Suggestions for Pokémon Showdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
[Bug] Transform doesn't change stats.
It does change the stats, but doesn't show the new stats when you mouse over, as this would let you determine the opponent's investment/nature when you otherwise could not. (see @ below)

Last edited by a moderator:

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Recently there was a change to /ds to display icons instead of names. I was hoping that there could be a toggleable option (maybe in chat settings) that /ds searches could be names instead of icons, and that at least broadcasted !ds searches could be just names rather than showing a list of icons? As it stands it's actually pretty distracting to see all the icons rather than just the names in chat.

update: I really do like that the names that have been added allow you to link directly to the dex, although I'd still appreciate an option to make the icons not show up. Keeping the direct link to the dex is actually a really good change imo, so if possible keeping that with just text dexsearch results would be nice.

Last edited:
You can set an OU filter in the teambuilder, just type in "OU" when searching for a Pokemon and click the filter button.
I am interested in pokemon of lower tiers too, and checking each tier one by one is simply out of the question.

It does change the stats, but doesn't show the new stats when you mouse over, as this would let you determine the opponent's investment/nature when you otherwise could not. (see @ below)
I gathered my information by testing Snorlax vs Ditto in OU. Snorlax was significantly stronger with every attack.

Adeleine

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I would like a doubles anything goes gamemode, I think that would be really fun!
Singles Anything Goes was made for Mega Rayquaza, but since Mega Rayquaza is not overpowering in (and is legal in) Doubles Ubers, it is unlikely that Doubles AG will be a metagame.

Singles Anything Goes was made for Mega Rayquaza, but since Mega Rayquaza is not overpowering in (and is legal in) Doubles Ubers, it is unlikely that Doubles AG will be a metagame.
I just feel that since anything goes also allows OHKOS, among other things banned in normal battles, it could be fun and show some unique strategies, and interesting teams if there was a doubles version, allowing some fun interactions with different pokemon, and could be at least something cool just because anything goes has some fun and unique things, doubles could bring some interesting team ideas into creation.

Adeleine

I just feel that since anything goes also allows OHKOS, among other things banned in normal battles, it could be fun and show some unique strategies, and interesting teams if there was a doubles version, allowing some fun interactions with different pokemon, and could be at least something cool just because anything goes has some fun and unique things, doubles could bring some interesting team ideas into creation.
There would indeed be differences, but I mentioned Mray to point out that singles AG was only created due to a unique and extreme situation where a Pokemon's forme had no place to be used (too OP for Uber); unless a similar situation arises for Doubles, while there would be advantages to having a Doubles AG, the fact is that it has a very low chance of actually happening.

There would indeed be differences, but I mentioned Mray to point out that singles AG was only created due to a unique and extreme situation where a Pokemon's forme had no place to be used (too OP for Uber); unless a similar situation arises for Doubles, while there would be advantages to having a Doubles AG, the fact is that it has a very low chance of actually happening.
Ok, I hadn't realized it was created for super broken pokemon, I just thought it was for people to be able to have fun with OHKOs and things of that nature.

/roomevents in most rooms is informative, however events scheduled weeks in advance do give dates, but not the absolute amount of time before the event is scheduled to begin. Since timezone naming gets quite confusing where DST is implemented, users from other countries may not know exactly when these events are scheduled. http://prntscr.com/fmvxaf is how the current table looks like. Would it be possible to add a fourth column, displaying 'time remaining', where the time remaining is the absolute time left in terms of days and hours? This could help users with scheduling and attendance. (The time remaining won't be a real-time countdown, instead it'll just show how much time is remaining when the command is entered)

Just wondering, have the Devs for Showdown considered/started work on a Pokémon Battle Royale, like in SuMo? Like, a Free For All. I'd love to try that here.

Amaluna

Somewhere between relatable and psychotic
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
If you're on a phone and there's a tournament in sign-up phase in a room you just joined, you won't be able to see what the format is because the ".. users" bar is blocking that part. Even if you unfold that tournaments bracket it will not help it. The only way to figure out the tournament format is by asking the chat or scrolling up to the point where the tournament was made. Which is not always possible in the bigger rooms such as tournaments.

Lionyx

is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
(I'm really not sure if this suggestion goes in this thread or not, so pls forgive me if it doesn't)

Many people complain a lot about being haxed and all, especially when they fight a low ladder player and lose a lot of points due to hax. Well, nothing can be done about it exactly because...crits and all, its a part of the game. But being haxed does affect your ladder ranking and all.

So I would suggest that if someone haxes you (crit, miss, freezing and not thawing out for the next 4 or more turns) without you getting a chance to equally hax him/her throughout the game, then it should be considered a loss, but the number of points won or lost should be reduced to one-fourth or one-eigth of the number of points you would normally win/lose. This way their ladder ranking won't be affected so much.
That would go against both the way Pokémon itself works and the ELO system works. It's part of the game and until then complaining about hax hasn't ever been taken seriously, mostly because these are the normal mechanics of the game even though they can be obnoxious sometimes. Luck is really a part of Pokémon battles and there will be no change to the ladder system that helps you if you're too unlucky.
(And I'm not even mentionning the ton of annoying policy discussions, debates and decisions, this suggestion would create if, by any chance, it ever got accepted.)

I'm not sure if anyone still watches this thread since the OP was meant to be edited with suggested ideas in a spoiler and that stopped after the first 5 lol but I'll try anyway.

