A Primer to EV Training in Generation V

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Work in progress (mostly being written via Word). Some info may and will be incomplete for the time

Effort Values, or EVs for short, play an integral role in the performance of a Pokémon during battles. Whether you’re raising a Pokémon team to challenge some friends in friendly competition or trying to set a record-breaking streak through the Battle Subway, understanding how EVs work and how to apply them is a huge part of becoming a better player. However, unlike Pokémon Showdown where you can set EV spreads with just a few mouse-clicks, training Pokémon in the handheld games is a more involved process that requires some preparation, time, and dedication.

EV Basics
Just like with experience points, every battle that a Pokémon participates in, excluding link battles and facility battles such as the Subway, grant EVs to one or more corresponding stats depending on the defeated Pokémon and any present EV modifiers (which will be covered in the next two sections). Each Pokémon can accumulate up to a maximum of 510 EVs, with a maximum of 255 EVs per stat. However, EVs are calculated in intervals of four, with a Pokémon’s stat increasing by 1 for every 4 EVs at level 100 (granting up to a total increase of 63 points to an individual stat). As a result of this, EVs technically cap out at a maximum of 252 EVs per stat and 508 EVs total; if you max two stats, you can use the remaining EVs on a third stat to increase it by 1, but the remaining two EVs will never be useful towards stat calculation.

Prep Work and Items in Gen V That Assist in EV Training
WIP

EV Training Hotspots in B/W
To Be Added

EV Training Hotspots in B2/W2
To Be Added

Example

To Be Added

Join Avenue in B2/W2
To Be Added

Erasing EVs
To Be Added

Conclusion
To Be Added

Last edited:

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
staff of this forum had fallen asleep and so had this forum but that ends now, Xen what's the status on this / are you still up for doing this?

Xen

Wi-Fi Leader
Oh, I ended up getting swamped with some irl issues and actually forgot I was working on this. My apologies.

Yeah I'm still good with working on this. I have a more up-to-date version saved on my computer; I'll update the post here and spruce up the details so that it'll be ready for QC and GP by the weekend.

Xen

Wi-Fi Leader
Sorry for the double-post, but I've been thinking about it over the weekend while I was out sick, and I think it would probably be best to go ahead and pass this (along with the Gen VI one that I reserved iirc?) along to someone else. My weeks are starting to get busy again and idk how much time I would be able to invest into these for the time being. I apologize for the inconvience.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)