2012 VGCS Winter Battle - Biosci wins!

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I can't check my rating online. Does that mean I got DCed due to too many disconnects or something like that? My Black 2 says the game has ended and gave me a rating of 1649 (14-0-1), but didn't tell me anything about being DC. I have not received a Custap Berry.

Ended up finishing this tourney with 1936 with a record of 105-17, with 5 DCs and 2 Draws. So with 124 battles leaving my DC rate as a nice 4%.

I used a rain team I made that included new options that we got like Helping Hand+Icy Wind Politoed and Thundurus-T. The full team was Politoed/Kingdra/Cresselia/Infernape/Thundurus-T/Metagross. Metagross was no doubt the most useless Pokemon on this team and I'm gonna replace it for something else that I've been theorying during the tourney which should help the team get by it's bigger threats like Latios, Tyranitar, and Cresselia.

It was a fun tourney, really hope 1936 is enough for t16 for those regional byes >.<
Congrats on winning the tournament!!

I might have played you; I lost to a team with Politoed, Kingdra, and Thundurus-T (can't remember the other Poke but I think it was Metagross). Did you use Thundurus-T with a Choice Scarf and Hidden Power Flying, and Kingdra had Lum Berry with Substitute, Draco Meteor, Muddy Water and Protect? I used Hariyama, Chandelure, Breloom, and Latios. You lead with Politoed + Kingdra, swapped out Kingdra first turn, and before I lost, Latios' Draco Meteor missed twice against Kingdra behind a Sub and Thundurus-T in that order. I was 'BORG'

Biosci

Danger!?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SCL Champion
Thanks!

My Thundurus-T had Choice Specs not Scarf, and my Kingdra had LO not Lum. I really didn't lead Politoed Kingdra all that much this tourney or use Sub all that much for that matter. I'm fairly certain you played someone with a similar team who's name on Smogon is BlitznBurst(Maybe).

I've asked Pokémon company about my situation on this tournament, here is their Answer:

Dear Daniel ****,

A solution for your issue has been suggested.

Hey Daniel,

Players must meet the following criteria before they are displayed in the rankings of Pokémon Wi-Fi tournaments:

Complete the minimum number of matches, as outlined in the rules for each tournament
Maintain a matches started to matches completed ratio below the disqualification threshold
*There are additional requirements to be met for player's to receive Championship Points.

Pokémon Organized Play is committed to creating a fun, fair online tournament experience. We believe that players who disconnect mid-match, whether intentional or not, create a negative experience for the community. The disqualification threshold is used to discourage this behavior. While we do announce the minimum number of matches that a player must complete to qualify for the rankings, we do not announce the disqualification threshold.

Unfortunately, when a mid-match disconnect occurs, technical limitations of the Wi-Fi server prevent us from identifying which player initiated the disconnect. Both players are credited with the disconnect, creating a “false positive” for the player who did not initiate the disconnect. These false positives are not ideal and Pokémon Organized Play continually evaluates how best to mitigate the effect these have on the community.

We believe players who are attempting to legitimately compete in a Wi-Fi tournament will complete the vast majority of the matches they start. Players can mitigate the effects of false positives by reducing the likelihood of their own unintentional disconnects while battling. Using a secure, stable Wi-Fi connection and turning off the game system after exiting the game’s Wi-Fi tournament menu can mean the difference between appearing in the rankings and exceeding the disqualification threshold.

While Pokémon Organized Play provides some leeway for disconnects, it is possible for a player to exceed the disqualification threshold by accumulating enough false positives. If you believe that you have been excluded from the rankings through no fault of your own, we sincerely apologize. We will continue to refine our processes within the confines of the current technical limitations and work toward overcoming these limitations in the future. We appreciate your continued support and hope to see you participate in the next Wi-Fi tournament.

-Pokémon Support
Thanks for posting that, very informative.
That system really sucks -.-

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
^ That's the reason why they implemented the hour ban directly into the B&W2 carts, but of course, we can see how well that has worked for all of us. It's a start at least. I'm hoping for Pokemon X & Y, they'll add a cart-based penalty that reduces your rating by half once you sign back on after DCing, kinda like how the old Yu-Gi-Oh WC DS games used to do.

Now onto my main post, if you were disqualified from the rankings, do you also lose the privilege to obtain the Custap Berry from the Promotions page? It's not available to me. I'll be livid if I cannot at least get the berry after being wrongfully kicked out of what would've been 48th place for me. :/

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Now onto my main post, if you were disqualified from the rankings, do you also lose the privilege to obtain the Custap Berry from the Promotions page? It's not available to me. I'll be livid if I cannot at least get the berry after being wrongfully kicked out of what would've been 48th place for me. :/
Yes, you lose the privilege it's only for people who ranked, this sucks -__-

I ranked and I still didn't get my custap berry.

*Checks the Promotions page to get berry*
*berry isn't listed*

Wadda hell man |: Is it only for those who not only made it on the list but also ranked high enough for championship points (pretty sure I didn't)?

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Yes, you lose the privilege it's only for people who ranked, this sucks -__-
*Facepalm.png*

...I hope both Nintendo and Disconnectors both learn from this, though I have my doubts either of them will.

Welp, guess I'm stuck with trying to find one via Share Shelves.

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I ranked and I still didn't get my custap berry.

*Checks the Promotions page to get berry*
*berry isn't listed*

Wadda hell man |: Is it only for those who not only made it on the list but also ranked high enough for championship points (pretty sure I didn't)?
nah Biosci tells me the promotion he didn't get the option in the Promotions page either, so safe bet they still haven't added it/something went wrong...

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Thanks!

My Thundurus-T had Choice Specs not Scarf, and my Kingdra had LO not Lum. I really didn't lead Politoed Kingdra all that much this tourney or use Sub all that much for that matter. I'm fairly certain you played someone with a similar team who's name on Smogon is BlitznBurst(Maybe).
I just learnt how to check my GBU Wifi Competition record. The trainer was called Blitz. I think he's the player you're referring to. He deserved to win that match, despite my two misses.

For those who are unsure if they qualified or not, they should check their GBU Wifi Competition record. I was unhappy to see a blank next to my ranking. Too many people DCed on me. I cannot get my Custap Berry and Light Metal Scizor. As payback to Pokemon for stripping me of my well-earned privilege, I'm hacking these things onto my game. Pokemon can't stop me from getting my prizes.

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I was hoping to get a custap for at least fairly participating, looks like I'll have to bug a qualifier for one unfortunately.

goddammit I cant get the custap berry because my flash player is not updated. a link to the latest version would be great (if allowed) if anyone could post on for me

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This was my closing remark concerning my not getting custap berry:
Overall I am disappointed that I have been unfortunate enough to face too many opponents that would rather turn off their games rather than accepting a loss therefore cheating me out of a win and ultimately cheating me out of the enjoyment of the entire participation especially when tournament points and rare items are at stake. I wish there was a physical way to determine whom actually turned off power to their games and whom actually saw the "connection with the other person has been lost" message then proceeds to seek another match. I know online simulators are able to credit such opponents that disconnect with a loss while the other automatically gets the win.
On the bright side, one of my dream pals had a custap berry on shelf so I was able to get mine legitimately that way. At least I had the courtesy to swap with an extra occa berry I had available.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)