It recently occurred to me that in Gen 7 it is possible to have full apparent IVs while also having any hidden power (HP) type you wish. However the only way to set your hidden power type without lowering your IVs is by choosing "Hidden Power [type]" as a move for your Pokémon. The problem with this is that the true IVs (or HP type) is relevant even when the Pokémon in question does not have HP in its moveset. For example a Mew with transform may want HP ground in case it transforms into a Magnezone, but also obviously wants the best IVs it can have, all without having HP as a move. This would be easily achievable in game by finding a Mew with the correct HP type and using Bottle Caps. However on the simulator you can either lower your IVs, thereby lowering your stats, or be stuck with having the default HP type (normally Dark). So the suggestion is, make a way to choose your HP type without having the move HP.
I'm not sure what would be the most straightforward way to implement this would be, maybe parallel settings for apparent IVs and actual IVs or maybe an additional drop-down box for HP type.
Thank you for reading and I hope I'll be able to fix my Mew's IVs soon :]

In addition to the current highlight list, a custom highlight list per room would be awesome. This'd be great for room staff to have "auth" or "staff" etc on highlight in the room/s where needed without getting notified from other rooms.

Another useful thing to have would be the ability to toggle tournament notifications per room. I think it would be a nice addition, being able to lurk in rooms where you're not too active without getting tour notifications specifically from those rooms, but still getting them from the rooms you want.

Just some ideas :]

I'd like a command that makes it where you edit roomevents. maybe something like /roomevents change [current event name] | [current event description] | [current event date/time] | [changed event name] | [changed event description] | [changed event date/time].

When dealing with any room that has room events listed, if any mistakes are made, you have to currently completely delete them and readd them which not only is annoying and difficult but it also messes up the order of the roomevents which likely are in date order before.

A

Joker fan
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
This sounds rather small but the ability to re-open the news tab after it has been closed would be nice (the direct news site does exist but i'm mentioning on how it should be accessible in PS directly) :o.

(without refreshing that is)

Hello PS Design Team / Zarel / whoever does this stuff,

I would like to suggest a notepad inside the teambuilder. It would be nice if I could brainstorm thoughts and put them in a small notepad in my teambuilder. It's always something I wanted (plus this is very useful for builders in general unlike the useless clipboard tool lol) and going between tabs or using split screen isn't the most desirable thing. So basically just a place for note-taking in the teambuilder.

Also, please implement back sprite of shiny Tapus :)

Thanks,
you guys rock!

Last edited:
Can there be a way to change text size in the desktop application? It could be in the web app too, but in the web app I can use my browser to zoom in and out, but not with the desktop app.

Ok, i know this is a long shot but here it goes:
I want to have a custom(fakemon) creator and battler section/tier/whatever-you-call-them. My friends and i have always loved the site and always dreamed of adding our own self-made garbage in fun little fights among our selves. Of course, this would be like "Custom Games" where you can't fight random opponents, it would be 100% not serious, and you have to personally request and accept. It could work like this:

Have the basic pokemon creation menu, but instead of having a photo of the pokemon, have a "Drag image here" or whatever to select an image to be used in the fight (One sprite for all, no back sprite or anything..). Then instead of nickname, do just "name". Add a new section for "Cry" which lets you drag a file; like the image, to sound when the pokemon is sent out. For moves have all the available moves and whatnot available so we can make our own custom moveset and all, but at the top of the list have "New" which lets you make a move name, power, pp, accuracy, and desc. (And these could maybe be exported like pokemon can as text). For stats, they could just be text boxes which you could type the number that you want the stat to
be (Ex. "Attack: [15], Defense: [105]") or something. It's OK to be completely broken, this isn't something people will use seriously.

I know this is just a long shot fantasy I have but if this was a thing it would make this all the much better. Thanks for considering. I never use forums so IDK how this works. I understand if this will never happen because this is meant to be a serious pokemon battling strategy creating program, but why not have some fun? ;)

Last edited:

Acast

Ghost of a Forum Mod & PS Room Owner
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Ok, i know this is a long shot but here it goes:
I want to have a custom(fakemon) creator and battler section/tier/whatever-you-call-them. My friends and i have always loved the site and always dreamed of adding our own self-made garbage in fun little fights among our selves. Of course, this would be like "Custom Games" where you can't fight random opponents, it would be 100% not serious, and you have to personally request and accept. It could work like this:

Have the basic pokemon creation menu, but instead of having a photo of the pokemon, have a "Drag image here" or whatever to select an image to be used in the fight (One sprite for all, no back sprite or anything..). Then instead of nickname, do just "name". Add a new section for "Cry" which lets you drag a file; like the image, to sound when the pokemon is sent out. For moves have all the available moves and whatnot available so we can make our own custom moveset and all, but at the top of the list have "New" which lets you make a move name, power, pp, accuracy, and desc. (And these could maybe be exported like pokemon can as text). For stats, they could just be text boxes which you could type the number that you want the stat to
be (Ex. "Attack: [15], Defense: [105]") or something. It's OK to be completely broken, this isn't something people will use seriously.

I know this is just a long shot fantasy I have but if this was a thing it would make this all the much better. Thanks for considering. I never use forums so IDK how this works. I understand if this will never happen because this is meant to be a serious pokemon battling strategy creating program, but why not have some fun? ;)
There are way too many opportunities for a troll to abuse this kind of a feature. Allowing people to use their own custom image for a pokemon is just inviting them to use something inappropriate (sexual, gory, etc). The same goes for the custom cry. On top of that, I feel like this feature would undermine the CAP project in a hurtful way. Why go through weeks of discussion and voting to create one pokemon when you can create one yourself in 2 minutes? I just don't see any benefit to a feature like this other than "it would be kind of fun".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)