Walrus Nights with Ghostwheel [Won by Walrein]

I'm sharing this week with von so I'm posting early

Heyo. You may know me as that fucking math nerd, or even as a passable mafia player and host. If you've been to any walruses in the past couple months, though, you're more likely to remember me as that guy who always submits the best metal in the lineup each week. But I'm here for a change! I have a very open mind and I'm looking to expand upon my usual taste, so don't shy away even if you've hated everything I sent.

This is a competition where you send songs, I judge them, we listen to them. Points are gonna be 1-10 with one point added for podium. You may send anything sent in a past walrus, I don't care lol. I'm also not gonna be catfailing you unless you troll me. You can take the categories as inspiration. You can shitpost if you want, just tell me you're doing it. You can also ask me if I've heard something, as I do prefer new shit.

Categories

1. Best Foot Forward

Show me a song that you're happy to share with the world. You put this as your anthem on your Tinder profile, Facebook stalkers start playing this in your company, you're jamming to it on the radio or belting it out at karaoke. This song is part of who you are, and you own it.

DGM - Reason

2. Get Technical

Here I want to see something where it's obvious that an instrumentalist or vocalist is very talented at what they do. Exceptional range, difficult motifs, a thrilling solo section, even a unique tone or emotion can qualify here. There's a lot of wiggle room, so surprise me.

Liquid Tension Experiment - Paradigm Shift

3. Acquired Taste

Send me a song that took you awhile to get used to but you really enjoy now. You can't go wrong here, really.

Haken - Cockroach King

4. The Long Haul

There's a lot of really epic songs out there. Send me something longer than 7 minutes. You only get to send me one movement from a symphonic work, though. Only the top 5 get fullplayed, so stay frosty.

Seventh Wonder - The Great Escape

5. Rock Steady

Something with a really driving or deliberate beat fits here. It can be a march, rap, dirge or something uptempo that feels relentless. It can also be a number of other things, you don't need me to hold your hand.

Akira Takasaki - Rock Climbing (from Geneshaft)

6. Mood Lighting

Show me a song you would leave on in the background if you were having sex, or trying to get someone in the mood. Or if you were like, a virtuoso masturbator or something. Bonus points if you've actually done it. Don't send Barry White.

Frost* - Black Light Machine

7. Flying Free

Send me something with soaring vocals or instrumentals, not afraid to belt it out into the upper registers. Or something which draws on the concept of flying, freedom, or being liberated.

Blind Guardian - Fly

8. Radio Smogon

Stolen with love from von. Send me 2-5 songs and a title for your radio station. I'm not gonna grade on cohesiveness but it'd be nice. You can be creative or you can just submit an album or something. The top 20 is gonna get my favorite song fullplayed and the top 10 get the full station played.

About Me

The only thing you really need to know is if you expect me to listen to the lyrics and/or gain enjoyment out of the poetry of what's being said you're wasting your time. I like a lot of weird shit and I obviously like metal but the worst you can do is bore me. I want to be surprised and I want to embrace what you like.

I know these guys very well, please avoid sending them:

Soundtracks from any video game I've played (you can ask)
Blind Guardian
Bob Katsionis
Borealis
DGM
Dragonforce
Dream Evil
Dream Theater
Epica
Equilibrium
Firewind
Frost*
Gamma Ray
Haken
Iron Maiden
J.T. Bruce
Kamelot
Liquid Tension Experiment
Machinae Supremacy
Plini
Serenity
Seventh Wonder
Symphony X
Thank You Scientist
Threshold
To Mera
Twilightning
Violet Sun

If you're on the fence send a subpar set over nothing at all, I don't bite. Try to send the first 7 categories by next Monday, August 28

Contenders

RODAN
Walrein
Texas Cloverleaf
Myozoza
Asek
Da Letter El

Steven Snype
bluedoom

HealNDeal
Lord Gaius
Aubisio
ItsYaBoy1337
Yeti
Granny Pie
Eagle4
Martin
MK007
Galap
KnightsofCydonia
vonFiedler
Lightwolf

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)