OU Azumarill (Perish Trap)

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
[SET]
name: Perish Trap
move 1: Perish Song
move 2: Whirlpool
move 3: Protect
move 4: Toxic / Hidden Power Fire
item: Leftovers / Iapapa Berry
ability: Sap Sipper
nature: Calm
evs: 252 HP / 228 SpD / 28 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Perish Song enables Azumarill to permanently remove opposing Pokemon and neuter setup sweepers by forcing them to switch out. Whirlpool is used in order to prevent opposing Pokemon from switching out, thus guaranteeing that Perish Song will take them out as long as Azumarill can survive until its last turn. It also deals chip damage, which can be useful for wearing down Pokemon that can force it out. Protect is essential in order to use up Perish Song turns in order to trap Pokemon more effectively. It's also very useful for gaining extra Leftovers recovery as well as racking up chip Whirlpool and Toxic damage against Pokemon that can force Azumarill out. Additionally, it can scout Choice item users such as Tapu Koko, Tapu Lele, and Landorus-T, as well as Z-Moves such as Hydro Vortex from Greninja and Corkscrew Crash from Heatran. Toxic helps cripple Pokemon that may switch into Azumarill in order to force it out, such as Tapu Koko and Kyurem-B. However, Hidden Power Fire can be used instead in order to guarantee an OHKO on Kartana, which can otherwise break past Azumarill if it runs Smart Strike and can deal massive damage to whatever is sent in against it on the last turn of Perish Song. Rest can be used in order to give Azumarill instant recovery and a way to heal status; however, it renders Azumarill extremely vulnerable until it wakes up, at which point it is likely to be very low on health again. Knock Off is also a decent option that cripples the likes of Celesteela and can remove Skarmory's Shed Shell so that it can be trapped. It can also remove the offensive items of Pokemon Azumarill is trapping so that it takes less damage from their attacks. However, it is generally inferior to Toxic in terms of utility.

Set Details
========

28 Speed EVs enable Azumarill to outspeed Celesteela, potentially getting an emergency Perish Song, Rest, or Knock Off off against it before being hit by Heavy Slam. The rest is placed in special bulk in order to easily switch into Volcarona and Battle Bond Greninja, which are key threats that Azumarill's typing enables it to check. It also helps against Mega Charizard Y, Heatran, and Blacephalon. Physical bulk can be used in order to more easily switch into Kartana, Mega Charizard X, and Weavile. However, Azumarill already handles the former quite well, especially if running HP Fire, while the latter two aren't particularly common. A spread of 252 HP / 96 Def / 132 SpD / 28 Spe with a Bold nature prevents a 2HKO from Kartana's Smart Strike and a 3HKO from Celesteela's Heavy Slam, but this spread misses out on a lot of special bulk, making it a shakier Greninja counter. Leftovers is the item of choice because it increases Azumarill's longevity, especially when combined with Protect, and passive recovery is particularly important given its lack of reliable recovery. An Iapapa Berry can be used in order to give Azumarill more instant recovery, enabling it to take strong hits better. A Chesto Berry can be used alongside Rest for the same reasons, with the added benefit of curing status. Both of these options are much better at bluffing an offensive set due to the lack of Leftovers recovery. However, Leftovers is still the best item for this set. Azumarill is required to stay in a few turns if it wants to trap something, which makes Leftovers generally more efficient, and Leftovers also has much better synergy with Protect. Sap Sipper is very important to this set, as it enables Azumarill to counter Pokemon that rely on Grass-type coverage in order to beat it, such as Kartana, Ferrothorn, Tapu Bulu, and Tangrowth. It also protects against Celesteela's Leech Seed.

Usage Tips
========

Azumarill lures and traps troublesome defensive Pokemon that typically switch into it such as Toxapex, Ferrothorn, and Tangrowth. Thus, avoid taking chip damage so as to not reveal Azumarill's set before trapping them. Azumarill should always use Whirlpool if you think the opponent is going to send something that can be trapped. Anything else can prompt the foe to immediately switch out so in order to avoid getting trapped. Once a Pokemon has been trapped by Whirlpool, immediately use Perish Song to put it on a timer, and use Protect the turn after that. It's usually a good idea to attempt to use Protect a second time in order to stop Azumarill from taking any extra damage. Even though it's likely to fail, there's very little else Azumarill can do in this situation, since it's facing a Pokemon that's just about to be KOed. Once the Perish Song counter is on its last turn, simply switch to something that can take the opposing Pokemon's last move. If you don't need to trap anything, don't hesitate to send Azumarill in on Pokemon it walls such as Greninja, Kartana, and Tapu Bulu. Azumarill hates being statused and dislikes losing its item, so avoid keeping it in on Pokemon that commonly carry Toxic, Will-O-Wisp, or Knock Off. However, don't be afraid to do so if it means trapping a troublesome Pokemon such as Toxapex if Azumarill will not be needed too much for the rest of the battle. Entry hazards should be off the field before you send Azumarill in; Toxic Spikes are especially troublesome. Azumarill isn't particularly bulky and lacks reliable recovery, so make sure to keep it healthy throughout the match, especially if you need it to trap something.

