Ask simple questions here! [READ ORIGINAL POST before posting]

autumn

only i will remain
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
C&C Leader
for some time, the pokemon showdown showed the total damage of the moves, calculated the STAB, is there any way or some filter that I can use that does the same? that it shows the calculated total damage of the move?
those tooltips were removed because they were inaccurate; stab doesn't increase base power, it's just a modifier to the whole damage calc

In the damage calculator, is there a reason why it always prefers the Pokémon which is over twice the level of the other, even when the moves have been chosen so that the underlevelled Pokémon outdamages? Example: 252+ SpA Choice Specs Flash Fire Level 10 Arcanine Overheat vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Level 50 Sandshrew-Alola: 124-148 (99.2 - 118.4%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO. But the damage calculator resolutely refuses to show this as the best move, preferring 252 SpA Level 50 Sandshrew-Alola Icy Wind vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Level 10 Arcanine: 40-48 (85.1 - 102.1%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO. (Note that the moves have been exaggerated for the purposes of the calculation; I actually wanted to reproduce a video of a Level 3 Arcanine OHKOing a Level 100 Sandshrew-Alola and was exasperated by the fact the damage calculator kept on promoting the Sandshrew-Alola's blank set.)

In the damage calculator, is there a reason why it always prefers the Pokémon which is over twice the level of the other, even when the moves have been chosen so that the underlevelled Pokémon outdamages? Example: 252+ SpA Choice Specs Flash Fire Level 10 Arcanine Overheat vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Level 50 Sandshrew-Alola: 124-148 (99.2 - 118.4%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO. But the damage calculator resolutely refuses to show this as the best move, preferring 252 SpA Level 50 Sandshrew-Alola Icy Wind vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Level 10 Arcanine: 40-48 (85.1 - 102.1%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO. (Note that the moves have been exaggerated for the purposes of the calculation; I actually wanted to reproduce a video of a Level 3 Arcanine OHKOing a Level 100 Sandshrew-Alola and was exasperated by the fact the damage calculator kept on promoting the Sandshrew-Alola's blank set.)
At the top where it has both Pokemon's listed moves, you can click on the move you want to see the calc for. Double click to keep it on the same move as you change the target's set.

Also just for fun that's a level 1 Arcanine against a level 100 Sandshrew-A.

Recent change to the damage calc makes it prioritize the highest damaging move of the fastest pokemon.

Double click to keep it on the same move as you change the target's set.
Aha, this is what I needed, thanks!
Also just for fun that's a level 1 Arcanine against a level 100 Sandshrew-A.
Hmm, that's not quite the setup I was trying to reproduce - it was level 3 but it didn't have Helping Hand and the Sandshrew-Alola was only at -2 due to Forests's Curse and no stat drops, but the video still showed the Arcanine OKHOing it.

Ceteris Paribus

I am inevitable.
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hello, ive been looking around and I cant see the place where I can report players who broken the https://pokemonshowdown.com/rules
during a battle? I cant find it anywhere. Thanks for reading.
You can report someone by going to the help room on PS! and PM a moderator (@) in the room, I’d advise you also have some sort of evidence of the said incident too. If not you can also try to contact someone by using the “/helpticket” command in the chat.

Raidx

Banned deucer.
Does rfaq support html? I wanna hyper link a google doc but it seems I have to use the url link which is pretty messy.

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
If you mean wiping your old modlog of all offenses, no there isn't. Your modlog is basically a record of every moderation action taken by or against you. We check this information as necessary, and wiping it wouldn't help. If your concerned about old punishments coming back to bite you, everything is time stamped, so a mute from 3 months ago isn't going to do much if anything, nor is a lock from a year ago.

Is there any command to duplicate a battle room for admin?
I would like to copy the state of a battle and paste it in a new battle room.

Why has the max speed that a Pokémon can have in Custom Games been set to 8191?
Also what is the reasoning behind the other limits, like 24 moves and 24 Pokemon? Is Custom Game based on something ingame, like what people can do with hacking?

Why has the max speed that a Pokémon can have in Custom Games been set to 8191?
The mechanics of speed calculation cause it to wrap around after 8191, which may be relevant here.
Also what is the reasoning behind the other limits, like 24 moves and 24 Pokemon? Is Custom Game based on something ingame, like what people can do with hacking?
I think it's just to avoid overloading the client. The nearest format to in-game hacking is Classic Hackmons.

