Other Aegislash Post-Ban Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Fckn yeah, Starmie's the tits

Edit: holy shit wait, if Mega Lopunny gets HJK + Scrappy -- maybe our Aegislash problem is solved for good... I predict many suspect tests in our future...
Lopunny won't enjoy taking a sacred sword though, and king's shield is still a thing

I havent mentioned Azumarill anywhere in my post. Ofc you go for tbolt if your up against Azu, the fact that Bisharp is 2hkoed by Tbolt is one of the reasons why i usually use toxic on Zapdos instead of Heatwave. You should read the posts you quote.
The debate had one guy quoting azu..no sure what he was thinking
And phones suck

I havent mentioned Azumarill anywhere in my post. Ofc you go for tbolt if your up against Azu, the fact that Bisharp is 2hkoed by Tbolt is one of the reasons why i usually use toxic on Zapdos instead of Heatwave. You should read the posts you quote.
Even though Heat Wave is mostly redundant when it comes to hitting Bisharp when he switches in, it's still good because without it you can't counter Mega Scizor (which is a pretty big deal), Ferrothorn has nothing to fear from you and grass types have an easier time than they should against you. Toxic can be ok, but I'd rather a coverage move like Heat Wave or HP Ice as things stand right now.

Edit: holy shit wait, if Mega Lopunny gets HJK + Scrappy -- maybe our Aegislash problem is solved for good... I predict many suspect tests in our future...
You aren't serious, are you? Please don't be serious...
I mean, the reason it was banned was because of the damn 50/50s, i.e, you'll still have to deal with whether it may/may not be running KS/WP. Either way, even with SE, it's likely to live and Sacred sword your whore ass to death.
No seriously, it looks even more like a stripper. Dammit GF.

EDIT: Also, it having a single iffy check won't mean jack shit to all the other reasons it was banned. But that doesn't matter, since this is satire, right? ...Right?

Last edited:
Lopunny won't enjoy taking a sacred sword though, and king's shield is still a thing
Cha thas true, but Lopunny I see as quite possibly being a threat depending on how the stats go (I'd guess primarily boosts to attack and speed but let's try not to speculate TOO much) as due to Scrappy, Lopunny becomes a coverage goddess. Once Scrappy is factored in, Normal/Fighting has absolutely flawless neutral STAB coverage, with only Shedinja (lol) going unscathed. However she learns zero boosting moves of note bar work up which kind of sucks, but does have Power-Up Punch (still kind of sucks). Perhaps a SubPunch set will be viable, but then again it might be more trouble that it's worth. Plus Talonflame still exists, so there's that.

Anjunadeep of course it's fucken satire, Lopunny doesn't even learn HJK (if that didn't tip you off), I was massively pro-ban during the Aegis suspect test, you think I want that shit back in OU?

Anjunadeep of course it's fucken satire, Lopunny doesn't even learn HJK (if that didn't tip you off), I was massively pro-ban during the Aegis suspect test, you think I want that shit back in OU?
It learns jump kick though kek Sorry for not stalking you, I didn't know it was required knowledge :(

Anyway, now that Aegis is gone, will Specially defensive gliscor have as much of a niche as before? I've run it for a bit post aegi-ban and it didn't seem to wall too much anymore, save for the odd gengar and espeon.

Anyway, now that Aegis is gone, will Specially defensive gliscor have as much of a niche as before? I've run it for a bit post aegi-ban and it didn't seem to wall too much anymore, save for the odd gengar and espeon.
SpDef Gliscor is also a good stall breaker, which will pretty much be it's main point now. Some say it handles Lando-I well, but you have to be wary of Knock Off if you haven't activated your orb yet which is an inconvenience, Lando is known to run HP Ice occasionally, and Calm Mind variants are still a pain.

Aight so fighting types in general got a buff from the Aegis ban, there's two in particular I'd like to discuss -- Toxicroak and Machamp. Let's start with Machamp, the least affected of the two:

ATTENTION, PLEASE READ: Before spewing off posts about how Machamp is brutally outclassed by Conkeldurr, be it known that I am fully aware of this. It lacks the movepool and comes up slightly short in terms of firepower, HOWEVER I have found it to be quite effective in this meta if utilized properly. Basically, it can run one set and one set only and is a textbook example of a niche pokemon, as it relies mostly on 'hax' to get the job done. And a lot of players see 'hax' abuse as unstrategic and uncompetitive, which yeah, it kind of is in the traditional sense, however, I prefer to see it more as utilizing game mechanics to your benefit, and see the risk/chance to not be far off from using a move like Focus Blast that relies on chance to even hit. Anyway, without further ado:

Pokedex Number - #068
Type(s) - Fighting
Base Stats - 90 HP / 130 Atk / 80 Def / 65 SAtk / 85 SDef / 55 Spe

General Analysis of Pokemon/Current Roles in OU - Machamp used to be the best fighting type in OU, then Conkeldurr came along and ruined everything. Machamp's only claim to fame at the moment is having a no-miss Dynamic Punch with 100% confusion rate, which is considered by many to be on the gimmicky side. And if you're only relying on that, it is, but here's the thing -- Dynamic Punch is a base 100 fighting-type no-miss STAB with zero drawbacks or repercussions. Conk has Focus Punch, Superpower, and Hammer Arm, but all three of those have serious drawbacks, which is why the most powerful move you ever see on most Conk sets happens to be Drain Punch. Which is good I suppose, as it supplies Conk with some longevity. However, the Machamp set I have provided bypasses the need for Drain Punch at the sacrifice of coverage (which isn't really needed with Machamp anyway). Machamp's main selling point is how difficult it is to switch into it, as you'll be hammered by a powerful fighting move in addition to being plagued with confusion upon entry. Which kind of sucks to be on the receiving end. Anyway, the reason Champ can perform this role now is he no longer needs Knock Off for coverage and can go back to smashing faces without too much concern.
Potential Moveset(s) -

RestTalk
Machamp @ Leftovers
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Dynamic Punch
- Ice Punch

Set Description:
This is literally the only set Machamp should ever run. It's the only one where he isn't brutally outclassed by Conkeldurr in every way. The EVs and nature are to take/dish out hits as best as possible. At full health he can survive a Psychic from Lando-I and OHKO with Ice Punch. Toxic Stall Gliscor, unless running Taunt, also loses to this set. Garchomp loses to this set. Bisharp and Tyranitar lose to this set. Pretty much anything with a 4x Ice or Fighting weakness loses to this set. The biggest banes to this guy are Mega Venusar, Mega Gardevoir, Mega Pinsir, Mega Medicham, the Latis, Azumarill (fairies in general, really), and Talonflame (although only Mega Gard can really switch in safely). Good partners include Tyranitar to deal with Talonflame and Pursuit Trapping the Latis, and Jirachi to handle Mega Gard/Venu/fairies. Talonflame also is not bad to have on your side, as it offensively checks Mega Pinsir/Heracross/Medicham.

Personal Opinion of the Pokemon/Conclusion:
It's pretty good at checking lotsa shit with D-Punch spam, as nothing can really safely switch in, but that's about it. Good poke, fun to use, but not super reliable and lacks some coverage.

^I won't be adding this one to the OP as it's a little *too* niche for most people, I believe, but I still think it's worth mentioning. Will be doing Toxicroak later.

I think the strength of Machamp is that it is risky to switch in a check because of the confusion. Azumarill, Pinsir and Medicham certainly do not like taking a Dynamic Punch AND confusion damage because of their sky high attack. Of course, they might not hit themselves in confusion but just the chance can really put people off hard switching into the champ. Is the resttalk really that necessary though? I know Machamp has a garbage movepool that can't really add much to the Dynamic/Ice Punch combo but a 100% accurate Stone Edge is quite tempting and doesn't he learn Bullet Punch?

I still prefer AV Machamp with kockoff and Thunderpunch speeed creeped to outspeed uninvested base 66 Some argue with base 71 but well its tricky and you lose some good bulk

I still prefer AV Machamp with kockoff and Thunderpunch speeed creeped to outspeed uninvested base 66 Some argue with base 71 but well its tricky and you lose some good bulk
That set is brutally outclassed by Conkeldurr in every way.
I think the strength of Machamp is that it is risky to switch in a check because of the confusion. Azumarill, Pinsir and Medicham certainly do not like taking a Dynamic Punch AND confusion damage because of their sky high attack. Of course, they might not hit themselves in confusion but just the chance can really put people off hard switching into the champ. Is the resttalk really that necessary though? I know Machamp has a garbage movepool that can't really add much to the Dynamic/Ice Punch combo but a 100% accurate Stone Edge is quite tempting and doesn't he learn Bullet Punch?
Again, outclassed by Conk. Honestly, unless you're using the RestTalk set it's too much effort to keep Champ alive throughout the match, making it much more trouble than he's worth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)