Aggron [QC 2/3] written

[OVERVIEW]

Aggron has a huge offensive presence in the tier due to its high attack stat and access to STAB Head Smash. With access to Rock Head, Aggron can freely use Head Smash without taking recoil damage and easily 2 hit KO some of the premier physical walls in the tier, such as Weezing. Aggron has access to a number of valuable coverage moves such as Earthquake, Fire Punch, and Superpower to allow it to blow through pokemon that would normally wall it. Aggron has 2 four times weaknesses to common move types which severely hinder its utility in the tier. A relatively low special defense and speed leave it susceptible to being revenge killed. Aggron faces competition as a stealth rock user from Golem and Golurk, but access to taunt gives it a unique niche. Aggron additionally faces competition as a wallbreaker from Zangoose and Archeops. Aggron fits well on balanced and bulky offense teams.

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Head Smash
move 2: Heavy Slam
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Fire Punch
item: Choice Band
ability: Rock Head
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Choice banded Aggrons Head Smash does huge damage, 2HKOing even defensive pokemon such as Weezing and Type: Null. Heavy slam allows Aggron to hit rock resists such as Hitmonchan and Gurdurr for neutral damage. Additionally, Heavy Slam is a STAB option with 100% accuracy. Aggron's coverage moves are chosen to punish common rock and steel resists. Earthquake allows Aggron to heavily damage steel types such as Probopass. Fire punch hits pokemon such as Bronzor and Ferroseed who otherwise take minimal damage from Aggron's other moves.

Set Details
========

Rock Head allows Aggron to use Head Smash without taking recoil damage. Maximum Attack and Speed EVs, a Choice Band, and an Adamant nature allow Aggron to maximize its damage output and outspeed as much as possible. A jolly nature may be used to outspeed most offensive Lanturn and Golem sets as well as defensive Hitmonchan.

Usage Tips
========

Aggron can find opportunities to switch in on pokemon such as Miltank and physical Skuntank. Aggron should be played aggressively in the early game to effectively wall break, switch it in on a double or a slow volt switch. Bulky rock-resistant pokemon such as Gastrodon and Poliwrath can switch in on a predicted head smash and quickly gain momentum, Aggron must be careful when using head smash if the opponent has a strong rock resist. Use Aggron's coverage moves to punish switches into rock-resists so that Aggron can freely use Head Smash. Once the opposing walls have been broken Aggron becomes fairly expendable in the late-game.

Team Options
========
Aggron fits well on balance and bulky offense teams which provide frequent switch safe switch ins and and appreciate the pressure Aggron puts on opposing walls. Aggron can 2 hit KO defensive Weezing, freeing up other physical sweepers such as Primeape and Kangaskhan later in the game. Aggron is worn down quickly and has several common weaknesses, it appreciates volt turn support to safely switch in. Eelektross can provide a slow volt switch and threaten pokemon that commonly wall Aggron such as Gastrodon and Poliwrath with super effective Giga Drains and Thunderbolts. Silvally-Fairy provides both a fighting resist and parting shot support. Aggron appreciates hazard support to further punish switches, Mesprit can set stealth rock while also providing a fighting resist and ground immunity. Checks to fighting and ground types such as Gourgeist, Musharna, and Swanna help Aggron wallbreak effectively. Specially bulky pokemon such as Musharna and Type: Null increase Aggrons longevity by providing safe pivots after Aggron has attacked. Late game cleaners who appreciate having walls weakened like Lilligant and Kangaskhan pair well with Aggron.

[SET]

name: Offensive Stealth Rock
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 3: Head Smash
move 4: Taunt
item: Shuca Berry / Lum Berry
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Head smash allows Aggron to exert offensive pressure and potentially force a switch, which can provide a free turn to set up stealth rock. Heavy slam is Aggron’s steel STAB of choice, dealing large damage to the generally light weight tier and punishes fighting type switch ins such as Gurdurr. Taunt prevents Aggron from becoming set up fodder and prevents hazards and status moves from slower pokemon such as Weezing. Stealth rock deals damage to the opponents pokemon on a switch in.

Set Details
========

Adamant nature and max attack EVs allow Aggron to do as much damage as possible, preventing it from potentially becoming set up fodder. Max speed allows Aggron to outspeed as much as possible, taunt allows Aggron to prevent toxic spikes from Weezing and block stealth rocks from slower pokemon. Aggron can potentially run a jolly nature to outspeed pokemon such as defensive Mesprit and Hitmonchan; however, the decrease in damage output is notable. Shuca berry may allow Aggron to survive a ground type attack from full health, while lum allows Aggron to significantly damage will-o-wisp users such as Sableye.

Usage Tips
========

The offensive stealth rock set functions well as a lead versus offensive teams where its role will be limited to setting up stealth rocks. Aggron can still find ample opportunity to wall break against balanced and bulky offensive teams. Aggron can freely switch in to Skuntank, one of the premier defoggers in the tier, to reset stealth rock or threaten with a Head Smash.

