NOC Popcorn Mafia 3 Game Thread

if i had to

town:
clouds - see directly above
flyhn - his aura vote feels the most innocuous to me but maybe its worth checking the context of it
celever - idk i feel like hes normal this game but maybe im just the wrong one. ive never had to read scum celever so im not the most confident about this
realiti - he just sort of has to be here for now because we cant solve him on posting alone
ls - some of the things shes said raise alarm bells for me but i kind of believe her explanations and i feel like shes putting more effort than she would as mafia. honestly shes putting in more effort than she normally even does as town
pulsar - like maybe she really did just bus aura because her read did flip kind of abruptly but idk the rest of the stuff i wanna tr but im open to being wrong
skip - the vote on aura here also has its pros and cons with it being pretty abrupt but like with pulsar, everything else makes me townread skip and i think he justified his vote well today and why it was so abrupt. and thats because it really wasnt

null/mixed:
oj - tonally hes town and i dont think hes doing anything overtly scummy like he did in ke2. i think hes more similar to his town game to his scum game which is why i placed a tr on him so early but i just. dont know how some of his decisions and reads in this game are real? its so brash and strange in a way that im not sure even oj would truly and authentically believe in
tommy - this is a townlean but i think the argument of him/aura being s/s is fair. tommy can skirt past the bussing accusations because a better term for his case on aura is distancing, a common practice that tommy employs himself. it makes sense but i also like most of his posting so maybe similar to pulsar in the vein of "good in a vacuum, partner equity with aura"
texas - if theres a deepwolf i feel like its this. maybe texas is just my regular scheduled tunnel target but i cant shake that it feels off. obviously im in the minority here and if thats for a reason then i accept it
jalmont - i kind of need to feel out jalmont first. i still think zippys posting was horrible but maybe the sub out indicates a different reason than alignment for that being the case. sorry zip
tbz - tabled
hydro - tabled
whydon - tabled
mc - i really got nothing. mc just doesnt really care about this game but i dont really feel like anything hes doing is all that different to how he was in vnv. like he was really just there, he didnt really react too hard to being pushed and almost killed, and then in endgame he popped up and helped solve. im not really sure if i feel comfortable shooting here

i would like to shoot here:
caff - like if caff was mafia would he at least course correct to try and stay alive? i lean towards no tbh, he likes to be dedicated to his humor and i think hed stick to what hes doing. doing that in itself creates a doubt in your mind because oh why wouldnt he start to adjust as mafia he must just be a throwing town but i wager no
chad - even if hes town, being the gunbearer will force him to play the game. he just doesnt have an excuse anymore. hes been prodded numerous times, hes been given the information he asked for, he said he would come in and do more d2 and he hasnt and theres not much time left for a turnaround. theres no reason not to shoot him

thats kind of strange lol. im underreading scum and i usually do the opposite so im not really sure what to make of it. maybe im just feeling cautious because theres a lot of emphasis placed on my reads being the confirmed slot and i dont wanna lead us astray. please remember that although im confirmed, i have as much information as you guys. actually i have even less because you have one person you know is town, and i dont. i can be wrong, dont sheep my reads

also the tiers here ARE ordered so for example i think clouds is townier than skip
Finally now I can AFK the phase

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
i like don't remember anything youve said this phase tbh

where are you at gamestate wise?
gamestate wise, i agree that starting to pick off some of the lhf is a good idea. chad i know nothing about other than the thoughts here in this thread, if he's town and giving him the gun will force him into activity and he's as experienced in mafia as people are saying, then im more down to shoot him than Caff but like, not by much. Caff's interaction with Tommy earlier today is just bizarre and i wanna see more from him which i think we can get without giving him the gun necessarily, whereas people seem of the opinion that Chad being inactive is a bizarre situation that may not change without some change in the situation.

interested at how little people are looking at whydon as lhf, but maybe im still a bit meta angry at his behavior in assist trophy? tbz hasn't done anything all phase that i remember either except for randomly accuse me of bussing, and my current "lhf people who aren't taking the game seriously" group is caff plus those two. whereas chad falls into a different group in my mind including folks like zippy(up to when jalmont subbed in) and flyhn of people who were seemingly seriously interfacing with the game when they were active.

i've not given too much thought since waking up towards non-lhf shoot targets, given that the conversation wasn't heading in that direction overnight as i've caught up. if you asked me last night i'd probably go "yeah ehmcee seems to be the primary wagon on an active user, and that's a wagon i'd be fine joining", but overnight my thoughts on texas have gotten a bit less sure after the psy-texas discussion about pressure. i also think i need to re-evaluate my celever view given that i kinda just didn't think about them at all but now i'm internalizing that they're intentionally not interfacing with the game which i'm not thrilled about

