SM OU A new Celesteela in the meta

Hello, and thanks for checking my RMT, it really means a lot to me. Now, into the team : The team is an autotomise celesteela team. It works as a balaced-offensive team, with 3 strong hitters, 1 set-up mon,
and 2 defensive mons with rocks and defog.I have been away from SM OU, so this is the first team that I built and a long time. It has proven itself quite effective in most cases, helping me strike a rating of 1474-1500 in a matter of few hours, and including setbacks from my efforts to build another team, which failed missserably. Anyways, let's take a look into the team:

Celesteela :

TheNewMeta (Celesteela) @ Groundium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Autotomize
- Air Slash
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake

When I started, I knew I wanted a team with an offensive Celesteela, simply cause I had never used it. And so it became my first mon. I loved the fact that it could use strong fire type moves as well as flying moves, which renders many teams completely exposed to its attacks. Moreover, the beast boost grants me essentially a dual set up, if I manage to kill a mon.
By now, you will have noticed that it does not carry giga drain or the Flynium Z. This is where I had the most fun of all. Tectonic Rage from this Set, KOs all the usual Heatran, Koko and Magnezone sets you will find around the competitive scene. With those threats and counters out of the way, Celesteela can have the time of its life munching through the opposing team even in early game ! More over, should you opponent have Koko/ Heatran AND Magne, +1 Fireblast OHKOs the later with ease. It also deals a solid 70.7 - 83.6 % to most non-mega Tyranitars. AV Magearna takes 63-75%, meaning that with little work one can easily muscle its way through it. I see no reason to run Giga Drain when you can simply obliterate the counters with a Z move. Gren is a bad boii, because if it is at full health it can cause trouble, but the health needed to be chipped can be taken care of with rocks easily.

Landorus-Therian :

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 24 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Lando is a solid rocker, with the ability intimidate to soften hits from offensive mons and also provided an electric immunity to the team. The set is pretty standard, and does a really good job against any opposing team. It also provides a nice stab EQ for any secondary, bulky steel types the opponent might have, easing considerably the amount of damage and work Cele has to do. You can also run the rocky helmet as an item, although I really like the longevity lefties provide. As usual, hp ice for Landos, Zygards, Garchomps, and any flying mon. U-turn is used for momentum.

Tapu Fini

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness
- Moonblast
- Defog

Also a set straight from smogon's page. Max speed to taunt with ease opposing Finis and adamand, offensive Landos and generally bulky mons that can cause trouble with status moves. Natures madness does a nice wall-breaking. Moonblast is a solid stab fairy move to hit any fighting/ dark/ dragon mon. Defog the main reason I used it, being one of the best defoggers in the game from what I remember. Catching your opponent on a false prediction could end up costly for him, since you are able to remove entry hazards AND AURORA VIEL, which can harm the team badly.

Zygarde

Zygarde @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage
- Toxic

Zygarde is a solid stall breaker Imo, since it deals damage to any mon, no matter what its typing. Thousand arrows is truly a strong move, and you should not be afraid to abuse it. Extreme speed is a really nice priority, which is always needed in a team imo. Outrage is its strongest hitting move, and hits CharizardY for OHKO. Toxic is a solid move for incoming Tangrowths, since it cripples them for the rest of the game, greatly limiting their ability to tank hits

Marowak-Alolan

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Fire Punch
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake

This boii is specially crafted. The speed I gave him ensures that I outspeed Clefable and am able to hit after or without setting up. EQ is a really nice move to carry, since Lando is the rocker, and allows me to hit Toxapex & Tyranitar for super effective damage, while offering a nice middle ground play when unsure about whether your opponent goes to ferro or not. Most importantly, it counters Koko and Magearna, which can cause trouble to Cele before it sets up( AV Mage needs to be worn down). Swords dance allows you to become powerhouse against stall and bulky mons. Especially when against ferrothorns, which enjoy protecting before switching. If you get that right, any mon that faces your next attack will suffer. If you see a lando coming, shadow bone is a solid play, dealing 68.5 - 80.8% to a defensive Lando. Overall, this little guy is more than usefull.

