SM OU Roserade Assault Core

Roserade Assault Core

Team at a glance:

Summary: This is a team I've been running for a couple days switching out Pokemon, as I wanted to build a team centered around dealing with threats that I have quite a bit of trouble with usually (Tapu Fini, Tapu Koko, Tapu Bulu, and Tangrowth, all of which Roserade very easily deals with bar the odd Koko running Brave Bird.) So I decided to post it to get advice and get some feedback on this team, and its weak points. So let's dive into this!

Disclaimer: Before anyone says anything, I'm not removing Roserade from the team, so if that's all you're here to post about, don't post about it. The team's called "Roserade Assault Core" for a reason.

Tapu Slayer

Roserade @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis

Let's dive into the glory that is Roserade. Tapu Koko can only 3HKO without Brave Bird, Fini can only 5HKO with Moonblast, and the only way Bulu can get a 2HKO is if it's banded with Wood Hammer, but Roserade always outspeeds and OHKOs anyways. Not to mention its ability to absolutely maim even maximum invested Assault Vest Tangrowth.

252 SpA Life Orb Roserade Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Bulu: 780-920 (277.5 - 327.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Roserade Sludge Bomb vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Fini: 299-354 (87.1 - 103.2%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Roserade Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Koko: 471-556 (167.6 - 197.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Roserade Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth: 268-320 (66.3 - 79.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Technician Roserade Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 128 SpD Scizor-Mega: 442-520 (128.8 - 151.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Roserade Leaf Storm vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 324-382 (101.5 - 119.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Technician Roserade Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 598-707 (187.4 - 221.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

While the tapus can't really do anything in return, and if they can, they're outsped.

252 SpA Magnet Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Roserade in Electric Terrain: 102-121 (39 - 46.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (Does more than HP Ice)
0 SpA Tapu Fini Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Roserade: 47-56 (18 - 21.4%) -- possible 5HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Tapu Bulu Wood Hammer vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Roserade in Grassy Terrain: 172-202 (65.9 - 77.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

Overall, it's meant to be a pseudo-special sponge and a reliable answer to the Tapus. While Lele can OHKO Roserade, it also can't switch into most of its attacks without fearing an OHKO or a 2HKO. Along with this, base 90 speed with a Timid nature IS workable as it outspeeds other key threats like Clefable, Rotom-Wash, Non-Jolly Lando-T, Hoopa U, and Excadrill.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Rock Slide
- U-turn

Landorus-Therian is an absolutely marvelous scarfed mon, and is one of the most splashable Lando sets that can be run in the current meta. Most people leave particular Pokemon in expecting to outspeed and OHKO, so the continued surprise factor is always nice. Not to mention how it OHKOs Pokemon such as Heatran, Char-X, Char-Y, Magearna, Volcarona, 2HKOs Toxapex, cripples Chansey and others with Knock Off, and maintains momentum and possibly outspeeds and OHKOs Greninja with U-Turn. Rock Slide is specifically for Charizards, Volcarona, and other Flying types such as Zapdos and has wonderful coverage with STAB Earthquake.

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

The main sweeper of my team, Dragon Dance Char-X blows through just about anything with its powerful boosted STAB moves, and anything that resists them such as Heatran is usually knocked out of the park by Earthquake. At +1 it outspeeds and OHKOs powerhouses such as Kyurem-B, Tapu Koko, Celesteela, Kartana, Gengar, Magearna, etc.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Atk / 24 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Defog
- Tailwind
- Roost
- Brave Bird

Skarmory is my utility attacker, although I put a little twist on this set. Defog is for clearing hazards, while Tailwind is for boosting Roserade and Skarmory itself to sweep, along with pushing the rest of my team to beyond Scarf levels of speed. Roost combined with Leftovers recovery is to maintain longevity, while the last slot is dedicated to STAB Brave Bird, which does a surprising amount of damage and gets some unexpected KOs on a multitude of Pokemon that would otherwise handle it well.

Greninja-Ash @ Life Orb
Ability: Battle Bond
Hasty Nature
- Water Shuriken
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn

Ash Greninja is the main LO attacker of my team, with wonderful coverage, STAB priority and fantastic attacking stats and speed. Water Shuriken will be used to transform Greninja, while Dark Pulse is your other main STAB. Ice Beam is meant for Lando-T, Zapdos, and other Pokemon that could otherwise nail Greninja, while U-turn is for increased mobility.

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flamethrower
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Dark Pulse

Scarfed Heatran forms the double scarf arrangement of my team, provides a fire immunity and wonderful coverage. Flamethrower is preferred over Fire Blast due to accuracy concerns, while Flash Cannon nails Faeires, Rocks and others that give it a hard time. Earth Power is specifically for other Heatran, and Dark Pulse is to nail specific threats that Heatran has trouble with along with a nice flinch chance.