Team Options
========

Azumarill works well on bulky offensive teams that seek a way to lure Toxapex, Ferrothorn, and Mega Venusaur. As such, offensive Pokemon that struggle with these such as Battle Bond Greninja, Shift Gear Magearna, Mega Mawile, and Tapu Koko serve as good partners. It can also be a good fit on defensively oriented teams, which tend to be weak to Kartana and Mega Charizard Y. This is especially true if you need something that can perform well against opposing defensive teams, since Azumarill's trapping abilities can let it pick off opposing walls that struggle to do much back to it. Specifically, defensive teams that rely on entry hazard stacking and phazing can make good use of Azumarill, as it can trap certain hazard removers and use Perish Song to get rid of the last Pokemon on the opposing team, which is something that Roar and Whirlwind cannot do. Wish support from something like Unaware Clefable can really help Azumarill's longevity issues; however, it has some trouble actually receiving these wishes because its bulk, while good, isn't stellar by OU standards. Azumarill gets worn down very easily, so it probably shouldn't be your team's only answer to Pokemon like Greninja and Keldeo. As such, it should be paired up with something that can take them on decently such as Tapu Bulu or Mega Venusaur. Heal Bell support is also quite useful because Azumarill is very vulnerable to status. This is especially true if using Rest. Make sure to pair Azumarill up with a hazard remover, since it hates being worn down by Spikes and Stealth Rock. Toxic Spikes are absolutely imperative to remove from the field if you want to send Azumarill in, as it cannot do its job at all if it's poisoned. This is especially true because Ferrothorn and Toxapex will almost certainly try to lay down hazards as Azumarill traps them, so they will need to be removed if Azumarill wants to switch back in later. Azumarill is very vulnerable to Electric-types, so a good check to those such as Ferrothorn or Choice Scarf Landorus-T can work as an effective partner. Kyurem-B is also very difficult for Azumarill to deal with, so carry a good check to it like Assault Vest Magearna, Mega Scizor, or Chansey. Make sure that there are Pokemon on your team that can switch relatively safely into the Pokemon you want to trap once, since you will need to do this on the last turn of Perish Song. For instance, if you plan on trapping Celesteela with it, you at least need something that can take its Heavy Slam and Flamethower well. Azumarill can get overloaded pretty easily by strong wallbreakers that don't need to set up, such as Mega Mawile, Mega Pinsir, and Choice Band Tyranitar, so make sure you pack something that can deal with them such as Landorus-T or Hippowdon.

Last edited:
Great job getting this started! But I have a suggestion:

nature: Bold​
evs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SpD​
I feel like this spread should be at least mentioned in Set Details as it allows Azu to avoid the 3HKO from Celesteela's Heavy Slam and the 2HKO from Kartana's Smart Strike both after Leftovers while still avoiding the 2HKO from Ash Greninja's Hydro Pump.​
Good stuff otherwise :)

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've used this set a lot, so I have a couple of suggestions :]

• Mention how Protect allows you to scout for Z-moves
  • When talking about switching into Pokemon it checks, mention that it should be switched in sparingly and in team options how it shouldn't ever be your only answer for something like Ash Greninja due to how quickly it gets worn down.
  • Mention that Bell is good because getting Azumarill is so susceptible to status, as this point can be applied to a large amount of Pokemon with how general it is and stress how it's mandatory with rest.
  • Not sure why Kyurem-B of all Pokemon deserves its own bullet point, especially considering that it's not that common in USUM, but I guess it doesn't hurt to include it?

Last edited:
Very solid analysis Albacore. Not QC, but I have some suggestions.
This set works well on bulky offensive teams which seek a way to lure Toxapex, Ferrothorn and Tangrowth. As such, offensive Pokemon that struggle with these such as Battle Bond Greninja, Shift Gear Magearna, Mega Mawile and Tapu Koko serve as good partners
Mega Venu should replace tangrowth in the lure targets as it is more relevant and Mega Venu is much more likely to switch into azumarill. Magearna, Mawile, Koko, and Ash Gren all love Venu being dead.
Azumarill gets worn down very easily, so it probably shouldn't be your team's only answer to Pokemon like Greninja and Keldeo.
Maybe some examples of mons that can check those mons. Mega Venu and Av bulu seem good for this.
That’s all for now.

