Singles 3v3 General Discussion

A lot of the glalie counters I've seen being mentioned lose to the earthquake/freeze dry set which completely wrecks the listed counters. Am I the only one seeing that set as I'd encountered over 10 glalie and they've all ran that set except one

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
A lot of the glalie counters I've seen being mentioned lose to the earthquake/freeze dry set which completely wrecks the listed counters. Am I the only one seeing that set as I'd encountered over 10 glalie and they've all ran that set except one
I have seen a few Earthquake ones actually. I think that might be why some of the Lapras I saw were running Perish Song. In general, Perish Song is bad news for Glalie. Lapras is the best user of it against Glalie, but Alolan Marowak and Primarina can use it in clutch scenarios since they aren't going to get OHKOed without the right boosts.

I figure this is the spot to put the 1.1 update news via http://www.serebii.net/index2.shtml

A brand new patch has been released for the Generation VII Pokémon games. This patch brings the game up to Version 1.1 and provides a few updates. The patch is 296 blocks to download. These patches are required to go online on your games and required to participate at official events. This patch fixes the previously announced glitch with the moves Z-Parting Shot and Z-Memento on Battle Spot and a glitch in regards to the winner of a game if Rocky Helmet knocks the opponent out when you're knocked out. It also fixes the glitch where a Pokémon wouldn't learn a move when it evolved such as with Kadabra and Confusion

Decently important Z moves, I'd say.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I figure this is the spot to put the 1.1 update news via http://www.serebii.net/index2.shtml

A brand new patch has been released for the Generation VII Pokémon games. This patch brings the game up to Version 1.1 and provides a few updates. The patch is 296 blocks to download. These patches are required to go online on your games and required to participate at official events. This patch fixes the previously announced glitch with the moves Z-Parting Shot and Z-Memento on Battle Spot and a glitch in regards to the winner of a game if Rocky Helmet knocks the opponent out when you're knocked out. It also fixes the glitch where a Pokémon wouldn't learn a move when it evolved such as with Kadabra and Confusion

Decently important Z moves, I'd say.
Yeah, I plan on testing out Z-Alolan Perisan myself next season in light of this news. Might pair it with some cool sweepers like Mega Salamence. I'll try it on Silvally too, though that doesn't have as much physical bulk or Speed.

Yeah, I plan on testing out Z-Alolan Perisan myself next season in light of this news. Might pair it with some cool sweepers like Mega Salamence. I'll try it on Silvally too, though that doesn't have as much physical bulk or Speed.
Silvally is a cool mon but gf were greedy with him. No good stats, no good moverpool.

Alolan persian sure is interesting lol

Guys a quick question regarding a mixed set for Tapu Koko.
Does the poke need to invest on attack or not at all?
Semi rookie myself so dont know if it is worth investing on attack in order to reach certain benchmarks. Thanks in advance.

Guys a quick question regarding a mixed set for Tapu Koko.
Does the poke need to invest on attack or not at all?
Semi rookie myself so dont know if it is worth investing on attack in order to reach certain benchmarks. Thanks in advance.
You need a minimum of 172 Atk EVs if you want to score the 2HKO on bulky Marowak-Alola with Brave Bird; 100 if it's fully offensive instead. Other than that, there's nothing worth the investment before bank is out—not on a mixed set, at least.

Now that the z-move glitch is fixed, is Z-Memento viable in 3vs3, and which users ?
Will Pokebank (and ORAS stuff) change anything for Z-Memento and Z-PShot users ?

I think only two good memento users are Muk-A and Chandelure as Trick room setter.
After pokebank, i think Latios and ralts' line have a good chance.

For parting shot now and after the only good users are Silvally (but no drives no RKS System) and Persian-A.

Check and counters for Marokaw-A?
Inceniroar, then?
I have a good team for bss, but it has "a few" problems when Marowak-A switch on my Tapu Koko and then use Will-O-Wisp. lol

Stats for S1 are out guys. And oh boy, color me surprised, Garchomp has actually fallen to 2nd place (Tapu Koko being #1) and Kangaskhan isn't even among the top 10 ( I guess losing Power-up Punch and Parental Bond's nerf really did the trick ). But other than that, nothing really surprising. I do expect things to change dramatically once bank is out, though.

Don't know if this is the best place for it, but the PGL has released usage stats for Season 2 of Rating Battles.
https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/battle/#single
It looks like Tapu Koko is #1, Garchomp is #2, and Mimikyu is #3. Gyarados was also the most popular Mega, being #4 in usage.
I haven't played any cart yet, so I was surprised to see Lucario being the 9th most used Pokemon (and 2nd most used mega).

In other exciting news, Pokemon Bank has finally been released!! (Though as of this post the E-shop is under maintenance) So get ready for a huge meta shift!

I haven't played any cart yet, so I was surprised to see Lucario being the 9th most used Pokemon (and 2nd most used mega).
Same.

He looks like a valid way to beat down threats like Mimikyu, Porygon 2 and Tapu Lele, and i think he does good damage with close combact on celesteela.

Anyway it's really weird that Salamence is not the second most used mega.

With the release of Pokebank, what do you think the new meta will look like? Which pokemons will get better/worse/outclassed, etc?

I remember some people speculating about Thundurus vs Tapu Koko as electric lead (in the early season1), because Thundurus has more utility with Prankster+Taunt/TWave and a higher SpA (lower Spe tho).
Do you think Tapu Koko will fall, after being the N°1 Pokemon in the first (non-pokebank) Season of BSS?

Are there any other pokemons that could meet the same fate? Which ones could shine along with the alolan Pokemons?