Team Options
========

This Aggron set is fairly self sufficient and does not need much support to do its job. Oricorio-Sensu and Haunter pair well with Aggron, as they are immune to ground and fighting type attacks and in turn Aggron provides hazards and wallbreaking power. Additionally, Aggron checks physical Skuntank, which is often the biggest barrier to Oricorio-Sensu or Haunter sweeping; special Skuntank outspeeds and can 2 hit KO with dark pulse. Teams that struggle with Silvally-Fairy and Type: Null appreciate having Aggron to come in and sponge hits. Late game sweepers that appreciate wallbreaking support pair well with Aggron, including Kangaskhan and Lilligant. Offensive stealth rock Aggron fits well on offensive teams.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Aggron has alternative coverage moves that allow it to hit specific pokemon, such as aqua tail, avalanche, and ice punch; however, the listed coverage moves allow Aggron to function most effectively. A lure set with substitute, focus punch, and magnet rise can be used to beat Aggrons usual checks such as Probopass. Alternative item options include life orb or stone plate. Aggron has access to rock polish, allowing it to function as a late game sweeper; however, its 4x weakness to priority mach punch and mediocre speed even at +2 may prevent it from sweeping effectively. Aggron can run sturdy with stone edge instead of head smash to ensure that stealth rock are set.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Water-Types**: Poliwrath and Gastrodon can both switch into Aggron freely and threaten back with STAB 4x effective moves, Gastrodon also has reliable recovery and can repeatedly switch in. Offensive Water-types such as special Floatzel cannot freely switch in but threaten to OHKO if given the opportunity.

**Ground-Types**: Mudsdale is not 2HKO’d by banded head smash after leftovers and threatens to OHKO back with earthquake. Offensive Golurk survives any attack from the choice band set and threatens to OHKO in response. Defensive Torterra can take 2 Head Smashs and threaten a KO with earthquake.

**Fighting Types**: While fighting types such as hitmonchan, Primeape, and Gurdurr cannot freely switch into a banded heavy slam, all 3 OHKO with their respective fighting coverage.

**Faster attackers**: Aggrons exploitable weaknesses, relatively low special defense, and lack of reliable recovery leave it open to being chipped down by faster attackers. Swanna, Magmortar or Jynx carrying focus blast, and Haunter will do massive damage to Aggron if given the opportunity.

*Steel Types**: Aggron sets lacking superpower struggle with steel types such as Ferroseed and Probopass. Ferroseed takes minimal damage from a banded head smash and can proceed to set up hazards, while Probopass traps Aggron and OHKO's with earth power. Bronzor takes minimal damage from both Head Smash and Heavy Slam, but will be 2 hit KO'd by a choice banded Fire Punch.

Last edited:
not qc but I dont think aqua jet is a very good priority move to mention, as aggron's huge defense and lack of 4 times weakness to it means aggron can actually take a multitude of them

maybe things like mach punch from hitmonchan and vacuum wave from poliwrath are more practical mentions

not qc but I dont think aqua jet is a very good priority move to mention, as aggron's huge defense and lack of 4 times weakness to it means aggron can actually take a multitude of them

maybe things like mach punch from hitmonchan and vacuum wave from poliwrath are more practical mentions

Good point. Ty (:

I've found some success with an Autotomize set. Assuming you clear out anything that resists Head Smash or still outspeeds and threatens with a fighting, ground, or special move, Aggron can clean house if given an opportunity. Probably not as overall useful as the CB set, but can be great if you set up a sweep when someone is expecting a simple wallbreak.
It is really hurt by its low sp def and mediocre HP. Even non SE , non-stab special moves often 2hko.
Under the right circumstances, it basically just won't die, the rest of the time it is depressingly frail.

yogi

I did not succumb...
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey a few things:
  • I'd possibly mention that even though weaker, Jolly on the band set outspeeds mons like standard AV lanturn.
  • I'd also mention in team options that a heal bell user can stop it being crippled by wisp.
  • I really dislike the idea of Stealth rocks being slashed on the band set. If you want a utility move, Toxic cripples things like poli and gastro.
  • In other options I'd mention a fast stealth rocks taunt set could potentially be used.
  • I'd note that even though aggron can come in on mushy, it loses to the barrier set.

Hey a few things:
  • I'd possibly mention that even though weaker, Jolly on the band set outspeeds mons like standard AV lanturn.
  • I'd also mention in team options that a heal bell user can stop it being crippled by wisp.
  • I really dislike the idea of Stealth rocks being slashed on the band set. If you want a utility move, Toxic cripples things like poli and gastro.
  • In other options I'd mention a fast stealth rocks taunt set could potentially be used.
  • I'd note that even though aggron can come in on mushy, it loses to the barrier set.

1. Done.
2. Done.
3. That's the standard PU showdown usage set from the damage calc, so I'm leaving it unless the QC team asks that it's changed
4. Done.
5. Done.

I've found some success with an Autotomize set. Assuming you clear out anything that resists Head Smash or still outspeeds and threatens with a fighting, ground, or special move, Aggron can clean house if given an opportunity. Probably not as overall useful as the CB set, but can be great if you set up a sweep when someone is expecting a simple wallbreak.
It is really hurt by its low sp def and mediocre HP. Even non SE , non-stab special moves often 2hko.
Under the right circumstances, it basically just won't die, the rest of the time it is depressingly frail.
I believe I've covered this by listing the rock polish set in the other options. If the QC team would like a full write up of the rock polish set I need a day to build with it.