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
  • Unslash Rest and keep it in moves, I think it's a decent option but can't be compared to the utility Toxic provides or the ability to beat Smart Strike Kartana with HP Fire
  • Remove Substitute, I haven't really used this move or seen it used but it seems mediocre in paper and too niche to be worth the moveslot
  • In your last Set Details bullet, cut down the examples a bit, 8 is far too many. Mons like Serperior and Mega Charizard Y, while existing, aren't as relevant as the other examples and just make the list too long.
Very nice analysis outside of that, good job QC 1/3

Mega Venu should replace tangrowth in the lure targets as it is more relevant and Mega Venu is much more likely to switch into azumarill. Magearna, Mawile, Koko, and Ash Gren all love Venu being dead.
Just a reminder that Venu gets sludge Bomb and can 2hko

0 SpA Venusaur-Mega Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Azumarill: 192-228 (47.5 - 56.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
80 SpA Venusaur-Mega Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Azumarill: 204-242 (50.4 - 59.9%) -- 82.8% chance to 2HKO

GMars

It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
  • This set is meant to lure and trap troublesome defensive Pokemon which typically switch into Azumarill such as Toxapex, Ferrothorn and Tangrowth. As such, try not to reveal Azumarill's set before trapping them
Add in a brief note about needing to avoid taking chip damage if you're running Leftovers, as Leftovers triggering would reveal the perish trap set

I'd recommend slashing Iapapa as an item as once the set's revealed, you can lose the ability to eliminate the threats you want to

Really nice work, sorry check 2 took so long (holidays lol)

QC 2/3

Do you think Play Rough in the last slot with Huge Power is at least an option if your main objective is stallbreaking and not trapping Ferrothorns and other grass types? As it stands the set as it is will be handled by Mega Sableye once it is figured out, which every stall team runs, and which leaves Azumarill worthless as long as it lives, since Ghost types cant be trapped. Running Huge Power with Play Rough even without any attack investment destroys Sableye on the other hand and its far better against the predicted Tapu Koko and Kyurem-B switches you mentioned than Toxic. The set thrives against slower, tanky sets but cant do anything against fast and squishy pokemon that hit hard, so running play rough means they can only switch in once and not 5 times.

In terms of moveslots I find it far superior to Toxic and especially Rest (Knock Off on the other hand is quite useful and also removes shed shells), the big opportunity cost is losing Sap Sipper, so thats what you'd need to weigh it up against and consider if its worth it. Imo it can be in some cases, depending on what your goal is and who you want to trap, so I believe it should be mentioned or even slashed

Last edited:

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Do you think Play Rough in the last slot with Huge Power is at least an option if your main objective is stallbreaking and not trapping Ferrothorns and other grass types? As it stands the set as it is will be handled by Mega Sableye once it is figured out, which every stall team runs, and which leaves Azumarill worthless as long as it lives, since Ghost types cant be trapped. Running Huge Power with Play Rough even without any attack investment destroys Sableye on the other hand and its far better against the predicted Tapu Koko and Kyurem-B switches you mentioned than Toxic. The set thrives against slower, tanky sets but cant do anything against fast and squishy pokemon that hit hard, so running play rough means they can only switch in once and not 5 times.

In terms of moveslots I find it far superior to Toxic and especially Rest (Knock Off on the other hand is quite useful and also removes shed shells), the big opportunity cost is losing Sap Sipper, so thats what you'd need to weigh it up against and consider if its worth it. Imo it can be in some cases, depending on what your goal is and who you want to trap, so I believe it should be mentioned or even slashed
Sap Sipper is the main reason this set is even remotely usable and idt azu can give it up and still do its job, the upside of running Huge Power+Play Rough is very minimal and comes at too big of a cost to be mentioned in details let alone be a slash, this set isnt meant to break Sab and can be effective without doing it

Alright I can accept that. Different question though: Is it really worth it to attempt outspending defensive Celesteela? Unless you also hit some other bechnmark in which case they should probably be mentioned it seems pretty worthless. Defensive Celesteecla isn't the kind of pokemon that you need to emergency perish song and at least all of the slashed options are completely worthless. 28 ev might not seem like too much but it probably matters more often than an almost completely worthless speed benchmark

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The difference in bulk is virtually nonexistent so being able to get off a quick scald before it can dent you with Heavy Slam definitely feels like the better trade-off here; if you lose nothing from investing the speed, there is no reason not to do it, as a small number of extra points in Speed makes a much bigger difference than a few extra points in bulk.

Well you don't run scald. My point isn't that its not generally useful to be faster than a Celesteela but rather that you have nothing you could use that makes it truly worthwhile, at least from the slashed moves. The situations where you would need to emergency psong a defensive celesteela or get the 10% dmg from hp fire are way more specific than those where the extra bulk could come in handy.

Well you don't run scald. My point isn't that its not generally useful to be faster than a Celesteela but rather that you have nothing you could use that makes it truly worthwhile, at least from the slashed moves. The situations where you would need to emergency psong a defensive celesteela or get the 10% dmg from hp fire are way more specific than those where the extra bulk could come in handy.
You do, its called Perish Song and Whirlpool. It's also not an emergency Perish Song as this is one of the few reasons why u could use PerishTrap Azumarill, to trap and remove Celesteela.