Greninja-Ash

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- U-turn/ Ice Beam

Ash-Greninja is able to deal heavy damage with its special attacks, and, looking how the team seemed to be lacking a second sp attack mon, it was the choice. Hydro pump is its strongest move, dealing devastating damage to a great amount of pokemon, while dark pulse is offers it the ability to hit with 100% accuracy and neutrality on the grass types. Water Shuriken is the second priority of the team, lacking some power from times to times compared to Zygarde's extreme speed, but offers multi-striking.
I personally use U-turn as the last slot move, although it should not discourage you from running Ice beam for dragons, Lando and Grass types.

Hope you liked my team and I will be happy to hear any suggestions

Ollie Wanders​

Last edited:
Reactions: BP
Pretty cool team. I would consider this a bulky offense imo. I notice that you decided to use Tapu Fini as your defogger. I would recommend changing Tapu Fini to Mew so it doesn't hinder your team as much. What I mean by this is that Tapu Fini can get chipped quite a bit and it's only recovery is Leftovers which can be knocked off. Also Misty Terrain can hinder Zygarde's Outrage quite a bit. While Mew can shut down most physical attackers and has a recovery move on top of Leftovers.

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 140 Def / 16 SpD / 112 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Ice Beam
- Soft-Boiled
- Defog

Next I would suggest you changing Alola Marowak to Charizard Y to better help you against weather teams and gives you a strong wallbreaker for your team. With the addition of Mew, it'll really help Charizard Y come in quite a bit.

Charizard-Mega-Y (M) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast / Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost

Also to better improve your RMT, you can add a threat list to the team so others can better help you with your team and add replays so some people know how this team plays. Hope these changes helped you out.​

Pretty cool team. I would consider this a bulky offense imo. I notice that you decided to use Tapu Fini as your defogger. I would recommend changing Tapu Fini to Mew so it doesn't hinder your team as much. What I mean by this is that Tapu Fini can get chipped quite a bit and it's only recovery is Leftovers which can be knocked off. Also Misty Terrain can hinder Zygarde's Outrage quite a bit. While Mew can shut down most physical attackers and has a recovery move on top of Leftovers.

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 140 Def / 16 SpD / 112 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Ice Beam
- Soft-Boiled
- Defog

Next I would suggest you changing Alola Marowak to Charizard Y to better help you against weather teams and gives you a strong wallbreaker for your team. With the addition of Mew, it'll really help Charizard Y come in quite a bit.

Charizard-Mega-Y (M) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast / Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost

Also to better improve your RMT, you can add a threat list to the team so others can better help you with your team and add replays so some people know how this team plays. Hope these changes helped you out.​
Thank you for the feedback ! You are right about both from what I can see, and my guess is that when I test the team with the improvements that you have added, it will do better. Once a few test runs are done, the thread will be updated accordingly ^^. Have a lovely day

With the changes mentioned above, the team is a strong offensive presence, however, with Fini gone there is no real answer to dark pulse from a specs Greninja, be it Ash or normal. In theory, every time it comes in it can chip away about 50% health of every team member, while there is also a 20% flinch chance. That said, I feel like the Zard should stay in for its powerful wall-breaking abilities, but Mew can not take Fini's part :/, also, I noticed that The outrage Zygarde carries is not often used, since it essentially traps it after 1 successful hit, and the fairy types that lurk around the tier love that. I found myself essentially spamming thousand arrows, except for when I was faced with a Chansey or such a wall. Taking their longevity into consideration, it is easy to stall out the Misty Terrain.

