Walrus A very Gwenty walrus

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In 11th place with 6.8 points, Walrein with The Plagues from the Prince of Egypt

Fun movie, cool song, nice lyrics, pretty decent epic backing. Vocals don't really do it for me here, neither male vocalist is strong and the harmonies are pretty weak, backing vocals slack a bit too. Still, fun song.

Texas Cloverleaf

is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In 10th place with 7 points even, Sketchup with Unforgiveable by Natalie and Nat King Cole

So the problem I have with this song is that I'm a big fan of the original by NKC and I don't really care for Natalie's vocals when she's trying to go solo. That being said it sounds excellent when NKCs voice is the base and she's harmonizing over him so it's a tough grade for me. Hard for me to really like it when those first few verses are as clumsy as I see them.

Texas Cloverleaf

In 7th place with 7.5 points, LightWolf with I Will Be There by The Count of Monte Cristo

Wish the verses were a little more diversified. I quite like this, Mercedes has a great vocalist and Dantes is solid. They don't harmonize too well though. Well put together piece as a whole. Probably overrated a little but hits themes that I'm biased towards. Also fuck yeah count of monte cristo.

Texas Cloverleaf

In 6th place 7.8 points, Myzozoa with Sympathy by Sleater Kinney

The lead vocalist's voice works MUCH much better for this style of sound than the last one you sent me, when she sings at least. Those yelps she does are off putting as fuckkk. Backup vocalist is still good. Anyway this is good music, I dig the rhythms. Sick outro to the other song too, drummer goin' ham.

Texas Cloverleaf

In 5th place (T-4th) with 8 points, Flamestar with Endless Love by Lionel Ritchie and Diana Ross

Ahh this is nice. A super relaxing love song between two great voices. I think it runs a little long but this is very well done and something I could listen to over again.

Texas Cloverleaf

In 4th place (T-4th) with 8 points, Adam with Day Eleven: Love by Ayreon

Getting massive Zeppelin vibes from this. Not really sure how I feel about this, had to listen several times to get a bead on it. It's odd, I think I quite like this but I don't find it particularly listenable, which is a weird conundrum. High floor low ceiling I suppose.

Texas Cloverleaf

In 3rd place with 8.2 points, LordGaius with The World Will Remember Us by Bonnie and Clyde

See this does it way better than Evita, immediate build and context for a listener makes for much better standalone value as a song. Great how just as it starts to flag the tempo picks up and jumps into some really nice thematic moods, both vocalists are great too, the female vocalist is especially dynamic. The only reason this doesn't score higher is that it doesn't have much personal replayability value, I enjoy this but I couldn't listen to it consistently.

Texas Cloverleaf

In 2nd place with 8.7 points, GrannyPie with Little Talks by Of Monsters and Men

Instrumentals in this one honestly carry it to a pretty high baseline, it's an enjoyable sound. Vocalists aren't super amazing but they work pretty well in harmonizing with each other. Very listenable.

Texas Cloverleaf

In 1st place with 9.2 points, Da Letter El with It's Only Love by Bryan Adams and Tina Turner

Ah now this is a classic. Two fantastic artists of such different styles going at each other. Killer hard intro from Bryan really sets the tone for the song. Bryan's vocals are pretty standard fare from him which is to say they're good if you like him, forgettable otherwise but the instrumentals keep you hooked anyway. Then Tina kicks into gear and you're hooked again. But honestly the duet between these two hardly even matters even though they do really well when they're singing in harmonies because the instrumentals just fucking blow the roof down. That's perhaps the only complaint here, the duet vocalizings themselves really could be better but with music like this who really even cares.

Texas Cloverleaf

And the standings after cat 4!

Some slip ups have tightened the race for the top and the middle of the pack is well within striking distance of the top spots, though LG has himself a nice cushion. Even those at the bottom are only a few good submits in a row from being right back in the thick of things.

Cat 5 reveal is likely to be next weekend sometime, probably Saturday

Texas Cloverleaf

In 17th place with 4 points, Lord Gaius with Flesh Without Blood by Grimes

I can't find anything distinct in this that I actually like while there's a couple parts that are a little disturbing so I guess this is just a miss. Feels like discount Lorde.
edit bumped to 7.3, i actually like this

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)