U dont run u turn on ash greb for the damage so timid is better anyways.
Why wouldn't I run U-Turn on Ash-Gren? It helps with additional momentum + makes it so that I can nail Chansey on a predicted switch in and jump to a Pokemon that can deal with it.

Why wouldn't I run U-Turn on Ash-Gren? It helps with additional momentum + makes it so that I can nail Chansey on a predicted switch in and jump to a Pokemon that can deal with it.
I think you misunderstood SovereignC2. I think s/he meant "If you run U-turn on Greninja-Ash, then you use Timid. The reason being that U-turn is used for escape purposes and not damage." S/he wasn't trying to say "Don't use U-turn."

Besides, I'd avoid a Hasty nature since without a Hasty nature, you can better withstand random priority like Sucker Punch or Bullet Punch.

I think you misunderstood SovereignC2. I think s/he meant "If you run U-turn on Greninja-Ash, then you use Timid. The reason being that U-turn is used for escape purposes and not damage." S/he wasn't trying to say "Don't use U-turn."

Besides, I'd avoid a Hasty nature since without a Hasty nature, you can better withstand random priority like Sucker Punch or Bullet Punch.
Oh I see, so the additional damage given from a neutral nature over a negative nature isn't worth the lowered defense?

Hi BlackMalachite, that's a really cool team there! It's great to see someone build a team around a lesser used Pokémon.
Although I'm not an OU master or something, I'll give you my two cents.

Firstly, as others stated, Timid>Hasty on Greninja. The added power is not needed at all, and in the end it isn't worth the reduced bulk which makes it more susceptible to Physical attacks.

Second, Greninja really appreciates the raw power of Hydro Pump. You stated that Ice Beam is used for taking out Zapdos or Landorus-T, but those same Pokémon are 2HKOed and OHKOed by Hydro Pump, too.

252 SpA Life Orb Greninja-Ash Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos: 315-372 (82.2 - 97.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Greninja-Ash Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos: 289-341 (75.4 - 89%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery [OHKO after Stealth Rock]

Yes, it has a shaky accuracy but it is just worth it in the end. The switch makes Greninja fairly weaker against some Dragon-types and Grass-types, but you do have Landorus, Zard-X and Heatran to take care of them. However, if you don't like this change you could always go with Hydro Pump>Ice Beam OR U-Turn.

The next two changes are regarding Charizard-X.
Have a look at how crowded the tier between 299 and 328 Speed is.
Adamant Charizard-X
->Is Outsped by (Jolly) Excadrill, Landorus-Therian, Tapu Lele, Kyurem(both formes) and Hydreigon.
->Is Outsped (Adamant/Modest)Garchomp, Nihilego and Terrakion.
->Speed Ties with Salamence and Mega-Medicham.

I have mentioned all these Pokémon because they threaten Charizard-X, and in a one-on-one situation, they are all able to defeat Charizard-X. They outspeed Charizard-X.
Thus, Jolly>Adamant on Charizard-X.

The next change would have to be Flare Blitz>Fire Punch. After taking STAB and Tough Claws into consideration, Flare Blitz has a whopping 234 Power, while Fire Punch has only 147. The recoil is nasty, but the power difference is very noticeable.

Against Landorus-Therian:-
-1 252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Fire Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Landorus-Therian: 117-138 (36.6 - 43.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
-1 252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Landorus-Therian: 186-219 (58.3 - 68.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

And if you used Dragon Dance the turn Landorus-T switches in,

252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Fire Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Landorus-Therian: 175-207 (54.8 - 64.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Landorus-Therian: 277-327 (86.8 - 102.5%) -- [93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock]

Against Mega-Sableye:-
252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Fire Punch vs. 248 HP / 116 Def Sableye-Mega: 120-142 (39.6 - 46.8%) -- 35.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 116 Def Sableye-Mega: 192-226 (63.3 - 74.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Against Defensive Zapdos:-
252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Fire Punch vs. 248 HP / 240+ Def Zapdos: 130-154 (33.9 - 40.2%) -- 37.7% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 240+ Def Zapdos: 207-244 (54 - 63.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Against Mega-Venusaur:-
252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Fire Punch vs. 248 HP / 88 Def Thick Fat Venusaur-Mega: 126-150 (34.7 - 41.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 88 Def Thick Fat Venusaur-Mega: 200-236 (55 - 65%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Those are just a few calculations to prove how good Flare Blitz is.

You might have noticed me mention Stealth Rock. I suggest Stealth Rock>Tailwind on Skarmory. I do understand the usefulness of Tailwind, but Stealth Rock is just too good to pass, especially on an offensive team such as this, it becomes nigh-mandatory. It turns many 3HKOes into 2HKOes and 2HKOes into OHKOes.

That's it, let me know if these helped and have a nice day! :-)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)