SM UU Simple Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
Is there an effective stall team to use atm after the tier shifts?
http://pokepast.es/4e6f840b8895f40c

It's not a very standard stall team for several reasons, but it still is unquestionably full stall and follows the most important rules of stall, namely countering the metagame and providing utility moves.

Double Wish is useful because Klefki has pretty bad bulk for a wall and no Recovery, although you could make Umbreon Moonlight to get more utility moves in like Taunt/Sucker Punch/Toxic. Still, Protect is great for beating up Volt-Turn that relies on Choice Infernape and Scizor to beat Umbreon.

Klefki's set makes it a defensive threat as it wals some stallbreakers like NP Togekiss, CM Latias (to some extent), Gardevoir Mega, and Work Up Pidgeot. Spikes doesn't ever hurt, although you could always change it since the team doesn't abuse Spikes that proficiently (no blocker or shuffler).

Umbreon is uncommon but viable, Inner Focus is mainly for Sharpedo and Mamoswine and Weavile. It also helps counter Haxorus which is pretty hard to do, even if it is not a perfect counter.

Tentacruel has Icium Z although that could be Black Sludge, Icium Z does help a tad with Crawdaunt though and the surprise recovery is always nice.

Everything else is pretty standard for stall, ultimately the team does not have many weaknesses apart from hazard stack +Ghost, Crawdaunt, Haxorus and Heracross.

Last edited:

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
New to UU, can someone shoe me the ropes to the meta? Also recommend me a good team archetype? Thx.
well Weavile is in the process of a suspect so the meta will probably end up changing if it does get banned (it seems kinda split atm) but, the most successful archetypes are Klefki Spikes, VoltTurn + Weavile (typically Washtom + Band or Defensive Scizor / Scarf Nape), and stall (the mons I have seen the most are Alomomola, Blissey, and Quagsire).

jk weavile got banned, meta gon shift

Last edited:
So out of curiosity with Weavile and Mega Gardevoir gone what are our best answers to Mega Latias? I'd ask in the UU room but I've been traveling this past week and am far away from being able to hop onto Showdown.

So out of curiosity with Weavile and Mega Gardevoir gone what are our best answers to Mega Latias? I'd ask in the UU room but I've been traveling this past week and am far away from being able to hop onto Showdown.
On the top of my head, the only real M-Lati's check is bulky physical M-Altaria, but even then, it cannot come on a +1 ice beam

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Bulky Steels are still a good pick, especially if they carry Toxic or Roar; Klefki, Empoleon, Bronzong and Metagross are all things I’ve had success with in this meta. Alola-Muk is a decent answer to most sets as well. Altaria-Mega can struggle with boosted Psyshocks/Stored Powers/Ice Beams but is usually bulky enough to switch in and threaten MLati out. Scizor can’t reliably switch in but tanks just about any unboosted attack and offensive sets hit back hard with BB/Uturn (uninvested Scizor, however, struggles a lot). Beedrill-Mega has been an excellent revenge killer in general for me this meta as it outspeeds and punishes MLati, +1 MAlt and Manec, although obviously it should almost never switch directly in.

Reflect Type sets can bypass many of these answers, but usually do so at the cost of offensive potential.

sparrow

kacaw
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
A personal favourite of mine, that hasn't been mentioned, is Toxic Umbreon, which doesn't struggle with reflect type shenanigans, whilst dealing over 40% with Foul Play.

0- Atk Umbreon Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Latias-Mega: 158-188 (43.4 - 51.6%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Hi, new to competing battling in general here. Is sub-CM chandelure a viable win-con? What Pokemon would you put on a team with it?

esche

Frust kommt auf, denn der Bus kommt nicht
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Welcome to UU!