CaffeineBoost

6th Best Circus Poster of 2023
is a Community Contributor
gamestate wise, i agree that starting to pick off some of the lhf is a good idea. chad i know nothing about other than the thoughts here in this thread, if he's town and giving him the gun will force him into activity and he's as experienced in mafia as people are saying, then im more down to shoot him than Caff but like, not by much. Caff's interaction with Tommy earlier today is just bizarre and i wanna see more from him which i think we can get without giving him the gun necessarily, whereas people seem of the opinion that Chad being inactive is a bizarre situation that may not change without some change in the situation.

interested at how little people are looking at whydon as lhf, but maybe im still a bit meta angry at his behavior in assist trophy? tbz hasn't done anything all phase that i remember either except for randomly accuse me of bussing, and my current "lhf people who aren't taking the game seriously" group is caff plus those two. whereas chad falls into a different group in my mind including folks like zippy(up to when jalmont subbed in) and flyhn of people who were seemingly seriously interfacing with the game when they were active.

i've not given too much thought since waking up towards non-lhf shoot targets, given that the conversation wasn't heading in that direction overnight as i've caught up. if you asked me last night i'd probably go "yeah ehmcee seems to be the primary wagon on an active user, and that's a wagon i'd be fine joining", but overnight my thoughts on texas have gotten a bit less sure after the psy-texas discussion about pressure. i also think i need to re-evaluate my celever view given that i kinda just didn't think about them at all but now i'm internalizing that they're intentionally not interfacing with the game which i'm not thrilled about
To answer stuff about my interaction w/ Tommy, all three "slips" are jokes that I just posted for fun. Nothing more, nothing less. I mostly TR Dusk after the interaction because he seems genuinely annoyed at me.

Idk why Dusk said I was frozen for 20 mins when I responded to him in 2. That's what's causing me to doubt him a bit. I'm weighing up the likelihoods that scum!Dusk would come across as tonally angry at me vs the likelihood that town!Dusk would come up with 20 minutes out of nowhere.

There are two reasons why I'm playing so strangely. Feel free to make that three reasons if you think I'm scum :psysly:

1. This is a 13v6 mountainous if we just play this regularly with a vote system and all that. Seems a bit lopsided to me since 17p games are 13v4 and I'd expect a 19p game to be somewhere along the lines of 15v4 or 14v5, so clearly something's different. I suppose we have 1 IC at all times, but idt that'd push it into 13v6. I'm not a mafia setup theory expert but if you add a vengeful goon to that, feels pretty oof for town. As a result, I want to play unconventionallyish to try and introduce something else to shake things up. This is why I'll be hero shooting if I get the gun. At the worst, I die and you go back to your regularly scheduled mafia game, at the funniest I go ham. Seems like fun. Speaking of fun:

2. I just want to have some fun. Entertain a little bit. I never intended to be high effort scumhunting because I don't really have the energy to ISO people and analyse everyone's posts, so I'm just sifting through the thread when I can and seeing what pings me. Is this method working? Idk, probably not, but I doubt it'd be significantly different to me when I try harder.

3 (optional). I'm scum. I can defend this point with what I think is good insight on my meta (i.e. how I feel when I play both alignments). As scum, I am nervous. I hate being scum. This in turn makes me pressured to do well and not let my teammates down. In most games, if you're town, you're just a fraction of what happens if you fuck up. If you're scum, you're a lot more responsible and I fear that losing would be completely my fault. I suck at pushing any sort of agenda as scum because I fear I'll be caught. I'm a lot happier to be sacked as scum because I don't want my teammates to be dragged down into the grave with me. People in the Samoyd OC game (book mafia) will note that I often deliberately went against the grain of my scum team because I didn't want it to look like such an obvious power play, and to potentially save my skin if it failed. In my last scum game, I managed to get someone (idr who) spewed green for a good chunk of the game (obviously I don't deserve all the credit there, but I think that telling my teammates to bus me when I did contributed to it).
But self!meta =/= meta so eh, take anything I say there with a pinch of salt.

Anyway I have a much more important post to make which will directly follow this one. Stay tuned folks.

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor
Wanted to pop in rq, is end of phase in a little under 12 hours?
I will realistically not really be around for EoD (maybe getting here in the last like, 30 minutes)

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
Wanted to pop in rq, is end of phase in a little under 12 hours?
I will realistically not really be around for EoD (maybe getting here in the last like, 30 minutes)
psy has stated they intend to shoot early

caff - i dont think you're acting strange is the thing, you're acting like average for the scum games ive seen which is "does not invest" - that post of yours feels like the first i've read from you that i haven't immediately had to go, "okay, file away/disregard as not conductive to moving the game forward"

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor
Does anyone have the vote count on who was voting for an AG shot so I can analyze the reasons
Did this ever happen

Like imo the vote tn is between chaos slot Caff and afk slot you, I'm leaning on your slot rn because I just haven't seen enough contribution from you at all.

I want some content

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)