I've also covered the low base hp and SpD under the usage tips for the offensive stealth rock set, that could potentially be moved to the overview

TJ

Banned deucer.
is the Smogon Tour Season 34 Championis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Not QC but here are some suggestions.
  • "Aggron is generally outclassed as a stealth rock user by Regirock and Piloswine and outclassed as a choice band user by Mudsdale." Aggron is not outclassed by Mudsdale when using Choice Band. Its also not outclassed as a Stealth rock user compared to Regiroc and Piloswine
  • "Aggron is generally outclassed as a stealth rock user by Regirock and Piloswine and outclassed as a choice band user by Mudsdale. Aggron can find a place on teams where its typing makes it an advantageous choice over Regirock, Piloswine, or Mudsdale." This does not make sense since you said Aggron is outclassed by them which isnt true but still.
  • "Aggron functions best versus balanced teams, where it can repeatedly switch in and threaten to break down the opposing teams walls" I think you mean Aggron fits well on balanced teams. It also fits nice on Bulky offense by the way
  • "name: Click Head Smash" Name should probably be Choice Banded Wall breaker or simply Choice Band
  • "move 4: Ice Punch / Stealth Rock" I think you should slash Fire Punch or Super Power somewhere to hit opposing Steel-types such as Ferroseed, and Bronzor harder.
  • "Heavy slam does huge damage even to pokemon who resist it " I think this should be said for Head Smash
  • "Ice punch or super power can be used over stealth rock if a team is particularly weak to ground, grass, or flying type pokemon." You should probably slash Super Power in move slot 4 then
  • "Lum berry, life orb, or stone plate are alternative item options but the decrease in damage output is notable." I think this belongs in other options
  • "Aggrons prominent weaknesses to common attacks prevent it from switching in freely, it should be brought in as a revenge killer, after a slow volt switch, or on a resisted hit." This isnt true, Aggron should be brought in to wall break. Its not a revenge killer. You should also mention examples of volt switch users
  • "Offensive teams will struggle to switch into head smash, and defensive teams can be quickly worn down." Maybe rephrase this to click or spam headsmash
  • "Rock-resistant pokemon can switch in on a predicted head smash and quickly gain momentum, Aggron must be careful when using head smash if the opponent has a strong rock resist" This belongs in Team options
  • "Aggron is worn down quickly and has several common weaknesses, it appreciates volt turn support to safely switch in." Again mention volt switch users in my opinion
  • "Additionally, Mesprit sets up stealth rock and does not stack up weaknesses with Aggron." Maybe rephrase this to teammates such as Mesprit and x mon set up rocks for Aggron
  • "Aggron also pairs well with Charizard, resisting the rock type moves that Charizard dislikes." This isnt really true as most Rock-types run coverage. Example: Regiroc can have Earthquake, Carracosta has water STAB, Lycanroc-Midday has brick break, Golem has Earthquake Etc
  • "Aggron fits well onto offensive teams as it breaks down bulky pokemon so a set up sweeper such as Absol or Charizard can sweep." Aggron fits better on Bulky offense and Balanced playstyles
  • For offensive rocks Headsmash can be used with rock head. You dont really need sturdy.
  • Also, the ev spread seems weird I would imagine "offensive" rocks runs max speed or at least enough speed to creep something
  • "Glass cannons such as Haunter and Jynx appreciate a bulky physical pokemon to pivot into after claiming a kill." This set is Offensive and isnt tank so this isnt really true
  • I think Toxic and Taunt are worth a mention in other options.

Not QC but here are some suggestions.
  • "Aggron is generally outclassed as a stealth rock user by Regirock and Piloswine and outclassed as a choice band user by Mudsdale." Aggron is not outclassed by Mudsdale when using Choice Band. Its also not outclassed as a Stealth rock user compared to Regiroc and Piloswine
  • "Aggron is generally outclassed as a stealth rock user by Regirock and Piloswine and outclassed as a choice band user by Mudsdale. Aggron can find a place on teams where its typing makes it an advantageous choice over Regirock, Piloswine, or Mudsdale." This does not make sense since you said Aggron is outclassed by them which isnt true but still.
  • "Aggron functions best versus balanced teams, where it can repeatedly switch in and threaten to break down the opposing teams walls" I think you mean Aggron fits well on balanced teams. It also fits nice on Bulky offense by the way
  • "name: Click Head Smash" Name should probably be Choice Banded Wall breaker or simply Choice Band
  • "move 4: Ice Punch / Stealth Rock" I think you should slash Fire Punch or Super Power somewhere to hit opposing Steel-types such as Ferroseed, and Bronzor harder.
  • "Heavy slam does huge damage even to pokemon who resist it " I think this should be said for Head Smash
  • "Ice punch or super power can be used over stealth rock if a team is particularly weak to ground, grass, or flying type pokemon." You should probably slash Super Power in move slot 4 then
  • "Lum berry, life orb, or stone plate are alternative item options but the decrease in damage output is notable." I think this belongs in other options
  • "Aggrons prominent weaknesses to common attacks prevent it from switching in freely, it should be brought in as a revenge killer, after a slow volt switch, or on a resisted hit." This isnt true, Aggron should be brought in to wall break. Its not a revenge killer. You should also mention examples of volt switch users
  • "Offensive teams will struggle to switch into head smash, and defensive teams can be quickly worn down." Maybe rephrase this to click or spam headsmash
  • "Rock-resistant pokemon can switch in on a predicted head smash and quickly gain momentum, Aggron must be careful when using head smash if the opponent has a strong rock resist" This belongs in Team options
  • "Aggron is worn down quickly and has several common weaknesses, it appreciates volt turn support to safely switch in." Again mention volt switch users in my opinion
  • "Additionally, Mesprit sets up stealth rock and does not stack up weaknesses with Aggron." Maybe rephrase this to teammates such as Mesprit and x mon set up rocks for Aggron
  • "Aggron also pairs well with Charizard, resisting the rock type moves that Charizard dislikes." This isnt really true as most Rock-types run coverage. Example: Regiroc can have Earthquake, Carracosta has water STAB, Lycanroc-Midday has brick break, Golem has Earthquake Etc
  • "Aggron fits well onto offensive teams as it breaks down bulky pokemon so a set up sweeper such as Absol or Charizard can sweep." Aggron fits better on Bulky offense and Balanced playstyles
  • For offensive rocks Headsmash can be used with rock head. You dont really need sturdy.
  • Also, the ev spread seems weird I would imagine "offensive" rocks runs max speed or at least enough speed to creep something
  • "Glass cannons such as Haunter and Jynx appreciate a bulky physical pokemon to pivot into after claiming a kill." This set is Offensive and isnt tank so this isnt really true
  • I think Toxic and Taunt are worth a mention in other options.
Working my way through these changes. Thank you for the detailed feedback.