SubCM Chandelure is most definitely a viable pick, although it might be more appropiate to consider it a wallbreaker than a sweeper. Therefore, it will thrive against bulkier builds, most notably stall, while losing some effectiveness versus more offensive teams because it might struggle to keep up with the pace of an all-out-offensive battle, needing turns to set up Substitute and Calm Mind to function properly. Additionally, the defensive value this Chandelure set can provide is highly dependent on whether you can keep hazards off the field since Chandelure is susceptible to any kind of those, most notably Stealth Rock of course. When I speak of defensive value I'm mainly referring to its ability to check Scizor and Cobalion, although of course it can also make use of its two (three should you choose Flash Fire over Flame Body, which I don't recommend on this set though) immunities. As for problems Chandelure might face: Hydreigon would be the most common answer, resisting both of its STAB attacks and threatening to OHKO with Dark Pulse. Krookodile and Mega Aerodactyl are two more issues Chandelure will have to face, both of which are capable of trapping and removing it with Pursuit (switching with a Substitute up will help prevent that!). Frankly spoken, it is not hard to revenge kill Chandelure due to its weakness to common attack types (Ground, Water, Dark) despite the respectable amount of types it resists and is immune to. Now to answer your question, reliable hazard removal is my first piece of advice, Mantine comes to mind sporting immunities to two of the types I mentioned above while also sporting good special bulk to take on the most common Hydreigon set by far, Choice Scarf (people have been experimenting with more powerful sets lately though, be mindful of that!). When facing defensive cores, Chandelure appreciates help in the form of status spreading (Toxic) and hazards of your own, pressuring them to constantly heal, which grants turns for set up. There are various options to make use of for that, an example I thought of would be Nihilego, which is able to set up Toxic Spikes while also potentially functioning as a lure for bulky Water types such as Empoleon, Suicune and Swampert/Seismitoad with Z-Thunder or Z-Grass Knot, respectively. Lastly, you should acknowledge that in a good portion of games SubCM Chandelure might be unable to achieve much if anything of what it is intended to do. Keep in mind that CM Chandelure will prefer to excert pressure on defensive cores whose passiveness it can exploit, lacking the immediate attacking prowess (albeit still respectable) and more importantly speed, which both Choice Specs and Choice Scarf try to compensate for respectively. Therefore, building your entire team around SubCM Chandelure will prove to be difficult in practise, make sure you can fall back to a strategy that is not entirely focused on breaking fat cores but instead can carry its weight versus offensive teams as well (for they are much more common than stall).

Last edited:
Why is Houndoominite banned from UU? I couldn't find any detail explanations in any of the old threads and it's confusing how many Pokemon are in the BL tier this gen anyway. Is there a thread for it that someone could link me?

I'll give you the best explanation I can, but I might not get all the facts right. Here goes.

Mega Houndoom is pretty strong. It's not broken in a base state, nowhere near actually. It's a powerful special attacker that can still annoy offense. However, it was legal last generation. The key difference here is Drought. Last generation, Drought wasn't legal, so Houndoom wasn't broken, and it was actually BL2 I think. Come Sun/Moon, Drought's been made legal in UU, and it's relatively easily contained, bar one Pokemon : Mega Houndoom.

See, Mega Houndoom's ability is Solar Power. To quote Bulbapedia, "During harsh sunlight, Solar Power increases the Pokémon's Special Attack by 1.5×, but the Pokémon loses 1/8 of its maximum HP at the end of each turn." Paired with Drought, Houndoom suddenly had absurd levels of power ready to go at any time. I don't remember the specific calcs, but I think one of them was Blissey taking upwards of 70% off a sun-boosted Solar Power Fire Blast.

Now, sun as a whole wasn't broken, and it didn't make sense to ban an entire playstyle based on one mon's abusing it. So instead Mega Houndoom, and by extension Houndoomite as it allows mega evolution, was banned.

I see the thread, but I guess as someone who wasn't active during that time I wanted to see usage stats/replays/win percentages or something. Since the viability rankings get updated multiple times per thread I can't even find an easy list of what was legal in the meta, so I can tell based on discussion that M-Latias wasn't in the tier at the time and M-Swampert and Xurk were, but I dunno what other stuff was or wasn't in the tier at that time.

I'm asking because I'm fooling around with a custom server with a friend, so we are trying to figure out specifically what the problems are with Pokemon in BL that got them booted. There are a lot this gen, so it's hard to find dedicated threads for many of them, which makes it harder to pinpoint, doubly so since OU usage redefines the tier so frequently

Hello bois :v
I'm kinda new to UU (played it for a week by now) and I really start to like it! I am slowly starting to get better at team buildings but I still struggle to get around common threads as I'm always complete vunerable to something like scarfer for an example.
I wanted to sign up for the school 101 but they aren't taking anyone rn probably there are already too much + USUM.
What I am asking for is a mate I can ask things, or who takes the time to fully explain some things to me, because I can be really dense x3
I know there's the UU chat and I'm already active there, but I would be more comfortable with asking one person.

I'm completely fine if nobody would want to do that rn, I just felt like asking for it.

thank you in advance

What's a good EV spread for Mega Altaria? I see most people run 252 Atk / 252 Spe but is there a bulkier spread? Thinking DD / Frustration / Roost / EQ?

