2010 music

Spent the last couple of days listening to Curren$y's Pilot Talk II. I eat up everything this guy says. I love how well he is executing his whole persona in this album.

Gave Tyga's Well Done a listen. The mixtape starts off great, imitating what most New York rappers want, hard songs that are club bangers but as the tape progresses it becomes worse and worse. Its like after the 6th track everything got replaced with shitty attempts at pop songs.

Also listened to a few Decemberists b-sides from the gmail. Some pretty good stuff. (Makes me wish I played more than just a bass and guitar)

Giving a few other albums/EPs a listen.

Girls - Broken Hearts Club
How to Dress Well - Love Remains
Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest
No Age - Everything In Between

I think Ill write up some stuff on Girls for the heck of it

the new Tobacco EP is awesome.

really hope it's indicative of the direction he's taking the project on his next full length.

Had a chance to listen to Girl Talk's All Day today.

I gotta say it really is a mashup and nothing more. His selection this time around was excellent but his execution was very poor. FFS he used Aphex Twin's Windowlicker!

Ok I'm too lazy to do a full review of the new Senses Fail cd, but here's my thoughts.

1) It's a mix of their harder, screamo stuff (ie "New Years Eve") and their softer, more poppy stuff (ie "Saint Anthony"). Odds are you'll like one or the other.

2) Senses Fail has always been known for vocal-centric songs, and here their lyrics and rhyme schemes are quite metaphorical and sophisticated, respectively.

3) Most of the songs are good (The Fire, Safehouse, Headed West, Saint Anthony), a few of them kinda suck (I hated New Years Eve).

4) Still not as good as their magnum opus Still Searching.

What do you think?

I enjoyed The Fire; it had a nice clean sound - even the screams somehow sounded clean. I haven't heard whole albums by them to compare The Fire to, so I can't comment on that. One of my favorites from the album is "Lifeboats".

Another album that I enjoyed from this year was Arcade Fire's The Suburbs. I realize now, after reading some reviews, that it probably wasn't the right place tow start listening to Arcade Fire, and I plan to listen to Funeral and Neon Bible eventually. Pertaining to the album, I thought that each song had its own distinctive sound, and the album really flowed. A few of my favorites were "The Suburbs", "Sprawl II", and "Month of May", but I really enjoyed the album as a whole.

Swarm of the Sun: Zenith
Clinging to the Tress of a Forest Fire: Songs of Ill Hope and Desperation
My Epic: Yet
The Glitch Mob: Drink the Sea
Dead Fader: Corrupt My Examiner
Film Noir: Ilolinna
Kyte: Dead Waves
Love.Stop.Repeat: Remembering
Mains de Givre: Esther Marie
Architect: Consume Adapt Create
Anklebiter: I Will Wait
Proem: Enough Conflict
The Seven Fields of Aphelion: Periphery

though i'm pretty appalled by your low rankings of several of my favorites. >:|

i didn't even bother with making an metal recommendations, since you think so poorly of the new Mouth of the Architect EP, which is fucking glorious. >:[

EDIT: in other news, this will be my last week of listening to new 2010 stuff. after that i will begin the painful process of selecting my top 10 "metal" and my top 10 "not metal" albums of the year. and then reviews will be written. :toast:

just added 43 albums for this weeks listening. :naughty:

Swarm of the Sun: Zenith
Clinging to the Tress of a Forest Fire: Songs of Ill Hope and Desperation
My Epic: Yet
The Glitch Mob: Drink the Sea
Dead Fader: Corrupt My Examiner
Film Noir: Ilolinna
Kyte: Dead Waves
Love.Stop.Repeat: Remembering
Mains de Givre: Esther Marie
Architect: Consume Adapt Create
Anklebiter: I Will Wait
Proem: Enough Conflict
The Seven Fields of Aphelion: Periphery

i didn't even bother with making an metal recommendations, since you think so poorly of the new Mouth of the Architect EP, which is fucking glorious. >:[
thanks alot; those idm albums looks pretty interesting

and i'll relisten to The Violence Beneath because of you :S

monster is a freaking amazing track, srsly. and, alongside so appalled, its an important reminder that you're listening to a proper hip-hop album and that kanye can fucking rap. everyone kills ther verses on monster, and jay-z on so appalled is fucking great:

im so appalled, i might buy the mall
just to show niggas how much more i got in store

and then this:

dark knight feeling, die and be a hero
or live long enough to see yourself become a villain
i went from the favourite to the most hated
but would you rather be underpaid or overrated?