Reactions: TJ

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]

• Aggron's primary function in the tier is a wallbreaker, spamming choice banded head smash
  • Aggron boasts an enormous physical defense stat and access to Sturdy allow it to alternatively function as an offensive stealth rock setter
  • Aggron has 2 four times weaknesses to common move types which severely hinder its utility in the tier
  • Aggron fits well on balanced and bulky offense teams
so this is a little too short for somth like aggron. no mention of offensive rocks, no mention of poor spdef making it ez to revenge kill, nothing about competition from other strong wallbreakers (because it as a ton of competition, even from the non rock and steel mons)

there should be more stuff here, like [set]. make sure this follows the template

move 4: Fire Punch / Superpower

Moves
========

• Head smash does huge damage even to resisted pokemon; rock head prevents recoil damage Choice banded Aggrons head smash 2HKO’s physically defensive weezing, one of the tiers premier physical walls, and physically defensive type: null. rock head is mentioned in set details, not here. also u don't need to do the calcs, they should be integrated into the explanation w/something like "head smash does huge damage, 2hkoing pokemon such as weezing and type:null". obviously that's more for when u write it up, but in several places the bullets are weirdly set up and hopefully this helps when u go to write up the analysis
  • Heavy slam allows Aggron to hit fighting and ground type pokemon neutrally. Additionally, heavy slam gives Aggron a STAB option with 100% accuracy.
  • Earthquake allows aggron to heavily damage steel type pokemon such as probopass.
  • Fire punch and super power hit pokemon such as bronzor and ferroseed who otherwise take minimal damage from Aggrons other moves

Set Details
========

• Rock Head allows Aggron to use Head Smash without taking recoil damage
  • Maximum Attack and Speed EVs, a Choice Band, and an Adamant nature allow Aggron to maximize its damage output and outspeed as much as possible
  • A jolly nature may be used to outspeed +speed natured base 45s such as Lurantis and Golem, as well as Lanturn. i would move this to other options, jolly isn't really very good. also max speed lurantis isn't a thing so remove that, and it would be better phrased as "most offensive lanturn sets" or something because lanturn can still outspeed u if it wants

Usage Tips
========

• Aggrons prominent weaknesses to common attacks prevent it from switching in freely, it should be brought in after a slow volt switch or on a resisted hit. or a double switch
  • Offensive teams will struggle to switch into head smash, and defensive teams can be quickly worn down. this isn't a usage tip, it doesn't help advise on how to use aggron. i think u might be going for something like "bring it in often to wallbreak as much as possible early game"
  • Rock-resistant pokemon can switch in on a predicted head smash and quickly gain momentum, Aggron must be careful when using head smash if the opponent has a strong bulky? rock resist
i would say something about aggron being fairly expendable late-game

Team Options
========

• Aggron is worn down quickly and has several common weaknesses, it appreciates volt turn support to safely switch in. Pokemon such as Silvally-Fairy and Mesprit provide both a fighting resist and volt-turn support.
  • Aggron appreciates hazard support to further punish switches, pokemon such as mesprit and prinplup perform this role without stacking weaknesses.
  • Aggron appreciates having a heal bell user on the team to stop it from becoming crippled by will-o-wisp examples of this?
  • Aggron fits well on balance and bulky offense teams which provide frequent switch safe switch ins and and appreciate the pressure Aggron puts on opposing walls.
fighting and ground type checks, specially bulky things to fall back on, and sweepers that like the wallbreaking should all be here

[SET]
also this set is significantly wrong D:
move 3: Earthquake this should be taunt instead
move 4: Stealth Rock
item: Leftovers this ought to be lum or shuca berry
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD this ought to be max speed, not HP

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

• Head smash allows Aggron to exert offensive pressure and potentially force a switch, which can provide a free turn to set up stealth rock
  • Heavy slam is Aggron’s steel STAB of choice, dealing large damage to the generally light weight tier.
  • Earthquake allows Aggron to threaten Skuntank, preventing it from defogging the hazards away. remove, say what taunt and rocks do. also it's a little concerning that the set is so wrong since you should only take a mon you know. so if you're not certain, taunt is for messing with several things but weezing in particular is notable

Set Details
========

• Adamant nature and max attack EVs allow Aggron to do as much damage as possible, preventing it from potentially becoming set up fodder.
  • Max HP EV’s allow Aggron to function as a defensive pivot, absorbing hits from pokemon such as Type: Null and Silvally Fairy and threatening huge damage in return. yeah it's just not meant to be a defensive pivot whatsoever. explain the speed evs
also there's no mention of what the item or ability does, both of those need to be explained here

