Simple Questions/Requests - Mark 48 (Minor Pokemon Trades, Item Requests etc GO HERE) (NO HACKING)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So minor question, why is it that Pokemon such as Nidoking and Tapu KoKo have sets based around special attacking and being specially biased on some sets where they have a lower special attack. This has always confused me as sometimes that few points could make or break a KO I:E that one frustrating point of HP on a wall that you almost OHKO'd.
This is kinda the same issue that was brought up a couple posts ago regarding Pikachu. It has higher ATK than SpA and its Signature move Volt Tackle is Physical, yet Pikachu is more a Special Attacker.
Yeah, that is something that confused me as well. (Actually, this is also the first I've heard of Koko having more Attack than Special Attack.)
It depends on the Pokemon. Lots of Pokemon have really weird movesets that lend them to one set or another. Sure, you could run a physical Tapu Koko with things like Wild Charge, but it doesn't have access to a physical Fairy move, which it wants for coverage. It also gets access to special moves like Grass Knot, which is better suited to a special set. Thus, in order to keep that coverage, you run a special set on it. Furthermore, it also depends on what that Pokemon is going to be facing. Given how bulky the meta was in Gen 6 (Gen 7 is abit in flux), and how physical it was, physical Pokemon need a lot of power to break through targets, beacuse they would often face Pokemon with high defense. However, since special Pokemon were rarer, people didn't find a reason to run special defense sets as often. Thus, special Pokemon became better, beacuse they would often face threats they could deal loads of damage to. Of course, Gen 7 Meta is in flux, so who knows where Tapu Koko might end up.
Thank goodness this cleared things up.

But, imo, while I can give Koko a free pass from being more of a physical attacker, Nidoking and Nidoqueen are getting no such luck from me. (They get strong physical STAB for both of their types, unlike Koko). Might as well make physical sets for them.

But first, for absolutely no reason, what would be a good Ball for Nidoking? And what about Nidoqueen?

Can someone help me decide the best matching ball for:Shiny Sableye(was thinking friend since it matches the green gem) shiny Noctowl(fast or level?) and shiny Fortress(idk fast maybe). I really wish there was a proper golden ball or maybe bring back the park ball.

Yeah, that is something that confused me as well. (Actually, this is also the first I've heard of Koko having more Attack than Special Attack.)

But, imo, while I can give Koko a free pass from being more of a physical attacker, Nidoking and Nidoqueen are getting no such luck from me. (They get strong physical STAB for both of their types, unlike Koko). Might as well make physical sets for them.

But first, for absolutely no reason, what would be a good Ball for Nidoking? And what about Nidoqueen?
I didn't know that Koko had more Attack and Special Attack. Very interesting.

Can someone help me decide the best matching ball for:Shiny Sableye(was thinking friend since it matches the green gem) shiny Noctowl(fast or level?) and shiny Fortress(idk fast maybe). I really wish there was a proper golden ball or maybe bring back the park ball.
I would say either Nest Ball or Dusk Ball.

I have an IRL tournament coming up where the rules are much different from any of Smogon's. No legendaries whatsoever are allowed, and other than Type: Null and Silvally, anything else (including non-legendary Ubers such as Mega Kangaskhan and Aegislash) goes. Would this thread be an appropriate place to ask for brief help planning a team for that tournament? It doesn't really fit anywhere else that I can think of (except maybe Orange Islands).

Christian

Veni, vidi, vici
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Looking for an Impish HP Ice Landorus. Can offer multiple bred shinies and RNG abused legends in return

EDIT: Also looking for a Kanto Level ball Diglett with Screech, Memento and Reversal

Last edited:

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Thanks. I don't have any of the battle items but I don't need all of them since I do have some BP. Can you trade now?
Yes, I can trade now. Also feel free to let me know what battle items you need.
In addition to the Destiny Knot I can give you up to 10 battle items of your choice for free.

Yes, I can trade now. Also feel free to let me know what battle items you need.
In addition to the Destiny Knot I can give you up to 10 battle items of your choice for free.
Sorry, just realised I can't trade for a few hours. Also, I just figured out that I don't need any battle items, only the destiny knot.

Hey guys I am just looking for a gible with its hidden ability Rough Skin. Open to most trades and will check and see what I have if you are looking for anything. Thank you

Special sets are preferred over Physical sets on Nidoking/Nidoqueen because they benefit more from Sheer Force. Sheer Force Earth Power, Sludge Wave, and Ice Beam are all stronger than their Physical counterparts, even coming off their lower Special Attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)