aww man.
definitely every single person on this song completely knocks it out of the park. even rick ross (for ten seconds)
also the best verse i've ever heard out of nicki minaj.

look forward to seeing what you end up with, deschain. ive already made plans to start appreciating metal in 2011, and thisll be a good place to start.

i started writing some shit last night, planning to do a paragraph for each of my top 10 albums, but i started writing and ended up with like 2 A4 pages in word. and i only got to #2. lol.

i freaking love this time of year, though. going back to early gems (i feel like 2010 was frontloaded with so many amazing albums, looking back) is fucking awesome. it also feels good to start looking back and getting rid of alot of mediocre indie albums that i was bored or dissapointed with (the list is fairly long). cherry pickin time!

After finals week ends next Thursday I'm going to begin doing write-ups for my favorite albums and songs of the year, but until then I'm going to write one per day for each. I'm not publishing until the new year, though. Otherwise it's just stupid.

Been enjoying Ihsahn alot. Heard is earlier stuff as well but his new album After outclasses all of his old ones. Definitly in my favorites of this year.

You should see my Dillinger Escape Plan ratings, you'd probably murder me IRL. D;

I'mma start my list next week. And, at the same time, start my best of the (20)10's list.

2010 Ratings:
2010 Diamond:
Crystal Castles (II) - Crystal Castles
Treats - Sleigh Bells
/\/\ /\ Y /\ - M.I.A.
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy - Kanye West

2010 Gold:
Universe - Koda Kumi
Omni - Minus the Bear
Contra - Vampire Weekend
Sir Lucious Left Foot - Big Boi
Body Talk, Pt. 1 - Robyn
Body Talk, Pt. 2 - Robyn
Acoustic EP - Lights
Hurricane Venus - BoA
Narsha - Narsha
Step 2/4 - Ga-In
Body Talk Pt. 3 - Robyn

2010 Silver:
Rock 'n' Roll Circus - Ayumi Hamasaki
The ArchAndroid - Janelle Monae
The Family Jewels - Marina & the Diamonds
Forget - Twin Shadow
King Night - Salem
Pink Friday - Nicki Minaj
Friday Night Lights - J. Cole

2010 Bronze:
Causers of This - Toro y Moi
Lazers Never Die EP - Major Lazer
Lazerproof - Major Lazer & La Roux
Flesh Tone - Kelis
Stridulum EP - Zola Jesus

2010 "Meh":
Congratulations - MGMT
Forgiveness Rock Record - Broken Social Scene
Teenage Dream - Katy Perry
Man on the Moon II: Legend of Mr. Rager - Kid Cudi

Finally listened through all of Cudi's new album... A couple tries, but it really just sucks.

Also, Robyn already announced that she's working on a new album for 2011, and says she'll probably continue with her micro-releases like with the 3 Body Talks.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I want to hear some peoples thoughts on Avalanche City.

Drive On
You and I

It's kinda tweeish folk.

I kinda like it, though the lyrics sorta fluctuate between cheesey and just plain awkward, it has it's moments, and is far better than any other NZ band I have ever come across. And the word "Paparazzis" is kinda endearing intentional or not..

The melodies are kinda dull, and the wordsetting is poor at times, but these problems are far too universal for me to think that this isnt worth recommending.

The thing is, as neutral as I try to be, and despite the harsh criticism I often heap upon it, I am really, really biased in favour of NZ music.

I kinda also wanna know how you find this guys accent (which is actually quite Americanised, just not nearly as much as pretty much all other New Zealand music).

Hmm.. I havent actually said anything nice about this band yet. The arrangements are great, though not mindblowing.. And it's actually pretty brave to sing with even that strong of an NZ accent.. Like, just for an idea, everyone in broadcasting spoke with English accents here until like the 80s or something. Also since everyone here travels, people who have done so kinda have to britishise their accents in order to be understood by foreigners.. So like, speaking with a strong NZ accent kinda has associations with lack of education etc. Not to mention the fact that it has always been strongest among Maori, which kinda hits historical (or the only slightly less omnipresent current-day) racism.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this.

You can download it for free too (legally even).