Usage Tips
========

• Aggron has a relatively low special defense and hitpoints stat and many common weaknesses.It cannot pivot into special attacks or physical ground/fighting type attacks. it's not meant to pivot into anything too frequently
  • The offensive stealth rock set functions well as a lead versus fast, offensive teams. why? what does it do? elaborate
  • Additionally, Aggron can freely come in on slow or passive pokemon such as Miltank or Musharna; however, Aggron must be wary of Musharna running barrier.
  • Aggron beats physical skuntank that lack fire coverage if it's physical, it doesn't run fire coverage due to its high base defense and poison immunity, allowing it to repeatedly come in and set up rocks on a potential defog.
none of this really explains how to play aggron. it's setting up rocks, often early game, and sees use as a generally strong breaker too. switching into mush or skunk isn't exactly the priority here. try to elaborate more on what it does

Team Options
========

• Glass cannons such as Haunter and Jynx appreciate a bulky physical pokemon to pivot into after claiming a kill. no, that's not rly skunk's role
  • Oricorio-Sensu and Haunter particularly pair well with Aggron, as they are immune to ground and fighting type attacks and in turn Aggron provides a bulky pivot allowing Oricorio and Haunter to switch out without losing momentum yeah it's not a bulky pivot. however it is a good mon to double/u-turn into if predicting a skunk switchin so that's something, but you mention it below anyways remove this
  • Additionally, Aggron checks skuntank, which is often the biggest barrier to Oricorio-Sensu or Haunter sweeping. Teams that struggle with silvally fairy and type: null appreciate having Aggron to come in and sponge hits.
  • Teams that rely on strong offensive momentum appreciate an offensive stealth rock user that can pivot into physical attacks and force a switch back. this just sounds weird, all u need to say is that it fits on offensive teams
u can mention that aggron is fairly self sufficient, but also name some mons that appreciate rocks+wallbreaking support

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

• Aggron has alternative coverage moves that allow it to hit specific pokemon, such as aqua tail, avalanche, and ice punch. however they don't rly hit anything notable so not good options. if something in OO is bad, you should explain why
  • Alternative item options include life orb, lum berry, or stone plate. lum is on a set now so remove
  • Stealth rock Aggron can run taunt to prevent set up and opposing hazards same with this
  • Aggron has access to rock polish, allowing it to function as a late game sweeper; however, its 4x weakness to priority mach punch may prevent it from sweeping effectively.
  • A bulky stealth rock setter with toxic or roar is also viable. no, it's not viable, remove this
  • An offensive stealth rock user with taunt may also be used, but it is out classed by Archeops. no, it's not outclassed by archeops, remove this
yeah just stick with the first 2 points. u should also mention sturdy stone edge as an option on offensive rocker

Checks and Counters
=================== the formatting here is wrong, use the analysis template

Water-Types: Poliwrath and Gastrodon can both switch into Aggron freely and threaten back with STAB 4x effective moves. Offensive Water-types such as special Floatzel cannot freely switch in but threaten to OHKO if given the opportunity.

Ground-Types: Mudsdale is not 2HKO’d by banded head smash after leftovers and threatens to OHKO back with earthquake. Offensive Golurk survives any attack from the choice band set and threatens to OHKO in response I'm p sure there's more ground types worth mentioning than this, like torterra

Fighting Types: While fighting types such as hitmonchan and primeape cannot freely switch into a banded heavy slam, all 3 OHKO with their respective fighting coverage. Gurdurr is not 2HKO’d by any attack and can recover all of the damage back with drain punch. all 3 yet u only mention 2.

Faster attackers: Aggrons exploitable weaknesses, relatively low special defense, and lack of reliable recovery leave it open to being chipped down by faster attackers. Hitmonchan, Magmortar or Jynx carrying focus blast, and Haunter will do massive damage to Aggron if given the opportunity.
qcstamp.gif
implement this check and it's 1/3

View attachment 88372 implement this check and it's 1/3
I wanted to explain what I think happened with this analysis, I was using the offensive rocks set that I had listed and I was having success with it. As a result I felt like I had the knowledge to write this post effectively. Once I started to receive criticism on this post I began laddering with the max speed taunt set and built several more teams around banded Aggron to get a better feel for the areas I was struggling with. I now completely agree that the set I had listed was sub-optimal.

Thank you for the detailed feedback, I've implemented the changes you requested

[OVERVIEW]

• Aggron's primary function in the tier is a wallbreaker, spamming choice banded head smash
  • Aggron boasts an enormous physical defense stat and access to Sturdy allow it to alternatively function as an offensive stealth rock setter
  • Aggron has 2 four times weaknesses to common move types which severely hinder its utility in the tier
  • Aggrons relatively low special defense and speed leave is susceptible to being revenge killed
  • Aggron faces competition as a stealth rock user from Piloswine and Regirock, and competition as a wallbreaker from Mudsdale and Archeops i dont think mudsdale is too relevant but i guess you could mention stuff like zangoose as well
  • Aggron fits well on balanced and bulky offense teams
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

• Head smash does huge damage even to resisted pokemon
  • Choice banded Aggrons head smash does huge damage, 2HKOing pokemon such as Weezing and Type: Null
  • Heavy slam allows Aggron to hit fighting and ground type pokemon neutrally. Additionally, heavy slam gives Aggron a STAB option with 100% accuracy.
  • Earthquake allows aggron to heavily damage steel type pokemon such as probopass.
  • Fire punch and super power hit pokemon such as bronzor and ferroseed who otherwise take minimal damage from Aggrons other moves

Set Details
========

• Rock Head allows Aggron to use Head Smash without taking recoil damage
  • Maximum Attack and Speed EVs, a Choice Band, and an Adamant nature allow Aggron to maximize its damage output and outspeed as much as possible
  • A jolly nature may be used to outspeed +speed natured base 45s such as Golem and most offensive Lanturn sets
you can mention jolly lets you outrun stuff like defensive mesprit, hitmonchan and skuntank