What's a good EV spread for Mega Altaria? I see most people run 252 Atk / 252 Spe but is there a bulkier spread? Thinking DD / Frustration / Roost / EQ?
Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 232 HP / 132 Def / 144 Spe
Impish Nature
- Return
- Dragon Dance
- Heal Bell / Cotton Guard
- Roost

This is a spread I use for DDD (Defensive Dragon Dance) Mega Altaria. This set isn't as good at sweeping offensive teams and needs a bit more support to actually sweep in general, but it provides a pretty good glue mon with its great typing and bulk to take on stuff like Crawdaunt, Infernape, and Mega Sharpedo (watch out for Ice Fang though), as well as serving as a cleric. It also can also serve as a good wincon vs bulkier balance and stall since it can power through passive stuff like Alomomola and Blissey with ease. It realistically only needs a bit of support i.e. removing the Steel-type (Magneton unless thay have a MLix in which case you might need to play a little more methodically) and occasional Amoonguss, and crippling the Quagsire via Sludge Bomb Poison or something along those lines. Unlike a lot of physical boosters it's not especially threatened by Quag in the same manner something like Swords Dance Cobalion or Scizor is, which is something I like as well. The EVs I have on this set are just to outspeed Cobalion at +1, and you can actually 1v1 it if it switches in since Iron Head barely 2HKOs you and Return will 2HKO in return.

calcs:
252 Atk Cobalion Iron Head vs. 232 HP / 132+ Def Altaria-Mega: 152-182 (43.5 - 52.1%) -- 14.1% chance to 2HKO
+1 0 Atk Pixilate Altaria-Mega Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Cobalion: 171-202 (52.9 - 62.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Hope this was helpful!

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 232 HP / 132 Def / 144 Spe
Impish Nature
- Return
- Dragon Dance
- Heal Bell / Cotton Guard
- Roost

This is a spread I use for DDD (Defensive Dragon Dance) Mega Altaria. This set isn't as good at sweeping offensive teams and needs a bit more support to actually sweep in general, but it provides a pretty good glue mon with its great typing and bulk to take on stuff like Crawdaunt, Infernape, and Mega Sharpedo (watch out for Ice Fang though), as well as serving as a cleric. It also can also serve as a good wincon vs bulkier balance and stall since it can power through passive stuff like Alomomola and Blissey with ease. It realistically only needs a bit of support i.e. removing the Steel-type (Magneton unless thay have a MLix in which case you might need to play a little more methodically) and occasional Amoonguss, and crippling the Quagsire via Sludge Bomb Poison or something along those lines. Unlike a lot of physical boosters it's not especially threatened by Quag in the same manner something like Swords Dance Cobalion or Scizor is, which is something I like as well. The EVs I have on this set are just to outspeed Cobalion at +1, and you can actually 1v1 it if it switches in since Iron Head barely 2HKOs you and Return will 2HKO in return.

calcs:
252 Atk Cobalion Iron Head vs. 232 HP / 132+ Def Altaria-Mega: 152-182 (43.5 - 52.1%) -- 14.1% chance to 2HKO
+1 0 Atk Pixilate Altaria-Mega Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Cobalion: 171-202 (52.9 - 62.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Hope this was helpful!
Also to add on to this, you could also run Refresh over Heal Bell on Altaria if your team already has a Cleric or you want to extend your status-healing abilities by 8 PP. Furthermore, you could run Facade over Return on a Cotton Guard set to help better deal with things like WoW Rotom-W or Scald users (Suicune, Swampert, and Seismitoad readily come to mind).

Accel

arise
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Are we getting an USUM speculation thread and if so when?
We have a channel dedicated for USUM speculation in the official UU discord (https://discord.gg/HzKB4Xk), so you can join that and contribute to the discussions there if you'd like. Other tiers' subforums have opened up speculation threads of their own recently, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone here took the initiative soon. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

e:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/usum-uu-speculation-thread.3620394/

Last edited:

fanyfan

i once put 42 mcdonalds chicken nuggets in my anus
I heard some people saying that Kommo-o, if its Z move gets banned, won’t be very good anymore and will go to the same place on the vr it did in sm. Is that true, or could there be merit to Kommo-o if its Z move gets banned thanks to other buffs it’s received (cc, sr)?

Accel

arise
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I heard some people saying that Kommo-o, if its Z move gets banned, won’t be very good anymore and will go to the same place on the vr it did in sm. Is that true, or could there be merit to Kommo-o if its Z move gets banned thanks to other buffs it’s received (cc, sr)?
Without its Z move, Kommo-o is merely a passable option in comparison to other, more worthwhile setup sweepers like Haxorus. The Z move is really what's turned it into such a fearsome force, otherwise it'd struggle to perform as well as it has recently. CC has definitely provided Kommo-o with a fantastic STAB option, and SR probably won't make any noticeable waves in UU, but I don't think either are helping Kommo-o's case enough to make it lucrative enough to use.

Sage

From the River To the Sea
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Is having Swampert and Tentacruel on the same team stacking too many weaknesses?
Nah, check out BushTush's team in UU player of the week, he's got them both and that's a very consistent team. Tentacruel and Swampert don't share a single weakness despite both being Waters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)