. But I don't think it's unwallable or unmanageable for now, I'll have to try playing with it / against it more.
Also adapt swine is really good against more defensive teams, thought it wishes that it had swords dance really badly.

Yeah speed boost is definitely the problem more than xurk is, I already said this but with Psychic terrain and dazzling being a thing (along with a few other things) Prio in general has lost a bit of use and viability and scarfers have taken over as the primary way to rk stuff, which speed boosts completely invalidates.
Hell why even run scarf mons when you can just run speed boost yourself? Just click protect and you essentially have a scarf + a life orb or smt.

Landorus-T, Rampardos, Garchomp, Xurkitree, Manaphy, Hoopa-U, anything that learns a relatively strong boosting move can quickly become unmanageable after a speed boost and a lot of abusers / potential abusers have the bulk or typing to live priority (Lando, Marowak).

The issue is definitely not in Xurk alone but in speed boost as a whole since it pretty much forces you to carry defensive answers, that's assuming you can find defensive answers that can deal with most of the common sp users (not to say there won't be any issues with xurk without speed boost but w/e).
Good point on dazzling/psychic terrain- haven't seen a ton of folks using it but it would male for great assurance for speed boosters.

But if SB were to go away and Xurkitree were still a problem, ground type sap sipper would be immune to standard sets, possibly get an attack boost from an energy ball, and have a chance to rock polish.

And if you avoided rock type, it could also get a boost from Celesteela's leech seed and a free turn for setup. But I'd run fire coverage for her- volt absorb is too common.

Prankster topsy turvy is also a useful counter- but even now, but in order to pull it off, a pokemon has to die. Malamar also gets Happy Hour- whose Zmove boosts all stats. Not aways enough to induce a sweep on its own, but it can at least do a little more work that way.

As for the protean pheromosa and rocks stuff- I was responding to the previous post and haven't used protean personally, so I wasn't gonna knock it- and wth all the uturn use, hazards are a problem, period.

Sylveon.

Penny saved is still a fucking penny
Alright, this is kind of a HO volt-turn team, I have been playing for some time and it generally performs pretty well against most common stuff in the meta right now, and could be even more effective once speed boost etc. get banned. It utilizes offensive volt -turn core of phero-darmanitian along with breakers like adaptability terrakion(protean can be used too) and psychic surge mega-zam enjoying slow volt turns of zapdos and magearna.

Team:
Alakazam @ Alakazite
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Encore
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

Pheromosa @ Choice Band
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- High Jump Kick
- Lunge
- Facade

Magearna @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Fleur Cannon
- Ice Beam
- Flash Cannon

Zapdos @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost
- Defog

Darmanitan @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Superpower

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Description :
Main offensive core includes unconventional but really powerful tinted band phero and psychic surge zam. Alakazam has encore to pressurize set-up shenanigans and poison heal abusers and after using it for some time I can confirm though situational, trace is a wonderful ability in AAA, since it often gets to abuse abilities like adaptability, protean and most importantly speed boost, add to that 175 special attack and it's mostly ggs for any weakened team. Calm Mind + Psyshock is an option but this team appreciates encore and psyshock sometimes just doesn't cut it. Now Zappy + Megearna form an excellent core overthrowing most offensive mons and magearna lives some crazy hits, like taking 56% from +3 xurk. Now, darm provides us with an excellent steel killer which out-speeds common stuff like Z-hypnosis xurk and has high base power moves to kill pretty much every steel types. And in the end, terrakion again acts as a strong wallbreaker which provides rocks, though ability can be changed to protean to make doublade match-up much much better.

Solid replay, showing how the team works : http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7almostanyability-491018127

Could this be considered a thing?
Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Corrosion
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Haze
- Recover
- Infestation

It does what it always does. Poison things and tank them until they die, but now it can also do that to Steel and Poison types.

Could this be considered a thing?
Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Corrosion
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Haze
- Recover
- Infestation

It does what it always does. Poison things and tank them until they die, but now it can also do that to Steel and Poison types.
Yes and no, under one hand I think corrosion is an interesting ability that might prove to be really potent in the meta, but on the other hand Toxapexis often burn fishing with scald so switchins to it are often status-immune pokemons, mainly Poison Heal.

But it is pretty interesting and as far as I know, only trying it out while tell you if it works or not. I know Lcass has had some decent success with Corrosion Chansey so who knows?

You know what is stupid? Stakeout. If it was 1.5x I would be tolerable but it is a 2x boost to any move. It hits so god damn hard. I was playing versus LaxLapras yesterday and specs Thundurus did 59% to 252/4 regenvest Magearna with volt switch. It is like Shadow Tag in disguise because while it doesn't prevent switch ins you have very little chance of knowing if it is stake out or not and when you do end up switching you take a huge chuck of damage. I can see volt-turn cores being extremely lethal with this as they constantly force switches. Screw this ability yo

Golisopod @ Assault Vest
Ability: Analytic
252 HP, 252 Attack, 4 Def
Brave Nature (0 Speed IVs)
Liquidation, Leech Life, Poison Jab / Other, Rock Slide / Other

Maybe not as good as triage but still good. Slow enough to where you are almost guaranteed to go last and receive the damage boost.

Ugh, rubbish deleted post...

Super-situational, but ...

"Anti Poison Heal Pokemon" (as long as they're not Ghosts)
Conkeldurr with Toxic Orb (preventing burn)
Ability: Merciless
-- Substitute
-- Focus Punch
-- Drain Punch // Bulk Up
-- (coverage)

Last edited:

sin(pi)

lucky n bad
Ugh, rubbish deleted post...