Usage Tips
========

• Aggrons prominent weaknesses to common attacks prevent it from switching in freely, it should be brought in after a slow volt switch, on a predicted resisted hit, or a double switch (you are usually safe enough to switch against stuff like miltank, mesprit, physical skuntank so mentiona few examples)
  • Aggron should be switched in as often as possible to wallbreak in the early game
  • Rock-resistant pokemon can switch in on a predicted head smash and quickly gain momentum, Aggron must be careful when using head smash if the opponent has a strong rock resist inaccurate since even a resisted hit often takes out offensive mons like primeape so just mention to predict if there is a very bulky one like ferroseed and sandslash or else just click smash
  • Once the opposing walls have been broken Aggron becomes fairly expendable in the late-game

Team Options
========

• Aggron is worn down quickly and has several common weaknesses, it appreciates volt turn support to safely switch in. Pokemon such as Silvally-Fairy and Mesprit provide both a fighting resist and volt-turn support.
  • Aggron appreciates hazard support to further punish switches, pokemon such as mesprit and prinplup perform this role without stacking weaknesses.
  • Aggron appreciates having a heal bell user such as Granbull on the team to stop it from becoming crippled by will-o-wisp too generic and true for everything so take this out
  • Checks to fighting and ground types such as Gourgeist, Musharna, and Mesprit help Aggron wallbreak effectively swanna is good too as well as roselia/lilligant
  • Specially bulky pokemon such as Musharna and Guzzlord increase Aggrons longevity by providing safe pivots after Aggron has attacked
  • Set-up sweepers who appreciate having walls weakened like Charizard pair well with Aggron change this to late game cleaners and bring kanga, lilligant as examples since charizard is probably leaving soon
  • Aggron fits well on balance and bulky offense teams which provide frequent switch safe switch ins and and appreciate the pressure Aggron puts on opposing walls. i would put this at the top of the section

[SET]

move 3: Taunt
move 4: Stealth Rock
evs: 252 Spe / 252 Atk / 4 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

• Head smash allows Aggron to exert offensive pressure and potentially force a switch, which can provide a free turn to set up stealth rock
  • Heavy slam is Aggron’s steel STAB of choice, dealing large damage to the generally light weight tier. (mention it hits a few head smash resists hard)
  • Taunt prevents Aggron from becoming set up fodder
  • you arent mentioning stealth rock

Set Details
========

• Adamant nature and max attack EVs allow Aggron to do as much damage as possible, preventing it from potentially becoming set up fodder.
  • Max speed allows Aggron to outspeed as much as possible, taunt allows Aggron to prevent toxic spikes from Weezing and block stealth rocks from slower pokemon (mention jolly)
  • Shuca berry allows aggron to survive a ground type attack from full health, while lum allows Aggron to significantly damage will-o-wisp users such as Sableye

Usage Tips
========

• Aggron has a relatively low special defense and hitpoints stat and many common weaknesses.It cannot pivot into special attacks or physical ground/fighting type attacks. obvious so you have to reword or remove
  • The offensive stealth rock set functions well as a lead versus offensive teams where its role will be limited to setting up stealth rocks
  • Additionally, Aggron can freely come in on slow or passive pokemon such as Miltank or Musharna; however, Aggron must be wary of Musharna running barrier (you have taunt tbh)
  • Aggron beats physical skuntank due to its high base defense and poison immunity, allowing it to repeatedly come in and set up rocks on a potential defog.
integrate the suggestions i gave to the other set

Team Options
========
  • Oricorio-Sensu and Haunter pair well with Aggron, as they are immune to ground and fighting type attacks and in turn Aggron provides hazards and wallbreaking power
  • Additionally, Aggron checks skuntank, which is often the biggest barrier to Oricorio-Sensu or Haunter sweeping. Teams that struggle with silvally fairy and type: null appreciate having Aggron to come in and sponge hits.
  • Late game sweepers that appreciate wallbreaking support pair well with Aggron, including Charizard and Lilligant
  • Offensive stealth rock Aggron fits well on offensive teams
  • This Aggron set is fairly self sufficient and does not need much support to do its job
integrate the suggestions i gave to the other set

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

• Subpunch and Magnet rise (even combined) beats A LOT of its checks and is a great lure and very effective in general
  • Aggron has alternative coverage moves that allow it to hit specific pokemon, such as aqua tail, avalanche, and ice punch; however, the listed coverage moves allow Aggron to function most effectively
  • Alternative item options include life orb or stone plate.
  • Aggron has access to rock polish, allowing it to function as a late game sweeper; however, its 4x weakness to priority mach punch may prevent it from sweeping effectively. speed at +2 is also mediocre
  • Aggron can run sturdy with stone edge instead of head smash to ensure that stealth rock are set

Checks and Counters
===================

**Water-Types**: Poliwrath and Gastrodon can both switch into Aggron freely and threaten back with STAB 4x effective moves. Offensive Water-types such as special Floatzel cannot freely switch in but threaten to OHKO if given the opportunity.

**Ground-Types**: Mudsdale is not 2HKO’d by banded head smash after leftovers and threatens to OHKO back with earthquake. Offensive Golurk survives any attack from the choice band set and threatens to OHKO in response. Torterra is 2HKO'd by head smash but outspeeds and threatens to KO in return.

