SMOGON KARAOKE 2012 ROUND 2: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO

Chill Murray

get well soon jacoby..
Hello, Smogon, and welcome to 2012's edition of Smogon Karaoke, where the votes don't matter and the prizes are non-existent. Once again, I'm your host, Chill Murray.

Last round featured a late entry getting a surprise surge in votes and finally edging out the second place entrant by a single vote. Congrats to STONE'S DAD! Sadly, the $500 secret prize I was going to give out was for members of the site only, so instead Stone's dad will just have the achievement of singing better than a bunch of socially awkward kids on a Pokemon website.

Anyway, on to the next round!

FOREIGN LANGUAGES!

March 5-11 will be National Foreign Language Week in the United States this year, and since the tail end of this round is during that time, we'll do something to commemorate it. For this round, participants must choose a song that is in a language other than their native tongue.

Here are some specifics:
  • Since this is an international website, English will not be the first language for many users. Please keep this in mind before calling bullshit on anyone's entry.
  • If a song has a few words in your native language but is mostly in another language, you can still use it. Mostly is the key word here. If you question whether or not your song should count, find a different song.

Karaoke rules:
  • You have ten days to submit your entry. Since this round begins on February 26th, you have until 11:59 pm of March 6th to submit your entry, at which point voting will begin. Voting will last four days, at which point a new round will begin.
  • You are permitted to reserve a song for three days. If the three days come and pass and you still haven't posted your entry, the song becomes fair game and you will not be permitted to reserve another song until the next round.
  • You are allowed to submit entries after the deadline for any particular round, but keep in mind that once people vote in the poll they can't change their votes.

Here are some sites that will work for uploading your entries:

http://soundcloud.com/
http://tindeck.com/

Also, this is a rather nifty program for recording your entries!

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Voting hasnt finished for the other round man..

I havent finished listening to all the submittals even.

Whilst maybe not bullshit I would say that this being an English speaking (or writing whatever) forum doing it in English would probably be rather boring.

If I can find the time I'll do Gorillaz - Latin Simone, which is in I think Spanish?

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I've got to say I believe it would be a bit lame if there were too many Spanish entries.. it seems like the easier go-to foreign language. Italian and French as well I suppose but I'm still really hoping to hear some French in this contest.

If I were to wish for one last thing, it is that people do not pick a foreign language rendition of an English song. That would be exceptionally lame.

Chill Murray

get well soon jacoby..
Um, I'm not a native English speaker but it's my primary language now. Does that mean both languages I speak are off-limits?
The official stance will be that you will be allowed to sing in English, but you'll probably be shunned for doing so.

Shunned.

Vincent said:
If I were to wish for one last thing, it is that people do not pick a foreign language rendition of an English song. That would be exceptionally lame.
Shunning will also occur in this circumstance. Songs that had English translations done after the fact will not be subject to shunning.

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Against my better judgement, sure.

Reserving Richie Valens - La Bamba[/B

i know i'm so creative

edit: nevermind i'll do something different

I knew my Vocaloid/manga fandom would come in use someday... heh heh... I think my nerd is showing...

Decisions decisions...

Chill Murray

get well soon jacoby..
Can I do dual language song if at least half of the words are in a different language?
If a song has a few words in your native language but is mostly in another language, you can still use it. Mostly is the key word here. If you question whether or not your song should count, find a different song.
Unless neither of the languages are your native language, then I'd say no.

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
you know, English is my 3rd language,

so i guess the question here is, how much shunning are we talking about if i do an english song wer?

EDIT: dont bother answering this question wer, i was obviously joking (the English being my 3rd language part wasn't a joke), plus i really really like the song i've already reserved anyways

So for an Indian guy whose first language is English, we can do Hindi/Kannada/Tamil, etc songs right?

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Like others, at first I thought this would be hard, but then I remembered a song I've sung at church before that was a translation of a Spanish song.

Tómalo by Hillsong United

I'll get to recording.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
it's too bad Caress Me Down is only like half Spanish and not mostly Spanish. I'd totally rock that shizzle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)