I'm sorry but thats stupid. Celesteela won't flinch you so if your goal is to trap it then it doesn't matter if you move first or second. The speed thing is only relevant if you want to get one last attack of before you die. Whirlpool is obviously useless for that, since it will deal like 2% dmg and you wouldn't get the end of turn dmg since you are dead (remember if you aren't dead then it didn't matter that you were faster), psong is rather useless when you die right after it, protect obviously doesn't care about your speed and both toxic and hp fire do shit to celesteela.

I'm sorry but thats stupid. Celesteela won't flinch you so if your goal is to trap it then it doesn't matter if you move first or second. The speed thing is only relevant if you want to get one last attack of before you die. Whirlpool is obviously useless for that, since it will deal like 2% dmg and you wouldn't get the end of turn dmg since you are dead (remember if you aren't dead then it didn't matter that you were faster), psong is rather useless when you die right after it, protect obviously doesn't care about your speed and both toxic and hp fire do shit to celesteela.
It does because it 3HKO's, have u heard of that term? U'd have to take an extra hit, which u dont wait. But, i wont fight what u think as it's a nice day, so just stay in ur beliefs if u want bro.

I don't want to derail this thread too much so I'll leave it after this, but I am going to try it a last time. I do know what a 3hko is, I just don't see how speed helps you with that. The effect of whirlpool ends when you die thus you need to survive until the end of the turn (and not just of the first turn, but of a few subsequent ones as well, were you aren't doing anything else other than spamming Protect anyway) if you want to successfully trap someone. It only matters for trapping when you run Rest henceforth, but since its not even slashed I don't think the EVs should be tailored around that specific constellation. It seems like this is the part were we disagree, correct? But assuming you would agree with me on that, the consequence of that premise would be that speed never matters for Trapping on Rest-less sets, leading back to my first post were I outlined why I believe thats it not very useful outside of trapping either (which you seemed to agree with, since you said its not for emergency psonging?)

Unless of course Celesteela isn't what we are actually trying to outspeed in which case a better example should be mentioned in the Set Details.

Leo

after hours
MPL Champion
I don't want to derail this thread too much so I'll leave it after this, but I am going to try it a last time. I do know what a 3hko is, I just don't see how speed helps you with that. The effect of whirlpool ends when you die thus you need to survive until the end of the turn (and not just of the first turn, but of a few subsequent ones as well, were you aren't doing anything else other than spamming Protect anyway) if you want to successfully trap someone. It only matters for trapping when you run Rest henceforth, but since its not even slashed I don't think the EVs should be tailored around that specific constellation. It seems like this is the part were we disagree, correct? But assuming you would agree with me on that, the consequence of that premise would be that speed never matters for Trapping on Rest-less sets, leading back to my first post were I outlined why I believe thats it not very useful outside of trapping either (which you seemed to agree with, since you said its not for emergency psonging?)

Unless of course Celesteela isn't what we are actually trying to outspeed in which case a better example should be mentioned in the Set Details.
28 Speed EVs enables Azumarill to outspeed Celesteela, potentially getting an emergency Perish Song, Rest or Knock Off off against it before being hit by Heavy Slam.

I don't see what's so hard to understand about this, if Azu's weakened and has done its job you can get a suicide PS against Celesteela, Knock its Lefties (which is huge) or you can Rest up on it to beat it 1v1 if you were at full (keep in mind Rest is in Moves, not OO, so it's still considered a completely viable option). 28 EVs isn't as big of a deal as you make it out to be and there's very few scenarios where you're going to live that one hit you wouldn't have been able to live without those 28 EVs compared to the Celesteela matchups you can improve with the extra Speed. Unless you can provide relevant calcs where the extra bulk actually makes a difference this won't be changed.

All I am saying is the main ev spread shouldnt be based around moves that arent even slashed and as it stands from the current moves only psong isnt 100% useless and still pretty terrible... The extra bulk is just generally useful - if you need specific examples: It reduces the chance to get 2hkod by Z-Victini allowing it to stop the sweep without having to lose another pokemon. It reduces the chance to get 2hkod by CM Magearna tbolt after rocks allowing you to psong it without having mind games. It reduces the chance to get 2hkod by Scarf Lele. It reduces the chance to get 2hkod by Specs Blacephalon. It reduces the chance to get 2hkod by Venusaur Sludgebomb. It reduces the chance to get 2hkod by Mega-Alakazam if it gets a sdef drop on the first psychic.

All of these scenarios factor in Protecting for lefties, some assume rocks are up, some assume they dont. Whenever I say it gets less likely its usually by about 20%. Are these very specific scenarios? Yes. More specific than wanting to emergency perish song a defensive celesteela with a low life azumarill? Probably not.