Note that 8192 equals 2^13.

>> (8191).toString(2)
<< "1111111111111"
I had already noticed this but I failed to see why 13 was so special that they would limit the speed to 13 bits. I still wonder why the main games would limit speed to 13 bits, considering it is possible to legitimately surpass 8191 speed.

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
I had already noticed this but I failed to see why 13 was so special that they would limit the speed to 13 bits. I still wonder why the main games would limit speed to 13 bits, considering it is possible to legitimately surpass 8191 speed.
This post should answer your Speed questions: http://www.smogon.com/forums/posts/7325403/.
Basically, it's a combination of arbitrary and a mistake.

Hi, I do not know if I'm on the right forum but I try: there is in Little Cup a list of pokémons banished quite consistent (I do not dispute at all their power), but some of them deserve an explanation
* we understand that Vulpix was ban for Drought: why not forbid this ability since it is the only one to have in LC? Is this a sacrifice for the example (I doubt that Vulpix with Flash Fire outclasses Ponyta)?
* ditto for Meditite, who is an eternal banished: why on Earth do not ban instead Pure Power (where he is still the only LC to know)? It isn't nonetheless unusable: it has a unique double-type in addition to an interesting coverage.
* it's more complicated for Porygon. I guess Z-Conversion is the thing that set fire to the powder (but the pokemon is already extremely cumbersome in itself: it would have been suspect-test anyway). It seems to me that it was not envisaged to first prohibit this move, then to check the influence of Porygon LC if it is still broken.
I understand the argument to avoid complex banns but the examples cited are absolutely not. Take the example of the Middle Cup in 6G: Combusken is ban for Speed Boost (but Whirlipede is not broken); Protean (Frogadier) and Contrary (Servine) are forbidden abilities because a single pokemon learns it in this format

Last edited:
Hi, I do not know if I'm on the right forum but I try: there is in Little Cup a list of pokémons banished quite consistent (I do not dispute at all their power), but some of them deserve an explanation
* we understand that Vulpix was ban for Drought: why not forbid this ability since it is the only one to have in LC? Is this a sacrifice for the example (I doubt that Vulpix with Flash Fire outclasses Ponyta)?
* ditto for Meditite, who is an eternal banished: why on Earth do not ban instead Pure Power (where he is still the only LC to know)?
* it's more complicated for Porygon. I guess Z-Conversion is the thing that set fire to the powder (but the pokemon is already extremely cumbersome in itself: it would have been suspect-test anyway). It seems to me that it was not envisaged to first prohibit this move, then to check the influence of Porygon LC if it is still broken.
I understand the argument to avoid complex banns but the examples cited are absolutely not. Take the example of the Middle Cup in 6G: Combusken is ban for Speed Boost (but Whirlipede is not broken); Protean (Frogadier) and Contrary (Servine) are forbidden abilities because a single pokemon learns it in this format
LC should have its own SQSA thread.

I love Pokemon Showdown, but I do always feel that it lacks an important thing: a built in tool to take notes during team building. I usually forget the details of my pokemon's sets and other important things. I know that I have a ton of external software to do this, but its not the same to have it separated.
How could I propose this to the PS's developers?

autumn

only i will remain
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
C&C Leader
I love Pokemon Showdown, but I do always feel that it lacks an important thing: a built in tool to take notes during team building. I usually forget the details of my pokemon's sets and other important things. I know that I have a ton of external software to do this, but its not the same to have it separated.
How could I propose this to the PS's developers?
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/suggestions.3534365/

Anyone know why this happens? I have several ubers teams but the team tab doesn't change from random. Refreshing only fixes this sometimes.
Screen Shot 2018-01-07 at 13.48.29.png

Sondero

Don't you dare say you'd rather lose!
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Anyone know why this happens? I have several ubers teams but the team tab doesn't change from random. Refreshing only fixes this sometimes.
View attachment 96450
It seems to mostly just happen when selecting a format too quickly after letting the page load. Try switching to another format like OU and then switch back or waiting 5-10 seconds after refreshing and letting the page load, then select ubers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)