**Fighting Types**: While fighting types such as hitmonchan, Primeape, and Gurdurr cannot freely switch into a banded heavy slam, all 3 OHKO with their respective fighting coverage.

**Faster attackers**: Aggrons exploitable weaknesses, relatively low special defense, and lack of reliable recovery leave it open to being chipped down by faster attackers. Hitmonchan, Magmortar or Jynx carrying focus blast, and Haunter will do massive damage to Aggron if given the opportunity.

steel types??
implement and 2/3

yogi

I did not succumb...
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey! How's the write up coming? Needs to be in paragraphs before it can receive its final QC check.

yogi

I did not succumb...
[OVERVIEW]

Aggron's primary function in the tier is a wallbreaker, spamming choice banded head smash (needs to be in caps) (I'd also mention heavy slam is pretty spammable). Boasting an enormous physical defense stat and access to Sturdy, Aggron can alternatively function as an offensive stealth rock setter. Aggron has 2 four times weaknesses to common move types which severely hinder its utility in the tier. A relatively low special defense and speed leave it susceptible to being revenge killed. Aggron faces competition as a stealth rock user from Piloswine (rip) and Regirock, and competition as a wallbreaker from Zangoose and Archeops. Aggron fits well on balanced and bulky offense teams.
this feels a little static, like some of the points feel like they require some expansion and it also feels like each point is almost a bullet point still, as they feel disconnected from each other. you definitely need to expand this. also I think if you're going to mention its competition as a stealth rock setter, you'd be better comparing it to offensive ones like golem and golurk, but mentioning how access to taunt gives it a niche. it's not bad but just not up to scratch for an overview and is almost something i'd read from before qc 1

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Choice banded Aggrons head smash does huge damage, 2HKOing pokemon such as Weezing and Type: Null. Heavy slam allows Aggron to hit fighting and ground type pokemon for neutral damage (like, give a few examples; this is good when mentioning after its first stab move as it helps explain what it covers). Additionally, heavy slam is a STAB option with 100% accuracy (add this to the previous sentence). Earthquake allows Aggron to heavily damage steel types such as Probopass. Fire punch and Superpower hit pokemon such as Bronzor and Ferroseed who otherwise take minimal damage from Aggron's other moves. (fire punch hits both so I don't actually see the need for superpower here) (it should be Fighting- and Ground-types by the way, apply this to other things)

Set Details
========

Rock Head allows Aggron to use Head Smash without taking recoil damage. Maximum Attack and Speed EVs, a Choice Band, and an Adamant nature allow Aggron to maximize its damage output and outspeed as much as possible. A jolly nature may be used to outspeed most offensive Lanturn sets and defensive Mesprit, Hitmonchan, and Skuntank. (remove skuntank, no set is ever this slow) (I think something more relevant than mesprit should be used, like golem for example)

Usage Tips
========

Aggron's prominent weaknesses to common attacks prevent it from switching in freely, it should be brought in after a slow volt switch, on a predicted resisted hit, or a double switch (awkwardly worded and it feels like it runs on. i'd swap this with the second sentence actually because leading with this seems meh). Aggron can find opportunities to switch in on pokemon such as Miltank and physical Skuntank. Aggron should be switched in as often as possible to wallbreak in the early game (merge with talking about slow volt-turn and doubling because right now this contradicts the first sentence as it makes it out that it can be constantly switched in). Bulky rock-resistant pokemon can switch in on a predicted head smash and quickly gain momentum, Aggron must be careful when using head smash if the opponent has a strong rock resist (like? gastrodon and poliwrath are the most notable). A strong coverage move on a predicted switch can neutralize the rock-resist so Aggron can freely click head smash (this isn't for usage tips as it's referencing what a teammate could do, either reword or remove). Once the opposing walls have been broken Aggron becomes fairly expendable in the late-game.

Team Options
========
Aggron fits well on balance and bulky offense teams which provide frequent switch safe switch ins and and appreciate the pressure Aggron puts on opposing walls. Aggron is worn down quickly and has several common weaknesses, it appreciates volt turn support to safely switch in. Pokemon such as Silvally-Fairy and Mesprit provide both a fighting resist and volt-turn support. Aggron appreciates hazard support to further punish switches, pokemon such as Mesprit and Prinplup perform this role without stacking weaknesses. Checks to fighting and ground types such as Gourgeist, Musharna, Swanna, and Mesprit help Aggron wallbreak effectively. Specially bulky pokemon such as Musharna and Guzzlord (rip guzzlord) increase Aggrons longevity by providing safe pivots after Aggron has attacked. Late game cleaners who appreciate having walls weakened like Lilligant and Kangaskhan pair well with Aggron.

okay, similar to the overview this needs reworked. mesprit is mentioned three times throughout which is way too much, you don't mention what walls aggron actually breaks for any of its teammates. prinplup is so niche and could easily be replaced with another, more relevant, pokemon. you talk about fighting resists twice which seems redundant. overall this needs looked over again; use uploaded analyses for reference on how to structure this or pm me on discord

[SET]

move 3: Taunt
move 4: Stealth Rock (change the order so stealth rock is first, as that's what the set is featuring)
ability: Rock Head (?? you reference sturdy in the overview and it isn't featured on the set, so either remove it from there or add it here)
evs: 252 Spe / 252 Atk / 4 SpD (should be 252 atk / 4 spd / 252 spe)