Have a nice day.

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I really enjoyed that, Hip. It's fairly standard for the genre, but that is a genre that I very much like listening to. I think your comment on accents in music is very interesting. I, personally, would not have noticed that this was a New Zealander as that type of vocal affectation is common even amongst American twee song writers. However, upon reading your post and thinking on it some, the only two accents you hear in English-lyric'd music are American and British. Take, for example, popstars Phoenix. Did you know they were French before reading an article, review, or interview that said they were entirely French?

I certainly didn't. It's really enlightening to hear from you in New Zealand about how non-American/British accents are considered low class and how that is only recently shifting. As a student of politics, I have to wonder if Americanisation of accents was caused initially by globalisation and the move towards a traditional New Zealand accent a response to that, or, potentially, a shift away from American power. That is, is the move away from a more american friendly accent in New Zealand reflective of America's decreased cultural power projection. Or potentially something else.

Interesting things to think about.

Good music also.

As a follower of critics and their critical doings, I follow the Pazz and Jop Critics Poll (and might just be able to submit a ballot this year), which collects the ballots of a BUNCH of music critics. You select ten albums. You get one hundred points. You assign each album between five and thirty points. You select ten songs. Each song gets one point. They have their raw numbers for their ongoing counting here. http://www.villagevoice.com/pazznjop/albums/2010/ and http://www.villagevoice.com/pazznjop/singles/2010/

The problem with that is that some people mess up format, so it's hard to count. But I've got it.

Here are the songs with at least three mentions.

12: Fuck You
11: Dancing On My Own, Tightrope
6: Runaway, Tighten Up
5: Bloodbuzz Ohio, Shutterbug, Monster
4: BMF, I Can Change, Window Seat, Teenage Dream
3: Round And Round, Telephone, All I Want, O.N.E., Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains), POWER, Drunk Girls, Symphonies, A More Perfect Union, Good Intentions Paving Company

Here are the artists who made the albums with at least fifty points with their point total in parentheses.

1. Kanye West (313)
2. Janelle Monáe (166)
3. Vampire Weekend (150)
4. Arcade Fire (126)
5. Black Keys (94)
6. Robyn (92)
7. LCD Soundsystem (86)
8. Beach House (82)
9. Titus Andronicus (79)
10. Drake (78)
11. Big Boi (75)
12. Grinderman (75)
13. The National (72)
14. Superchunk (70)
15. Caribou (61)
16. M.I.A. (60)
17. Sleigh Bells (56)
18. Four Tet (55)
19. Joanna Newsom (53)
20. Frightened Rabbit (53)
21. Broken Social Scene (52)
22. The Roots (50)
23. Best Coast (50)

There's about a month of voting left, so these are super preliminary (last year's album winner wound up with 1,794 points and last year's song winner got 89 mentions so you can sort of guess how far in this is), but Kanye is obviously going to win best album, and while "Dancing On My Own" and "Tightrope" are putting up a great fight, I'm pretty sure that "Fuck You" will take best song.

I also predicted Pitchfork's best song and album top tens.

Albums

1. Kanye 2. Deerhunter 3. The National 4. Big Boi 5. LCD Soundsystem 6. Joanna Newsom 7. Beach House 8. Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti 9. Robyn 10. Janelle Monáe

Songs

1. Fuck You 2. Runaway 3. Tightrope 4. Dancing On My Own 5. Helicopter 6. Not In Love 7. Round And Round 8. Good Intentions Paving Company 9. Norway 10. POWER

WATCH THIS BE PRETTY CLOSE ESPECIALLY FOR ALBUMS

That Top 10 seems about right for pitchfork. As far as songs go that's pretty far off, especially Not In Love. They fucking hated that album.

Did they?

Did they?

There's a nice glitch where I can search the artist and see if they're in the Top 100 songs. I verified that all of the artists are in, and I believe that none of them have a song in there so far. Also every song I have listed was BNM'ed.

Did they?

Did they?

There's a nice glitch where I can search the artist and see if they're in the Top 100 songs. I verified that all of the artists are in, and I believe that none of them have a song in there so far. Also every song I have listed was BNM'ed.
OH LOL, I forgot CC's album.

I thought you meant Eminem's peice of crap. Nevermind the song list seems pretty good.

@Stoo, fanboys.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)