So the question is should the main ev spread be based on moves that arent slashed, but mentioned in moves at the cost of making the Main Set almost strictly inferior or should EV spreads seek a middle ground that work for different move sets so you dont have to mention different spreads in the set details, thus making the text more readable?
The it doesnt really matter argument is just really poor in general. We all had a pokemon crucially survive with 1 or 2 hp and we all spend the last 4 evs in a defensive stat when go 252 atk and speed on some sweeper. It'll matter more often than a completly useless benchmark, unless you think the ev spread should be made around "other moves" (which is legit I suppose, but just say so if thats the case and dont reason it with scald burns and having to take one hit less when trapping someone...)

I get that this is very fine-tuney, but thats kinda the job here and it seems like such an odd benchmark to hit. We dont suddenly start running 28 speed ev on Hippowdown so we can get an EQ off on a low life chansey before it recovers.... (This became a little arduous to read, I apologize for that)

Leo

after hours
MPL Champion
All I am saying is the main ev spread shouldnt be based around moves that arent even slashed and as it stands from the current moves only psong isnt 100% useless and still pretty terrible... The extra bulk is just generally useful - if you need specific examples: It reduces the chance to get 2hkod by Z-Victini allowing it to stop the sweep without having to lose another pokemon. It reduces the chance to get 2hkod by CM Magearna tbolt after rocks allowing you to psong it without having mind games. It reduces the chance to get 2hkod by Scarf Lele. It reduces the chance to get 2hkod by Specs Blacephalon. It reduces the chance to get 2hkod by Venusaur Sludgebomb. It reduces the chance to get 2hkod by Mega-Alakazam if it gets a sdef drop on the first psychic.

All of these scenarios factor in Protecting for lefties, some assume rocks are up, some assume they dont. Whenever I say it gets less likely its usually by about 20%. Are these very specific scenarios? Yes. More specific than wanting to emergency perish song a defensive celesteela with a low life azumarill? Probably not.

So the question is should the main ev spread be based on moves that arent slashed, but mentioned in moves at the cost of making the Main Set almost strictly inferior or should EV spreads seek a middle ground that work for different move sets so you dont have to mention different spreads in the set details, thus making the text more readable?
The it doesnt really matter argument is just really poor in general. We all had a pokemon crucially survive with 1 or 2 hp and we all spend the last 4 evs in a defensive stat when go 252 atk and speed on some sweeper. It'll matter more often than a completly useless benchmark, unless you think the ev spread should be made around "other moves" (which is legit I suppose, but just say so if thats the case and dont reason it with scald burns and having to take one hit less when trapping someone...)

I get that this is very fine-tuney, but thats kinda the job here and it seems like such an odd benchmark to hit. We dont suddenly start running 28 speed ev on Hippowdown so we can get an EQ off on a low life chansey before it recovers.... (This became a little arduous to read, I apologize for that)
No, running a bit less SpD to allow Azu to hit a good speed benchmark doesn't make the set "strictly inferior" and I don't get what's so hard to understand about it. Slightly better rolls vs mons this isnt even supposed to check doesn't justify running all that SpD and I find it funny how you're acting as if the moves that aren't slashed are irrelevant but consider these "improved" rolls vs mons that once again Azu isn't supposed to check and that aren't even mentioned in the analysis at all more important. I think this thread has been derailed enough and if you want to take this argument any further please do it in pms, specifically in Finchinator's PM box as I'm sure he'd enjoy this discussion.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
add remove comments
(AC)=add comma, (ASC)=add semicolon, (AP)=add period
(RC)=remove comma, (RSC)=remove semicolon
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Perish Song enables Azumarill to permanently remove opposing Pokemon, (RC) as well as and phaze setup sweepers by forcing them to switch out. Whirlpool is used in order to prevent opposing Pokemon from switching out, thus guaranteeing that Perish Song will take them out as long as Azumarill can survive until its last turn. It also deals chip damage, (AC) which can be useful for wearing down Pokemon that can force it out. Protect is essential in order to use up Perish Song turns, making it less likely for Azumarill to be KOed before it ends, and therefore more likely for the trapped Pokemon to be taken out by it in order to trap Pokemon more effectively. It's also very useful for gaining extra Leftovers recovery, as well as racking up chip Whirlpool and Toxic damage against Pokemon that can force Azumarill out. Additionally, it can also scout Choice item users such as Tapu Koko, Tapu Lele, (AC) and Landorus-T, as well as Z moves Z-Moves such as Hydro Vortex from Greninja and Corkscrew Crash from Heatran. Toxic helps cripple Pokemon which that may switch into Azumarill in order to force it out, suck such as Tapu Koko and Kyurem-B. However, Hidden Power Fire can also be used instead in order to guarantee an OHKO on Kartana which, if it runs Smart Strike, can otherwise break past it, and can still, (AC) which can otherwise break past Azumarill if it runs Smart Strike and can deal massive damage to whatever is sent in against it on the last turn of Perish Song. Rest can be used in order to give Azumarill instant recovery as well as and a way to heal status,; (RC, ASC) however, it renders Azumarill extremely vulnerable until it wakes up, at which point it is likely to be very low on health again. Knock Off is also a decent option which that cripples the likes of Celesteela and can remove Skarmory's Shed Shell so that it can be trapped. It can also remove the offensive items of Pokemon Azumarill is currently trapping so that it takes less damage from their attacks. However, it is generally inferior to Toxic in terms of utility.