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Head smash allows Aggron to exert offensive pressure and potentially force a switch, which can provide a free turn to set up stealth rock. Heavy slam is Aggron’s steel STAB of choice, dealing large damage to the generally light weight tier. Heavy slam does big damage to rock resistant pokemon such as Primeape. Taunt prevents Aggron from becoming set up fodder and prevents hazards from slower pokemon such as Weezing. Stealth rock deals damage to the opponents pokemon on a switch in. (rearrange to reflect the changes I want implemented above)

this again seems awkward, I think you need to look at other analyses to help with this or pm me. just the wording and how vague it is doesn't help

Set Details
========

• Max speed allows Aggron to outspeed as much as possible, taunt allows Aggron to prevent toxic spikes from Weezing and block stealth rocks from slower pokemon
  • Aggron can potentially run a jolly nature to outspeed pokemon such as defensive Mesprit and Hitmonchan; however, the decrease in damage output is notable
  • Shuca berry allows aggron to survive a ground type attack from full health, while lum allows Aggron to significantly damage will-o-wisp users such as Sableye
Adamant nature and max attack EVs allow Aggron to do as much damage as possible, preventing it from potentially becoming set up fodder. Max speed allows Aggron to outspeed as much as possible, taunt allows Aggron to prevent toxic spikes from Weezing and block stealth rocks from slower pokemon. Aggron can potentially run a jolly nature to outspeed pokemon such as defensive Mesprit and Hitmonchan; however, the decrease in damage output is notable. Shuca berry may allow Aggron to survive a ground type attack from full health, while lum allows Aggron to significantly damage will-o-wisp users such as Sableye.

same thing really, also no need to mention taunt here because this isn't moves. mention sturdy here if you're going to mention it. vague sentences that require expansion. what ground attacks?

Usage Tips
========

The offensive stealth rock set functions well as a lead versus offensive teams where its role will be limited to setting up stealth rocks. Additionally, Aggron can freely come in on slow or passive pokemon such as Miltank or Musharna. Aggron beats physical skuntank due to its high base defense and poison immunity, allowing it to repeatedly come in and set up rocks on a potential defog.

again really vague and rather lacking in content. I know it's not really the best stealth rock setter, but you don't talk about what utility taunt has, how it checks things, how it forces switches, etc,. I wouldn't even say it functions as that good of a lead to be honest and it comes across that it can only set

Team Options
========

This Aggron set is fairly self sufficient and does not need much support to do its job. Oricorio-Sensu and Haunter pair well with Aggron, as they are immune to ground and fighting type attacks and in turn Aggron provides hazards and wallbreaking power. Additionally, Aggron checks Skuntank, which is often the biggest barrier to Oricorio-Sensu or Haunter sweeping. Teams that struggle with Silvally-Fairy and Type: Null appreciate having Aggron to come in and sponge hits. Late game sweepers that appreciate wallbreaking support pair well with Aggron, including Kangaskhan and Lilligant. Offensive stealth rock Aggron fits well on offensive teams.

aggron does require support, same as with the band set. skunk doesn't really stop calm mind sensu sweeping and you don't mention special skuntank beats you. silv fairy often runs a mixed set which dents aggron. it's still able to wallbreaker even without choice band. mention pivot support.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Aggron has alternative coverage moves that allow it to hit specific pokemon, such as aqua tail, avalanche, and ice punch; however, the listed coverage moves allow Aggron to function most effectively. A lure set with substitute, focus punch, and magnet rise can be used to beat Aggrons usual checks such as Probopass. Alternative item options include life orb or stone plate. Aggron has access to rock polish, allowing it to function as a late game sweeper; however, its 4x weakness to priority mach punch and mediocre speed even at +2 may prevent it from sweeping effectively. Aggron can run sturdy with stone edge instead of head smash to ensure that stealth rock are set.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Water-Types**: Poliwrath and Gastrodon can both switch into Aggron freely and threaten back with STAB 4x effective moves. Offensive Water-types such as special Floatzel cannot freely switch in but threaten to OHKO if given the opportunity. (gastrodon also has reliable recovery)

**Ground-Types**: Mudsdale is not 2HKO’d by banded head smash after leftovers and threatens to OHKO back with earthquake. Offensive Golurk survives any attack from the choice band set and threatens to OHKO in response. Torterra is 2HKO'd by head smash but outspeeds and threatens to KO in return. (but defensive torterra checks it as it can take two head smashes)

**Faster attackers**: Aggrons exploitable weaknesses, relatively low special defense, and lack of reliable recovery leave it open to being chipped down by faster attackers. Hitmonchan, Magmortar or Jynx carrying focus blast, and Haunter will do massive damage to Aggron if given the opportunity. (hitmonchan is already mentioned so remove it)

*Steel Types**: Aggron sets lacking superpower struggle with steel types such as Ferroseed and Probopass. Ferroseed takes minimal damage from a banded head smash and can proceed to set up hazards, while Probopass traps Aggron and OHKO's with earth power. (but the sets usually have either superpower or more importantly fire punch) (no mention of bronzor seems weird)
Right, I'm not gonna QC stamp this just yet. I want this to see improvement before I can give it the final QC approval. PM me on Discord if you have any issues or require some help with this! Also please go through and capitalise all moves, pokemon and abilities; it'll help GP more and give them less work!

Right, I'm not gonna QC stamp this just yet. I want this to see improvement before I can give it the final QC approval. PM me on Discord if you have any issues or require some help with this! Also please go through and capitalise all moves, pokemon and abilities; it'll help GP more and give them less work!
On it. Will look at other people's written analysis as an example, may PM you if I'm still struggling.

yogi

I did not succumb...
I haven't forgotten about this, but I still have a few issues so I'll probably PM via Discord about fixing some things.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)