Have a lovely day

P.S. Making Marowak leave the team exposes it to Tapu Koko, a very common threat of the tier

Last edited:
With the changes mentioned above, the team is a strong offensive presence, however, with Fini gone there is no real answer to dark pulse from a specs Greninja, be it Ash or normal. In theory, every time it comes in it can chip away about 50% health of every team member, while there is also a 20% flinch chance. That said, I feel like the Zard should stay in for its powerful wall-breaking abilities, but Mew can not take Fini's part :/, also, I noticed that The outrage Zygarde carries is not often used, since it essentially traps it after 1 successful hit, and the fairy types that lurk around the tier love that. I found myself essentially spamming thousand arrows, except for when I was faced with a Chansey or such a wall. Taking their longevity into consideration, it is easy to stall out the Misty Terrain.

Have a lovely day

P.S. Making Marowak leave the team exposes it to Tapu Koko, a very common threat of the tier
In that case you may wanna try running Mega Venusaur over Zard Y, as it is a great Tapu Koko and Greninja switch in assuming it doesn't have extrasensory. It can easily eat up a dark pulse and synthesis back up. There is no drawback for you running Venusaur other than you lose Zard Y as a wallbreaker but you have specs Ash-Greninja and CB Zygarde which destroy teams.

[hide="M-Venusaur Set]
Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Def / 156 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain / Earthquake
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power Fire
[/hide]

I would then say to keep the Mew set recommended over Tapu Fini as it is a better defogger, and the given speed on it lets you outspeed Adamant Zygarde and Lando.

Thank you so much for checking up on the thread again, and going into the trouble of coming up with another idea, to back me up. Really appreciate it. I will run some tests again, and come back with the feedback.
Have a lovely day

The changes you have suggested leave Zygarde as the only mon that can damage Chansey, If faced with a bad mind game it pretty much ends with me losing. So, while Venusaur-M does give a glorious defensive prowess to team, the original has proven itself more effective.
Have a lovely day

That is fair enough a good answer to Chansey would be to run Trapper Heatran or the Z Wild Charge Tapu Koko, Tapu Koko baits in Chansey and it can remove it with the Z move. But you would need to play around not revealing it too soon. Just some options you could consider, sorry changes didn't help all too much. C ya :)

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
I'd agree that Fini does hinder this team more than it helps. However, Mew creates bad holes to Ash-Greninja. Thus, I'd recommend Mantine over Tapu Fini.
Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 240 HP / 196 Def / 72 SpD
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Scald
- Toxic / Haze
- Defog
This mon prevents Greninja from transforming, and even if it does transform, it can't break past it:
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Dark Pulse vs. 240 HP / 72+ SpD Mantine: 144-169 (38.8 - 45.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Mantine also serves as a solid defogger for Alowak and an answer to Volcarona, whom I can see giving this team lots of issues.
Overall, nice team! Tectonic Rage Celesteela is something I never thought of!

Mantine seems solid ! I will try it out and update you on the progress....Hehe, Yeah, it can really mess things up for my opponent if they try to wall it through resistances. There is no feeling like KOing an opposing Heatran / Koko, forcing the opponent to lose :D.
Have a lovely day

I'd agree that Fini does hinder this team more than it helps. However, Mew creates bad holes to Ash-Greninja. Thus, I'd recommend Mantine over Tapu Fini.
Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 240 HP / 196 Def / 72 SpD
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Scald
- Toxic / Haze
- Defog
This mon prevents Greninja from transforming, and even if it does transform, it can't break past it:
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Dark Pulse vs. 240 HP / 72+ SpD Mantine: 144-169 (38.8 - 45.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Mantine also serves as a solid defogger for Alowak and an answer to Volcarona, whom I can see giving this team lots of issues.
Overall, nice team! Tectonic Rage Celesteela is something I never thought of!
Terribly sorry for the delay, my studies got the best of me. The only problem with Mantine is that it is a defoger but also weak to rocks. Still with proper plays it can be a beast, recovering back any lost health. I did not notice much of a difference, but the thread will be uploaded soon. THANK YOU

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)