Super-situational, but ...

"Anti Poison Heal Pokemon" (as long as they're not Ghosts)
Conkeldurr with Toxic Orb (preventing burn)
Ability: Merciless
-- Substitute
-- Focus Punch
-- Drain Punch // Bulk Up
-- (coverage)
Why not Hex+Venoshock Gengar?
Sample calcs:
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Hex/Venoshock (130 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Suicune on a critical hit: 367-433 (90.8 - 107.1%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Venoshock (130 BP) vs. 188 HP / 176+ SpD Snorlax on a critical hit: 298-351 (58.6 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Hex/Venoshock (130 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Manaphy on a critical hit: 417-491 (103.2 - 121.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Hex (130 BP) vs. 200 HP / 252+ SpD Zygarde on a critical hit: 308-364 (75.6 - 89.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal (50% Forme)
You can run Wisp, Toxic, Focus Blast, Taunt, etc in the other slots. Venoshock isn't even rly needed outside of Lax so you can run Sludge Wave/Bomb for a more reliable STAB or something, which handles most Fairies (bar Mag obviously).

Why not Hex+Venoshock Gengar?
Sample calcs:
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Hex/Venoshock (130 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Suicune on a critical hit: 367-433 (90.8 - 107.1%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Venoshock (130 BP) vs. 188 HP / 176+ SpD Snorlax on a critical hit: 298-351 (58.6 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Hex/Venoshock (130 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Manaphy on a critical hit: 417-491 (103.2 - 121.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Hex (130 BP) vs. 200 HP / 252+ SpD Zygarde on a critical hit: 308-364 (75.6 - 89.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal (50% Forme)
You can run Wisp, Toxic, Focus Blast, Taunt, etc in the other slots. Venoshock isn't even rly needed outside of Lax so you can run Sludge Wave/Bomb for a more reliable STAB or something, which handles most Fairies (bar Mag obviously).
Focus Blast will do more to Snorlax than Venoshock anyways. I'd say run Hex+Focus Blast+Sludge Bomb+Toxic.
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Focus Blast vs. 188 HP / 176+ SpD Snorlax on a critical hit: 367-432 (72.2 - 85%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal.

Also check this out:
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey on a critical hit: 265-312 (41.3 - 48.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and toxic damage

I'm just going to do everyone a favor here and call for an immediate ban on the ability Normalize.

Why is this important? Well, Gengar still learns Skill Swap, and...

Gengar @ Black Sludge
Ability: Normalize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Skill Swap
- Mean Look
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt

...the results are pretty darn broken. First, this uses Mean Look, and then uses Skill Swap. Taunt prevents Parting Shot from doing anything, at which point you whittle the foe down while they do nothing.
This is probably the nastiest set I've ever made, and I'm not proud of it. This should not exist in a format anywhere close to standard play, as it's awfully centralizing.

On a more positive note, Stakeout Typhlosion is cool.

Typhlosion @ Choice Specs
Ability: Stakeout
Modest Nature
- Eruption
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast
- Flamethrower

The point of this set is to force switches and hit really hard. Specs Stakeout Eruption hits stupidly hard from full health, often OHKOing Special walls that don't resist. I'll post calcs a bit later when I find out what's relevant... (Maybe this is also an argument to ban Stakeout..? I'm not sure.)

Reactions: EV
I'm just going to do everyone a favor here and call for an immediate ban on the ability Normalize.

Why is this important? Well, Gengar still learns Skill Swap, and...

Gengar @ Black Sludge
Ability: Normalize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Skill Swap
- Mean Look
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt

...the results are pretty darn broken. First, this uses Mean Look, and then uses Skill Swap. Taunt prevents Parting Shot from doing anything, at which point you whittle the foe down while they do nothing.
This is probably the nastiest set I've ever made, and I'm not proud of it. This should not exist in a format anywhere close to standard play, as it's awfully centralizing.

On a more positive note, Stakeout Typhlosion is cool.

Typhlosion @ Choice Specs
Ability: Stakeout
Modest Nature
- Eruption
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast
- Flamethrower

The point of this set is to force switches and hit really hard. Specs Stakeout Eruption hits stupidly hard from full health, often OHKOing Special walls that don't resist. I'll post calcs a bit later when I find out what's relevant... (Maybe this is also an argument to ban Stakeout..? I'm not sure.)
Just by checking your rank you've literally played six battles and you've already called for a quick ban. Normalize Skill Swap Gengar has always been a part of AAA, it's nothing new and isn't difficult to handle.

Just by checking your rank you've literally played six battles and you've already called for a quick ban. Normalize Skill Swap Gengar has always been a part of AAA, it's nothing new and isn't difficult to handle.
It is a pretty sinister trick against a stall team, though, and doesn't add anything to AAA...
The people that faced this set were incredibly salty about it... Let me ask you something. How many of those Normalize Gengars used Mean Look first?

If you're slower and are not using a move to switch yourself out the turn Gengar traps you, you literally have to faint. We haven't properly defined Normalize Gengar... until now, where it holds the same role as the similar Mega Gengar. Even the existence of this on the opposing team can make your opponent act differently, which can be used and abused. There are certainly ways to deal with it, but the tools that AAA has when compared to something like BH are much more limited to deal with gimmicks such as this. Hence my reaction to this being so severe right off the bat.... I'm certainly open to counterarguments supporting this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)