Set Details
========

28 Speed EVs enables Azumarill to outspeed Celesteela, potentially getting an emergency Perish Song, Rest, (AC) or Knock Off off against it before being hit by Heavy Slam. The rest is placed in special bulk in order to easily switch into Volcarona and Battle Bond Greninja and Volcarona, which are key threats that Azumarill's typing enables it to check. It also helps against Mega Charizard Y, Heatran, (AC) and Blacephalon. (AP) Physical bulk can be used in order to more easily switch into Kartana, Mega Charizard X, (AC) and Weavile, (RC) however. (AP) However, Azumarill already handles the former quite well, especially if running HP Fire, while the latter two aren't particularly common. A spread of 252 HP / 96 Def / 132 SpD / 28 Spe with a Bold nature prevents a 2HKO from Kartana's Smart Strike and a 3HKO from Celesteela's Heavy Slam, but this spread misses out on a lot of special bulk, making it a shakier Greninja counter. Leftovers is the main item of choice since because it increases Azumarill's longevity, especially when combined with Protect, and passive recovery is particularly important given its lack of reliable recovery. An Iapapa Berry can be used in order to give Azumarill more instant recovery, enabling it to take strong hits better. A Chesto Berry can be used alongside Rest for the same reasons, with the added benefit of curing status. Both of these options are much better at bluffing an offensive set due to the lack of Leftovers recovery. However, Leftovers is still better-suited the best item for this set, (RC) since. (AP) Azumarill is required to stay in a few turns if it wants to trap something, (AC) which makes it Leftovers generally more efficient, and it Leftovers also has much better synergy with Protect. Sap Sipper is very important to this set since, (AC) as it enables Azumarill to counter Pokemon that rely on Grass-type coverage in order to beat it, (AC) such as Kartana, Ferrothorn, Tapu Bulu, (AC) and Tangrowth. It also helps protects against Celesteela's Leech Seed.

Usage Tips
========

This set is meant to lure and trap Azumarill lures and traps troublesome defensive Pokemon which that typically switch into Azumarill it such as Toxapex, Ferrothorn, (AC) and Tangrowth. As such, avoid taking chip damage so as to not to reveal Azumarill's set before trapping them. You Azumarill should always use Whirlpool if you think the opponent is going to send something that can be trapped. Anything else will reveal which set you're Azumarill is running (isn't the set revealed either way) and prompt the opponent foe to immediately switch out so as to not get trapped in order to avoid getting trapped. Once you've trapped a Pokemon a Pokemon has been trapped by Whirlpool, immediately use Perish Song to put it on a timer, and use Protect the turn after that. It's usually a good idea to attempt to use Protect a second time in order to stop Azumarill from taking any extra damage. Even though it's likely to fail, there's very little else Azumarill can do in this situation, (AC) since it's facing a Pokemon that's just about to be KOed. Once the Perish Song counter is on its last turn, simply switch to something that can take the opposing Pokemon's last move. If you don't need to trap anything, don't hesitate to send Azumarill in on Pokemon it walls such as Greninja, Kartana, (AC) and Tapu Bulu. Azumarill hates being statused and dislikes losing its item, so avoid keeping it in on Pokemon that commonly carry Toxic, Will-O-Wisp, (AC) or Knock Off. However, don't be afraid to do so if it means trapping a troublesome Pokemon such as Toxapex, (RC) granted that you won't need to rely on Azumarill if Azumarill will not be needed too much for the rest of the battle. Entry hazards should be off the field before you send Azumarill in, (RC) especially Toxic Spikes which cripple it immensely; (ASC) Toxic Spikes are especially troublesome. Azumarill isn't particularly bulky and lacks reliable recovery, so make sure you to keep it healthy throughout the match, especially if you need it to trap something.