Last edited:

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
i think tapu koko is a lot better than thundurus, for a number of reasons:
a) prankster has diminished a lot in usefulness with the addition of tapu lele and the dark-type's immunity to prankster, meaning that thundurus is now checked by such threats as scarf hydreigon as opposed to the other way around;
b) tapu koko sits at a fantastic speed tier, which makes it faster than threats to thundurus' existence such as weavile and greninja. it also hits harder with its electric stab;
c) electric/flying typing is pretty good defensively but electric/fairy is better, and koko at least has dazzling gleam to sort-of make use of its secondary stab; and
d) lastly, and most importantly, paralysis is not nearly as good as it used to be. thunder wave can now miss, which will impact its viability on thundurus considerably, and paralysis only halves speed as opposed to quartering it, which no longer guarantees that teammates above a certain speed bracket will always be faster than a paralysed foe. add in the dark-type buff and thundurus is a hell of a lot worse than it was last gen, to the point where i'd be willing to predict that thundurus-therian will see more use (electric terrain thunderbolts are going to hurt on typespam archetypes).

speaking of tapu koko, it's gained a whole array of new checks that'll keep it from running the tier like it did in prebank (i'm thinking primarily excadrill and ferrothorn but i'm sure there are more that i can't think of rn) but it's way too good to fall out of the top 10 imo, for the time being at least.

edit: rotom-heat! that's a huge problem for all of the tapus except for lele

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
With the release of Pokebank, what do you think the new meta will look like? Which pokemons will get better/worse/outclassed, etc?

I remember some people speculating about Thundurus vs Tapu Koko as electric lead (in the early season), because Thundurus has more utility with Prankster+Taunt/TWave and a higher SpA (lower Spe tho).
Do you think Tapu Koko will fall, after being the N°1 Pokemon in the first (non-pokebank) Season of BSS?

Are there any other pokemons that could meet the same fate? Which ones could shine along with the alolan Pokemons?
There are so many good Fire-types coming back like Charizard, Blaziken, Rotom-H, Heatran, Entei and Volcarona. This very likely means a decrease in Celesteela usage.

Greninja will probably be pretty good, well really anything with a good speed stat lol. The current meta feels pretty slow and bulky so it'll probably get more fast and offensive. However stall will be loving having Gliscor back.

I'm also predicting some of the old gen 5 GBU gem abusers are going to love Z moves, think stuff like Groundium Z Excadrill on sand teams, and Draconium Z Latios blowing stuff up. I think the Z moves are a little weaker than gems were but they'll still be strong.

Ferrothorn's physdef set was the gold standard last gen, but I think it'll be spdef more often now. This meta seems to be more specially-inclined and Ferro has a great typing for taking on stuff like Tapu Koko, Tapu Lele, Porygon2, and Latios.

I'm excited to get it into this meta because I think it'll be way more balanced than it currently is, but i'm dreading having to relearn it x_x

Thick Fat Azumarill

Certified Pasta Enjoyer
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
i think tapu koko is a lot better than thundurus, for a number of reasons:
a) prankster has diminished a lot in usefulness with the addition of tapu lele and the dark-type's immunity to prankster, meaning that thundurus is now checked by such threats as scarf hydreigon as opposed to the other way around;
b) tapu koko sits at a fantastic speed tier, which makes it faster than threats to thundurus' existence such as weavile and greninja. it also hits harder with its electric stab;
c) electric/flying typing is pretty good defensively but electric/fairy is better, and koko at least has dazzling gleam to sort-of make use of its secondary stab; and
d) lastly, and most importantly, paralysis is not nearly as good as it used to be. thunder wave can now miss, which will impact its viability on thundurus considerably, and paralysis only halves speed as opposed to quartering it, which no longer guarantees that teammates above a certain speed bracket will always be faster than a paralysed foe. add in the dark-type buff and thundurus is a hell of a lot worse than it was last gen, to the point where i'd be willing to predict that thundurus-therian will see more use (electric terrain thunderbolts are going to hurt on typespam archetypes).

speaking of tapu koko, it's gained a whole array of new checks that'll keep it from running the tier like it did in prebank (i'm thinking primarily excadrill and ferrothorn but i'm sure there are more that i can't think of rn) but it's way too good to fall out of the top 10 imo, for the time being at least.
It's a shame Thundurus doesn't get the terrain effects, Electric Terrain boosted TBolts coming from him really sounds scary.

With Bank out, we also get Suicune and Cresselia, with their awesome bulk and walling abilities. I can see Suicune continuing to be one one of BSS' top walls, but it can be now be stopped by Z-moves, Koko and Fini, which also deny it recovery, and Bulu, but it risks getting burned, making me believe that Cresselia might be slightly better, although Z-moves are a problem to her as well.

I'm really excited for this new meta, but teambuilding will be so hard with so many things to take into account ;-;

1) Like cant say said, many fire types are coming back. We had chandelure, which IMO was underrated till now (infiltrator is coming) and arcanine. Heatran and Rotom-H seems to be major choices since both have good defenses against actual metagame. QD Volcarona + firium/bugunium Z + HP ground might be something at this scenario.

2) Next, ES Dragonite is coming back too! The season 17 at ORAS was dominated by fast and offensive mons, like the Khan + Dnite + Volcarona. The old Lucario + DDnite + azumarill (now, with Z-move) seems to be promising.

3) Ferrothorn as tank/stall. It can take tapus (except HP fire lele). But if my statement (1) is true, then I think that FWG cores or the Azumarill + Ferro + dragon, making the fairy-steel-dragon core, be common too.

4) Since many things are coming back, I'm taking my old ORAS BSS team and add 1 or 2 mons to take the threats from Season 1. :)

Last edited:
Planning on using Volcarona again in gen 7 since currently it seems a very viable pokemon. My question is Hp ground or ice for Volcarona?(both are good but can't set seem to decide myself :D)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)