Team Options
========

This set Azumarill works well on bulky offensive teams which thatseek a way to lure Toxapex, Ferrothorn, (AC) and Mega Venusaur. As such, offensive Pokemon that struggle with these such as Battle Bond Greninja, Shift Gear Magearna, Mega Mawile, (AC) and Tapu Koko serve as good partners. It can also be a good fit on defensively-oriented teams, (AC) which tend to be weak to Kartana and Mega Charizard Y. This is especially true if you need something that can perform well against opposing defensive teams, since Azumarill's trapping abilities can let it pick off opposing walls who that struggle to do much back to it. Specifically, defensive teams that rely on hazard-stacking entry hazard stacking and phazing can make good use of Azumarill, since as it can trap certain hazard removers, (RC) and use Perish Song to get rid of the last Pokemon on the opposing team, (AC) which is something that Roar and Whirlwind cannot do. Wish support from something like Unaware Clefable can really help Azumarill's longevity issues,; (RC, ASC) however, (AC) it has some trouble actually receiving these wishes since because its bulk, while good, isn't stellar by OU standards. Azumarill gets worn down very easily, so it probably shouldn't be your team's only answer to Pokemon like Greninja and Keldeo. As such, it should be paired up with something which that can take them on decently such as Tapu Bulu or Mega Venusaur. Heal Bell support is also quite useful since because Azumarill is very vulnerable to status. This is especially true if using Rest. Make sure to pair Azumarill up with hazard removal, since it hates being worn down by Spikes and Stealth Rocks Rock. Toxic Spikes are absolutely imperative to remove from the field if you want to send it Azumarill in, since as it cannot do its job at all if it's poisoned. This is especially true since because Ferrothorn and Toxapex will almost certainly try to lay down hazards as Azumarill traps them, so they will need to be removed if Azumarill wants to switch back in later. Azumarill is very vulnerable to Electric-types, so a good check to those such as Ferrothorn or Choice Scarf Landorus-T can work as an effective partner. Kyurem-B is also very difficult for Azumarill to deal with, so carry a good check to it like AV Magearna, Mega Scizor, (AC) or Chansey. Make sure that there are Pokemon on your team that can switch relatively safely into the Pokemon you want to trap once, since you will need to do this on the last turn of Perish Song. For instance, if you plan on trapping Celesteela with it, you at least need something that can take its Heavy Slam and Flamethower well. Azumarill can get overloaded pretty easily by strong wallbreakers which that don't need to set up, such as Choice Band Tyrantar, Mega Mawile, (AC) and Mega Pinsir, and Choice Band Tyranitar, so make sure you pack something which that can deal with them such as Landorus-T or Hippowdon.

1/2

Last edited:

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader

remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon
GP 2/2
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Perish Song enables Azumarill to permanently remove opposing Pokemon and phaze neuter setup sweepers by forcing them to switch out. Whirlpool is used in order to prevent opposing Pokemon from switching out, thus guaranteeing that Perish Song will take them out as long as Azumarill can survive until its last turn. It also deals chip damage, which can be useful for wearing down Pokemon that can force it out. Protect is essential in order to use up Perish Song turns in order to trap Pokemon more effectively. It's also very useful for gaining extra Leftovers recovery (RC) as well as racking up chip Whirlpool and Toxic damage against Pokemon that can force Azumarill out. Additionally, it can scout Choice item users such as Tapu Koko, Tapu Lele, and Landorus-T, as well as Z-Moves such as Hydro Vortex from Greninja and Corkscrew Crash from Heatran. Toxic helps cripple Pokemon that may switch into Azumarill in order to force it out, such as Tapu Koko and Kyurem-B. However, Hidden Power Fire can be used instead in order to guarantee an OHKO on Kartana, which can otherwise break past Azumarill if it runs Smart Strike and can deal massive damage to whatever is sent in against it on the last turn of Perish Song. Rest can be used in order to give Azumarill instant recovery and a way to heal status; however, it renders Azumarill extremely vulnerable until it wakes up, at which point it is likely to be very low on health again. Knock Off is also a decent option which that cripples the likes of Celesteela and can remove Skarmory's Shed Shell so that it can be trapped. It can also remove the offensive items of Pokemon Azumarill is currently trapping so that it takes less damage from their attacks. However, it is generally inferior to Toxic in terms of utility.

Set Details
========

28 Speed EVs enables enable Azumarill to outspeed Celesteela, potentially getting an emergency Perish Song, Rest, or Knock Off off against it before being hit by Heavy Slam. The rest is placed in special bulk in order to easily switch into Volcarona and Battle Bond Greninja, which are key threats that Azumarill's typing enables it to check. It also helps against Mega Charizard Y, Heatran, and Blacephalon. Physical bulk can be used in order to more easily switch into Kartana, Mega Charizard X, and Weavile. However, Azumarill already handles the former quite well, especially if running HP Hidden Power Fire, while the latter two aren't particularly common. A spread of 252 HP / 96 Def / 132 SpD / 28 Spe with a Bold nature prevents a 2HKO from Kartana's Smart Strike and a 3HKO from Celesteela's Heavy Slam, but this spread misses out on a lot of special bulk, making it a shakier Greninja counter. Leftovers is the item of choice because it increases Azumarill's longevity, especially when combined with Protect, and passive recovery is particularly important given its lack of reliable recovery. An Iapapa Berry can be used in order to give Azumarill more instant recovery, enabling it to take strong hits better. A Chesto Berry can be used alongside Rest for the same reasons, with the added benefit of curing status. Both of these options are much better at bluffing an offensive set due to the lack of Leftovers recovery. However, Leftovers is still the best item for this set. Azumarill is required to stay in a few turns if it wants to trap something, which makes Leftovers generally more efficient, and Leftovers also has much better synergy with Protect. Sap Sipper is very important to this set, as it enables Azumarill to counter Pokemon that rely on Grass-type coverage in order to beat it, (AC) such as Kartana, Ferrothorn, Tapu Bulu, and Tangrowth. It also protects against Celesteela's Leech Seed.

Usage Tips
========

Azumarill lures and traps troublesome defensive Pokemon that typically switch into it such as Toxapex, Ferrothorn, and Tangrowth. As such, Thus, avoid taking chip damage so as to not reveal Azumarill's set before trapping them. Azumarill should always use Whirlpool if you think the opponent is going to send something that can be trapped. Anything else can prompt the foe to immediately switch out so in order to avoid getting trapped. Once a Pokemon has been trapped by Whirlpool, immediately use Perish Song to put it on a timer, and use Protect the turn after that. It's usually a good idea to attempt to use Protect a second time in order to stop Azumarill from taking any extra damage. Even though it's likely to fail, there's very little else Azumarill can do in this situation, since it's facing a Pokemon that's just about to be KOed. Once the Perish Song counter is on its last turn, simply switch to something that can take the opposing Pokemon's last move. If you don't need to trap anything, don't hesitate to send Azumarill in on Pokemon it walls such as Greninja, Kartana, and Tapu Bulu. Azumarill hates being statused and dislikes losing its item, so avoid keeping it in on Pokemon that commonly carry Toxic, Will-O-Wisp, or Knock Off. However, don't be afraid to do so if it means trapping a troublesome Pokemon such as Toxapex if Azumarill will not be needed too much for the rest of the battle. Entry hazards should be off the field before you send Azumarill in; Toxic Spikes are especially troublesome. Azumarill isn't particularly bulky and lacks reliable recovery, so make sure to keep it healthy throughout the match, especially if you need it to trap something.

Team Options
========

Azumarill works well on bulky offensive teams that seek a way to lure Toxapex, Ferrothorn, and Mega Venusaur. As such, offensive Pokemon that struggle with these such as Battle Bond Greninja, Shift Gear Magearna, Mega Mawile, and Tapu Koko serve as good partners. It can also be a good fit on defensively oriented (RH) teams, which tend to be weak to Kartana and Mega Charizard Y. This is especially true if you need something that can perform well against opposing defensive teams, since Azumarill's trapping abilities can let it pick off opposing walls that struggle to do much back to it. Specifically, defensive teams that rely on entry hazard stacking and phazing can make good use of Azumarill, as it can trap certain hazard removers and use Perish Song to get rid of the last Pokemon on the opposing team, which is something that Roar and Whirlwind cannot do. Wish support from something like Unaware Clefable can really help Azumarill's longevity issues; however, it has some trouble actually receiving these wishes because its bulk, while good, isn't stellar by OU standards. Azumarill gets worn down very easily, so it probably shouldn't be your team's only answer to Pokemon like Greninja and Keldeo. As such, it should be paired up with something that can take them on decently such as Tapu Bulu or Mega Venusaur. Heal Bell support is also quite useful because Azumarill is very vulnerable to status. This is especially true if using Rest. Make sure to pair Azumarill up with a hazard removal remover, since it hates being worn down by Spikes and Stealth Rock. Toxic Spikes are absolutely imperative to remove from the field if you want to send Azumarill in, as it cannot do its job at all if it's poisoned. This is especially true because Ferrothorn and Toxapex will almost certainly try to lay down hazards as Azumarill traps them, so they will need to be removed if Azumarill wants to switch back in later. Azumarill is very vulnerable to Electric-types, so a good check to those such as Ferrothorn or Choice Scarf Landorus-T can work as an effective partner. Kyurem-B is also very difficult for Azumarill to deal with, so carry a good check to it like AV Assault Vest Magearna, Mega Scizor, or Chansey. Make sure that there are Pokemon on your team that can switch relatively safely into the Pokemon you want to trap once, since you will need to do this on the last turn of Perish Song. For instance, if you plan on trapping Celesteela with it, you at least need something that can take its Heavy Slam and Flamethower well. Azumarill can get overloaded pretty easily by strong wallbreakers that don't need to set up, such as Mega Mawile, Mega Pinsir, and Choice Band Tyranitar, so make sure you pack something that can deal with them such as Landorus-T or Hippowdon.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)